PDA

View Full Version : Jim Parque on comeback trail.

veeter
01-05-2007, 11:52 AM
According to MLBtraderumors.com, one James Parque will be holding an open tryout in Feb. He's 31 now. I figure the cubs can sign him for what, about $5 mil. Hopefully he gets signed.

rainbow6
01-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Somewhere, Mike Cameron is headed for the bat rack....

TheOldRoman
01-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Mike Cameron has been playing all along.

EMachine10
01-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I was just gonna post this...ESPN Insider lists chisox as one of the possible interested teams, but did not talk about any teams' interest in the little blurb. Take it for what it's worth, i guess. Glad to see him close again.

skottyj242
01-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I used to love this guy.

CHISOXFAN13
01-05-2007, 12:21 PM

http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=3765

ND_Sox_Fan
01-05-2007, 01:02 PM
ESPN Insider lists chisox as one of the possible interested teams.

I thought Kevin Hickey was doing a fine job as our left-handed BP pitcher.

caulfield12
01-05-2007, 01:07 PM
According to MLBtraderumors.com, one James Parque will be holding an open tryout in Feb. He's 31 now. I figure the cubs can sign him for what, about $5 mil. Hopefully he gets signed.

Are Snyder and Biddle also holding tryouts? Maybe Sirotka, Baldwin, Barcelo and Dellaero? Have we offered Kieschnick again?

cheeses_h_rice
01-05-2007, 02:18 PM

*****!!!

:redneck

cheeses_h_rice
01-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Are Snyder and Biddle also holding tryouts? Maybe Sirotka, Baldwin, Barcelo and Dellaero? Have we offered Kieschnick again?

Dude, you forgot Jesus Pena and Jose Breadandwater.

JUribe1989
01-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Parque was one of my favorite pitchers when he was on the team. Man, if we could get him back as a fifth starter and he were effective it would be an unbelievable story. Now, there is almost no chance in the world that would happen, but would that be cool or what?

areilly
01-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Dude, you forgot Jesus Pena and Jose Breadandwater.

KELLY WUNSCH BABY!!!

Huisj
01-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Then we could get Eldred to come out of retirement again, and we could put together the "remember the millennium" rotation from the 2000 AL Central champs team!

delben91
01-05-2007, 03:44 PM
KELLY WUNSCH BABY!!!

Vic Darensbourg? (Probably not even close on the spelling).

I bet Chris Snopek or Jeff Abbott could've been the next Kieschnick.

Nick Altrock
01-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Parque was one of my favorite pitchers when he was on the team. Man, if we could get him back as a fifth starter and he were effective it would be an unbelievable story. Now, there is almost no chance in the world that would happen, but would that be cool or what?

Hey, if Boone Logan doesn't pan out as our LOOGY, maybe we can try Parque. I still remember that ultra-smooth delivery of his to home plate.

crazyozzie02
01-05-2007, 04:22 PM
KELLY WUNSCH BABY!!!

Kelly wasnt that bad though. I thought that we just got rid of him because we had no room for him on the team, plus his recent injuries

Nick Altrock
01-05-2007, 04:25 PM
KELLY WUNSCH BABY!!!

What about Juan Agosto???

StillMissOzzie
01-05-2007, 04:27 PM

Dusty was whining to the press once that one of their problems was a lack of a left-handed BP pitcher. Parque could fill that job in a heartbeat, if Hendry doesn't sign him to the MLB roster first.

SMO
:gulp:

BeviBall!
01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Another guy that would be rock solid until the 5th inning. The kid had guts though and a ferrari he sold on ebay. (Or was it his house?)

CLR01
01-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Another guy that would be rock solid until the 5th inning. The kid had guts though and a ferrari he sold on ebay. (Or was it his house?)

It was his Porsche. His fiancée made him sell it before she moved him to New York. :roflmao:

CLR01
01-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Mike Cameron teed off on Butter May 2, 2002. It was the game he hit 4 homeruns.

areilly
01-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Kelly wasnt that bad though. I thought that we just got rid of him because we had no room for him on the team, plus his recent injuries

I know, I was just taking a trip down recent-memory lane.

Come to think of it, maybe the presence of veterans like Parque, Sirotka and Wunsch could help struggling young pitching prospects like Jon Garland and Mark Buerhle adjust to facing big-league competition...

Domeshot17
01-05-2007, 09:33 PM
According to MLBtraderumors.com

Enough said

palehosepub
01-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Dont know if you saw this but Jim Parque is making a comeback. Small news item but interesting when guys like Ted Lilly get $40 million dollars you cant blame Parque for trying. Supposedly he's throwing 90 mph fastballs now which is something he never did before he was injured!!! I have to give him credit for his gutsy performance in an otherwise weak effort by the Palehose in the 2000 ALDS. I hope he sticks with somebody, the Sox are supposedly rumored by ESPN as being a possible interested party but that is probably a longshot. Per espn.com:
"Left-handed pitcher Jim Parque, who hasn't appeared in the major leagues since 2003 because of because of shoulder trouble, is healthy again and trying to make a comeback, reports ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Parque, a former first-round pick out of UCLA, went 31-34 in parts of six seasons with the White Sox and Devil Rays. His best season came in 2000, when he posted a 13-6 record for Chicago and started the opener of the American League Division Series against the Mariners.
Parque, 30, has been running a baseball academy in Seattle since his retirement. Agent Paul Cohen said he recently hit 90 mph on the radar gun in a workout for several big-league clubs. Parque plans to hold an open workout for clubs in either Seattle or Phoenix in early February. If he continues to attract interest, he'll decide soon after that where he'll pitch in 2007."

TornLabrum
01-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Is Monty Stratton still around?

ChicagoHoosier
01-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Just out of curiosity, what happened to him? I thought he'd be able to last a little longer in the bigs. Not go 13-6 every year, but maybe be a solid 4-5 starter or contribute out of the pen.

FedEx227
01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Just so you know, i'd be wise to edit your post saying you didn't see the other topic.

There's already this exact topic in Whats The Score? Just lettin' ya know!

palehosepub
01-05-2007, 11:05 PM
lost velocity, blew out his shoulder, retired after a short stint with Tampa Bay.

FedEx227
01-05-2007, 11:05 PM

Unfortunately no, but fun-fact he gave up Julio Franco's first home run in 1937.

Nellie_Fox
01-06-2007, 12:18 AM
What about Juan Agosto???:o:

Is Monty Stratton still around?Hmmm. With today's prosthetics...

StillMissOzzie
01-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Hell, Bob Feller is still alive too. That should stoke the fires for those guys that the Sox sign too many ex-Indians.

SMO

DSpivack
01-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Dusty was whining to the press once that one of their problems was a lack of a left-handed BP pitcher. Parque could fill that job in a heartbeat, if Hendry doesn't sign him to the MLB roster first.

SMO

I thought that was Paul Sullivan's job. When it comes to the flubs, the Chicago would be a soft-tossing lefty; no hardballs.

tick53
01-06-2007, 10:56 AM

I heard he and Paul Edmondson are playing on that cornfield team in Iowa.

slavko
01-06-2007, 11:02 AM

Juan Disgusto was a joke for us. You lose track of him and a decade later he's the hottest reliever in the NL. (Not for too long, tho.) Relief pitchers are a funny kind of horse to handicap.

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Juan Disgusto was a joke for us. You lose track of him and a decade later he's the hottest reliever in the NL. (Not for too long, tho.) Relief pitchers are a funny kind of horse to handicap.

My favorite "garbage" lefties were Ray Searage and Fossas.

soxinem1
01-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Jerry Don Gleaton, anyone?

Dont know if you saw this but Jim Parque is making a comeback. Small news item but interesting when guys like Ted Lilly get $40 million dollars you cant blame Parque for trying. Supposedly he's throwing 90 mph fastballs now which is something he never did before he was injured!!! Agent Paul Cohen said he recently hit 90 mph on the radar gun in a workout for several big-league clubs. Parque plans to hold an open workout for clubs in either Seattle or Phoenix in early February. If he continues to attract interest, he'll decide soon after that where he'll pitch in 2007."

Maybe he's the next Jim Morris!!!

slavko
01-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Mike Cameron teed off on Butter May 2, 2002. It was the game he hit 4 homeruns.

Followed by a predictable column from Rick Morrisey moaning about how the Sox could trade a certain HOF'er for a mediocre first baseman.

ewokpelts
01-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Followed by a predictable column from Rick Morrisey moaning about how the Sox could trade a certain HOF'er for a mediocre first baseman.the only thing cameron has on konerko is speed....hell, cameron walking is faster than konerko running

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Well, speed AND defense.

But we're quibbling. Suffice it to say, the White Sox probably wouldn't have won the WS had this trade never taken place.

Although it would have been nice to watch Mike in his prime playing CF.

01-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Parque is quite a character. I loved reading his writeups in the Suntimes when he did them while playing for the Sox.

Hey props to him for getting back in shape and conditioned. He is following his ambitions and I hope he finds it and succeeds somewhere.

ewokpelts
01-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, speed AND defense.

But we're quibbling. Suffice it to say, the White Sox probably wouldn't have won the WS had this trade never taken place.

Although it would have been nice to watch Mike in his prime playing CF. and not have aaron out there?

Britt Burns
01-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't Parque have had to have been something previously for him to make a comeback?

Actually, I wish him the best, just not with the Sox.

23Ventura
01-07-2007, 01:48 AM
I like Jim Parque, he signed a ball for me once. I wish him the best of luck with his comeback.

barney27
01-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Don't forget about Ruffcorn, Keyser, The Pope Donn Pall, Barry Jones, Brian Drahman, and Little Geggy Hibbard. We can get Caruso to catch grounders for them if he can take a day off from his bagging job at Jewel. What a pitching staff we would have, or is it more like a southside drinking team.

caulfield12
01-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Don't forget about Ruffcorn, Keyser, The Pope Donn Pall, Barry Jones, Brian Drahman, and Little Geggy Hibbard. We can get Caruso to catch grounders for them if he can take a day off from his bagging job at Jewel. What a pitching staff we would have, or is it more like a southside drinking team.

I think the hilarious thing would be if Karchner made a comeback for the Sox, helped the White Sox to the playoffs and the Cubs didn't get back to .500.

Wayne Edwards and Radinsky were two of my faves from that time period, along with Melido Soul Glo Perez. People forget how good Radinsky was before he had the injuries and then Addison's disease.

barney27
01-08-2007, 10:11 AM
I think the hilarious thing would be if Karchner made a comeback for the Sox, helped the White Sox to the playoffs and the Cubs didn't get back to .500.

Wayne Edwards and Radinsky were two of my faves from that time period, along with Melido Soul Glo Perez. People forget how good Radinsky was before he had the injuries and then Addison's disease.
Scotty Rad was one of my favorites as well. Nice call on SolGlo almost forgot all about him. Wouldn't want him to miss the reunion. Lets get Charlie Hough to throw some Chuckle balls to Karko. Was it just me or were they the oldest looking battery mates during their active careers that you've ever seen. Karko looked 50 as a 25yr old rookie.

caulfield12
01-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Scotty Rad was one of my favorites as well. Nice call on SolGlo almost forgot all about him. Wouldn't want him to miss the reunion. Lets get Charlie Hough to throw some Chuckle balls to Karko. Was it just me or were they the oldest looking battery mates during their active careers that you've ever seen. Karko looked 50 as a 25yr old rookie.

Karko could definitely lay down a bunt, something our present Sox seem to be challenged with...Lance Johnson was my favorite from those teams.

Ziggy S
01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Why not go way back and bring in Wilbur Wood, Billy Pierce, Turk Lown, and/or Tommy John? Yes, I did look up the Total White Sox Encyclopedia by Rich Lindberg (bought it yesterday) to make sure Turk and Wilbur were still among the living; that's why I didn't suggest Hoyt Wilhelm, though now Hoyt woud have still outpitched Polite and Cotts.

PKalltheway
01-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Might as well get ol' Bill Simas and Mike Jackson in there as well.:redneck

johnr1note
01-08-2007, 05:27 PM

Karko was one of the ugliest ballplayers ever to put on a Sox uniform. His face could stop a clock.

Lorenzo Barcelo
01-17-2007, 10:22 PM

Scott Radinsky was a total airhead. He was quoted not even knowing what the sox team record while playing.

barney27
01-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Scott Radinsky was a total airhead. He was quoted not even knowing what the sox team record while playing.
I liked his arm didn't know him. Sidearm delivery that got to the plate in a hurry.