PDA

View Full Version : For all those wanting a proven veteran SP

caulfield12
01-05-2007, 05:39 AM
How much whining and bitching and moaning and complaining would you be doing if it was announced tomorrow that Jeff Weaver had signed a $6.5 million, one year contract with the White Sox for 2007?

Just curious.

Or don't you consider a "real" back-up CFer a bigger concern at this point?

We've largely addressed the bullpen and Toby Hall, unless you STILL want us to spend money on the list of bullpen retreads that I keep rereading on every thread?

I get the feeling some here would rather have Baez, Bradford, Jamie Walker and Scott Williamson than Javier Vazquez.

JohnTucker0814
01-05-2007, 07:36 AM
"If" we were to sign Jeff Weaver, I would be okay with that... because I would feel very comfortable in sending Vazquez to NY for either Pelfrey or Milledge...

hi im skot
01-05-2007, 08:44 AM
No thanks.

Hitmen77
01-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Wasn't he once the Sox first round draft pick? What happened? Did he hold out for more money like Bobby Hill and we lost the rights to him?

I never liked Jeff Weaver - no thanks.

Flight #24
01-05-2007, 09:57 AM
I'd take him in a heartbeat at that deal. But given the $$$ being thrown around I'd be surprised if he took a 1-year deal at that kind of money. I'd guess he could get himself a 3-4 year deal at $6-8M/yr.

And if he did take a deal like that, I would think it would only be with a team where he was guaranteed a starting slot so that he could up his value and go back on the market.

veeter
01-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Let's give Javy one more try. Weaver and the AL don't mix. Plus, he's an *******.

hi im skot
01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Plus, he's an *******.

Exactly.

Jerksticks
01-05-2007, 11:00 AM
i like javier's fastball. i like his potential for strikeouts. i like him.

i also like youth being fused with veterans. so what if the fifth spot goes to a rookie? everyones gotta break in some time. geez. get off the vertical banana seat and let's watch a really good sox team this year.

munchman33
01-05-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd take Weaver over Vasquez in a heartbeat, especially if trading Vasquez nets us Heilman and a Milledge or a Pelfrey.

maurice
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
The usual suspects would lose their minds if the Sox signed Weaver.

OTOH, if he signed with Cleveland, the very same people would call it a "great move," bitch that KW was too cheap to sign him, and whine that the Sox have a small market payroll.

:rolleyes:

veeter
01-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd take Weaver over Vasquez in a heartbeat, especially if trading Vasquez nets us Heilman and a Milledge or a Pelfrey.How much of Javy's $12 mil. are the Sox paying? If the Sox are paying all of it, I agree with your idea. If not, I don't. Simply because I think Weaver would go like 3-10 before the Sox released his ass.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Anyway we can get a better fourth starter than Vazquez would be great. (I don't know if Weaver is a solution, however, unless what we saw in the playoffs is the new Weaver.)

I can't understand those enamored with Vazquez's stuff because he's a career .500 pitcher (actually below .500, since he's 100 and 105; 11-12 last year). He tantalizes you like he's going to turn the corner and win 20 games, but it's not in his mental makeup. He always finds a way to pitch good enough to lose. He's too interested in strikeouts and afraid to let batters put his pitch into play.

munchman33
01-05-2007, 12:21 PM
How much of Javy's $12 mil. are the Sox paying? If the Sox are paying all of it, I agree with your idea. If not, I don't. Simply because I think Weaver would go like 3-10 before the Sox released his ass.

I don't think Weaver would go 3-10....but if he did start slow it isn't like we don't have a ton of pitching talent now to fill in for him.

I would expect the Mets to pick up all of Javy's salary.

chisoxmike
01-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I'd take Weaver over Vasquez in a heartbeat, especially if trading Vasquez nets us Heilman and a Milledge or a Pelfrey.

I'm sorry, but this is the one thing that is annoying on WSI...

VAZQUEZ is one of our starting pitchers.

VASQUEZ is a minor league pitcher we got from the Cubs.

munchman33
01-05-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm sorry, but this is the one thing that is annoying on WSI...

VAZQUEZ is one of our starting pitchers.

VASQUEZ is a minor league pitcher we got from the Cubs.

:redface:

chisoxmike
01-05-2007, 12:50 PM
:redface:

No big deal...just one of those "things"

:gulp:

caulfield12
01-05-2007, 01:09 PM
How much of Javy's $12 mil. are the Sox paying? If the Sox are paying all of it, I agree with your idea. If not, I don't. Simply because I think Weaver would go like 3-10 before the Sox released his ass.

$9.5 million for Javier this season.

esbrechtel
01-05-2007, 04:13 PM
david wells hasnt been picked up yet....

Frater Perdurabo
01-05-2007, 05:03 PM
david wells hasnt been picked up yet....

You'd need a forklift or a crane to pick up David Wells. :tongue:

esbrechtel
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
:kneeslap:

beck72
01-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Vazquez >>>> Weaver. No thanks.

And the Mets wouldn't give up that much for Javy anyway.

munchman33
01-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Vazquez >>>> Weaver. No thanks.

And the Mets wouldn't give up that much for Javy anyway.

They would with Weaver of the market. There wouldn't be any starters left better than Javy.

barney27
01-08-2007, 09:58 AM
i like javier's fastball. i like his potential for strikeouts. i like him.

i also like youth being fused with veterans. so what if the fifth spot goes to a rookie? everyones gotta break in some time. geez. get off the vertical banana seat and let's watch a really good sox team this year.
I agree. Javier may have the best arm on the team, its just that his makeup is for sh**. He is only 30 so its not as if he has nothing left in the tank, one more year if he doesn't work out, then we float him for a door prize.

caulfield12
01-08-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree. Javier may have the best arm on the team, its just that his makeup is for sh**. He is only 30 so its not as if he has nothing left in the tank, one more year if he doesn't work out, then we float him for a door prize.

It's interesting that both Vazquez and Garcia are the same age.

I wonder which pitcher would garner better offers if they had the same exact contract? If I was a GM, at this point in time, I would rather have Vazquez.