PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best player in baseball right now?

thomas35forever
01-01-2007, 10:13 PM
This should be an interesting topic to discuss. I'd have to go with Albert Pujols. He's proven himself and he's really risen to the occasion. I'd have to give Howard a few more years before considering him.

SABRSox
01-01-2007, 10:14 PM
It's Pujols by a mile. Alex Rodriguez would be much closer if he were still playing SS.

jabrch
01-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I'd actually go with Rodriguez. He didn't have as good of a year last year as Howard or Pujols, but in 2005 he had a .321/.421/.610 season and his career line is .305/.386/.573. For me, the best player in the game (assuming age, salary, etc. aren't being discussed) would be Alex Rodriguez. That said, you can't go wrong with either of the other two.

And SABR is right - I'd play him at SS. If I were Steinbrenner/Torre, Jeter would have been playing 2B.

tyski224
01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
It's Pujols for sure. Maybe Ryan Howard in a couple of years.

23Ventura
01-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I think I'd take A-rod over Pujols, but you really can't go wrong with either one. And like others have stated, Ryan Howard is pretty good too.

SABRSox
01-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I'd actually go with Rodriguez. He didn't have as good of a year last year as Howard or Pujols, but in 2005 he had a .321/.421/.610 season and his career line is .305/.386/.573. For me, the best player in the game (assuming age, salary, etc. aren't being discussed) would be Alex Rodriguez.

And SABR is right - I'd play him at SS. If I were Steinbrenner/Torre, Jeter would have been playing 2B.

The only issue with Rodriguez is that he's not as consistent as Pujols is. After rethinking it, if you are considering Rodriguez as a SS, it's 1a and 1b between Pujols and him. If he's a 3B, he's a clear number two. I also think that in a team where Rodriguez is the featured offensive presence, he's a better player. He seems to just "blend in" with the Yankees lineup that isn't built around him.

jabrch
01-01-2007, 10:36 PM
The only issue with Rodriguez is that he's not as consistent as Pujols is. After rethinking it, if you are considering Rodriguez as a SS, it's 1a and 1b between Pujols and him. If he's a 3B, he's a clear number two. I also think that in a team where Rodriguez is the featured offensive presence, he's a better player. He seems to just "blend in" with the Yankees lineup that isn't built around him.

You could make a very convincing arguement either way. Last year, Pujols had a much better year despite a few weeks on the shelf with a back (or was it abdominal?) problem. You could easily convince me I am wrong - but I look at what Alex has now done for 11 years and can't help but put that guy (again - at SS) as the #1.

SABRSox
01-01-2007, 10:38 PM
You could make a very convincing arguement either way. Last year, Pujols had a much better year despite a few weeks on the shelf with a back (or was it abdominal?) problem. You could easily convince me I am wrong - but I look at what Alex has now done for 11 years and can't help but put that guy (again - at SS) as the #1.

Well, I'll give you this; when I think of Pujols, I think of guys like Ted Williams. When I think of Rodriguez, I don't think of anyone else, because the guy is in a class of his own. When he's playing shortstop...

FedEx227
01-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Brandon McCarthy

I'd go with Albert Pujols for now, but Ryan Howard is making quite a case.

jabrch
01-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Well, I'll give you this; when I think of Pujols, I think of guys like Ted Williams. When I think of Rodriguez, I don't think of anyone else, because the guy is in a class of his own. When he's playing shortstop...

to nitpick - Williams was an OF, not a 1B.

but you are right - there is not a single SS in the history of the game who put up numbers anywhere close to the numbers that Rodriguez posted, while playing GG SS.

FedEx227
01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
But Derek Jeter being the leader that he is, decided that A-Rod should rot at 3B instead of letting the leagues best SS retain his position and instead himself moving the position that many baseball experts think he would truly excel at.

God that man is wonderful

Domeshot17
01-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Right now Its Pujols, but because Arod is coming out of his Prime, and Pujols is entering his.

HOWEVER, with some of the rumors Connecting Pujols and his trainers to HGH (I know its just speculation) I think Arod. Both are great. Both hit and field very well. Arod has more speed, Pujols a better average.

Howard is a great hitter, but he will never be the best player, because he is just an average fielder and not much with speed.

fquaye149
01-02-2007, 12:23 AM
to nitpick - Williams was an OF, not a 1B.

but you are right - there is not a single SS in the history of the game who put up numbers anywhere close to the numbers that Rodriguez posted, while playing GG SS.

There was this dude...Honus Wagner.......

Nevertheless---A-Rod would be the no-brainer at SS, playing among the best in the league...however, at 3B playing mediocre (at best) you ought to give the nod to Pujols

Trav
01-02-2007, 12:31 AM
When talking overall baseball player, the first thing I think of is defense. And when I think important positions I think up the middle, CF or SS or C and then maybe even a pitcher if he is head and shoulders above all the rest. So then I would pick between the best offensive guys who plays a solid defense at the important positions. Pujols (who I like) doesn't fit that catagory despite the fact he just might be the best hitter ever to play the game when it is all said and done. Rodriguez fit into that catagory when he was playing SS but since he isn't playing that position anymore.... I'd give it to Santana even though it is unpopular to give a pitcher an award that usually belongs to position players.

bestplayernbb
01-02-2007, 01:00 AM
It's between Pujols and A-rod, but right now I"ll give the edge to Pujols. If
A-rod wants to be/remain the best player in the game he's going to have to mentally toughen up in NY or accept a trade elsewhere, jmo.

QCIASOXFAN
01-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Scott Podsednik.

OK seriously, either Pujols or Santana.

downstairs
01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Well, how about this question to help settle it: what would happen if you put Pujols at third on the Yankees?

I gotta believe he'd do better than A-Rod. It would be a stupid move for anyone to put either of the two at 3rd.... but for comparisons sake...

Therefore: Pujols.

PennStater98r
01-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Johan Santana

soxinem1
01-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Aaron Rowand!!!!

Even at 3B A-Rod has been a powerhouse. Taking nothing from Pujols, who is probably the best HITTER in MLB, Alex has played more physically demanding positions than Pujols, who was quite inadequate at 3B, LF, and C.

Now that he's bigger than when he first came up, he's pretty much limited to 1B and DH in inter-league games.

So I have to go with A-Rod, all around.

rdwj
01-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Even at 3B A-Rod has been a powerhouse. Taking nothing from Pujols, who is probably the best HITTER in MLB, Alex has played more physically demanding positions than Pujols, who was quite inadequate at 3B, LF, and C.

Now that he's bigger than when he first came up, he's pretty much limited to 1B and DH in inter-league games.

So I have to go with A-Rod, all around.

Yep - agree 100%.

fquaye149
01-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, how about this question to help settle it: what would happen if you put Pujols at third on the Yankees?

I gotta believe he'd do better than A-Rod. It would be a stupid move for anyone to put either of the two at 3rd.... but for comparisons sake...

are you serious?

jabrch
01-02-2007, 04:43 PM
There was this dude...Honus Wagner.......

Nevertheless---A-Rod would be the no-brainer at SS, playing among the best in the league...however, at 3B playing mediocre (at best) you ought to give the nod to Pujols

Wouldn't you take Rodriguez over Wagner? Wagner wasn't a great defensive player (more an OF than an IF anyhow) and he had no power (different game back then).

23Ventura
01-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't you take Rodriguez over Wagner? Wagner wasn't a great defensive player (more an OF than an IF anyhow) and he had no power (different game back then).
I'd take A-rod. Wagner was good, but maybe a little past his prime. :D:

itsnotrequired
01-02-2007, 05:16 PM

It isn't really fair to compare Wagner's numbers to ARod's but it is fair to compare them with other players of their time period. Wagner led the league in SLG in 6 of his 19 full seasons. He was second in 3 other seasons. All told, he was in the top 8 in 15 of his 19 seasons. Seems like plenty of power to me. His .542 SLG in 1908 would rank 7th in the AL in 2005.

1908 was perhaps his finest hitting season and he led the league in AVE, OBP, SLG, OPS, hits, doubles, triples, total bases, RBIs and stolen bases. He was second in HRs with 10; the league leader had 12.

Compare these numbers with ARod's best season (2005?) as he ranks among his peers. It isn't even a contest here...

soxwon
01-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Jermaine Dye gets my vote.

SoxFanPrope
01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Ichiro.

fquaye149
01-02-2007, 06:14 PM

Wagner played with a ****ing mitten on his hand in a rock filled infield and had to hit a dead ball

JB98
01-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Ted Lilly

Daver
01-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Comparing players from different era's is impossible, but I beleive Ted Williams would dominate todays game the same way he did in the forties and fifties. Even in his last few years he could pick apart a pitcher and tell exactly what his strengths and weaknesses were , and how to use it to an advantage.

Palehose13
01-02-2007, 06:39 PM

No way.

DSpivack
01-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Pujols I'd give the hitting nod over A-Rod, though only very slightly. Neither of them is spectacular defensively, so not a big difference there. I'd pick Pujols.

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 08:04 AM
This should be an interesting topic to discuss. I'd have to go with Albert Pujols. He's proven himself and he's really risen to the occasion. I'd have to give Howard a few more years before considering him.

I would have to go with A-Rod (at SS) because his offense is clearly superior vis a vis other players at that position over the decade, especially Nomar/Tejada/Jeter, his other contemporaries.

Two years ago, I might have said Vladimir Guerrero, but he's suffered a couple of injury-plagued seasons and isn't QUITE the same player he was before.

Pujols and Howard are 1B, that goes against them a little IMO.

When he really wants to play and is motivated, Carlos Beltran is up there, Vernon Wells, but they've been terribly inconsistent the last 2-4 seasons.

spiffie
01-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Jermaine Dye gets my vote.
Seconded. Sure A-Rod and Pujols and Howard are excellent players, but I don't see how any Sox fan could not give JD his just due after what should have been his MVP season. He seems to be maturing into an absolute force at the plate, and I would not be surprised to see him make a run at the triple crown this year. I'm going to pen in JD for a 325/52/145 year, and I think I'm being conservative at that.

veeter
01-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Jermaine Dye gets my vote.Shhhhh. He's going to be tough enough to re-sign. But at this very moment in time....

it's Jermaine Dye.

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Seconded. Sure A-Rod and Pujols and Howard are excellent players, but I don't see how any Sox fan could not give JD his just due after what should have been his MVP season. He seems to be maturing into an absolute force at the plate, and I would not be surprised to see him make a run at the triple crown this year. I'm going to pen in JD for a 325/52/145 year, and I think I'm being conservative at that.

Until last year, Jermaine was more like Magglio.

Very good to great numbers, but definitely not in the superstar class. Not the type of player lots of fans paid to see, like Ichiro or Griffey or Frank Thomas in his prime.

He's lost some mobility and no longer has a "plus" arm, but he's a very good player. Unless he repeats second half 05 through 06 one more season, I'm not quite ready to put him in that "elite" category yet.

JohnTucker0814
01-03-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and name you 5 guys that I would start my team around before Pujols or Arod...

Jose Reyes
Johan Santana
David Wright
Carlos Beltran
Joe Mauer

There is too much emphasis put on power in this day and age. I can find someone to hit me 30+ homers with 100+ rbis (Konerko) to fill in at 1b instead of Pujols. Don't get me wrong, Pujols is amazing and he is hard to get out, but I'd rather have a lineup that consisted of Reyes, Beltran, Mauer & Wright.

fquaye149
01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and name you 5 guys that I would start my team around before Pujols or Arod...

Jose Reyes
Johan Santana
David Wright
Carlos Beltran
Joe Mauer

There is too much emphasis put on power in this day and age. I can find someone to hit me 30+ homers with 100+ rbis (Konerko) to fill in at 1b instead of Pujols. Don't get me wrong, Pujols is amazing and he is hard to get out, but I'd rather have a lineup that consisted of Reyes, Beltran, Mauer & Wright.

You seem to think all Pujols does is hit 30 HR and 100 RBI

Actually, what Pujols does is give you (162 game avg) 42 HR, 132 RBI, .332 BA, .419 OBP, 1.048 OPS, 130 runs scores, 6 SB, and only 68 K's.

And that's not what you can hope for if he has a great season. That's his 162 game average, including his rookie season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pujolal01.shtml
Similar batters through how old Pujols is?

Jimmie Foxx
Frank Robinson
Joe Dimaggio

Pujols ain't really replaceable. I get that he plays 1B, a position where you can find good #'s...but Ted Williams played left field....would you just as soon have, say Hideki Matsui as Ted Williams in his prime?

fquaye149
01-03-2007, 10:55 AM

JD in by far his best season did not match Pujols career average in any category (except: he had one more SB)

I love JD---a class act and great player, but I thought the point of this thread was to have a serious discussion.

letsgosox15
01-03-2007, 10:56 AM
best overall hitter = Albert Pujols

Best Clutch hitter = Michael Young

Best contact hitter = Ichiro

itsnotrequired
01-03-2007, 10:56 AM
You seem to think all Pujols does is hit 30 HR and 100 RBI

Actually, what Pujols does is give you (162 game avg) 42 HR, 132 RBI, .332 BA, .419 OBP, 1.048 OPS, 130 runs scores, 6 SB, and only 68 K's.

And that's not what you can hope for if he has a great season. That's his 162 game average, including his rookie season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pujolal01.shtml
Similar batters through how old Pujols is?

Jimmie Foxx
Frank Robinson
Joe Dimaggio

Pujols ain't really replaceable. I get that he plays 1B, a position where you can find good #'s...but Ted Williams played left field....would you just as soon have, say Hideki Matsui as Ted Williams in his prime?

Yeah but he's talking about replacing Pujols with FOUR players.:redneck

spiffie
01-03-2007, 11:37 AM
JD in by far his best season did not match Pujols career average in any category (except: he had one more SB)

I love JD---a class act and great player, but I thought the point of this thread was to have a serious discussion.
Oh I am serious...serious about THE WHITE SOX!

One other thing that's being neglected here is character. Pujols is being revealed as a complainer, like with the MVP voting. JD has been nothing but a class act. And if we learned anything from 2005 it is that you can have all the gaudy stats you want, but if there isn't that chemistry, if you don't have a team full of guys who will work hard and pick each other up and fight to the death, then it doesn't matter if you have 9 guys who hit 400/60/200 but don't work together, they will never be as good as that team full of hard working guys who care and play the game right.

That is why Kenny Williams isn't wasting big money on those sorts of guys. And if Kenny thinks that way, then I am certainly not going to disagree with him and nor should anyone else here.

fquaye149
01-03-2007, 12:02 PM

One other thing that's being neglected here is character. Pujols is being revealed as a complainer, like with the MVP voting. JD has been nothing but a class act. And if we learned anything from 2005 it is that you can have all the gaudy stats you want, but if there isn't that chemistry, if you don't have a team full of guys who will work hard and pick each other up and fight to the death, then it doesn't matter if you have 9 guys who hit 400/60/200 but don't work together, they will never be as good as that team full of hard working guys who care and play the game right.

That is why Kenny Williams isn't wasting big money on those sorts of guys. And if Kenny thinks that way, then I am certainly not going to disagree with him and nor should anyone else here.

Yeah it's true---the Cardinals will never win a world series with Pujols....

ps--Kenny's not wasting money on those guys because

a.) those guys are largely unavailable

b.) the money can be better spent

but this is not a question of "who's the biggest bargain in baseball". The title of the thread clearly asks "who's the best player in baseball." I don't see how a rational baseball fan can say JD's a better player than Pujols.

mjmcend
01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
He seems to be maturing into an absolute force at the plate, and I would not be surprised to see him make a run at the triple crown this year. I'm going to pen in JD for a 325/52/145 year, and I think I'm being conservative at that.

Wow, optimism abounds here.

I will pen him in for worse numbers than last year. Not bad numbers mind you, just no where near the rare air you are predicting.

soxinem1
01-03-2007, 12:11 PM
The thread title is best player. To me that means the guy who can effect the outcome of a game with hitting skills, running skills, and defensive skills.

Therefore, I vote A-Rod.

mjmcend
01-03-2007, 12:11 PM

Dirt eaters too right. We need more people who eat dirt by the shovel full.

JB98
01-03-2007, 02:16 PM
The thread title is best player. To me that means the guy who can effect the outcome of a game with hitting skills, running skills, and defensive skills.

Therefore, I vote A-Rod.

A-Rod's defensive skills are a strike against him at this point. To be fair, he is playing out of position, but he was brutal at third base last season.

fquaye149
01-03-2007, 02:34 PM
A-Rod's defensive skills are a strike against him at this point. To be fair, he is playing out of position, but he was brutal at third base last season.

He wasn't exactly "brutal". More like, below average.

But come on---playing 3rd is not his fault. He's the best SS in the game, give or take, and he's being played out of position because of his jackass teammate.

You couldn't fault Carlton Fisk for being played in LF

soxinem1
01-03-2007, 03:29 PM
He wasn't exactly "brutal". More like, below average.

But come on---playing 3rd is not his fault. He's the best SS in the game, give or take, and he's being played out of position because of his jackass teammate.

You couldn't fault Carlton Fisk for being played in LF

You couldn't have said that better, that was the analogy I was prepared to make.

All I know is I see a lot of guys at 3B and would take A-Rod at third over any of them.