PDA

View Full Version : Is there any Sox pitching prospect you wouldn't trade

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
straight-up to get Chris Young back from the Diamondbacks?

I'm assuming the conversation here begins and ends with Danks and possibly Gio.

Of course, Anderson "true believers" are going to say this thread is silly and that there's no need to get Chris Young back anyway, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Would you trade Fields or Sweeney to get back Chris Young? That would have to depend in some ways on your insight into a possible Crede extension. Wouldn't most trade Sweeney to get back CY?

The other pitchers I think you'd definitely deal for Chris Young would be Haeger, Broadway, McCullogh (in June/July), Masset, Rasner and Floyd.
(NOTE: not including Sisco, Aardsma, Liotta, Honel, Malone, Phillips, Logan, Vazquez in the discussion).

Of course, many believe you should NEVER trade pitching for hitting as a philosophy.

spiffie
01-03-2007, 11:52 AM
straight-up to get Chris Young back from the Diamondbacks?

I'm assuming the conversation here begins and ends with Danks and possibly Gio.

Of course, Anderson "true believers" are going to say this thread is silly and that there's no need to get Chris Young back anyway, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Would you trade Fields or Sweeney to get back Chris Young? That would have to depend in some ways on your insight into a possible Crede extension. Wouldn't most trade Sweeney to get back CY?

The other pitchers I think you'd definitely deal for Chris Young would be Haeger, Broadway, McCullogh (in June/July), Masset, Rasner and Floyd.
(NOTE: not including Sisco, Aardsma, Liotta, Honel, Malone, Phillips, Logan, Vazquez in the discussion).

Of course, many believe you should NEVER trade pitching for hitting as a philosophy.
Not a single one of them. Kenny Williams made these decisions for a reason. He obviously felt that he would be better off with Anderson/Sweeney/Owens available. And he picked up these pitchers for a reason, because he and his high-quality scouting department have made the decision that these pitchers are going to eventually excel at the major league level. Nothing proves that more than Gio, a guy who he obviously let go with reluctance, and then moved to reclaim a year later. That speaks volumes about the confidence he has in the talent evaluators. So I say if Kenny Williams was okay with letting Young go and drafting/trading for these pitchers, then that is exactly how it should be.

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Not a single one of them. Kenny Williams made these decisions for a reason. He obviously felt that he would be better off with Anderson/Sweeney/Owens available. And he picked up these pitchers for a reason, because he and his high-quality scouting department have made the decision that these pitchers are going to eventually excel at the major league level. Nothing proves that more than Gio, a guy who he obviously let go with reluctance, and then moved to reclaim a year later. That speaks volumes about the confidence he has in the talent evaluators. So I say if Kenny Williams was okay with letting Young go and drafting/trading for these pitchers, then that is exactly how it should be.

However, since KW was very reluctant to let Young go, from all reports, moreso than Gio, wouldn't it make sense that he would also want him back as well, especially with the surplus of pitching prospects we currently enjoy and the fact that Luis Terrero is our only insurance policy for another Anderson first half slide this year?

Obviously, he's been willing to let McCarthy, Young and Gio go, all of whom have been considered at various times, "can't miss" prospects. Not to mention he brought back Alomar and Everett multiple times, now Gio.

spiffie
01-03-2007, 12:00 PM
However, since KW was very reluctant to let Young go, from all reports, moreso than Gio, wouldn't it make sense that he would also want him back as well, especially with the surplus of pitching prospects we currently enjoy and the fact that Luis Terrero is our only insurance policy for another Anderson first half slide this year?

Obviously, he's been willing to let McCarthy, Young and Gio go, all of whom have been considered at various times, "can't miss" prospects. Not to mention he brought back Alomar and Everett multiple times, now Gio.
"from all reports" is just more mediot crap. Never believe anything you ever read in the media. All that shows is Kenny putting spin on the story to make sure that no one ever thinks he will give up a prospect cheaply.

I have no doubt that Kenny Williams will leave the OF in good hands. If Terrero is the 4th OF I'm sure he will do an excellent job. He is supposedly a very skilled prospect who just hasn't put it all together. Under the tutelage of the White Sox coaching staff there is no reason to expect anything but improvement from his previous numbers.

maurice
01-03-2007, 12:26 PM
I would love to have Young back . . . for LF, not CF. But it's not gonna happen for a number of reasons:
1. There is no indication that Arizona wants to trade him, certainly not for another young position player like Fields or Sweeney.
2. KW apparently decided that pitching depth is worth more than Young, and I don't think he changed his mind.
3. I seriously doubt that KW intends to trade Danks, and I also doubt that Arizona would accept Haeger, Broadway, McCullogh, etc. instead.

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 12:44 PM
"from all reports" is just more mediot crap. Never believe anything you ever read in the media. All that shows is Kenny putting spin on the story to make sure that no one ever thinks he will give up a prospect cheaply.

I have no doubt that Kenny Williams will leave the OF in good hands. If Terrero is the 4th OF I'm sure he will do an excellent job. He is supposedly a very skilled prospect who just hasn't put it all together. Under the tutelage of the White Sox coaching staff there is no reason to expect anything but improvement from his previous numbers.

Julio Ramirez. Armando Rios. Brian Daubach.

Those are outfielders that even more would be expected of than Terrero.

spiffie
01-03-2007, 01:00 PM

That just makes no sense. Terrero was the #1 prospect in the entire D-backs organization back in 2002 according to Baseball America. He's a young kid who is still developing. No reason he cannot be a slow developer just like Jon Garland or Joe Crede.

TheVulture
01-03-2007, 01:08 PM

You have officially entered the world of the ridiculous, with this your posting has become Dali-esque. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of appreciation for the absurd.

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Fine, and Joe Borchard was the #1 prospect in the White Sox organization in 2001 or 2002.

Julio Ramirez was one of the top prospects in the Marlins organization.

Not one White Sox fan would expect more than 82-85 wins with Luis Terrero playing 145 games for us this season.

We've had thousands of "just developing" prospects. Willie Harris was just developing. Sure, every once in awhile a late-bloomer like Luis Gonzalez comes along, but he's just as likely to be Jeff Liefer/Carlos Pena as Alex Rios. I'm surprised you are not arguing we need to reacquire Alex Escobar or McKay Christenson.

McKay was a Top 10 pick and what happened with his career?

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
That just makes no sense. Terrero was the #1 prospect in the entire D-backs organization back in 2002 according to Baseball America. He's a young kid who is still developing. No reason he cannot be a slow developer just like Jon Garland or Joe Crede.

And there's no reason that Kris Honel won't win the Cy Young in 2010 and Corwin Malone won't become the best LH reliever in the major leagues.

JB98
01-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I would not trade Broadway or Danks straight up for Chris Young. Any of the others I would be willing to part with.

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 02:19 PM
So you actually prefer Broadway to Gio?

Why?

By all accounts, and by what I've seen on their different scouting videos and minor league reports, Gio is thought to be a 2-3 starter with Broadway topping out as a 4/5. Gio definitely has the bigger upside, but perhaps you prefer the "reliability" of another Garland to what amounts to Barry Zito with a frail body and a better fastball but less consistent curve (Gio)? I guess the thinking is that Broadway is more likely to "make it" as a big leaguer but Gio has the potential to be a stud...more or less.

Would you trade McCarthy for Chris Young?

spiffie
01-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Fine, and Joe Borchard was the #1 prospect in the White Sox organization in 2001 or 2002.

Julio Ramirez was one of the top prospects in the Marlins organization.

Not one White Sox fan would expect more than 82-85 wins with Luis Terrero playing 145 games for us this season.

We've had thousands of "just developing" prospects. Willie Harris was just developing. Sure, every once in awhile a late-bloomer like Luis Gonzalez comes along, but he's just as likely to be Jeff Liefer/Carlos Pena as Alex Rios. I'm surprised you are not arguing we need to reacquire Alex Escobar or McKay Christenson.

McKay was a Top 10 pick and what happened with his career?
Agreed sometimes prospects don't pan out. But look at these two lines:
249/319/358
239/299/418

The first line is Terrero in 2004 at age 24. The second is Joe Crede in 2004 at age 26. Terrero has had just over one full season of major league experience. To judge him off of that seems somewhat foolish. Sure, he might not pan out, but obviously he was someone who Kenny Williams wanted, and if the best GM in baseball decides to pick up someone, shouldn't we be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume the best? Just because he's not a pitcher doesn't mean the Sox can't pull the talent that was obviously inside of him out and turn him into a good MLB player.

JB98
01-03-2007, 04:28 PM
So you actually prefer Broadway to Gio?

Why?

By all accounts, and by what I've seen on their different scouting videos and minor league reports, Gio is thought to be a 2-3 starter with Broadway topping out as a 4/5. Gio definitely has the bigger upside, but perhaps you prefer the "reliability" of another Garland to what amounts to Barry Zito with a frail body and a better fastball but less consistent curve (Gio)? I guess the thinking is that Broadway is more likely to "make it" as a big leaguer but Gio has the potential to be a stud...more or less.

Would you trade McCarthy for Chris Young?

I absolutely see Broadway as the next Garland. I don't think he's going to be spectacular, but I do think he's going to be a reliable middle-of-the-rotation starter. You need those guys around. I'm not sure what to think of Gio yet, but if I'm going to hold on to one of the lefty prospects, I'd hold on to Danks.

McCarthy for Chris Young? No. Unlike the rest of these pitchers were discussing, Brandon has a year and a half of big-league service time. IMO, he's worth more than just Chris Young.

Tekijawa
01-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Denks, Massett and Gio

I might have to get a Gio Jersey, the kid can pitch!

Massett will be great in the Pen and denks will be a nice addition to the rotation in a year or two, Right along with Gonzales!

sox1970
01-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Considering they just traded to get him back, I wouldn't move Gio for a couple years. Gotta stick with him for a while.

caulfield12
01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't think we'll trade Gio again...unless he goes Liotta on us, and then it won't matter anyway, although Gio has too much talent not to at least put up some impressive strikeout numbers.