PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Anderson?

thomas35forever
01-03-2007, 05:41 PM
If KW were to shop Brian Anderson for a leadoff hitter, who would you go with?

lakeviewsoxfan
01-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Rickey Henderson

spiffie
01-03-2007, 05:44 PM
No one. We have a leadoff hitter in Podsednik. Brian is going to be a Gold Glove winner and a very good CF if people will just relax and give him time to develop. Some players take 5-6 years in the majors to really find themselves. Look at Crede!

JB98
01-03-2007, 05:47 PM
No one. We have a leadoff hitter in Podsednik. Brian is going to be a Gold Glove winner and a very good CF if people will just relax and give him time to develop. Some players take 5-6 years in the majors to really find themselves. Look at Crede!

I really hate this argument.

BA's defenders have two justifications for their support of him:
1. Mackowiak sucks.
2. Crede used to suck, but he doesn't suck anymore.

Neither of those two statements prove that Brian Anderson will develop into a good player.

sox1970
01-03-2007, 05:49 PM

I think Anderson will turn out to be a good major league player, but if he would bring a player that could help the Sox win in 2007, I'd trade him in a second. I'm not against keeping him either, but he's certainly not untouchable if I'm KW.

spiffie
01-03-2007, 05:54 PM

1. Mackowiak sucks.

Neither of those two statements prove that Brian Anderson will develop into a good player.
If Brian had put together 4-5 years of below-average play at the major league level, I would tend to agree with you. But right now you have a guy who has put together a career minor league line of 306/375/486. He had two months last year where he showed what he can do at the major league level. I think a player like that, who has hit at every level up until now, and who brings excellent defense to the table, is not someone you give up on that quickly. Now if Kenny Williams were to decide to make some sort of major upgrade in CF I of course would applaud it. But this isn't some journeyman who we're hoping will get it together. He's a 24 year old who has given no reason outside of a couple crappy months to believe he will not become a high-quality player.

Standing Ovation
01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Johnny Damon

Jjav829
01-03-2007, 06:07 PM

Brian Anderson would not bring us a leadoff hitter better than Scott Podsednik.

voodoochile
01-03-2007, 06:13 PM

1. Mackowiak sucks.

LOL... I have never understood the argument that since such and such an All Star player started out crappy and now they are good so such and such a young crappy player will surely develop into an All Star.

Unfortunately the selective memory syndrome is in full effect here. For every ex-crappy player turned all star there are a lot more ex-crappy player turned grocery bagger...

Personally, I think BA will be fine, but that's from watching him play and gut instinct, not because I think he in any way resembles Ken Griffey jr. (who probably never started out crappy anyway...)

voodoochile
01-03-2007, 06:14 PM

details...

details...

DumpJerry
01-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Nobody. Kenny does not ask me such questions.:cool:

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 06:23 PM

We would have to pick the right AA "mid-tier" prospect that we'd scouted the hell out of...someone like a Jason Tyner with more power, the ability to play CF and high OBP. I can't imagine finding this guy through stats, only the White Sox scouts would know where he exists in AA/AAA.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/Chris-Denorfia.shtml Here's one example, a kid who would get you 15-20 steals per season.

We're definitely not getting Aaron Freel for BA, or even Brad Wilkerson.

EMachine10
01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Nobody. Why trade him? Because he's a young rookie, who didn't bat .400 in his first year? If we trade him now, we make 2006 a complete waste of time. We've invested our time and the services of other players to give Brian a fair shot, and he should continue to get that shot. Nobody is saying that since Crede started slow and turned out to be a near all-star that BA will be a near all-star one day. But we're saying that some players take time to develop, and Anderson might be one of those guys. Give him a few more years and those who are down on him should be rather impressed with the progress he has made. Let's not forget about his stellar play in the outfield this year. He's already helping us win with his defense (I remember reading a stat in the middle of the season that somebody posted -- something about the amount of runs saved per game). His bat will come around and he seems like a nice fit in our clubhouse. Ugh, I wish we could lay off the kid for a little while.

esbrechtel
01-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Johnny Damon

teal?

nedlug
01-03-2007, 08:12 PM

Bingo.

veeter
01-03-2007, 09:00 PM

1. Mackowiak sucks.

Neither of those two statements prove that Brian Anderson will develop into a good player.No, but it does mean he has a chance. I think, a good chance.

dwalteroo
01-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I think we should keep BA. At the same time, I worry about having BA and Uribe in the same lineup, which essentially means two guys potentially hitting in the low .200's again. So, I guess I don't know what KW should do.

HOWEVER, one thing - if we do keep BA, do you guys think he'll agree to stop hitting for power and hit more defensively? It seems to me he turned it around when he was going for singles and doubles. But then again, I'm no sabrematrician.

jabrch
01-04-2007, 12:52 AM

1. Mackowiak sucks.

BULL****

The biggest arguement that "BA's defenders" have is that Brian has succeeded at every level, and showed some skills late in the season with us last year.

The biggest arguement that BA's bashers have is that he was bad for a large part of his rookie season. That's much weaker than the arguement that his "defenders" have.

jabrch
01-04-2007, 12:55 AM
We're definitely not getting Aaron Freel for BA, or even Brad Wilkerson.

We could DEFINITELY get Wilkerson for BA. Brad Wilkerson is a worse option than BA or Pods as a leadoff hitter.

caulfield12
01-04-2007, 04:51 AM
We could DEFINITELY get Wilkerson for BA. Brad Wilkerson is a worse option than BA or Pods as a leadoff hitter.

BA is NOT a leadoff hitter and never will be.

Jerksticks
01-04-2007, 08:57 AM
let him be please. just let him be.

rdwj
01-04-2007, 09:09 AM

1. Mackowiak sucks.

3. He played solid D including some SPECTACULAR plays
4. His at-bats improved as the year went on
5. It's not unusual for rookies to struggle
6. He was put into a very tough position - expected to play CF for a defending World Champ without a decent backup

What are the arguments against again? He struggled with the bat in his rookie year, therefore he'll never pan out?

ondafarm
01-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Some guys who come up are lousy because they are lousy players. Some just can't adjust to the major league game and some guys just have too much pressure put on them too early. BA has shown great defense in CF after a few rookie bone headed plays. BA has shown glimmers of power and his hitting in general has been okay for streteches. He'll be fine and trading him now would be incredibly stupid (see buy high, sell low.)

caulfield12
01-04-2007, 10:11 AM
3. He played solid D including some SPECTACULAR plays
4. His at-bats improved as the year went on
5. It's not unusual for rookies to struggle
6. He was put into a very tough position - expected to play CF for a defending World Champ without a decent backup

What are the arguments against again? He struggled with the bat in his rookie year, therefore he'll never pan out?

As long as Brian can hit .260 with 10-15 homers per season and 65-75 RBI's (see Rowand, Aaron), then we/he should be fine.

Anything less will put his career in jeopardy...especially high strikeout numbers with limited power and no stolen bases.

AZChiSoxFan
01-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Nobody. Kenny does not ask me such questions.:cool:

Well, that's only becuase of your name (DumpJerry). KW likes Jerry and if you had a different name he probably would be inclined to ask your opinion. :smile:

TheVulture
01-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Well, that's only becuase of your name (DumpJerry). KW likes Jerry and if you had a different name he probably would be inclined to ask your opinion. :smile:

I could be wrong, but I believe the name refers to everyone's favorite ex-manager.

maurice
01-04-2007, 01:50 PM
If KW were to shop Brian Anderson for a leadoff hitter . . . .

KW is having a hard time finding a 2nd CF, now you want him to trade the only one he has?

For those who dislike BA because he's young and unproven, you probably wouldn't like it very much if BA were traded and replaced in CF with Ryan Sweeney (younger, less proven, and worse defensively in CF).

If you want BA replaced with a good, veteran CF, start naming names. The ideal CF option you envision (1) is not currently available, (2) makes more money than KW is willing to spend, (3) is hurt all the time, and/or (4) doesn't bat leadoff.

The Immigrant
01-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Who would I go with? Grady Sizemore, straight up. :wink:

caulfield12
01-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Erstad, Preston Wilson and MAYBE Steve Finley would be adequate back-ups, better than Terrero IMO.

Wilson is the only one the White Sox might be okay with playing a full season.

Zisk77
01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
An incomplete list of sox players who couldn't hit their first year of service:

Joe Crede
Robin Ventura
Lance Johnson
Sammy Sosa
Ron Karkovice (ok he never becam a good hitter but he did become dangerous including a 20 hr season).

And sure for every Joe Crede their is probably 5 Joe Borchards, but B.A. Is already one of the best defensive cf's in the game. He has also always been able to hit in the minors. I think we should give him some time to hit major league pitching before he is shown the door.

nodiggity59
01-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Erstad, Preston Wilson and MAYBE Steve Finley would be adequate back-ups, better than Terrero IMO.

Wilson is the only one the White Sox might be okay with playing a full season.

Wilson would be good as a RH off the bench. Can he play CF better than Mack anymore?

caulfield12
01-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Wilson would be good as a RH off the bench. Can he play CF better than Mack anymore?

Well, he was playing it in the playoffs for StL last year, and he played 120+ games in 2005 there, it would be hard to imagine anyone "worse" than Mackowiak, although I think he did come up as a 3B originally.

Tragg
01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Give me young, unproven offensively, top of the league defensively, over proven mediocrity any day.

Loading a team up with mediocre veterans is a sure-fire way to 75 wins.

caulfield12
01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Are/were Uribe and Rowand much more than "average" veterans?

Wouldn't you rather put more money into backing up CF than Uribe (Cintron)?

ondafarm
01-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Are/were Uribe and Rowand much more than "average" veterans?

Wouldn't you rather put more money into backing up CF than Uribe (Cintron)?

Uribe, when acquired for Miles, was considered talented but underperforming.