PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see McCarthy's comments?

caulfield12
01-04-2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/196823,CST-SPT-sox04.article

Hope this hasn't already been posted, didn't see it today...

PaleHoseGeorge
01-04-2007, 09:29 PM
McCarthy refuses to get into war of words with Sox

Tailgunner Joe seems positively disappointed. I can't imagine why.

:cool:

ChicagoHoosier
01-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but I'm glad to see McCarthy is not mouthing off like several other guys who have left our team either via free agency or via trade. Seems like we always have to justify why we don't sign a guy or trade a guy, and that obviously hurts the guy who has to leave. I always thought highly of Mags, but that whole exchange after he left really made me feel awful for both sides. McCarthy is being mature about it and I respect him for that.

caulfield12
01-04-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure why KW and Cooper felt the need to "spin" the trade...I suppose it's because there has been a lot of heat coming down for both these deals.

Still, you don't need to criticize the movement on his pitches or say that you feel Danks has more upside.

Let the results speak for themselves. You don't see KW out there giving a press conference about the Olivo/Bradford deal, but you almost expect it. KW needs to learn how to just be quiet somtimes (see Frank Thomas situation last year).

WhiteSox5187
01-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I agree, the Sox have a long and storied history of bashing players once they leave. They bashed Widger pretty bad after he left too.

fquaye149
01-05-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure why KW and Cooper felt the need to "spin" the trade...

um...have you seen the posts on this ****ing board in the last month?

and these are supposed to be the "smart" white sox fans...

Grzegorz
01-05-2007, 04:51 AM
Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but I'm glad to see McCarthy is not mouthing off like several other guys who have left our team either via free agency or via trade.

Sometimes I just don't get what Williams is trying to accomplish when he leaves himself open as he did during the Score interview. Comments like "serviceable" and mentioning McCarthy's shortcomings (straight fastball), and his reluctance to accept his role in the bullpen create an environment for a war of words.

I'd leave it just by saying that we (from KW's perspective) appreciate the effort of McCarthy and we wish him the best in the future.

The best revenge is living well. I wish McCarthy all the best except when he faces the Chicago White Sox.

bryPt
01-05-2007, 06:20 AM
He is going to be on the Mike North show this morning.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but I'm glad to see McCarthy is not mouthing off like several other guys who have left our team either via free agency or via trade. Seems like we always have to justify why we don't sign a guy or trade a guy, and that obviously hurts the guy who has to leave. I always thought highly of Mags, but that whole exchange after he left really made me feel awful for both sides. McCarthy is being mature about it and I respect him for that.

McCarthy doesn't have the credentials to mouth off. Not to defend guys like Ordonez and Thomas but at least those guys had some solid years and numbers in their pasts.

Madvora
01-05-2007, 07:11 AM
I just wish we were able to move players like any other team. It seems like everyone who leaves now is going to go back and forth with KW or Ozzie or something, or in this case, the newspapers are going to try to provoke something like that.

I agree about the earlier post concerning KW. Don't try to spin anything. If you like Danks more, that's fine, but don't degrade McCarthy just because he left.

Hitmen77
01-05-2007, 07:33 AM

That's how I read this article too. Sounds to me like he's trying to stir up something out of nothing.

Two weeks ago-
Media and some Sox fans: "This trade is awful. KW has alot of explaining to do. He better tell us why he thinks this trade is good for loyal Sox fans"

...two weeks later-
Media and some Sox fans: "Why doesn't KW just shut his mouth? Can't he just make a trade and not make any comments? It's totally unnecessary to tell us why he thinks Danks has more potential that McCarthy"

(before i get anyone angry - I'm not directing this at anyone who has posted on this thread. I know that most of you guys know enough about baseball to understand KW's rationale for this trade).

AuroraSoxFan
01-05-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm guessing the media is not done trying to stir up stuff on the whole deal. they know Kenny and Ozzie can get nasty at times so they will probably take a few more stabs at them trying to get them to badmouth BM or Freddy or Cotts or anyone else who was dealt. Look for some more of it around the time ST kicks off.

spawn
01-05-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't understand what KW said that was blasting McCarthy. He did say McCarthy didn't have enough sink, but that he compensated for it. That part was left out in this article. IMHO he in no way blasted Brandon. In their interview North was trying to get him to say something to stir the pot, but KW didn't fall for it. I swear. People condemn him for the trade, and then the man gives his honest assessment, and people want to condemn him for that as well. This town needs an enema!

Baby Fisk
01-05-2007, 09:31 AM

Everyone loves a media-fuelled catfight. I'm disappointed by the weakness of this one.

CaptainBallz
01-05-2007, 09:41 AM
I agree, the Sox have a long and storied history of bashing players once they leave. They bashed Widger pretty bad after he left too.

Widger definitely got a raw deal. I was more than happy to see him go, but the form of the Sox organization was absolutely horrible. It sounded like they were pulling reasons out of their asses then spouting it off in the media. Widger seemed genuinely blind-sided by that...

UserNameBlank
01-05-2007, 09:43 AM
What is KW supposed to say? Is he supposed to come out saying that he doesn't think Danks is going to be better? Clearly he liked Danks more. He is the one who made the damn trade.

BMac, there is no controversy here. You do have a straight fastball and you do look like crap when you throw it up in the strikezone. I hope you like to dance because you're going to be spinning around like a ballerina in Arlington. You had better hope and pray KW didn't read this article. If you hear a table flip over, you'd better run.

maurice
01-05-2007, 11:44 AM
At the end of the season-
Media and some Sox fans: "The Sox pitching sucks. The rotation is a bunch of declining guys, like Sweaty Garcia. He can't hold a runner to save his life, his fastball is gone, and he's too lazy to pitch well during the 1st half. The bullpen killed the Sox all year, especially Cotts. He can't get anybody out to save his life! The team's biggest need definitely is the bullpen, and there is no room for Ross Gload on this team."

...after the Cotts trade-
Media and some Sox fans: "This trade is awful. KW has alot of explaining to do. Hendry fleeced KW. I can't believe he gave up on Cotts! I've never even heard of the 2 guys he got in return, and I'm too lazy to research the issue."

...after the Gload trade-
Media and some Sox fans: "This trade is awful. KW has alot of explaining to do. Gload is an offensive powerhouse and one of the main reasons we won in 2005 (even though he was in Charlotte most of that year). I've never even heard of the guy he got in return, and I'm too lazy to research the issue."

...after the Garcia trade-
Media and some Sox fans: "This trade is awful. KW has alot of explaining to do. Garcia = Cy Young. McCarthy sucks. He's an unproven young pitcher, like Jon Rauch! I've never even heard of the 2 guys he got, and I'm too lazy to research the issue."

...after the McCarthy trade-
Media and some Sox fans: "This trade is a disgrace! KW has alot of explaining to do. McCarthy is a polished workhorse. Danks sucks. He's an unproven young pitcher, like Jon Rauch! I've never even heard of the other 2 guys he got, and I'm too lazy to research the issue. He should have gotten Miguel Tejada, ARod, or Manny for the very valuable pitchers he gave up! The 8 pitchers KW got this offseason have done nothing to address the team's biggest need, which definitely was NOT the bullpen."

bryPt
01-05-2007, 11:46 AM
On the North show this morning, he was basically nice and happy, but he seemed a little miffed by the "servicable" tag that Kenny put on him. All in all though, he isn't bitter or anything, unless he is a good actor.

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 11:48 AM
On the North show this morning, he was basically nice and happy, but he seemed a little miffed by the "servicable" tag that Kenny put on him. All in all though, he isn't bitter or anything, unless he is a good actor.

I think he realizes that he hasn't actually proved anything yet. If he does prove Kenny wrong, I'm sure he'll be a little more eager to speak.

Madvora
01-05-2007, 11:55 AM
and there is no room for Ross Gload on this team."

I'd like to see where you would get this from. I've never heard anything like that about Gload (at least from people here.)

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 11:58 AM
At the end of the season-
Media and some Sox fans: "The Sox pitching sucks. The rotation is a bunch of declining guys, like Sweaty Garcia. He can't hold a runner to save his life, his fastball is gone, and he's too lazy to pitch well during the 1st half. The bullpen killed the Sox all year, especially Cotts. He can't get anybody out to save his life! The team's biggest need definitely is the bullpen, and there is no room for Ross Gload on this team."

...after the Cotts trade-
Media and some Sox fans: "This trade is awful. KW has alot of explaining to do. Hendry fleeced KW. I can't believe he gave up on Cotts! I've never even heard of the 2 guys he got in return, and I'm too lazy to research the issue."

...after the Gload trade-
Media and some Sox fans: "This trade is awful. KW has alot of explaining to do. Gload is an offensive powerhouse and one of the main reasons we won in 2005 (even though he was in Charlotte most of that year). I've never even heard of the guy he got in return, and I'm too lazy to research the issue."

...after the Garcia trade-
Media and some Sox fans: "This trade is awful. KW has alot of explaining to do. Garcia = Cy Young. McCarthy sucks. He's an unproven young pitcher, like Jon Rauch! I've never even heard of the 2 guys he got, and I'm too lazy to research the issue."

...after the McCarthy trade-
Media and some Sox fans: "This trade is a disgrace! KW has alot of explaining to do. McCarthy is a polished workhorse. Danks sucks. He's an unproven young pitcher, like Jon Rauch! I've never even heard of the other 2 guys he got, and I'm too lazy to research the issue. He should have gotten Miguel Tejada, ARod, or Manny for the very valuable pitchers he gave up! The 8 pitchers KW got this offseason have done nothing to address the team's biggest need, which definitely was NOT the bullpen."

:thumbsup:

Iwritecode
01-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd like to see where you would get this from. I've never heard anything like that about Gload (at least from people here.)

I remember hearing it. There was plenty of discussion on who would be the 25th man on the roster after we got Thome. IIRC, the arguement was that Thome could spell Konerko when needed.

caulfield12
01-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Widger definitely got a raw deal. I was more than happy to see him go, but the form of the Sox organization was absolutely horrible. It sounded like they were pulling reasons out of their asses then spouting it off in the media. Widger seemed genuinely blind-sided by that...

I just don't like how they seemed to make him the scapegoat for the team's pitching problems last year and said it was due to his "lack of preparation." You can blame a lot of people (especially the starters themselves) before you start blaming Widger for the Sox failures last season. Or blame KW, Ozzie and Coop. Or blame Pods, BA, Anderson and the bullpen, lol.

maurice
01-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I remember hearing it. There was plenty of discussion on who would be the 25th man on the roster after we got Thome. IIRC, the arguement was that Thome could spell Konerko when needed.

The other argument was that a backup CF would be more valuable than Gload and that there's no room for both. This argument initially was unpopular but, after the disaster that was Mack in CF, Ozzie and KW obviously agree with it.

Iwritecode
01-05-2007, 01:59 PM
The other argument was that a backup CF would be more valuable than Gload and that there's no room for both. This argument initially was unpopular but, after the disaster that was Mack in CF, Ozzie and KW obviously agree with it.

I remember now. There was plenty of discussion of who should make the team, Gload or Borchard. Then Joe went to Seattle.

WikdChiSoxFan
01-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Winning a championship certainly makes the media more demanding...

I'm not sure why Kenny said what he said to the media. I respect his opinion as well as McCarthy's. I'm sorry to see BMac go but that's life. I don't understand why the media has to probe so dang hard to get a story. Nothing will be settled until the season starts anyway.

Besides, Tribune, you're done... I'm getting all my news from NPR and Chicago Tonight...

Frontman
01-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure why KW and Cooper felt the need to "spin" the trade...I suppose it's because there has been a lot of heat coming down for both these deals.

Still, you don't need to criticize the movement on his pitches or say that you feel Danks has more upside.

Let the results speak for themselves. You don't see KW out there giving a press conference about the Olivo/Bradford deal, but you almost expect it. KW needs to learn how to just be quiet somtimes (see Frank Thomas situation last year).

Oh, like "I can't wait to Rip KW a new one" isn't something KW or Coop was trying to get in front of with their comments on McCarthy.

I give props to Brandon for being professional. Here, a kid proves to be more of a pro-ball-player than a future Hall of Famer and a seasoned career journeyman.

Front