PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons chat at 11 AM Chicago time Thursday

Fenway
01-04-2007, 10:28 AM
from boston.com

It will probably be tilted towards Boston but he may answer a question on the White Sox if someone asks

CHAT WITH PETER GAMMONS TODAY AT NOON (http://chats.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=auditorium&webtag=bc-sportsmain):
ESPN analyst Peter Gammons stops by today at noon to discuss the Hot Stove season

lakeviewsoxfan
01-04-2007, 10:29 AM
from boston.com

It will probably be tilted towards Boston but he may answer a question on the White Sox if someone asks

CHAT WITH PETER GAMMONS TODAY AT NOON (http://chats.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=auditorium&webtag=bc-sportsmain):
ESPN analyst Peter Gammons stops by today at noon to discuss the Hot Stove season

ESPN coverage tilted towards the Red Sox no way

spiffie
01-04-2007, 10:37 AM
ESPN coverage tilted towards the Red Sox no way
Actually, the chat seems to be on boston.com. Which might explain it being tilted towards Boston.

lakeviewsoxfan
01-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Actually, the chat seems to be on boston.com. Which might explain it being tilted towards Boston.

I just saw ESPN analyst and made a conclusion.

Fenway
01-04-2007, 04:17 PM

It was 95% Red Sox but there were a couple of nuggets as there always is with Peter

Chat with Peter Gammons transcript (http://chats.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=auditorium&webtag=bc-sportsmain&redirCnt=1)

Hi Peter. Where do you stand on the McGwire Hall of Fame debate?

Peter_Gammons I voted for him reluctantly but I feel that he never failed a test and he played most of his career with a huge number of players using some form of performance enhancing drugs with the fear of incrimination. Joel Sherman of the NY Post made very good point when he rejected McGwire, he felt that his credentials were principally due to the steroids and that he bunched his statistics up in a very narrow window. My problem is that I don't know for sure who did, and just as important, who didn't use steroids in that 20 year period. Most people tell me they believe that in those 20 years anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 players did use them. Also, I still believe the percentage of pitchers using them was higher than position players.

Do you think Barry Zito will continue to improve to justify that salary?

Peter_Gammons Going to the NL, and pitching in that ballpark will help him immensely, but Barry's ERA over the last three years is an entire run higher than what it was his first three years and numbers like strikeouts and hits-per-9 innings have declined. I don't think the AL East was a place he wanted to pitch.

Happy New Year, Peter. How do you gauge the reaction by JP Riccardi in Toronto to the salary escalation that's going on, and how in the world can the Kansas City Royals' of the world hope to keep up? (especially by using George's $$$ to buy $11M worth of Gil Meche!). Thanks!

Peter_Gammons I think JP had to give Vernon Wells that huge contract because of the market and the fact that as a center fielder, Wells has become a franchise player. You're right, KC competes b/c of the money it gets from the Yankees and Red Sox and unless they can rebuild their farm system to the level of the Indians and Twins, they're going to have a hard time competing more than one out of every six years