PDA

View Full Version : Where is the faith???

SouthSideLove
01-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Like some of you, I have been less than thrilled with the offseason we have had here on the south side. Have we truly improved for 2007? I don't know. Many of you contend that Kenny Williams has sold us out, moved us towards a rebuilding state, or some other God forsaken reason (with explicatives to boot). I myself admit to my displeasure with the Garcia move, and especially with McCarthy. But I'll be the first to admit now that I was called out, and brought back to Earth.

Folks, none of us are general managers. We cannot possibly be aware of everything that KW has up his sleeve. But since taking over as GM, where has Kenny Williams brought this team? If anywhere it has been up not down. When he traded Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Scottie Pods, we were screaming for his head. But what did that deal bring us? A legitimate leadoff man, with tremendous speed, and a feared table setter (if only for one year). KW signed Konerko to a six year deal, when we were ALL SO SURE that Konerko was going to the Angels. And when he handed that trophy to Reinsdorf and Ozzie, we ALL had tears in our eyes.

The point is, whether the 2007 squad is good, bad, ugly, or champs, will it matter to those who are true Sox fans? You know, as well as I do, that a true Sox fan will still show up all season long, eating churros and having a Miller at the game. You know that when that first pitch comes flying out on opening day that you'll grin with a gleam in your eye, and a hope for the season ahead. And you know, despite all odds, the Sox will not slip back into obscurity...We're here to stay.

Where is the faith? Mine lays on 35th and Shields. Always has and always will. Where's your faith going to lay this season?

DumpJerry
01-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Take a deep breath, SSL. If you actually count the number of posters out of 7000+ on this site who are real freaked out by this offseason, you will realize that 99%+ of us are cool with the offseason.

jabrch
01-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Take a deep breath, SSL. If you actually count the number of posters out of 7000+ on this site who are real freaked out by this offseason, you will realize that 99%+ of us are cool with the offseason.

Good point Dump. The vocal minority is bemoaning the terrible moves of KW. The majority still believe this team is a contender, and also believe that Kenny is not done yet.

AJ Hellraiser
01-02-2007, 12:27 AM
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!!... The other night a friend and I were thinking of Kenny's bad trades/signings since taking over and could only think of 2 (Todd Ritchie and David Wells)... though at the time, I liked the Wells move and Sirotka never wound up touching a baseball at the big league level again...

Kenny has done amazing things for this team and brought the franchise to new heights.. we will be competitive for years to come instead of just being a one-hit wonder...

On top of that, Kenny is a VERY SMART baseball man and he knows what he wants... he has put together a terrific scouting department and minor league development system... I trust that everything he does will work

thomas35forever
01-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Who said we were losing faith in Kenny? You're acting like we've pushed the panic button before pitchers and catchers have even reported. Don't jump to conclusions and look for Kenny to make a few more deals before Opening Day.

PaulDrake
01-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Take a deep breath, SSL. If you actually count the number of posters out of 7000+ on this site who are real freaked out by this offseason, you will realize that 99%+ of us are cool with the offseason. Then count me among the less than 1% or whatever. I am definitely not cool with the offseason. However, I'm not conceding the season, and despite my misgivings may turn out to be wrong about the young arms we got that do little or nothing to excite me at this time.

Juice16
01-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Then count me among the less than 1% or whatever. I am definitely not cool with the offseason. However, I'm not conceding the season, and despite my misgivings may turn out to be wrong about the young arms we got that do little or nothing to excite me at this time.

Count me as part of the 1% as well. I'm still not sipping the Kenny Cool Aid. Yes Kenny has made great deals to sweetin' his cool aid but also has made garbage trades as well. I do hope my gut is wrong.

itsnotrequired
01-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Count me as part of the 1% as well. I'm still not sipping the Kenny Cool Aid. Yes Kenny has made great deals to sweetin' his cool aid but also has made garbage trades as well. I do hope my gut is wrong.

Cite these "garbage trades" and offer evidence as to why you believe so.

soxtalker
01-02-2007, 10:26 AM

I don't think that's true. Now, I happen to be one of the fans who is pretty happy with what KW has done and the direction he's moving, but I don't think that is a majority opinion.

So I often don't agree with posters who either (a) complain about the moves KW has made this winter or (b) suggest that Kenny really doesn't mean it when he says that he's going with younger pitchers. But I have to say that I'm glad that there is some dissent. I still remember back to when we traded Koch to Florida. I took a look at a Marlins board, and the general sentiment among their fans was that their pitching coach would wave his magic wand and turn Koch back around. IIRC, that was within a year or two of them winning the WS, and they just believed that their GM and pitching coach could do no wrong. Well, it wasn't that simple for them, and I doubt that it is for KW, Ozzie, and Coop.

spiffie
01-02-2007, 10:38 AM
You know what? The OP is right!

So from now until Opening Day, I'm not going to say one negative thing about any current member of the White Sox organization. Four months of nothing but raving about Scott Podsednik's speed, Juan Uribe's power in the 9 hole, and Gavin Floyd's potential as a #5 starter.

Trying to be all objective about the Sox has made it so much less fun for me! The Four Months of Faith begin today! :bandance:

itsnotrequired
01-02-2007, 10:40 AM
You know what? The OP is right!

So from now until Opening Day, I'm not going to say one negative thing about any current member of the White Sox organization. Four months of nothing but raving about Scott Podsednik's speed, Juan Uribe's power in the 9 hole, and Gavin Floyd's potential as a #5 starter.

Trying to be all objective about the Sox has made it so much less fun for me! The Four Months of Faith begin today! :bandance:

Opening Day is only three months away.:tongue:

spiffie
01-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Opening Day is only three months away.:tongue:
Wonderful, but not nearly as alliterative. Besides, a team needs time to gel, so if for some reason the Sox start out of the gate slow, there's no reason to believe they won't heat up and get it righted, so I'll just refrain for those four months anyhow! :D:

ewokpelts
01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Where is the faith? Mine lays on 35th and Shields. Always has and always will. Where's your faith going to lay this season?
in texas for 3 minor leaguers

01-02-2007, 11:14 AM
We have

Pods- 2005 All star- had a rough year in 2006, but can easily get back on track

Iguchi- one of the most solid 2nd basemen in the AL

Thome- Going to hit his 500th this year, comeback player of the year, 2006 All Star

Konerko- The Rock, 2005 and 2006 All star

Dye- 2006 Allstar, best RF in the AL.

AJ- 2006 All Star, team leader

Crede- One of the best 3rd basemen in the game today, power and defense

4 starters in the rotation that have been All Stars and studs

All star closer in Jenks....Macdougal is a former All Star

Many, Many Many teams would love to have our team on opening day....and love to have our "problems"

DumpJerry
01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Then count me among the less than 1% or whatever. I am definitely not cool with the offseason. However, I'm not conceding the season, and despite my misgivings may turn out to be wrong about the young arms we got that do little or nothing to excite me at this time.

The core of the team is intact. The team is one of the elites in MLB. Kenny trades a pitcher with an unpredictable performance (Garcia) and a pitcher with potential but not much in the here and now (McCarthy) for three arms that can be described in the same manner and he's making garbage trades?

A review of who we still have should restore your faith: Konerko, Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Dye, Anderson, Pods, Ozuna, Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Thome, Jenks, MacDougal, Thornton, etc. This is a solid, World Series contending team!!!!!

EDIT: While writing this post, I see 1917 wrote a similar one. Great minds think alike!

ChicagoHoosier
01-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I have faith, and have not blasted KW on this site, but will remain cautious. While I loved his moves before the 05 and 06 off-season, these moves I can't say that I love at this time. However, do I trust him? Yes - he won a World Series. Do we still have question marks going into the season? Of course, every team does. But as DumpJerry and 1917 pointed out, we still have one of the time lineups in the league both at the plate and on the mound. Our bullpen could be great, could be average, but looks hopefully like an upgrade to last year.

And, we're still not forgetting the future. I look at the Yankees, the money they spend, always trying to win it all this year and look at what's happened the last several years. Hopes up and every year they fail in the playoffs.

I like this team for 07, not as much as last year's team going into the season, but also like what we're building for in 08 and beyond.

Shift
01-02-2007, 11:47 AM
"in texas for 3 minor leaguers"

I refuse to believe that you are serious.

cheezheadsoxfan
01-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Folks, none of us are general managers. We cannot possibly be aware of everything that KW has up his sleeve. But since taking over as GM, where has Kenny Williams brought this team? If anywhere it has been up not down. When he traded Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Scottie Pods, we were screaming for his head. But what did that deal bring us? A legitimate leadoff man, with tremendous speed, and a feared table setter (if only for one year). KW signed Konerko to a six year deal, when we were ALL SO SURE that Konerko was going to the Angels. And when he handed that trophy to Reinsdorf and Ozzie, we ALL had tears in our eyes.

The point is, whether the 2007 squad is good, bad, ugly, or champs, will it matter to those who are true Sox fans? You know, as well as I do, that a true Sox fan will still show up all season long, eating churros and having a Miller at the game. You know that when that first pitch comes flying out on opening day that you'll grin with a gleam in your eye, and a hope for the season ahead. And you know, despite all odds, the Sox will not slip back into obscurity...We're here to stay.

The Garcia deal didn't bother me much, the McCarthy deal caught me by surprise. I'm not nuts about it but I very much like your post and totally agree.