PDA

View Full Version : www.cubune.com

bryPt
01-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I noticed in the now infamous Phil Rogers thread that some people here do not know about www.cubune.com (http://www.cubune.com) , a site tracking the Tribune companies bias in media coverage of the Cub and chicago life. Jeff has been hitting them harder and harder each day, and he knows for a fact that it is one of the most viewed sites over at the tribune tower. It is a great resource for the cubune's bias.

His latest post there is killer.

If you have not been there before, it is a great read. It is funny and serious all in all. He even has a link to this place on the site.

he also came up with the great quote that I use as my signature. :smile:

ChiSoxLifer
01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Doesn't there first have to be the existence journalism before they get out of the journalism business?

DumpJerry
01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
he knows for a fact that it is one of the most viewed sites over at the tribune tower.
How does he know?

As far as the subject of the site, I say "so what?" Really, of what use is the information? It's not like the Tribune is a politician we can vote out of office at the next election.

dwalteroo
01-04-2007, 07:38 PM
You have to admit, this is pretty hilarious:

Meanwhile, could it really be an accident that during the peak shopping season from Thanksgiving Week to Christmas Week, a picture of Alfonso Soriano (http://www.cubune.com/2006/12/day-seven_19.html) appeared on top of the online sports page for 17 of 29 days.

Maybe JR should do something similar, and make the White Sox "The Official MLB Team of the Chicago Bulls," and visa versa.

southside rocks
01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
This cracked me up:

That's about it for Sox coverage in our city's august morning daily, unless you count "Cubs, Cotts Agree on 1-Year Deal." (Sheesh. Poor Neal. I feel like we traded him to the Lincoln Park Zoo).

I feel so sorry for Cotts -- I heard him do an interview right after the trade was announced, and he was really subdued and said 'well, I grew up a Cardinals fan, and then I came into baseball with the White Sox, and now, well ...' and he just kind of trailed off.

I think Neal would be happier at the Lincoln Park Zoo!

jeffmcmahon
01-04-2007, 10:04 PM
I thought my ears felt funny...

DumpJerry, I don't actually claim that we're one of the most visited sites in the Tribune Tower, just that Tribune employees make up one of our most loyal groups of readers. Got that from server stats: we had 482 visits last year from computers registered to Tribune.com. And I haven't always been good about posting frequently.

As for the so what? I suppose it's a personal choice. What's the point in saying "Dump Jerry" if you don't get to vote on him either? I come at this not only as a Sox fan but as a journalist who cares about ethics and a Chicagoan who cares about Chicagoans. If you see somebody doing something wrong to your friends, you can say "so what?" Or you can do something about it. I tried writing to reporters and editors personally, but they lose interest as fast as they lose the argument. So what am I supposed to do, look away? Maybe the Cubune Watch is totally ineffective, but it creates a record. And we're just a tiny part of it, but the tide is turning on Tribune.

Mostly I want to say thanks to all of you for taking the time to check out the site and talk about it. And I'm real thankful for WSI, too. Cubs fans get an official manufactured sense of community wherever they turn. We have to build our own in places like this, that we build ourselves. Go Sox.

bryPt
01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
How does he know?

Actually, I know. I live next to a Tribune employee. He brought it up once. He is in their I.T. department and told me that traffic to this site is high some days when they are checking firewall logs. He also said that some employees find his site quite funny.

DumpJerry
01-05-2007, 12:06 AM
I thought my ears felt funny...

DumpJerry, I don't actually claim that we're one of the most visited sites in the Tribune Tower, just that Tribune employees make up one of our most loyal groups of readers. Got that from server stats: we had 482 visits last year from computers registered to Tribune.com. And I haven't always been good about posting frequently.

As for the so what? I suppose it's a personal choice. What's the point in saying "Dump Jerry" if you don't get to vote on him either? I come at this not only as a Sox fan but as a journalist who cares about ethics and a Chicagoan who cares about Chicagoans. If you see somebody doing something wrong to your friends, you can say "so what?" Or you can do something about it. I tried writing to reporters and editors personally, but they lose interest as fast as they lose the argument. So what am I supposed to do, look away? Maybe the Cubune Watch is totally ineffective, but it creates a record. And we're just a tiny part of it, but the tide is turning on Tribune.

Mostly I want to say thanks to all of you for taking the time to check out the site and talk about it. And I'm real thankful for WSI, too. Cubs fans get an official manufactured sense of community wherever they turn. We have to build our own in places like this, that we build ourselves. Go Sox.
Wow. I'm honored to be the subject your first post on WSI.

I wasn't mouthing off at the treadstarter, I was just curious how s/he knew about the traffic to your site.

It wasn't long ago that journalism had a practice (and not just a code) of ethics which said you ignore $$$ when doing the story. It used to be that editors did not concern themselves with upsetting a major advertiser with a story or editorial.

Nowadays with major corporations owning the communication outlets (newspapers, television, radio, etc all under one roof), the allmighty dollar dictates what is covered and how it is covered. I won't go any further because I'm getting close to impermissable political statements here, but I think you get my drift.

Welcome to WSI, looking forward to your future postings!

jeffmcmahon
01-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks, DJ! I'm pretty sure I've posted before under a now long-lost user name, so I chose a user name this time that I think I can remember.

By the way, this editorial from the Columbia Journalism Review (http://www.cjr.org/issues/2007/1/editorial.asp) is huge. It's the premier journal of American journalism validating what we've been saying about Tribune, not in specific reference to the Cubs, but in reference to their general strategy of putting money before principle and blending editorial and advertising. In Chicago, this practice has been centered around the Cubs. The Tribune has even admitted as much. When they bought the Cubs, they said it was to provide "content" to their media holdings. They got away with this approach in Chicago for a long time, because, after all, Chicago has always had a high tolerance for corruption, but when they tried to export this strategy to the rest of America, BOOM! Now they're in serious trouble from businessmen and journalists alike. Not to mention Sox fans.

Go Sox!

www.cubune.com (http://www.cubune.com)