PDA

View Full Version : Soxfest attendees not staying at the Palmer House

soxwon
01-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Who here is going to stay downtown? But not at the Palmer House?
Im going to try to find a room somewhere close, but under $100
Anyone know any place?

itsnotrequired
01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Who here is going to stay downtown? But not at the Palmer House?
Im going to try to find a room somewhere close, but under $100
Anyone know any place?

Under $100? This place might fit your budget.

http://www.pgm.org/

:tongue:

Mercy!
01-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Under $100? This place might fit your budget.

http://www.pgm.org/

:tongue:
Amen! May I eat now?

soxwon
01-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Beautifull -Da Reverand knows Da Founder of it.
I can stays for freea, Thank You Thank You

Beer Can Chicken
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
I didnt think there was such thing as hotel under $100 in our fair city.
If there is one, I bet this place is nicer.

http://www.hichicago.org/

soxwon
01-02-2007, 06:38 PM

actually there is right around the corner from the Hyatt on Wacker
is Club Quarters, i stayed there last year for $89 a night,
Rooms are a bit small, but clean and was across from soxfest.
I think ill book it again this year.

soxwon
01-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I found another Club Quarters at 111 w adams
5 or 6 blocks from the Palmer House
$74 a night

Mercy!
01-02-2007, 07:23 PM

I saw a bit about it on TV once. Looked pretty nice if you are into the international hosteling scene

But I thought they said that they required you to swear that you weren't from the Chicago area. You know, to keep it available for travellers.

Domeshot17
01-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Ill be at the palmer house for the weekend. Was my X-mas gift from my Fiancee's parents. Im stoaked, first time Ive stayed in the hotel before

jenn2080
01-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Check hotwire.com

kittle42
01-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Ill be at the palmer house for the weekend. Was my X-mas gift from my Fiancee's parents. Im stoaked, first time Ive stayed in the hotel before

Don't get your hopes up.

ewokpelts
01-02-2007, 11:42 PM
plenty of rooms at the hyatt, or the hilton and towers...both venues are better choices for soxfest over the palmer house

dllrbll7
01-03-2007, 11:20 AM
plenty of rooms at the hyatt, or the hilton and towers...both venues are better choices for soxfest over the palmer house

They Hyatt right now is still around $200/room but the Palmer house actually has a room for $150. Not bad but its one of those online deals that you cant cancel....

kittle42
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM

No kidding. Just a warning to you guys attending...I have been at the Palmer House for two separate events - one a New Year's party and the other another convention-type thing. The staff seriosuly screwed both of them up completely. Long, useless lines, total confusion, and much anger amongst the attendees.

I wish you all the best, but don't have high expectations.

dickallen15
01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
There's about a 99.9% chance you would be able to get a 4 star room on priceline.com for $69 + taxes and fees for these dates. Bid on NMA and/or loop zones. Chances are you will get the Hyatt, Westin or Hilton. You can't choose what hotel, just the star level and approximate location. It also cannot be canceled.

Iwritecode
01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
No kidding. Just a warning to you guys attending...I have been at the Palmer House for two separate events - one a New Year's party and the other another convention-type thing. The staff seriosuly screwed both of them up completely. Long, useless lines, total confusion, and much anger amongst the attendees.

I wish you all the best, but don't have high expectations.

That sounds like Soxfest last year...

ewokpelts
01-03-2007, 05:13 PM
That sounds like Soxfest last year...
i dont get all the hate for soxfest 06...it looked no different than 05, 04, 03 02, 01...it's always been tight when i've went.
the only differnt thing may have been that the HOTEL was fully booked.

Brian26
01-03-2007, 08:33 PM
i dont get all the hate for soxfest 06...it looked no different than 05, 04, 03 02, 01...it's always been tight when i've went.

Are you joking? 2006 was the same as 2001-2005? Not even close. Not even within the same solar system. Were you behind on the floor at all on Saturday and Sunday? The lines and the crowds were twice as big as I've ever seen them.

jenn2080
01-03-2007, 09:00 PM

I waited in line for 3 hours just to enter Soxfest. Then I spent another hour in line for a bracelet for Pods autograph which started a line 2 1/2 hours before he actually started autographing. With that said there was no time to go do anything else. Soxfest 06 was a madhouse.

Mohoney
01-04-2007, 06:01 AM
Down to the important matter at hand. Where are we going to go to get a few drinks afterward?

Iwritecode
01-04-2007, 08:22 AM

Oh maybe the simple fact that there were nearly twice as many people there as in 2005? :dunno:

skottyj242
01-04-2007, 09:22 AM
I've got a couch spot I can sell for just under a hundred a night. I'll even throw in the el ride free.

ohiosoxfan
01-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Try this link: www.travelzoo.com (http://www.travelzoo.com). They usually have some great hotel deals. Just search for deals in Chicago.

soxwon
01-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Try this link: www.travelzoo.com (http://www.travelzoo.com). They usually have some great hotel deals. Just search for deals in Chicago.

im tellin ya people
Club Quarters on adams near carson pirie scott
$74 a night 5 blocks from the palmer house.

oh what's the name of the bar in the palmer house?
that's where the players and fans can drink.

ChiSoxGirl
01-04-2007, 09:43 PM
oh what's the name of the bar in the palmer house?
that's where the players and fans can drink.

Trader Vic's, but from what I understand, it closed several months ago.

EDIT: There's The Big Downtown (http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/CHIPHHH-The-Palmer-House-Hilton-Illinois/dining.do), but I don't know anything about it. All I know is that it doesn't look or sound near as cool as The Big Bar. :(:

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Trader Vic's, but from what I understand, it closed several months ago.

EDIT: There's The Big Downtown (http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/CHIPHHH-The-Palmer-House-Hilton-Illinois/dining.do), but I don't know anything about it. All I know is that it doesn't look or sound near as cool as The Big Bar. :(:

I believe Trade Vic's closed a little over a year ago.

Isn't the Big Downtown closing as part of the Palmer House renovations? I heard a story about this but can't seem to find any info online about it. Parking for the Palmer House is currently located across Wabash at 55 E. Monroe. The top 10 floors or so of that building are being converted to condos and the building management is claiming the Palmer House parking spots for the soon-to-be condo residents. Supposedly, the underground levels of the Palmer House (where Trader Vic's was located) will be converted to parking and the Big Downtown is where the Wabash entrance will be.

Anyone else hear this? Anyone have a timetable?

ewokpelts
01-05-2007, 09:57 AM

Isn't the Big Downtown closing as part of the Palmer House renovations? I heard a story about this but can't seem to find any info online about it. Parking for the Palmer House is currently located across Wabash at 55 E. Monroe. The top 10 floors or so of that building are being converted to condos and the building management is claiming the Palmer House parking spots for the soon-to-be condo residents. Supposedly, the underground levels of the Palmer House (where Trader Vic's was located) will be converted to parking and the Big Downtown is where the Wabash entrance will be.

Anyone else hear this? Anyone have a timetable?so...it's now SMALLER? gee...great move jerry.....

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 10:38 AM
so...it's now SMALLER? gee...great move jerry.....

The Palmer House itself won't change in size. The underground levels and first floor aren't really part of the Palmer House but are rather shops, restaurants, etc. The number of bedrooms, conference rooms, etc. in the hotel proper will not be changing.

HITMEN OF 77
01-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Last year was simply a mess. Its wasn't even organized chaos. The crowds were twice as big as 2004 and back....

dickallen15
01-06-2007, 10:49 AM
If anyone is looking for a hotel room for the weekend, if you go to priceline, and bid $57 on a 4 star hotel in the NMA zone, you should land the Hyatt.

Cellview22
01-06-2007, 09:34 PM
What day did you get the Hyatt for $57?

I tried $57 for NMA for Friday the 26th, and got a "try again". First I tried $50 w/ no luck, so on the second bid I went for $57 and included Midway area since Midway has no 4 star priceline hotels (according to biddingfortravel), and still no luck. I might try again tomorrow. I'd really like a downtown hotel for Friday night.

dickallen15
01-07-2007, 03:11 PM
What day did you get the Hyatt for $57?

I tried $57 for NMA for Friday the 26th, and got a "try again". First I tried $50 w/ no luck, so on the second bid I went for $57 and included Midway area since Midway has no 4 star priceline hotels (according to biddingfortravel), and still no luck. I might try again tomorrow. I'd really like a downtown hotel for Friday night.

My brother got it, so I don't know if priceline ran out of inventory or what, but it was for Fri-Sun. Someone else bid $69 for the dates and got the Westin. Not really too close to the Palmer House, but on Michigan Ave and a couple of blocks to the Red line for a 5 minute ride to the Palmer House.

Palehose13
01-07-2007, 06:41 PM

For those who got the hotel package with the Sox and then bought SoxFest tickets separately, when do we get the SoxFest tickets? Are they sending them to our home or do we get them at the hotel?

goclippersgo
01-07-2007, 07:53 PM
a good site to find a good deal is biddingfortravel.com. People post what prices they got on priceline, it gives you a good starting point, and it is surprising how great some deals are.

FARMEO
01-07-2007, 08:04 PM

Anyone else hear this? Anyone have a timetable?

This will happen, but the Big Down Town is not closing until June. Exchequer, 226 S. Wabash Avenue which is just down the street has an entire wall dedicated to the 05 World Series. Looking at that display always makes drinking a pint more enjoyable.

ChiSoxGirl
01-07-2007, 10:04 PM
For those who got the hotel package with the Sox and then bought SoxFest tickets separately, when do we get the SoxFest tickets? Are they sending them to our home or do we get them at the hotel?

If you're referring to the weekend passes that were made available to those of us who booked the hotel, the guy that I talked to told me the tickets will be waiting for us when we check-in.

Palehose13
01-07-2007, 10:08 PM
If you're referring to the weekend passes that were made available to those of us who booked the hotel, the guy that I talked to told me the tickets will be waiting for us when we check-in.

Yes. Thank you. :smile:

Viva Medias B's
01-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Even if you fail to get SoxFest tickets (which may be my fate today), you may still be able to stay at the Palmer House Hilton for $99.00 per night plus tax the weekend of SoxFest 2007 (provided there is still availability if and when you try). This morning, I called 1-800-HILTONS and got the SCORE RADIO rate of $99.00 plux tax on Saturday, 1/27. Hilton had been running ads on the Score advertising this.

Of course, this Score Radio rate DOES NOT INCLUDE SoxFest tickets. I'll be at the hotel that nite whether I get SoxFest tix or not. At least, then, I'll be able to partake in the real fun of SoxFest (the atrium bar gathering, or its Palmer House equivalent in this case).