PDA

View Full Version : Kind of interesting...

czalgosz
03-11-2002, 12:45 AM
I looked at Baseball America's top 10 prospect list for the Sox from last year, to see how those guys are doing now...

1. Jon Rauch - 6 starts at AAA Charlotte before being shut down for the season for shoulder surgery. Seems to be recovered. Possibility for starter's role out of Spring Training, will be in Chicago's starting rotation by season's end if healthy.

2. Joe Borchard - Had a very impressive .893 OPS at AA Birmingham. Supposedly handled transition to centerfield from right well. Will almost certainly start the season at AAA Charlotte; will be part of the everyday outfield in some form in 2003.

3. Joe Crede - spent the entire 2001 season blocked. Had an .811 OPS for AAA Charlotte, but only got 50 ABs for the big club, batting .220. Will spend most of the 2002 season blocked as well, unless someone gets hurt or a trade happens. Will almost certainly be starting third baseman for 2003 team.

4. Matt Ginter - dominated AAA (2.59 ERA, 67 Ks in 76 innings) but had trouble at the major-league level (5.22 ERA). Is on the bubble for a relief spot for 2002, but is at the top of the Sox depth charts for relief. Thought of as having closer potential.

5. Dan Wright - made the jump to the big club after going 7-7, 2.82 for AA Birmingham last season, but struggled, going 5-3 with a 5.70 ERA. Has the best fastball on the club, but control is an issue. Is in contention for a starter's spot out of Spring Training.

6. Lorenzo Barcelo - was shut down for his second career season-ending surgery after 17 relief appearances last season. He is in contention to make the 2002 team out of spring training, but his health is a major issue. Went from top of the depth chart to a marginal player practically overnight.

7. Brian West - Had a decent season for high-A Winston-Salem (7-12, 3.46 ERA, with 130 Ks in 169 IP), but fell on the Sox depth charts due to the advance of others, like Malone and Guerrier. He's probably trade bait at this point.

8. Aaron Rowand - Opened a lot of eyes in 2001. After being passed over for Julio Ramirez for an opening-day roster spot, he was recalled mid-season from AAA Charlotte and didn't disappoint, posting an .816 OPS in 123 ABs. He also showed good defensive skills, making the adjustment to play centerfield very quickly. His rapid progress turned Carlos Lee from an untouchable into the subject of many trade rumors.

9. Josh Fogg - was disappointing at AAA Charlotte, going 4-7 with a 4.79 ERA. Did impress in a September call-up, posting a 2.03 ERA and striking out 17, walking only 3 in 13 innings. Was traded to Pittsburgh as part of the package that brought Todd Ritchie to the South Side.

10. Jason Stumm - only appeared in the Arizona Fall League for the Sox last season, apparently battling injury for the entire 2001 season. Is still considered a top prospect.

Anyway, I guess this list proves the old adage, "there's no such thing as a pitching prospect."

RichH55
03-11-2002, 12:49 AM
Good line , but after seeing about 12 prospect lists this offseason I would be curious to see how the others fared...anyone with Fogg as a top ten prospect for us doesn't exactly sound like the end-all be-all of baseball knowledge

czalgosz
03-11-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Good line , but after seeing about 12 prospect lists this offseason I would be curious to see how the others fared...anyone with Fogg as a top ten prospect for us doesn't exactly sound like the end-all be-all of baseball knowledge

Sorry, this is LAST year's prospect list... It's more to see how they've progressed since then.

CLR01
03-11-2002, 12:55 AM
Why is Lorenzo Barcelo on that list? Hasnt he pasted the prospect stage.

czalgosz
03-11-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
Why is Lorenzo Barcelo on that list? Hasnt he pasted the prospect stage.

Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear. This is the prospect list from last season (before the 2001 season). I wanted to look at those 10 guys and see how they did, and where they are now.

Vsahajpal
03-11-2002, 01:45 AM
where's Kris Honel?

just kidding
:)

kermittheefrog
03-11-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Anyway, I guess this list proves the old adage, "there's no such thing as a pitching prospect."

That's why I don't get why certain publications have Mark Prior second on their prospect list. I'd rather have Mark Texeira out that draft.

Vsahajpal
03-11-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

That's why I don't get why certain publications have Mark Prior second on their prospect list. I'd rather have Mark Texeira out that draft.

I have an idea as to why

Ken Rosenthal at The Sporting News:

Righthander Mark Prior, the No. 2 pick in the country last year, showed remarkable polish striking out seven in a three-inning appearance against the White Sox's "A" lineup, and appears destined to reach the majors before the All-Star break.

Curt Schilling examined tapes of Prior before last year's draft, and told Diamondbacks officials it was like watching a big-league pitcher in a college uniform. . .

RichH55
03-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Sorry, this is LAST year's prospect list... It's more to see how they've progressed since then.

Don't worry man..I read it correctly:) Was just saying that after seeing how different publications rank guys very differently for this years crop, that I assumed they did it last year as well...and even last year there was no way Fogg should have been ranked that high.....but a good idea on the progression thing