PDA

View Full Version : Cool Sox Story involving Bobby Jenks

Domeshot17
01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
My mom works for Walgreens and a few days ago they were swamped (right before the new year). She was called over to photo to give someone a break, and my mom said she was really busy could it wait. The other lady told her a person had dropped off 9 rolls of film for 1 hour photo and they had to get done, so my Mom stayed to help her. The way their photo machine works their is a little screen that shows the picture as it comes out, to make sure the film is coming out clean. My mom looks up and shes like I recognize that person, few more same thing, then BOOM, Picture of Bobby Jenks with his kids at the all star game. My mom grabs the envelope info filled in, yup, last name JENKS.

She said all 9 rolls were dropped off and picked up by Jenks' wife. My mom couldn't believe it. She said Jenks looked like a good dad as most of the pictues were him and his kids. (EDIT TO CLARIFY) I had asked if he was drinking in any, and she said it did not appear so. I was happy for Bobby that he has really cleaned up and become a professional and a family man, putting the partying behind him.

When his wife came back, my mom went on a little rant, my Son and his Fiancee love your husband. He is one of their favorite players even named their Dog after him (Jenksy). Apprently his wife is really nice, they chatted for a few minutes about how much the kids love to travel and see him play, and she said she would tell him about this and see if she could score an autograph for my mom to give to me next time they drop off film.

As cool as all this was, I think I was more shocked Bobby Jenks' Wife uses a film camera and not a digital.

Edit: Didn't think this warrented the clubhouse, but if so, feel free to move it Mods.

sox1970
01-03-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm sure they'll appreciate this.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
She also said she was suprised none of the pictures had Jenks drinking in them. I guess Jenks really has sobered up, which is a big part of his new success.

:?:

Why are you surprised? Did all photos of Jenks from back in the day show him with some booze duct taped to his hands?

fquaye149
01-03-2007, 02:03 PM
:?:

Why are you surprised? Did all photos of Jenks from back in the day show him with some booze duct taped to his hands?

Edward Fortyhands isn't a part of every minor league development program?

WhiteSox5187
01-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I think its a feux paux (spelling? I don't speak French) to ask for an autograph. Conversation is fine, but autographs? Nah...

jenn2080
01-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I think its a feux paux (spelling? I don't speak French) to ask for an autograph. Conversation is fine, but autographs? Nah...

When his wife came back, my mom went on a little rant, my Son and his Fiancee love your husband. He is one of their favorite players even named their Dog after him (Jenksy). Apprently his wife is really nice, they chatted for a few minutes about how much the kids love to travel and see him play, and she said she would tell him about this and see if she could score an autograph for my mom to give to me next time they drop off film

His mom did not ask for an autograph.

fquaye149
01-03-2007, 02:39 PM

faux pas.

And yes,it would be even more than a faux pas---it would be unprofessional to ask a customer for an autograph.

However, as Jenn pointed out, that does not seem to be what happened

Domeshot17
01-03-2007, 03:18 PM
My mom knows the drill. Where she works it is common place for athletes to come in once or twice a week. I know she has had conversations with Bo Jackson, Stan Makita and others and has seen Jim Thome in her store before. Me being the sports lover I am has always been like, Mom, Autograph. But she won't let it compromise her job. She has even had to talk to some of the kids who work there for doing just this.

I guess you would have to know my mom to understand, but the story makes sense to me. My mom is the type of person who will chat your ear off about your kids and your family, no matter who you are. She said the bulk of the convo was spent talking about the kids, not Bobby Jenks.

And the comment about the drinking was more of a proud of Bobby. He WAS waived by Anaheim for having an alcohol problem. I am proud of him as a fan for cleaning up and putting his family and his career first. It is very easy for a young athlete to fall into the wrong crowds, too much partying, and for many it is even harded to get this back on track. I had asked my mom if he was drinking in any of the pics (she really only looked closely at 10-15 of the pics closely on the screen) and she said no.

itsnotrequired
01-03-2007, 03:36 PM
And the comment about the drinking was more of a proud of Bobby. He WAS waived by Anaheim for having an alcohol problem. I am proud of him as a fan for cleaning up and putting his family and his career first. It is very easy for a young athlete to fall into the wrong crowds, too much partying, and for many it is even harded to get this back on track. I had asked my mom if he was drinking in any of the pics (she really only looked closely at 10-15 of the pics closely on the screen) and she said no.

No doubt alcohol and other off-field events played a part in his release but Jenks was also an injury concern. Remember, he was on the DL three times in 2003 and 2004. He only pitched 18 innings in 2004. The Angels needed to clear a spot on the 40-man roster and given his injuries, pitching struggles and off-field problems, he was a logical choice. To say he WAS waived because of alcohol is speculation at best. The Sox took a chance on him and came out way ahead.

And who cares if none of the photos showed him drinking? What does that even mean?

DumpJerry
01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Picture of Bobby Jenks with his kids at the all star game.
That was in July. What took him so long?

WhiteSox5187
01-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I have undeveloped film from 2003.

Iguana775
01-03-2007, 07:42 PM
My mom works for Walgreens and a few days ago they were swamped (right before the new year). She was called over to photo to give someone a break, and my mom said she was really busy could it wait. The other lady told her a person had dropped off 9 rolls of film for 1 hour photo and they had to get done, so my Mom stayed to help her. The way their photo machine works their is a little screen that shows the picture as it comes out, to make sure the film is coming out clean. My mom looks up and shes like I recognize that person, few more same thing, then BOOM, Picture of Bobby Jenks with his kids at the all star game. My mom grabs the envelope info filled in, yup, last name JENKS.

She said all 9 rolls were dropped off and picked up by Jenks' wife. My mom couldn't believe it. She said Jenks looked like a good dad as most of the pictues were him and his kids. (EDIT TO CLARIFY) I had asked if he was drinking in any, and she said it did not appear so. I was happy for Bobby that he has really cleaned up and become a professional and a family man, putting the partying behind him.

When his wife came back, my mom went on a little rant, my Son and his Fiancee love your husband. He is one of their favorite players even named their Dog after him (Jenksy). Apprently his wife is really nice, they chatted for a few minutes about how much the kids love to travel and see him play, and she said she would tell him about this and see if she could score an autograph for my mom to give to me next time they drop off film.

As cool as all this was, I think I was more shocked Bobby Jenks' Wife uses a film camera and not a digital.

Edit: Didn't think this warrented the clubhouse, but if so, feel free to move it Mods.

nice story!

But I didnt know that 35mm film was still made. lol

Domeshot17
01-03-2007, 09:22 PM
EDIT: Not sure where the post I replied too went, but if its gone, my comment should be too

gaelhound
01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
faux pas.

And yes,it would be even more than a faux pas---it would be unprofessional to ask a customer for an autograph.

However, as Jenn pointed out, that does not seem to be what happened Thank You Frenchy Fquaye149!:tongue:

TDog
01-04-2007, 05:28 AM
... As cool as all this was, I think I was more shocked Bobby Jenks' Wife uses a film camera and not a digital. ...

Don't knock 35mm photography. I get substantially better quality digital files with a $300 Canon 35mm camera and a $500 4,000 dpi Nikon film scanner than I could with a $1,200 digital camera.

fquaye149
01-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Thank You Frenchy Fquaye149!:tongue:

That's "Freedomy Fquaye149"

soxstarter
01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Liked that story. On the film...I am technically challenged too and haven't purchased a digital camera. My bet is they forgot their digital and had to purchase one of those disposable ones at the last minute.

AZChiSoxFan
01-04-2007, 12:29 PM
nice story!

But I didnt know that 35mm film was still made. lol

35mm ?? I figured he used 110 film.

TheVulture
01-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Film rules digital stinks. The only good thing about digital is it is cheaper.