PDA

View Full Version : The Latest on WSI Fest

TornLabrum
01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
I heard from Stephanie today, and here's the latest.

It appears as if we're good to go on Saturday May 26. The price will be $51.00/person for the complete package. That breaks down to $30.00 for the patio ticket and $21.00 for a lower deck reserved seat ($10.00 off the regular price).

It also appears that we're good to go on Monday, August 20. The price for that will be $46.50/person. That breaks down to $30.00 for the regular ticket plus $16.50 for the lower deck reserved seat (half-price Monday rate).

Right now the game times are TBD, so we can't finalize the deal. Also, we're going with 200 seats for each game, so bring family, friends, co-workers, etc.

Now another question. I have heard from one of the admins at SoxTalk, Mike Gresham. He had a proposal which I'll quote in full:

HI Hal, this is Mike Gresham one of the admins over at Soxtalk. I know we usually all get together for an annual patio party, but some of us had an idea to do something in addition to that this year. What we want to do is pick a Saturday during the summer, and get together for some sort of a charity softball game in the afternoon between the members of the two sites, and then finish the day with a tailgate and patio party at the ballpark afterwards. My idea was to try to get Armour Park for the game starting around noon. We would ask each person who particpates or comes to watch to make a set donation (or more) to a charitable cause (we could do Chisox charities even, or pick something else) to support. Then we play the game with guys we drum up from our respective sites. After the game we head over to the ballpark for a tailgate and patio party for a 6 pm game. We thought it would be a cool idea to have a little fun, and support a good cause. Drop me a line when you get a chance and let me know what you think
Let me know what you think. I'd like to propose that if we do the softball game, the money be donated to my favorite charity, the Windy City Sox Fans. All the money we raise goes to Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities and is earmarked for Children's Memorial Hospital.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2007, 08:24 PM
A. When will the order form be available?

B. The softball game is an absolutely amazing idea.

cbotnyse
01-03-2007, 08:24 PM
The softball game is an excellent idea, as long as its 16 inch. Lets leave the mitts at home please. I'd like to play catcher. :cool:

FedEx227
01-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I may be too young of a whipper-snapper, but I'd SO be down for softball game. I can be the speed threat off the bench :tongue: play SS/2B, I don't eat much and I hit like Grady Sizemore, doubles/singles...screw the big blast.

Also just so you know Hal you put Saturday, August 20th when in fact its a Monday aka why we got the half-price, just to clear up any confusion.

Mod edit: Fixed.

TornLabrum
01-03-2007, 08:28 PM
I'd like to add that I think it's a great idea, too. I propose that if this comes off, we re-designate whichever date is selected as COTC III.

Mohoney
01-04-2007, 07:12 AM
The softball game sounds fantastic. Maybe it could become an annual charity event for Windy City Sox Fans. Hell, we could even design a travelling trophy for the webmaster of the winning site to keep until the next year.

DumpJerry
01-04-2007, 10:11 AM
What team will those who are on both sites play on? Can banned members play??

I'm going out on a limb right now, but I am making my PTCs for each game:

May 26: Pablo Ozuna

August 20: Pablo Ozuna.

DumpJerry
01-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Ok, I went to my White Sox account on the Sox' website to check the times. The May 26th game is at 6:05. The August 20th game is not in my package. There are "only" 80 games listed in my tickets for '07. The Sox do have a game on August 20th on the schedule on the site.

I think Itsnotrequired hacked into the Sox' computers to prevent me from challenging his 81 game feat last year.:redneck

ewokpelts
01-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Looks like the sox raised prices....again.
Way to go Jerry.

Iwritecode
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Saturday May 26 = :Rocker:

Softball game = :Rocker:

If given a choice, I'd like 12" rather than 16". It's what I grew up playing and I've got a really nice glove that I don't get to use that much. :wink:

whitesoxwilkes
01-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Mike Gresham and I kicked this idea around a couple years ago and it never took off. Glad to see he's resurrected it. I know Mike very well and would gladly take the lead on coordinating this with him, so let me know if you need anything.

Oh, and I'll play 12 or 16 inch.

jenn2080
01-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Mike Gresham and I kicked this idea around a couple years ago and it never took off. Glad to see he's resurrected it. I know Mike very well and would gladly take the lead on coordinating this with him, so let me know if you need anything.

Oh, and I'll play 12 or 16 inch.

I would help too. The softball game sounds wonderful. What a great idea.:D:

I'm not sure playing softball all day and then going to sit at the game sweaty and dirty sounds appealing though. I'd vote for the softball game to on a different day then a patio party.

DumpJerry
01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Uh, people, this is Chicago. We don't play 12 inch "softball." 16 inches is king!

EDIT: Jenn2080, what are you worried about? There's a shower in the LF concourse.

cbotnyse
01-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Uh, people, this is Chicago. We don't play 12 inch "softball." 16 inches is king!

EDIT: Jenn2080, what are you worried about? There's a shower in the LF concourse.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: There is only one softball.

Iwritecode
01-04-2007, 11:55 AM

But I'm not from Chicago. I spent half my life not even knowing that 16" softball existed.

cbotnyse
01-04-2007, 12:04 PM
But I'm not from Chicago. I spent half my life not even knowing that 16" softball existed.Trust me, it is the way to play. Playing 12'' in Bridgeport is sacrilegious. :smile:

skottyj242
01-04-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm a wicked third base coach. I think Wilkes should play left out. I think we should also do a bean bag tournament against those other dudes, myself and itsnotrequired are a force to be reckoned with.

soxfan13
01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
But I'm not from Chicago. I spent half my life not even knowing that 16" softball existed.

Keep the mitt at home and learn to play real softball!!!:tongue:

MarySwiss
01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Awwww-Right!!! :D:

May 26th sounds great! And I'd be down for the softball game if it were on that day as well--if it's co-rec, of course. I can't hit for ****, but I play a pretty fair defensive second base or short center. And of course, 16" is the only way to go; anything else is uncivilized.

Iwritecode
01-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Keep the mitt at home and learn to play real softball!!!:tongue:

It's not real softball unless the ball is coming at you at 50+ MPH from 40 feet away... :tongue:

Either way, it's not a big deal to me... :cool:

jenn2080
01-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Trust me, it is the way to play. Playing 12'' in Bridgeport is sacrilegious. :smile:

Almost anywhere in Chicago. You rarely see a 12' softball team.

soxfan13
01-04-2007, 12:39 PM
It's not real softball unless the ball is coming at you at 50+ MPH from 40 feet away... :tongue:

Either way, it's not a big deal to me... :cool:

You never played third base then and in the first inning have a brand new rock hard 16 inch softball zeroing in on your head!!!:smile:

skottyj242
01-04-2007, 12:41 PM
You never played third base then and in the first inning have a brand new rock hard 16 inch softball zeroing in on your head!!!:smile:

I think I just jammed a finger thinking about that.

MarySwiss
01-04-2007, 01:20 PM

I think I just jammed a finger thinking about that.

Ouch! True that!

Especially in Chicago in May, when the temp is still around 40 degrees or so. After years of 16", your hands look like you got them caught in a meat-grinder! Can't beat fun on the ol' softball diamond, can ya? :D:

Out here, the 16" leagues are played with a mitt. Wimps!

redsand22
01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd be in for the game 1B ;) Sounds like a great idea.

Iwritecode
01-04-2007, 01:33 PM

I played every position. Mostly pitching. Lots of line-drives there as well. Friend of mine had his nose broke twice while pitching. 12" balls aren't exactly soft. :cool:

jenn2080
01-04-2007, 01:35 PM

It is grand for me playing 1st base with that rock hard ball coming at my head.

soxfan13
01-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I played every position. Mostly pitching. Lots of line-drives there as well. Friend of mine had his nose broke twice while pitching. 12" balls aren't exactly soft. :cool:

I know but you have a mitt. All my years of playing I have seen many a broken nose, broken rib from the ball. Also saw a shortstop carted to the hospital after taking a shot to the chest with a brand new ball:smile:

Iwritecode
01-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I know but you have a mitt. All my years of playing I have seen many a broken nose, broken rib from the ball. Also saw a shortstop carted to the hospital after taking a shot to the chest with a brand new ball:smile:

I've got a fairly broken in 16" ball. I'll bring it with.

Along with my 12" and glove just in case... :wink:

ILuvThatDuck
01-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Oh I am so in for the softball game. 2 words come to mind when I think of the possibilities: "Compound Fracture".
I'll pitch. I aint afraid of no 16" ball.

soxfan13
01-04-2007, 02:30 PM
I've got a fairly broken in 16" ball. I'll bring it with.

Along with my 12" and glove just in case... :wink:

Ill bring the brand new 16 inch broken in balls suck :D:

Jerko
01-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh I am so in for the softball game. 2 words come to mind when I think of the possibilities: "Compound Fracture".
I'll pitch. I aint afraid of no 16" ball.

I HATED playing 3rd in the cold with a brand new ball, but the worst liner I ever got smoked with was while pitching with a 16 inch ball. Caught it and doubled the guy off first, but it knocked me for a good loop. I had to move down in the batting order because I was supposed to lead-off. Today it would probably kill me. I'll be a coach, like Burt Reynolds in the latest "The Longest Yard" movie.

Oh, and sometimes the soft broken-in softballs are easier to jam your fingers with IIRC....

Sounds like a good idea though.

soxfan13
01-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I HATED playing 3rd in the cold with a brand new ball, but the worst liner I ever got smoked with was while pitching with a 16 inch ball. Caught it and doubled the guy off first, but it knocked me for a good loop. I had to move down in the batting order because I was supposed to lead-off. Today it would probably kill me. I'll be a coach, like Burt Reynolds in the latest "The Longest Yard" movie.

Oh, and sometimes the soft broken-in softballs are easier to jam your fingers with IIRC....

Sounds like a good idea though.

My 1st baseman hated me when it was cold. I would throw that new ball as hard as I could over to him. :tongue:

jenn2080
01-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Ill bring the brand new 16 inch broken in balls suck :D:

A broken in ball would last about 3 innings if that. Must have a new ball.

MarySwiss
01-04-2007, 06:00 PM
What about bats? I've got a Bombat and a HoosierBat, but I doubt they'd let me carry them onto the plane. :D:

Iwritecode
01-04-2007, 11:46 PM
What about bats? I've got a Bombat and a HoosierBat, but I doubt they'd let me carry them onto the plane. :D:

I've got a couple of bats I can bring. There not the new titanum or anything like that. Just plain, old-fashioned, aluminum bats. Ones 34/34 and one is 34/32.

DumpJerry
01-05-2007, 12:45 AM
I've got a couple of bats I can bring. There not the new titanum or anything like that. Just plain, old-fashioned, aluminum bats. Ones 34/34 and one is 34/32.
Contradiction!

Iwritecode
01-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Contradiction!

:?:

DumpJerry
01-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Contradiction!

:?:
If ain't wood (not Wilbur), it ain't "plain" or "old fashioned."

soxstarter
01-05-2007, 01:05 AM
This sounds great TornL.! Pending the date, I am in. Not sure if I will play softball though. (Getting hit in the nose during games tends to run in my family) But I can cheer. :D: And it is a worthy cause.

Iwritecode
01-05-2007, 09:59 AM
If ain't wood (not Wilbur), it ain't "plain" or "old fashioned."

Well, compared to some of the graphite/titanium bats I've seen at sporting goods stores that are selling for $300-$400, they are old-fashioned and plain. IIRC, I might have paid $30 or $40 for each one.

NorthSideSox72
01-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm working with Mike at SoxTalk on this, and wanted to confirm that...

1. We DEFINITELY meant 16".

2. Folks at ST are also very excited about the idea - we're looking forward to it!

TornLabrum
01-05-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm working with Mike at SoxTalk on this, and wanted to confirm that...

1. We DEFINITELY meant 16".

2. Folks at ST are also very excited about the idea - we're looking forward to it!

And from what I understand, the may date is looking like the preferred one. Here's the email I got from Mike today:

Hal, count Soxtalk as in. I am going to get in contact with Chicago Parks Dept to try to see about reserving Armour Park, or another field close to the ballpark on May 26th. We also think a $20 minimum donation for playing and/or attending sounds like a good figure to stat with for the softball game. CBCC sounds like a perfect cause, and we are exciting about doing something to support both them and WCSF. Hopefully we get a good response, because this would make an excellent annual event.

whitesoxwilkes
01-06-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm a wicked third base coach. I think Wilkes should play left out. I think we should also do a bean bag tournament against those other dudes, myself and itsnotrequired are a force to be reckoned with.

I play a mean 1st base (6'2" with some serious hops) and can pitch as well.

FielderJones
01-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Count me in for softball. I'm better at pitcher and outfield, but I'll play anywhere you want me.

crazyozzie02
01-09-2007, 12:07 AM
oh man i would love to play. im only gonna be 20 but i still got some pep in my step:D: . the only question is how are we going to decide who plays? If there is more than one game, like a best 2 of 3 series started in the morning, then i can see it, but otherwise how is it going to be figured out. Other than that, i cant wait to go to my first WSI Fests this year.

TornLabrum
01-14-2007, 01:00 AM
I've taken it upon myself to invite the Windy City Sox Fans to our patio party in May. They're having a board meeting next week and it will be on the agenda.

Domeshot17
01-14-2007, 01:16 AM
I missed COTC 2, but Me and the fiancee will be there this year. Im also in the group of younger guys that would be happy to play. maybe since each site has so many members, a 16-30 game and a 30+ game?

FedEx227
01-14-2007, 01:19 AM
I missed COTC 2, but Me and the fiancee will be there this year. Im also in the group of younger guys that would be happy to play. maybe since each site has so many members, a 16-30 game and a 30+ game?

That would be a GREAT idea, judging by what we have already in numbers we would be able to field two pretty full teams.

Rocky Soprano
01-21-2007, 01:58 AM
These are some great ideas!

Count me in for softball. I would love to play. We have tournaments at my company and I usually play SS, but am willing to play wherever.

MarySwiss
01-21-2007, 11:51 AM
When you say "guys..." :?:

Ah, I keed, I keed! I agree with you; a "Masters" game probably would be a good idea since there seems to be so much interest.