PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson for Luis Vizcaino and a prospect

soxfan13
01-04-2007, 02:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-unit010407&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SouthSide_HitMen
01-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Arizona will ask for permission from MLB to complete a contract extension for Randy Johnson (expected to be one additional season for $10 million for 2008 - he will earn $16 mil this season) to complete this (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-unit010407&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) deal.

The prospect would come from one of these three pitchers: Dustin Nippert (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7653/), Ross Ohlendorf or Micah Owings.

No cash considerations were reported in the article.

This move should help Arizona's division hopes though the NL West rarely does anything in the playoffs. I don't understand NY's need to dump salary but I do understand their frustration with Randy's return to the AL.

ewokpelts
01-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Arizona will ask for permission from MLB to complete a contract extension for Randy Johnson (expected to be one additional season for $10 million for 2008 - he will earn $16 mil this season) to complete this (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-unit010407&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) deal.

The prospect would come from one of these three pitchers: Dustin Nippert (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7653/), Ross Ohlendorf or Micah Owings.

No cash considerations were reported in the article.

This move should help Arizona's division hopes though the NL West rarely does anything in the playoffs. I don't understand NY's need to dump salary but I do understand their frustration with Randy's return to the AL.why pay randy johnson to suck ass for $16 million when you can use that to get clemens.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-04-2007, 02:41 PM
why pay randy johnson to suck ass for $16 million when you can use that to get clemens.

I'm assuming they will be sending a significant cash payment to Arizona as part of this deal. I also think the Yankees can afford Clemens regardless of Big Bird's status with the team. I'm sure the team will do everything possible to win one more time for "The Boss" who has been very ill over the past year or two.

Luis Vizcaino will have been traded (along with others) for Carlos Lee, Javier Vazquez and Randy Johnson over the course of three seasons, an interesting future trivia question.

This has also been posted on mlb.com (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070104&content_id=1773022&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy) so I think it is far past "rumor" stage. The physical (which may nix the deal) and cash concerns are the final pieces to be worked out over the next three days.

NewYawk718
01-04-2007, 03:17 PM
660 AM is reporting that it's : Luis Vizcaino(RHRP) ,Alberto Gonzalez(SS), Ohlendorf(SP), and Steven Jackson(SP)

and the yankees are paying nothing.

thomas35forever
01-04-2007, 03:54 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82936

:searchfirst:

AJ Hellraiser
01-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Good... For some reason no matter how old he gets, he still seems to dominate our White Sox.... He was nearly unhittable both times we faced him this past season... I'd much rather see Pettite than Big Unit

JohnTucker0814
01-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Didn't we hit like 4 or 5 HR off of him 2 years ago??? That doesn't seem too dominant to me!

Fenway
01-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Randy Johnson helped the White Sox win the World Series in 2005.

How?

He was 5-0 against the Red Sox and when the 2 teams tied for the AL East, NYY won the tiebreaker because they had won the season series 10-9.

One RJ loss to Boston the the entire 2005 playoffs change. NYY would have played Chicago instead of Boston and Anaheim would have played Boston.

Would the White Sox still have won had that happened?

So say thank you to RJ.

and the yankees are paying nothing.

not quite

Arizona would send pitcher Luis Vizcaino to the Yankees along with minor league pitcher Ross Ohlendorf and shortstop Alberto Gonzalez, another baseball official said, also on condition of anonymity. The Yankees also might receive another minor league pitcher, the official said, and would pay between $1.5 million and $2 million of Johnson's $16 million salary this year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/01/04/yankees_and_diamondbacks_reach_tentative_agreement _on_johnson_trade/

downstairs
01-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Wow... so ARI is paying Johnson $14-ish Million?!?!

Things are getting nutty.

Palehose13
01-04-2007, 04:59 PM

How?

He was 5-0 against the Red Sox and when the 2 teams tied for the AL East, NYY won the tiebreaker because they had won the season series 10-9.

One RJ loss to Boston the the entire 2005 playoffs change. NYY would have played Chicago instead of Boston and Anaheim would have played Boston.

So say thank you to RJ.

I don't think Sox fans have to. The White Sox pwned the playoffs. It wouldn't have matter who they would have faced. The Sox would have beaten the NYY and then the Angels (when they were done with Boston, of course).

Us Sox fans have no idea what it feels like to "sweat" during the playoffs. The closest we came was the infamous "El Duque" inning in Boston.

Jerksticks
01-04-2007, 05:01 PM
I'd bunt on his perfect game anyday. RJ is a piece of ****.

Fenway
01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't think Sox fans have to. The White Sox pwned the playoffs. It wouldn't have matter who they would have faced. The Sox would have beaten the NYY and then the Angels (when they were done with Boston, of course).

Us Sox fans have no idea what it feels like to "sweat" during the playoffs. The closest we came was the infamous "El Duque" inning in Boston.

I agree Chicago "probably" would have won. But remember you wouldn't have gotten Matt Clement in the first game to help the White Sox over their old playoff curse either. I almost choked on all the fireworks smoke that afternoon at The Cell :tongue:

AJ Hellraiser
01-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Didn't we hit like 4 or 5 HR off of him 2 years ago??? That doesn't seem too dominant to me!

Yes, let's judge our success off him based on 1 freak performance where we hit back-to-back-to-back HR's, followed by 2 singles and then a 3-run HR... that single performance shows how the White Sox have done historically against him.. that was 2 years ago, last year I remember him shutting us down in Yankee Stadium and flirting with a no-no in Chicago....

oeo
01-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree Chicago "probably" would have won. But remember you wouldn't have gotten Matt Clement in the first game to help the White Sox over their old playoff curse either. I almost choked on all the fireworks smoke that afternoon at The Cell :tongue:

Curses are for RED Sox fans. The Sox were never cursed; please don't start that BS.

mjmcend
01-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Wow... so ARI is paying Johnson $14-ish Million?!?!

Things are getting nutty.

If there is a 10 million dollar, one year extension, it averages out to 12 million a year for 2 years. That is a better deal than some of the crazy, long term contracts thrown about this winter.

soxfan13
01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82936

:searchfirst:

Look at the times they were posted. We put them up at the same exact time. So instead of being in such a hurry to point out someones mistake maybe you should read a little more careful, ass

Jjav829
01-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I'd bunt on his perfect game anyday. RJ is a piece of ****.

How about Curt Schilling, too? :smile:

I can understand why Arizona would want him back. Pairing RJ with Webb gives them a couple of good pitchers to compete in that division. However...

What in the world makes them look at the currently 43-year-old Randy Johnson and say, "Sure, we'd love to pay him for one more year when he will be 45 years old?" :?:

CLR01
01-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Look at the times they were posted. We put them up at the same exact time. So instead of being in such a hurry to point out someones mistake maybe you should read a little more careful, ass

He may be an ass but you just bought yourself a few days in the sin bin. I am sick and tired of the increasing frequency of attacks here.

Palehose13
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
He may be an ass but you just bought yourself a few days in the sin bin. I am sick and tired of the increasing frequency of attacks here.

Sin bin? Have you taken up rugby? :D:

soxtalker
01-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Looks like Cashman is doing something similar to KW -- stocking up on good pitching prospects. He can let them develop, or use them and the cash saved (not that this is that big of deal to the Yankees) in a mid-season trade.

santo=dorf
01-04-2007, 06:34 PM
But Randy is a back to back 17 game winner. That isn't "chopped liver" right?

Fenway
01-04-2007, 07:32 PM
The savings the Yankees made on this deal will be invested in

http://strosbro.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/rocket_2.jpg

Tragg
01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
No doubt Clement did the bigest shake job since Calvin Schiraldi in 1986.
I also thought the BoSox were a good matchup for the Sox.
That said, we dominated post-season and I doubt the opponent would have mattered.

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 01:21 PM
The savings the Yankees made on this deal will be invested in a giant picture of Roger Clemens.

They'd better have a Plan B. Clemens is no guarantee to sign.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-05-2007, 04:12 PM
The details have been updated (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070104&content_id=1773253&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp):

Headed to the Yankees -- contingent upon Johnson waiving a no-trade clause in exchange for a 2008 contract extension -- would be reliever Luis Vizcaino, Minor League pitchers Ross Ohlendorf and Steven Jackson, plus Minor League shortstop Alberto Gonzalez. The Yankees reportedly included $2 million in the deal to help offset Johnson's 2007 salary.

MLB also posted (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20070104&content_id=1772710&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp) an article praising the Yankees moves this offseason to acquire young pitching prospects. No word on whether or not Michael Lewis is set to begin penning a "KennyBall" book.

CaptainBallz
01-05-2007, 04:47 PM

How?

Yes. And How dare you!!?

tstrike2000
01-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I can understand why Arizona would want him back. Pairing RJ with Webb gives them a couple of good pitchers to compete in that division. However...

What in the world makes them look at the currently 43-year-old Randy Johnson and say, "Sure, we'd love to pay him for one more year when he will be 45 years old?" :?:

I can too actually, but AZ giving up a reliever, 3 prospects, pay 14 mill of his salary, and contingent on AZ signing Johnson to a contract extension for '08 is an awful lot. For AZ hopefully it's worth it, especially coming off of his second back surgery and knee problems.

areilly
01-05-2007, 05:47 PM

I was too young to notice what was happening in 1983, but I sweat a lot in October of 1993, and every game of the massacre that was the 2000 ALDS.

Game 2 of last year's ALDS, up to the Iguchi homer, wasn't exactly comforting. Same goes for games 1 and 2 of the 2005 ALCS. I seem to recall Games 3 and 4 of the World Series weren't so easy either.

PKalltheway
01-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Game 2 of last year's ALDS, up to the Iguchi homer, wasn't exactly comforting. Same goes for games 1 and 2 of the 2005 ALCS. I seem to recall Games 3 and 4 of the World Series weren't so easy either.
Don't forget about Game 2 of the World Series, or for that matter, Game 1. None of the games were decided by more than two runs in the World Series.

ilsox7
01-06-2007, 01:14 AM
I can too actually, but AZ giving up a reliever, 3 prospects, pay 14 mill of his salary, and contingent on AZ signing Johnson to a contract extension for '08 is an awful lot. For AZ hopefully it's worth it, especially coming off of his second back surgery and knee problems.

The couple of articles I read said the prospects they gave up are not anything special. We're not talking the quality of a couple guys the Sox picked up this winter. Not even close.

areilly
01-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Don't forget about Game 2 of the World Series, or for that matter, Game 1. None of the games were decided by more than two runs in the World Series.

Good point. We won yes, but did we really dominate? With the exception of game 1 of the ALDS, no. Such is life for the Sox fan - even when we win, it's not easy.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I hope Viz shines in NY.

tstrike2000
01-06-2007, 10:33 AM
The couple of articles I read said the prospects they gave up are not anything special. We're not talking the quality of a couple guys the Sox picked up this winter. Not even close.

Yeah, the pitchers Williams picked up look really good...at least from what I've read. I've not seen any of them pitch but definitely have hopes for Floyd, Danks, and Gonzalez to pitch for years to come.

AZChiSoxFan
01-10-2007, 06:55 PM

My understanding from talking to people who follow the D-backs very closely and know their minor leaguers, is that none of the prospects they gave up will ever amount to anything at the ML level.