PDA

View Full Version : Sleazak tries to be Moronotti

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-02-2007, 08:14 AM
She must have found an article of Jay's he deemed not worthy, and signed her name to it.

Where do these people come up with this? Aren't the Bears enough to write about right now?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/slezak/193994,CST-SPT-carol02.article

The Dude
01-02-2007, 08:36 AM
:o:*** waits for FWC to read the subtitle! ***:o:

itsnotrequired
01-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Egads...

Palehose Pete
01-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Oh, Carol...

Isn't there another angle of how the BCS is messed up or whether Favre will stay or go? How about the Bears? Seems that they're pretty news-worthy these days...

Terrible, this article.

UserNameBlank
01-02-2007, 09:35 AM
How convenient that the dumb bitch compares KW to Beane yet fails to mention the best part: had the A's given truckloads of money to Hudson and Mulder they wouldn't have as good of a rotation or bullpen AND they would have had to trade guys like Zito and Chavez to make up for terrible contracts.

Jesus Carol, who took a dump in your mashed potatoes?

tebman
01-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah, whatever. :rolleyes:

I wonder if she actually talked to Williams to ask him the questions she rhetorically asks in her insightful essay. I doubt it.

If she wants to just hammer out several paragraphs of tongue-clucking, she should join a message board. That's what we do here, but the differences are that we don't get published, nobody pays us for it, and there's somebody to argue with us when we write something unsupportable.

Come on over, Carol! We'll be happy to explain to you why you're wrong. :tongue:

delben91
01-02-2007, 09:49 AM
How convenient that the dumb b**** compares KW to Beane yet fails to mention the best part: had the A's given truckloads of money to Hudson and Mulder they wouldn't have as good of a rotation or bullpen AND they would have had to trade guys like Zito and Chavez to make up for terrible contracts.

Jesus Carol, who took a dump in your mashed potatoes?

Might want to edit the first sentence there, evading the language filter is not a good idea. Just type the word, the stars take care of themselves.

As for the article, I read the first paragraph and gave up on it. It's too nice a day to let something piss me off.

INSox56
01-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Yeah, 102 million spent last year on salaries is REALLY a Beane-like 62. What a dumb **** article.

infohawk
01-02-2007, 10:20 AM
The underlying problem with Slezak, Marrioti, etc. is that they think they know more about the game of baseball then they really do. Slezak's column shows her to be a rank sentimentalist focused on names and what someone has done rather than a true analysis of potential future performance and cost. In other words, value. She complains about Beane dumping Hudson and Mulder. Beane's philosophy on those moves was sound. It's better to trade a starter a year early than a year late. Mulder's in decline. I don't know how Hudson did last year, but I don't remember hearing much about him. Meanwhile, Beane's team at least made the playoffs due in part to the pitching changes he made.

One more thing. KW has said on more than one occasion that he ordered a study of how the Braves run their baseball operation that now serves as a model for the Sox. Amidst all of the garbage analysis being spewed out by Chicago sports journalists about the moves KW has made, I have still yet to see so much as one article that explores in any depth what KW learned from studying the Braves and how that might be effecting how the Sox are doing business. Not one. This is particularly interesting because KW mentioned the decision to model the baseball operation of the Braves prior to the 2005 World Series season.

Note to Chicago sports media: Do a little research and write that story! It would be far more interesting than any of the sentimental junk you've foisted on us to date.

wdelaney72
01-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Roadhouse or WTS?

CaptainBallz
01-02-2007, 10:34 AM
You ever get the feeling that these people write this nonsense explicitly to piss us off?

I dig this:
If either Reinsdorf or Williams thinks the Sox can win another World Series with a strategy of unloading pitchers to avoid paying them, they ought to take another look at Beane's record in Oakland. Yep, he has done a lot with a little. But how many championships have the A's won under Beane? Zero.

...And how many championships have the Sox won under Williams?

So how about we give the guy a bit more credit than calling him some wannabe FOBB that doesn't have a clue how to win chamionships...

2007= Same ol ****..

spiffie
01-02-2007, 11:42 AM
In a market where slightly above-average pitching costs 11 million a year, and #1 pitchers will likely top the $20 million a year mark next offseason when Zambrano hits the market, I find it hard to understand anyone complaining about Kenny Williams loading up the system with incredibly high-ceiling prospects. Danks has #1 potential, Gio and Floyd have #2 ceilings I would say, and the rest all project to be good-very good major league starters. And considering that there's no reason to believe that Vazquez/Floyd (or Haeger or Danks) couldn't put up numbers as good as Garcia/McCarthy would have put up in their two rotation spots I don't see how we've done anything to harm this year.

We have a team built to win 95+ games this year, and a rotation that could be like the Braves or the 1971 Orioles in years to come if/when all these power arms come to fruition.

southside rocks
01-02-2007, 11:49 AM
The underlying problem with Slezak, Marrioti, etc. is that they think they know more about the game of baseball then they really do. Slezak's column shows her to be a rank sentimentalist focused on names and what someone has done rather than a true analysis of potential future performance and cost. In other words, value. She complains about Beane dumping Hudson and Mulder. Beane's philosophy on those moves was sound. It's better to trade a starter a year early than a year late. Mulder's in decline. I don't know how Hudson did last year, but I don't remember hearing much about him. Meanwhile, Beane's team at least made the playoffs due in part to the pitching changes he made.

One more thing. KW has said on more than one occasion that he ordered a study of how the Braves run their baseball operation that now serves as a model for the Sox. Amidst all of the garbage analysis being spewed out by Chicago sports journalists about the moves KW has made, I have still yet to see so much as one article that explores in any depth what KW learned from studying the Braves and how that might be effecting how the Sox are doing business. Not one. This is particularly interesting because KW mentioned the decision to model the baseball operation of the Braves prior to the 2005 World Series season.

Note to Chicago sports media: Do a little research and write that story! It would be far more interesting than any of the sentimental junk you've foisted on us to date.

Good post. Pretty much what I found myself thinking as I read the idiocy in Slezak's column this morning. She does no analysis whatsoever, just throws in her reactions and emotions. Oh, and isn't she a sage, to know about "Moneyball." :rolleyes:

And yes, it did occur to me that she's taken a page from the Windsock's book. Ugh. Apparently idiotic buffoonery is contagious.

PaulDrake
01-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm older than most here, and have mentioned growing up and reading what I considered sports journalist "giants" as a kid and young man in Chicago. I will never compare Carol Slezak to Edgar Munzel, Jerome Holtzman, John Carmichael, Jack Griffin or a few others I could mention. Slezak has shown a tendency towards sappy offerings, and to me at least her Cubbie love is never far from the surface. That being said I can't and won't approach this with the same ferocity most of us seem to have. I think she overstates her case a tad. She writes:

"Williams has spent most of the offseason stockpiling young, cheap pitchers. I don't know if the newest Sox pitchers -- David Aardsma, Andrew Sisco, Gavin Floyd, Gio Gonzalez and the Rangers trio -- will turn into quality major-leaguers, but I know the odds are against all of them succeeding."

I at least, have some hope for Aardsma, and Gio. Nevertheless, and you can flame all you want, I don't blame her for the underlying concern she states in her article. I pretty much feel the same way.

kittle42
01-02-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't blame her for the underlying concern she states in her article. I pretty much feel the same way.

I think that's a banable offense. :cool:

itsnotrequired
01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Roadhouse or WTS?

Looks like WTS wins.

If Carol would have patted herself on the back in the first and last paragraph ala Mariotti, then I would guess Roadhouse.:D:

SABRSox
01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah, the Beane comparison is merely cosmetic. I think if you asked any GM, they'd all say they'd prefer young, cheap, and talented to old, expensive, and decent.

If she really wanted to compare KW to someone, John Schuerholz would be the most logical place to start.

thomas35forever
01-02-2007, 01:55 PM
She seems to forget what KW did in the '05 offseason. We didn't like some of the moves he made then. We were only concentrated on who he got rid of and not who we gained. Didn't all those moves lead to something? Oh yeah, it was a World Series title.

caulfield12
01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
She must have found an article of Jay's he deemed not worthy, and signed her name to it.

Where do these people come up with this? Aren't the Bears enough to write about right now?

I would guess the White Sox were in the Top 3 of all MLB teams in terms of paying their starting rotation tons of money.

They didn't get enough of a return on that investment last season IMO.

Garcia is not suddenly a "bargain" at $10 million, it's that Lilly or Marquis are insanely stupid contracts.

Where was she last year when we extended Contreras and Garland? Probably saying that those extensions were unnecessary risks to the future payroll flexibility of the team?

chisoxmike
01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Sleazak is worse than Jay in my opinion. She is constantly ripping the Sox and praising everything Cubs. I remember February 2004 she wrote "We interupt 2004 Spring Training and will fast forward to the Yankees/Cubs World Series." She then did a game by game detail on how each game would play out and how the Cubs would win game 7.:rolleyes:

pudge
01-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Sleazak is worse than Jay in my opinion. She is constantly ripping the Sox and praising everything Cubs. I remember February 2004 she wrote "We interupt 2004 Spring Training and will fast forward to the Yankees/Cubs World Series." She then did a game by game detail on how each game would play out and how the Cubs would win game 7.:rolleyes:

I've been say it for 10 years, Slezak is the worst. Did you like the part where she says, "Beane-er, I mean Williams" ... that is like 5th-grade humor. Plus, she writes on old topics and she writes obvious statements that everyone already knows. Give us a unique angle, give us something worthy of print in a major newspaper.

Save McCuddy's
01-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Looks like WTS wins.

If Carol would have patted herself on the back in the first and last paragraph ala Mariotti, then I would guess Roadhouse.:D:

Slezak is so consistently awful, she ought to have automatic cover charge and hand stamp at the RS.

Please, there had to be a Michele Wie sexist angle or some such filler to keep her away from what she just doesn't understand.

bryPt
01-03-2007, 01:04 PM

you mean this gem:

http://www.newslibrary.com/graphic/spacer.gifFrom fall guys to Fall Classic
Click here for complete article (http://nl.newsbank.com/nojavascript.html)
Author: Carol Slezak
Date: February 19, 2004
Publication: Chicago Sun-Times
Page: 124
Word Count: 705
Excerpt:
We interrupt the start of spring training to look ahead to fall, when the Cubs and New York Yankees meet in the World Series. No kidding.

Sure, there's lots of baseball to be played before then. But even before Greg Maddux came home, the Cubs were the consensus pick to represent the National League in the World Series. As for the Yankees, even before they got Alex Rodriguez, they were going back this season. The Constitution mandates that they represent the American League...

I didn't want to pay for the entire article.

chisoxmike
01-03-2007, 02:11 PM
you mean this gem:

http://www.newslibrary.com/graphic/spacer.gifFrom fall guys to Fall Classic
Click here for complete article (http://nl.newsbank.com/nojavascript.html)
Author: Carol Slezak
Date: February 19, 2004
Publication: Chicago Sun-Times
Page: 124
Word Count: 705
Excerpt:
We interrupt the start of spring training to look ahead to fall, when the Cubs and New York Yankees meet in the World Series. No kidding.

Sure, there's lots of baseball to be played before then. But even before Greg Maddux came home, the Cubs were the consensus pick to represent the National League in the World Series. As for the Yankees, even before they got Alex Rodriguez, they were going back this season. The Constitution mandates that they represent the American League...

I didn't want to pay for the entire article.

That's the one.

TDog
01-04-2007, 07:00 AM
I understand that many Sox fans feel this way. This certainly isn't the route the Cubs are taking, so I understand how many Sox fans can view this as a winter of discontent while visions of glory dance in the heads of the Cubs faithful. Really, what difference does it make to the fans what the team is paying players?

That was a rhetorical question.

The truth is, as the White Sox showed in 2005 and again in 2006, you don't win with people based on what they've done in the past but what they are doing now. Unfortunately, players are paid according to how they have performed in the past. Overpaid players not only hurt a team with their performance, but by decreasing their team's flexibility. To win you have to stay ahead of the curve. Adding Greg Maddux didn't help the Cubs go to the World Series because the apex of the Wood-Prior curve was behind them in 2004.

Before the 2005 season, my supervisor was a Cubs fan. He asked me how I felt about the Sox trading Lee for Podsednik. I told him it wasn't happening with Lee, so it was worth a shot. This off-season has not been unlike the one leading up to 2005. I just hope the Sox know their old personnel well enough and have scouted their new personnel well enough to keep ahead of the curve.

vegyrex
01-08-2007, 01:37 PM
If either Reinsdorf or Williams thinks the Sox can win another World Series with a strategy of unloading pitchers to avoid paying them, they ought to take another look at Beane's record in Oakland. Yep, he has done a lot with a little. But how many championships have the A's won under Beane? Zero.

Oh Carol. How many times have the A's been to the post season? Since 2000 they've seen the post season 5 times. The Sox only two. I'd rather the Sox model themselves after the A's or the Twinkies than those big spending losers on the northside of town.

DrCrawdad
01-10-2007, 01:31 AM

Her name is Sleazehack.

caulfield12
01-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I thought that was opposing teams' strategy for stopping Shaquille O'Neal by sending him to the FT line constantly...

SOXSINCE'70
01-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Her name is Sleazehack.

Or Sleaze Hack.Either one will do.

gobears1987
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Can we just ****can or roadhouse anything written by Sleazak?

bryPt
01-25-2007, 01:21 PM
You think these moron writers write stupid crapola just for that one time out of a million that it ends up being correct so they can say they told us so for months?