PDA

View Full Version : The Juan Uribe Legal Problems Mega-Thread

WizardsofOzzie
01-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Per ESPN

According to a court order obtained by the AP, Uribe has been ordered to appear Jan. 2 before a judge in his home province of San Cristobal. According to AP, Uribe, who has denied any wrongdoing, did not respond to a request for comment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2714794

SouthSideLove
01-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Wasn't Uribe already acquitted?

drftnaway
01-01-2007, 06:17 PM
This sounds like a whole 'nother shooting!!!

palehozenychicty
01-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Let the A-Fraud rumors start again....

DumpJerry
01-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Wasn't Uribe already acquitted?
No. Charges were never filed.

ondafarm
01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
No. Charges were never filed.

Witnesses or all involved parties are frequently ordered to appear under Napoleonic code judicial systems. This is no new trouble.

soxfanreggie
01-01-2007, 08:54 PM
There any way we can send him down with a diplomatic envoy and body guards to make sure he comes back ok?

peelwonder
01-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Sorry if this has been posted but I did a search and it wasn't.

I'm flipping through the photos on Yahoo and it had a blurb that Uribe was considering sitting out 2007 after a judge ordered him to make court appearances twice monthly.

Madvora
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Sorry if this has been posted but I did a search and it wasn't.

I'm flipping through the photos on Yahoo and it had a blurb that Uribe was considering sitting out 2007 after a judge ordered him to make court appearances twice monthly.You're really going to have to provide a link after a statement like this. That's pretty big news if it's true.

peelwonder
01-05-2007, 02:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo;_ylt=Aoejpnz5hm4yIYux3u3nESwU0bYF?slug=4f248 040e6984bf1ba889a5a7fdfa798.dominican_uribe_sdo103&prov=ap

Madvora
01-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Wow. That is big news.
If this is going to happen, then I would assume it would have to be Cintron's job. As far as I know, there hasn't been any word about interest in any other SS out there.

- by the way, it looks like he's on his way to beat the crap out of the photographer in that photo.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070105/capt.4f248040e6984bf1ba889a5a7fdfa798.dominican_ur ibe_sdo103.jpg

Gammons Peter
01-05-2007, 02:30 PM
wow wow wee wa

tromcoe
01-05-2007, 02:31 PM
According to Yahoo.com Uribe may have to sit out the 2007 season due to a required twice monthly visit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo;_ylt=AiZ5QyAKxKKueuGMWuJaRLUU0bYF?slug=4f248 040e6984bf1ba889a5a7fdfa798.dominican_uribe_sdo103&prov=ap

Madvora
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Do we even have a minor league SS that could back up Cintron?

Hey - Josh Fields... get busy learning this position.

Gregory Pratt
01-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I doubt he sits out, but this is quite sad.
I'd almost like to shoot the farmer for pretending that he was shot. So he can say, "I was shot" with a straight face.

Madvora
01-05-2007, 02:44 PM
I doubt he sits out, but this is quite sad.
I'd almost like to shoot the farmer for pretending that he was shot. So he can say, "I was shot" with a straight face.
Well I think the guy was shot, you can't really get away with saying you were shot and not have any actual injury to your body. Eventually someone is going to check and see if you are hurt. The problem was that he said it was Uribe who did it, while Uribe says he's wasn't even around at the time.

thomas35forever
01-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Do we even have a minor league SS that could back up Cintron?

Hey - Josh Fields... get busy learning this position.
Is it easier for a third baseman to learn a SS position or vice versa?

Madvora
01-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Is it easier for a third baseman to learn a SS position or vice versa?
I would think SS is the more difficult position because of getting involved in the double plays. Each has it's own specialty though. 3rd basemen have to know a lot about covering for bunts too.

Domeshot17
01-05-2007, 02:49 PM
While I realllyyy wanted to see a new starting SS in Chicago this year (more then a new LF), this is not the circumstances I wanted it to happen under.

getonbckthr
01-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Can Ronnie Belliard play some short? How about Iguchi at SS with Belliard and Cintron sharing 2b. Arod, Tejada, Young? Other potential options one of the Northside's trifecta of SS Izturis, Cedeno or Theriot to split with Cintron? Wasn't Tampa considering moving Upton to open a spot in the IF? Maybe Upton for a AAA pitcher or 2?

eriqjaffe
01-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Do we even have a minor league SS that could back up Cintron?Jermaine Dye and Joe Crede have both played shortstop for the Sox!

Seriously, Pedro Lopez?

I don't think Iguchi is viable, he had some arm injury in Japan, which was why he was movied to 2B in the first place. Maybe in a pinch, but I don't see it happening.

Sox Fan 35
01-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Didn't Iguchi hurt his arm or something? I don't think he can play short.

Corlose 15
01-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Is Ozuna capable of playing Shortstop?

eriqjaffe
01-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Ozuna could, if he had to, but it probably wouldn't be all that pretty. He has a total of 18 games at short in his career, and none since 2005.

sox1970
01-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Cintron or Ozuna as an everyday shortstop:

NOOOOOO!!!!

caulfield12
01-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Valido is the best prospect and he went absolutely Liotta like (as in dead Good Fellas) in 2006.

Fields will never play SS in an MLB game, you can count on that much.

Iguchi can't play SS.

Ozuna might be given a chance, as he originally came up as a middle infielder, but I think he had some kind of arm or shoulder problem that moved him to more of a utility role.

Maybe we'll trade for Chone Figgins and have him play SS.

Madvora
01-05-2007, 03:11 PM
I like Cintron a lot and wouldn't mind him as the everyday guy, but we'd at least have to get a real SS behind him.
I'm not sure how Cintron would perform throughout the entire year as a starter, but I'd really like to have a big time SS that we can count on to be the anchor of the team for years.

caulfield12
01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
That would be crazy for him to give up that kind of money.

The DR is not the North Pole. It's a 3-4 hour plane ride. And we have Cintron backing him up.

I still have no idea why he would need to go back and forth 12-18 times in one season...has anyone ever heard of a case like this where he would be ordered by a judge for twice monthly appearances? Why? He can't have probation, there hasn't even been a trial.

Rey Ordonez or Kaz Matsui anyone? Christian Guzman, lol?

lakeviewsoxfan
01-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Looks like he is sporting his Ring.

I would be shocked if he is not in uniform this season. No way he passes up 5MM.

veeter
01-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Crede looked good in '05. But seriously, Pedro Lopez is a wizard defensively. He'd struggle at the plate though. I'm hopeful Juan will play.

Nick Altrock
01-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Why can't Uribe just pay off this dirt farmer scam artist and be done with it? :mad:

(By the way, I hope Juan made a New Year's resolution to shave off a few pounds. He looks too puffy in that photo.)

KyWhiSoxFan
01-05-2007, 03:54 PM
By making Uribe appear in court twice a month without having even been convicted of anything, it sounds like the judge wants to force Uribe's hand and just settle the thing out of court to get it off his docket. He knows spring training is coming up and Uribe can't possibly comply.

At worst, the Sox will step in and resolve it, even if it means having to pay off someone. I thought the guy only wanted $30,000, anyway.

AJ Hellraiser
01-05-2007, 04:01 PM
WOW... this is really interesting... first he shoots someone, then he doesn't after no fingerprints were found on the gun, then he has to appear in court and now he might miss the season....

This problem can't be fixed by our minor league system as our middle infield is the weakest part of our organization down on the farm....

Maybe, just maybe, KW's plan for a leadoff hitter never included an outfielder... maybe it includes a shortstop... I don't know who, but this just keeps getting more and more interesting...

If Uribe can't/won't play, I don't see KW going into spring training with Ozuna/Cintron as starting SS... if Ozzie felt they could play there every day he would have gone with them when Uribe was hovering in the .100's last season

kittle42
01-05-2007, 04:12 PM
(By the way, I hope Jose made a New Year's resolution to shave off a few pounds. He looks too puffy in that photo.)

Who's Jose?

Nick Altrock
01-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Who's Jose?

Oops. My bad. Must have been a Freudian slip. I've corrected it. May Jose Uribe RIP.

esbrechtel
01-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Who's Jose?

:rolling:

when i first heard mccarthy was delt to the rangers i thought it was for michael young for sure....so i was somewhat disappointed until i read further into it...however, i really think the sox need to do something about this fast...if cintron is our starting SS who is our utility player on the IF? my guess would be mackowiak and ozuna...if these two are IF who is our reserve OF (not that they were that good out there anyways but still)? Honestly Juan could have created a massive hole that needs to be addressed and i do not think the sox should just wait it out...

Iwritecode
01-05-2007, 04:23 PM
:rolling:

when i first heard mccarthy was delt to the rangers i thought it was for michael young for sure....so i was somewhat disappointed until i read further into it...however, i really think the sox need to do something about this fast...if cintron is our starting SS who is our utility player on the IF? my guess would be mackowiak and ozuna...if these two are IF who is our reserve OF (not that they were that good out there anyways but still)? Honestly Juan could have created a massive hole that needs to be addressed and i do not think the sox should just wait it out...

OR we could wait until we get something a little more official than a random blurb underneath a picture on Yahoo...

Hitmen77
01-05-2007, 04:26 PM
The Trib is now running the AP story on this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070105soxuribe,1,5148897.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

eriqjaffe
01-05-2007, 04:28 PM
He looks too puffy in that photo.Meh. Not much puffier than usual.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Looks like he is sporting his Ring.

I would be shocked if he is not in uniform this season. No way he passes up 5MM.

I'm thinking (hoping) that is the case as well though the White Sox are now reporting (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070105&content_id=1773823&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) / confirming Uribe may miss the season which is not a good sign.

Uribe says he may miss season

"I am going to decide if I am playing in the Major Leagues or not this year,'' Uribe said Friday. "It looks very ugly to be accused of something. But first I am going to resolve this and then I will go to the Major Leagues.''

The 27-year-old, due to make $4.15 million this year, said the case was likely to force him to miss the start of Spring Training, which is scheduled for mid-February.

rowand33
01-05-2007, 04:34 PM
My God...

I do not want a full year of Cintron...

And just imagine the shape Uribe will come back in after a year off...

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Is Ozuna capable of playing Shortstop?

Is he capable of playing any position?

WizardsofOzzie
01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
According to Yahoo.com Uribe may have to sit out the 2007 season due to a required twice monthly visit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo;_ylt=AiZ5QyAKxKKueuGMWuJaRLUU0bYF?slug=4f248 040e6984bf1ba889a5a7fdfa798.dominican_uribe_sdo103&prov=ap

This sucks :whiner:

soxinem1
01-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Rey Ordonez or Kaz Matsui anyone? Christian Guzman, lol?

Or Mike Caruso!!!!! Then again, why don't we just get Valentin back?

Mr. White Sox
01-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Losing Uribe would suck, as there's nobody in the minors who can step up and contribute as a starter at SS. I don't know who would be a solid replacement through trades as I haven't really thought enough about this yet, but it's a shame the Sox didn't try to sign Alex Gonzalez at the beginning of free agency. Of course they didn't know this would happen, so I'm talking out of my ass here.

Maybe someone like Orlando Cabrera through a trade?

eriqjaffe
01-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I predict 37 starts for at shortstop for Rob Mackowiak.

Not sure if I should put that in teal or not.

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Why do I get the feeling that this farmer will suddenly drop the charges as soon as he extorts some money out of Uribe.

Frater Perdurabo
01-05-2007, 05:07 PM
If the Sox really want to guarantee that Uribe will be back, they probably could just write a check to the judge and the alleged plaintiff. Bribery? Nah.

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Do the Angels still want Crede? Because Brandon Wood would probably fill in nicely at SS. Of course, we'd need another arm back in return.

Edit: Not likely after acquiring Shea Hillenbrand.

ondafarm
01-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Why do I get the feeling that this farmer will suddenly drop the charges as soon as he extorts some money out of Uribe.

That sounds like the likely outcome.

Lillian
01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
The only player that we have in the entire organization, who could be counted on to be an every day shortstop is Cintron, and that would not really be a very good option.

Would we have to pay Uribe? Is this treated the same way that an injury is?

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 05:19 PM
The only player that we have in the entire organization, who could be counted on to be an every day shortstop is Cintron, and that would not really be a very good option.

I think shooting somebody would be considered gross misconduct. Of course, if he's not found guilty, the Sox would probably end up on the hook for the contract. I have no idea though. You'd have to read his contract.

FedEx227
01-05-2007, 05:21 PM
No doubt about this. There hasn't been a credible part of this story yet.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-05-2007, 05:47 PM

If he does not show up for work, why would you have to pay him?

DoItForDanPasqua
01-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Juan Uribe is considering not playing this season.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070105soxuribe,1,5148897.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

lakeviewsoxfan
01-05-2007, 05:48 PM
The search function is your friend

WikdChiSoxFan
01-05-2007, 06:16 PM

Nice court attire Juan! Is that your posse?

ChiSoxLifer
01-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Time to crank up the A-Rod to the White Sox rumors.

Jerksticks
01-05-2007, 06:26 PM
I think shooting somebody would be considered gross misconduct. Of course, if he's not found guilty, the Sox would probably end up on the hook for the contract. I have no idea though. You'd have to read his contract.

oh are you referring to the shooting clause? goes before an arbitrator.

Beautox
01-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Do the Angels still want Crede? Because Brandon Wood would probably fill in nicely at SS. Of course, we'd need another arm back in return.

Edit: Not likely after acquiring Shea Hillenbrand.

I doubt we could get Wood from the angels, the kid hit 45HRs in the minors thats crazy! he and Kendrick are their future middle infield. But this does appear to make SS/2B Sean Rodriguez & SS Erick Aybar available maybe throw in LHP Phillips or LHP Logan and OF Reggie Willits becomes available since the angels have very little LHP depth. They just gave Brendan Donnelly away for AAAA Phil Seibel. Willits is a little old to wear the prospect tag(25), even though he has never repeated a lvl, and the angels outfield is very crowded hes not even a top 20 prospect in their system even though he led milb in OBP last year.

I'd love to see all them on the south side and Josh holding down the hot corner for '07.

S Reggie Willits LF
R Tadahito Iguchi 2B *
L Jim Thome DH
R Jermaine Dye RF
R Paul Konerko 1B
L A.J. Pierzynski C
S Erick Aybar SS *
R Brian Anderson CF
R Josh Fields 3B

I think during spring training Aybar and Iguchi could switch spots in the line up.

Also that would send Podsednik packing possibly to the Padres to replace that horrid platoon of Terrmel Sledge & Jose Cruz in LF. Cesar Carrillo + Kyle Blanks?

I'm all for bringing in ML ready talent(Fields/Aybar/Willits) and replacing two of our biggest holes last year with cheaper cost effective players that would have even better OBP and a push with defense. Willits has a very good glove and Aybar isn't on the lvl with Uribe, but he can at least be average if not above average. Crede > Fields, but at the same time i think Josh could be average at 3B next year.

Throw in Rodriguez & Carrillo & Blanks, and were setting our self up for the future

Lastly Shae is a butcher at 3B and was brought in because Kotchman and McPherason haven't lived up to the hype or have been riddled with injuries at 1B.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
whitesox.com now reporting the story.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070105&content_id=1773823&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

soltrain21
01-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Maybe Juan is a little bit deeper into this than we expected. It is only two days a month, Juan. There has to be more to this.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Nice court attire Juan! Is that your posse?

I believe it's called a "running crew".

FedEx227
01-05-2007, 07:36 PM
What people fail to realize is that the DR government doesn't want Juan out of the country which is why the twice a month visits will cost him the season. Do you really think they'd let him go to the U.S and "run away". What would make him come back to the DR? Nothing at all.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 07:49 PM
What people fail to realize is that the DR government doesn't want Juan out of the country which is why the twice a month visits will cost him the season. Do you really think they'd let him go to the U.S and "run away". What would make him come back to the DR? Nothing at all.

If he violates a court order, a warrant could be issued for his arrest. Sure, the US might not extradite him but he probably would be advised not to go back to the DR. You think he would give up his homeland to save some bucks on airline tickets?

Palehose13
01-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Time to crank up the A-Rod to the White Sox rumors.

Deep pink? :redneck

getonbckthr
01-05-2007, 07:54 PM
The only way you give up Crede is for someone like Arod no matter how many homers the kid hit in the minors.

Domeshot17
01-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Don't be foolish, if you can swing a package deal of Brandon Wood and Shields for Crede you do it in a second and don't think twice. Brandon Wood is the next Arod, just younger and 21 million a year cheaper

FedEx227
01-05-2007, 07:59 PM
If he violates a court order, a warrant could be issued for his arrest. Sure, the US might not extradite him but he probably would be advised not to go back to the DR. You think he would give up his homeland to save some bucks on airline tickets?

I think he would give up his homeland not to be framed in a crime, pay to shut people up and lose a season's pay and more than likely his career.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 08:12 PM
I think he would give up his homeland not to be framed in a crime, pay to shut people up and lose a season's pay and more than likely his career.

Then why even offer to sit out the season?

ChiSoxLifer
01-05-2007, 08:30 PM
What I don't get is why isn't the sailor pressing charges even though he was also shot?

Lip Man 1
01-05-2007, 08:40 PM
This reminds me of the Bobby Knight / Puerto Rican policeman incident during the 1979 Pan Am Games.

Much ado about nothing.

If I'm Uribe I'm getting on a plane heading to the U.S. and never going back. This is ludicrous.

And I thought the U.S. system of justice was screwed up.

So far it's been an "interesting" off season hasn't it?

Lip

FedEx227
01-05-2007, 08:43 PM
This reminds me of the Bobby Knight / Puerto Rican policeman incident during the 1979 Pan Am Games.

Much ado about nothing.

If I'm Uribe I'm getting on a plane heading to the U.S. and never going back. This is ludicrous.

And I thought the U.S. system of justice was screwed up.

So far it's been an "interesting" off season hasn't it?

Lip

Exactly what I'm saying. Screw his "homeland" he's being treated absolutely terrible and basically being framed by the accuser and the government. No thank you for me.

Corlose 15
01-05-2007, 08:51 PM
None of this makes any sense. The DA decides there isn't any evidence against him but the Judge decides to procede with the case? Isn't that a conflict of interest and out of the judge's juristiction so to speak? Also, they order him to come back twice a month but it doesn't seem like he's been charged with anything.

It sounds really screwey.

JermaineDye05
01-05-2007, 09:06 PM
dang well with Uribe possibly out that hurts our defense. So then what are our options for short? Pablo? Gonzalez? Fields? Valido? yikes hopefully Kenny can figure something out, I trust him.

ondafarm
01-05-2007, 09:24 PM

The motion to restrict Uribe from leaving the country was quashed.

Uribe has not been charged he is being forced to appear until the case has been closed.

ondafarm
01-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Then why even offer to sit out the season?

Because that forces the hand of the DR government. How much tax income do they lose from Uribe sitting out (and not getting his salary) and how much does this hurt the DR's reputation with MLB?

Everything will work out.

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I guess Uribe needs to pay off the judge too? :dunno:

This is certainly a screwy case in a screwy legal system.

ondafarm
01-05-2007, 09:29 PM
None of this makes any sense. The DA decides there isn't any evidence against him but the Judge decides to procede with the case? Isn't that a conflict of interest and out of the judge's juristiction so to speak? Also, they order him to come back twice a month but it doesn't seem like he's been charged with anything.

It sounds really screwey.

Napoleonic Code. A little different from ours don't you think!!?

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I guess Uribe needs to pay off the judge too? :dunno:

This is certainly a screwy case in a screwy legal system.

Or a par-for-the-course case in the DR.

russ99
01-05-2007, 10:17 PM
If Uribe can't play, I have every confidence in Cintron to be able to handle the job.

PeoriaSoxFan
01-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Kenny has responded to this situation by trading Jose Contreras..........for four minor league pitchers. All the pitchers have a losing record and an 8+ ERA, but throw in the mid to upper 90's. Coop will fix them all and thereby eliminate the need for a SS all together.

Actually I don't know why I even posted this attempt at a joke as I have come around to Kenny's way of thinking on his recent trades. At first, like most, I was shocked and utterly disgusted, but Kenny's logic is taking over my brain, or maybe it is the White Sox Kool-Aid I am drinking. My point on this topic is that it is hard to tell what Kenny might do in response to this situation. Everything he has done, to date this offseason, has been unexpected. Losing Uribe's defense would suck, but I don't see how the Sox can go into this season with this type of situation hanging over them. I could be overlooking something/someone here, but the Sox seem to be pretty big on character (no Tank Johnson's allowed). As such, I don't see them tolerating it. I like Cintron, but don't see him as an everyday player. If he had the arm that Uribe does, it might be different. I don't see anyone in the Sox minors or any realistic trades out there either (Omar Vizquel?). Let's hope this situation changes, but you have to wonder if Uribe's head is anywhere close to be screwed on straight.

01-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Kenny has responded to this situation by trading Jose Contreras..........for four minor league pitchers. All the pitchers have a losing record and an 8+ ERA, but throw in the mid to upper 90's. Coop will fix them all and thereby eliminate the need for a SS all together.

Oh that was good! :rolling::rolling:

mantis1212
01-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Because that forces the hand of the DR government. How much tax income do they lose from Uribe sitting out (and not getting his salary) and how much does this hurt the DR's reputation with MLB?

Very interesting take- does Juan really pay taxes to the Dominican Repubic? I guess so, if he goes back there every year.

I also have a good feeling Juan will be there Opening Day.

Beer Can Chicken
01-06-2007, 12:39 AM

Is this for real?

Beer Can Chicken
01-06-2007, 12:42 AM

Give up his homeland!? Pay people to shut up!? Are you ****ing serious? I'm sure that if you were in the same same situation you'd say **** the US! and sell out your friends and family.

ondafarm
01-06-2007, 01:02 AM

Given the same situation with the USA there is no way I would do that. I might complain about the USA legal system (actually, I do that fairly often anyways) but I'd never abandon my country.

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 04:21 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/200091,CST-SPT-sox06.article

Hey, we're back in the headlines again. You knew the Tribune was just WAITING to post Uribe pictures and articles to continue to reinforce the SouthSide "thuggery" reputation they continue to inculcate.

I've heard Quin Snyder was looking for a job. Maybe we can send him to represente Uribe, as he does have a law degree and MBA from Duke.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-06-2007, 07:44 AM
I have no doubt that Uribe will be playing MLB this coming season. The larger question is the character issue surrounding Uribe. Ozzie has been on him in the past for being lazy and indifferent, and this situation in the Dominican Republic raises even more questions about him, no matter what the outcome. How this affects his play is the biggest question. Will it make him bear down and concentrate on his career or will it distract him? With Uribe, I have no idea.

Frater Perdurabo
01-06-2007, 08:18 AM
The motion to restrict Uribe from leaving the country was quashed.

Uribe has not been charged he is being forced to appear until the case has been closed.

This part of the Tribune's (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070105soxuribe,1,7081660.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) story is quite interesting:

Uribe denied he was in the town of Juan Baron when the shooting occurred and a district attorney in November said he had no evidence to the contrary.

However, a judge decided to move forward with the case.

Onda, do you think it is possible that the judge is fishing for a bribe?

Rockabilly
01-06-2007, 09:10 AM
If Juan Uribe doesn't play next year..

Who do you think Kenny will go out and get..

I would like to see the Sox get Orlando Cabrera not to sure what the Angels would want in return..

fquaye149
01-06-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm pretty sure Cintron would be our starting SS and KW would go get a utility guy

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 10:03 AM
This part of the Tribune's (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070105soxuribe,1,7081660.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) story is quite interesting:

Onda, do you think it is possible that the judge is fishing for a bribe?

Can't we just get them to agree to take Mackowiak as their CF (Dominican Winter League team) and call it even?

AngryCollins
01-06-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm pretty sure Cintron would be our starting SS and KW would go get a utility guy

i don't think I like that.

alohafri
01-06-2007, 10:23 AM

I always thought that Wilkes had better range than Cintron.

jabrch
01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
What would Brandon Wood cost?

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Too much...Stoneman would have KW over a barrel. And I don't KW could afford to put two players like Wood and Anderson out there, along with the uncertainty surrounding Pods.

He would have to go for Cabrera IMO, but I doubt Uribe is going to miss the season. And Stoneman's not ready until 2008 for Wood or Aybar to start.

fquaye149
01-06-2007, 10:30 AM

I don't know if I do either, but I feel like it would beat overpaying for a starting SS from a position of desperation

jabrch
01-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Too much...Stoneman would have KW over a barrel. And I don't KW could afford to put two players like Wood and Anderson out there, along with the uncertainty surrounding Pods.

He would have to go for Cabrera IMO, but I doubt Uribe is going to miss the season. And Stoneman's not ready until 2008 for Wood or Aybar to start.

I should have put that in deep pink - I suppose. I disagree that we couldn't live with BA and Wood, but you are definitely right that Stoneman wouldn't bite. Maybe Aybar? I doubt they'd trade OC right now.

I'd revisit the Crede trade if there was a SS component.

tick53
01-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm betting on Cintron, unless KW wants to talk to the Yanks about A-Rod. That doesn't seem likely, but who knows:dunno: . I'm saying Alex will be there.

tstrike2000
01-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't know if I do either, but I feel like it would beat overpaying for a starting SS from a position of desperation

Just for clarity, are you saying that because you don't like the idea of Cintron being a full time SS or because it will be taking a good utility guy away?

Rockabilly
01-06-2007, 10:38 AM
What about a trade for Omar Vizquel

The Sox tried to sign him a few years ago and he is good friends with Ozzie

MeanFish
01-06-2007, 10:41 AM
If his fielding is as good as I'm told, my vote goes for Pedro Lopez. He seems to have hit the ball well at every level he's played at, which makes me wonder if he couldn't match Uribe's production as a rookie.

His K/BB numbers seem low compared to his at bats, and he doesn't seem to have much power though he clearly has enough to keep the outfield honest (see Harris, Willie for why this is imporant). He seems like a good contact hitter from what I can ascertain, though.

Of course, I've never seen him play, so I could also be totally wrong. Someone let me know if that's the case. :tongue:

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 11:03 AM
If his fielding is as good as I'm told, my vote goes for Pedro Lopez. He seems to have hit the ball well at every level he's played at, which makes me wonder if he couldn't match Uribe's production as a rookie.

His K/BB numbers seem low compared to his at bats, and he doesn't seem to have much power though he clearly has enough to keep the outfield honest (see Harris, Willie for why this is imporant). He seems like a good contact hitter from what I can ascertain, though.

Of course, I've never seen him play, so I could also be totally wrong. Someone let me know if that's the case. :tongue:

We're more likely to see Willie Harris or D'Angelo Jimenez at SS than Pedro Lopez.

It's not going to happen, not with the ?'s in LF and CF.

Willie Harris actually showed pop occasionally, he's more of a power hitter than Lopez. Heck, I might prefer Andy Gonzalez to Lopez.

Grzegorz
01-06-2007, 11:09 AM

Too much an he will not be an option for this year. Start Cintron and find a utility guy to back him up. Hopefully, that backup can play a little first base too.

The window for this team as it is currently constituted is closing. Trading vets for greenhorns, no matter their potential, does not help the Chicago White Sox this year.

Lets sit tight and see how this story unfolds. (not you KW; find a utility guy!)

Steelrod
01-06-2007, 11:12 AM
The real problem is not knowing whether Juan will be here, to replace or not!

soxinem1
01-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Judging from the picture on Yahoo, Uribe still looks the same as he did at the end of the season. IOW, he doesn't look very conditioned.

FedEx227
01-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Give up his homeland!? Pay people to shut up!? Are you ****ing serious? I'm sure that if you were in the same same situation you'd say **** the US! and sell out your friends and family.

If the legal system was completely screwing me blatantly I would not doubt leave the country. Why the hell should Uribe have undying nationalism when his state's legal system is doing whatever they can to get money out of him and exploit him.

whitesoxwilkes
01-06-2007, 11:32 AM

:bandance::bandance:

Hagan
01-06-2007, 12:40 PM

the world

The Dude
01-06-2007, 01:10 PM
If Juan Uribe doesn't play next year..

Who do you think Kenny will go out and get..

I would like to see the Sox get Orlando Cabrera not to sure what the Angels would want in return..

I think :thechoice is available.

On second thought, thank the higher power that he's being overpaid somewhere else!:tongue:

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 01:38 PM
There are plenty of frivolous/groundless lawsuits in the US and you don't see US citizens fleeing the country. It's not like the guy is Charles Manson or even Roman Polanski. Think about all the family Contreras had in Cuba, and imagine Uribe trying to also sneak his entire family out of the country....relatives, etc. And then you're making a big jump to reach the conclusion they actually want to leave the country and try to live in the US. Not everyone wants to live here, I spent 11 days in Europe and most would sooner stay where they are, believe me.

VenturaIsAGod
01-06-2007, 01:40 PM
My guess is the only guy we could that is considered a star woud be Tejada. And another guess is that about 80% of us don't want him.

01-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah, there might be some names in here that would be nice to have but why in the world would any of these teams unload their SS before the year and open a big hole on their lineup?

Not going to happen. If Uribe doesnt play next year, Cintron is the only option until closer to the trade deadline.

Question: If Uribe elects not to play than do we still have to pay him?

If that give us some money to play around with I am petitioning for the idea of signing SP - Mark Mulder for a 1 year incentive type deal. This way when he comes back sometime in June he is a great insurance to the #5 rotation guy. He is a local southside guy who grew up watching the Sox. Bring him home where he is comfortable and might have a shot to rebound.

Harry Potter
01-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Paco Martin - 2007 AL Comeback Player of the Year

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, there might be some names in here that would be nice to have but why in the world would any of these teams unload their SS before the year and open a big hole on their lineup?

Not going to happen. If Uribe doesnt play next year, Cintron is the only option until closer to the trade deadline.

Question: If Uribe elects not to play than do we still have to pay him?

If that give us some money to play around with I am petitioning for the idea of signing SP - Mark Mulder for a 1 year incentive type deal. This way when he comes back sometime in June he is a great insurance to the #5 rotation guy. He is a local southside guy who grew up watching the Sox. Bring him home where he is comfortable and might have a shot to rebound.

Ohka, Armas, Trachsel, Jerome Williams, Weaver are still out there.

What's the latest with the Mulder/Indians negotiations? Is Texas still interested? With two year deals on the table from both those teams and the Cardinals apparently interested in counter-offering, I think you can count KW out. I would have preferred Pineiro as an option here, personally.

kobo
01-06-2007, 02:23 PM
What is wrong with having Cintron be the everyday starter? Why does that bother people? His range is as good as Uribe's and Cintron is more disciplined at the plate. I don't see a downside here.

batmanZoSo
01-06-2007, 02:25 PM

Whitesoxwilkes? Thrillkes?

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 02:30 PM
What is wrong with having Cintron be the everyday starter? Why does that bother people? His range is as good as Uribe's and Cintron is more disciplined at the plate. I don't see a downside here.

Neither his range nor his arm are in the same zip code.

He's the Aaron Rowand of shortstops.

ondafarm
01-06-2007, 02:55 PM
So that the whole thing could wait till the next offseason.

What a concept.

fquaye149
01-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Just for clarity, are you saying that because you don't like the idea of Cintron being a full time SS or because it will be taking a good utility guy away?

both. I think Cintron is great in the utility role, but I think his average might suffer as an everyday player and because his defensive flaws might be exposed a lot more

I want Mags back
01-06-2007, 03:25 PM
So that the whole thing could wait till the next offseason.

What a concept.
makes perfect sense to me

dwalteroo
01-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Nice use of inculcate.

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Nice use of inculcate.

Thanks Whimperoo...err, walteroo.

Domeshot17
01-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I would think Uribe may want to get this taken care of personally. Imagine how off the guy would be with this hanging over his head for a season. He already is clueless at the plate and lazy at times in the field (especially with his throws), does he really need a distraction?

tstrike2000
01-06-2007, 06:41 PM
both. I think Cintron is great in the utility role, but I think his average might suffer as an everyday player and because his defensive flaws might be exposed a lot more

I agree. Like many have said, Cintron could probably start for a lot of teams. We'll see how he is if he has to play full time at SS.

lths06
01-06-2007, 06:46 PM
:hitless

"Hey guys, remember me?"

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 07:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2722658

batmanZoSo
01-06-2007, 07:22 PM
I agree. Like many have said, Cintron could probably start for a lot of teams. We'll see how he is if he has to play full time at SS.

He could start for a lot of ****ing ****ty ass teams, yeah.

WhiteSox5187
01-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I think Cintron would work out okay.

Didn't Ozuna play short a little last year?

Vernam
01-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Nice use of inculcate.:worship:

First-ever use of the word in WSI history, according to the search engine. There should be a prize for that!

I didn't tune in White Sox Weekly in time for the beginning this morning on WSCR. If anyone heard it, did Rongey have much to say about the Uribe mess?

Vernam

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 09:33 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070106sox,1,5558195.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"Uribe now certain he'll play" Quite a change from 24 hours ago...a lot of it is the problem in translations from Spanish to English.

Rockabilly
01-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Very simply, if it turns out he is in more trouble than we originally thought, decides not to report, or is distracted and can't play at a championship level, Alex will take his job," Williams said via e-mail Saturday night.

from whitesox.com

ondafarm
01-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I think Cintron would work out okay.

Didn't Ozuna play short a little last year?

Hey, we could put Mack in there as well.

itsnotrequired
01-07-2007, 10:11 AM
New article up on whitesox.com:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070106&content_id=1774323&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

But as of late Saturday night, Williams had tried to reach out to Uribe and had been unable to connect with him. One point where Williams left absolutely no doubt is the direction the White Sox would move if the Uribe legal issue remains murky.

"Very simply, if it turns out he is in more trouble than we originally thought, decides not to report, or is distracted and can't play at a championship level, Alex will take his job," Williams said via e-mail Saturday night.

WizardsofOzzie
01-07-2007, 10:45 AM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070106&content_id=1774323&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Yowza :o:

esbrechtel
01-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Hey, we could put Mack in there as well.
mack played alot of IF in pitts....his last year he played alot at 3B i bet he could play short just fine....no teal necessary

caulfield12
01-07-2007, 01:40 PM
mack played alot of IF in pitts....his last year he played alot at 3B i bet he could play short just fine....no teal necessary

I would MUCH rather have Ozuna at SS than Mackowiak, and I don't want to see EITHER one more than 1-2 games in 2007.

rdwj
01-07-2007, 01:44 PM

If you hated Mac in center, I'm SURE you'd want to kill him after watching him play SS. Honestly, he played a poor third at best when he did it last year. He's a versitle bench guy, but as a starter, in any position, he's a HUGE weakness.

Honestly, there is no reason to look past Cintron. He's obviously the best choice. He doesn't play D as well, but I think his bat is better than Juan's.

champagne030
01-07-2007, 01:47 PM

I bet he couldn't. I'd also bet he would be worse at SS than he was in CF and that is frightening.

champagne030
01-07-2007, 01:48 PM
If you hated Mac in center, I'm SURE you'd want to kill him after watching him play SS. Honestly, he played a poor third at best when he did it last year. He's a versitle bench guy, but as a starter, in any position, he's a HUGE weakness.

Honestly, there is no reason to look past Cintron. He's obviously the best choice. He doesn't play D as well, but I think his bat is better than Juan's.

You beat me to it. :D:

russ99
01-07-2007, 04:01 PM

Yo go, Kenny. That was the only proper response to this situation.

Uribe needs to be a man and take care of his problems, or the Sox will be forced to look elsewhere. This judge's requirement for Juan to go to court every 2 weeks would completely mess with his game, especially since his offensive game is super-streaky.

I'd expect Cintron to be the Sox' opening day SS unless something is resolved in the next month.

esbrechtel
01-07-2007, 04:08 PM

I never intended to say that Mack should be the starting short....what i meant is that cintron to start mack as a back up...

rdwj
01-07-2007, 04:19 PM
I never intended to say that Mack should be the starting short....what i meant is that cintron to start mack as a back up...

Still, Mack isn't even a servicable 3rd baseman. Do you really want to see him at the toughest defensive position in the game? I know I don't. I'd rather see Ozuna as a back up and that's still bad.

But honestly, I think all this is going to be moot by the start of ST. I fully expect Juan to be there.

btrain929
01-07-2007, 04:53 PM
at whitesox.com, KW was quoted as saying that if the problems with uribe arent settled in the near future, that Cintron would be the starting SS. i dont know how i feel about that. not saying cintron isnt good enough, but simply because i think he is way more valuable off the bench as it provides much needed depth for pinch hitting, as well as giving other players days off w/o downgrading the production, especially since gload is gone from our bench. does anyone think a trade is on the horizon for a servicable SS, or is cintron our man?? rookie andy gonzalez was also mentioned as a possibility for a utility man if cintron is the everyday SS.
before the whole shooting thing, i was all for upgrading at SS simply because we cannot deal with a .230 batting avg in our lineup, no matter how good the defense (even tho at times THAT even looked below par for his standards compared to '05). now with all this controversy, i would have to imagine that trade possibilities are floating around in KW's mind.
what to do, what to do. :?:

goon
01-07-2007, 05:06 PM
well, last year was certainly not a great season for juan, especially hitting for average. in 2004 he hit .283, in 2005 he hit .252, career average of .258, he is better than what he showed last year

defensively they are close. uribe has a better arm and covers as much ground. also, uribe has pop, which makes up for any slight difference of cintron being a better hitter. i would be content with cintron as our starting SS next year, but i like juan over him.

AJ Hellraiser
01-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I like Cintron a lot... as a reserve/utility infielder... I don't think he can handle the everyday SS responsibilities...

I vaguely remember Ozzie saying the same thing last season when people were questioning if he would begin using Cintron more than Uribe during Juan's struggles... If Ozzie honestly feels that way, I don't want Cintron starting regardless of what KW feels... the manager should know his players' limits better than the GM

chisoxmike
01-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Our bench depends of Cintron coming off it. It is not as good with Cintron starting.

btrain929
01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Our bench depends of Cintron coming off it. It is not as good with Cintron starting.

bingo. thats why i wouldnt mind seeing a trade for a middle of the road SS with a above avg glove, .275 avg, some speed, etc. as long as we dont have to give up much to get it unless we try to make a big package for a m.young type player but from what i hear hes staying put. this is all only possible if uribe is in more trouble then we think....

crazyozzie02
01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
i wouldnt mind it, but they would then have to go out and get a good util-infielder, unless they draw from the minors. I know that i still ahve a huge man-crush on him, but whats that status of the traded every year Tony G?

chisoxmike
01-07-2007, 05:35 PM
bingo. thats why i wouldnt mind seeing a trade for a middle of the road SS with a above avg glove, .275 avg, some speed, etc. as long as we dont have to give up much to get it unless we try to make a big package for a m.young type player but from what i hear hes staying put. this is all only possible if uribe is in more trouble then we think....

Until he is found guilty (which he has not been) and thrown in jail, we have a starting shortstop, his name is Juan Uribe.

btrain929
01-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Until he is found guilty (which he has not been) and thrown in jail, we have a starting shortstop, his name is Juan Uribe.

he doesnt have to be found guilty and in jail to NOT be our SS. if he has to be in court in another country twice a month for either up-to spring training or even into the season, is that what we really want for a starting SS?? when Uribe comes out and says that HE isnt sure if he WANTS to play in 07, wouldnt that scare you a bit? he said he wants to get this all settled first, then he'll make a decision about playing. thats all fine and dandy, but if im the GM, thats a big question mark that I wouldnt feel too comfortable leaving "as-is" or with the attitude of "lets see what happens"....

caulfield12
01-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Let's just wait until the end of the day tomorrow.

You think Ozzie or one of the Spanish-speaking guys would pick up the phone and find out what's going on...or at least send him a text message/IM.

oeo
01-07-2007, 06:19 PM
well, last year was certainly not a great season for juan, especially hitting for average. in 2004 he hit .283, in 2005 he hit .252, career average of .258, he is better than what he showed last year

defensively they are close. uribe has a better arm and covers as much ground. also, uribe has pop, which makes up for any slight difference of cintron being a better hitter. i would be content with cintron as our starting SS next year, but i like juan over him.

From what I've seen of Cintron defensively, he's not even in Uribe's league. Uribe is one of the better defensive shortstops in the league, Cintron, OTOH, is not.

soxguy
01-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Hey maybe the white sox could ask mike caruso if he wants back into the bigs........he never got his fair shot anyway.:tongue:

ondafarm
01-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Cintron is a good player, but perhaps not the best defender. I much prefer Uribe. If Uribe's trouble keep him away for a few weeks or on an occasional basis then Cintron would be adequate. Apart from that the White Sox would need to consider a trade.

goon
01-07-2007, 10:42 PM
From what I've seen of Cintron defensively, he's not even in Uribe's league. Uribe is one of the better defensive shortstops in the league, Cintron, OTOH, is not.

At the SS position, Uribe has the best arm in the league (or at least matches the best arm), his range is also great. I never really saw Cintron at Arizona, but from what i saw last year, he seems like an adequate defender, though I'd rather see him at second than SS.

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Defensively, yes. Uribe is probably the best SS in the league.
Offensively, he has the worst OBP of anyone in the league.

caulfield12
01-08-2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/201896,081SPT6.article

Hitmen77
01-08-2007, 10:07 AM

But as of late Saturday night, Williams had tried to reach out to Uribe and had been unable to connect with him. One point where Williams left absolutely no doubt is the direction the White Sox would move if the Uribe legal issue remains murky.

"Very simply, if it turns out he is in more trouble than we originally thought, decides not to report, or is distracted and can't play at a championship level, Alex will take his job," Williams said via e-mail Saturday night.

This isn't surprising to me. What did we expect KW to publically say - that without Uribe the Sox are desperate buyers for a starting SS?

itsnotrequired
01-08-2007, 10:08 AM
This isn't surprising to me. What did we expect KW to publically say - that without Uribe the Sox are desperate buyers for a starting SS?

I'm more surprised that the Sox haven't been able to get a hold of him to find out what the heck is going on.

tick53
01-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Wow. That is big news.
If this is going to happen, then I would assume it would have to be Cintron's job. As far as I know, there hasn't been any word about interest in any other SS out there.

- by the way, it looks like he's on his way to beat the crap out of the photographer in that photo.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070105/capt.4f248040e6984bf1ba889a5a7fdfa798.dominican_ur ibe_sdo103.jpg

I see Juan is wearing his World Series ring proudly:smile: .

caulfield12
01-08-2007, 10:32 PM
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=517794&s=bei&type=story

OkStateSox
01-08-2007, 10:35 PM
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=517794&s=bei&type=story
"Translated" version. (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fespndeportes.espn.go.com% 2Fnews%2Fstory%3Fid%3D517794%26s%3Dbei%26type%3Dst ory&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

goon
01-08-2007, 10:39 PM
"The prosecutors of Juan Uribe in the Dominican Republic say that they will continue with his case against the torpedo boat of Average White."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

CaptainBallz
01-08-2007, 10:42 PM
The pelotero Juan Uribe hopes that the legal case that it maintains in Dominican Republic does not affect its integration to the training of the Average White of Chicago

:o:

They better be talking about some soccer team or something I've never heard of or else we might need to start a media watch on ESPN Deportes!!!

oeo
01-08-2007, 10:48 PM
"Translated" version. (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fespndeportes.espn.go.com% 2Fnews%2Fstory%3Fid%3D517794%26s%3Dbei%26type%3Dst ory&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

I think I'm better off using my awful Spanish skills.

caulfield12
01-08-2007, 10:51 PM
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican republic -- The pelotero Juan Uribe hopes that the legal case that maintains in Dominican Republic does not affect its integration to the training of the Average White of Chicago in February, but their prosecutors have other plans.
The lawyer of Antonio González, the man whom he blames Uribe to have shot to him in last October, it said to ESPNdeportes.com that will force Dominican justice to review deeply all the tests of the case before a preliminary hearing is summoned to determine if sufficient elements for a formal demand exist.

Uribe insists on which is innocent
“we are soliciting average of tests, that includes to investigate to all the actors of investigation whom worked initially in the harvesting of all the tests of the case ", roberto Faxas said, lawyer of the accusing part.
“We at least did not wait for a call of hearing until within month and means like minimum. More than two months it would be an appropriate time for a good investigation ", Faxas added.
Uribe, its Elpidio brother and a friend of both, Jose Incarnation, they are accused to cause a shooting in which were wounded two men, the past 3 of October, en el pueblo Juan Barón, tp the south of Santo Domingo.

“I am innocent and I hope that the judge convenes a preliminary hearing for end of January”, Uribe said.
“Since there is no evidence of my involvement in that incident, then most logically it is that the judge mistakes the bottom judgment ", Uribe said.
“I believe in Dominican justice and I hope that this case is investigated until the very end so that this serves as a precedent for any person who is planning a legal case with the idea to remove money, to me or any other Dominican baseball star ", Uribe said."

“It is lamentable that we are involved in this situation simply by accusation and his (defendant's) wish to stop being poor thanks to my work”, Uribe said.

MY NOTE: Of course, the prosector said they weren't singling out Uribe because he's a professional baseball player and has lots of money to take away. The thing to be worried with is that the prosecutors want to start an investigation (of at least two months), which would begin to conflict w/ ST and the regular season and give them more leverage to extract a monetary concession from Uribe so that he can play baseball uninterrupted.

OkStateSox
01-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Oh, that helps, someone who actually speaks spanish.

caulfield12
01-08-2007, 10:54 PM
:o:

They better be talking about some soccer team or something I've never heard of or else we might need to start a media watch on ESPN Deportes!!!

Media also means "average/normal" in Spanish. I machine translated it for speed, then fixed it so it makes sense. See other thread.

OkStateSox
01-08-2007, 10:55 PM
I think I'm better off using my awful Spanish skills.
What, you didn't want to hear about the torpedo boat?

Huisj
01-08-2007, 10:55 PM
That translation is hilarious to read. Where does Torpedo boats come from?

It calls the Encarnacion guy "Incarnation". And I love how this quote got translated:

“Since there are no evidences of which it was involved in that incident, then most logical it is than the judge misestimates the bottom judgment”, said Uribe.

It sounds like something yoda would say if he decided to become a lawyer.

KRS1
01-08-2007, 10:58 PM
That translation is hilarious to read. Where does Torpedo boats come from?

It calls the Encarnacion guy "Incarnation". And I love how this quote got translated:

“Since there are no evidences of which it was involved in that incident, then most logical it is than the judge misestimates the bottom judgment”, said Uribe.

This gave me a good laugh...Thanks.

tomgordon1
01-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Well, if Uribe will sit out for '07, then it's no problem to have Cintron be the everyday starter. He's a great clutch hitter and he can improve on his defense. I have faith that Uribe can raise his average but we don't know if that will happen for sure. Either way we go, shortstop isn't our biggest issue right now. It's the starting rotation.

itsnotrequired
01-09-2007, 11:08 AM
New article up at whitesox.com:

"I spoke with Juan's attorney, Martin Arburua, twice today," said Williams via e-mail on Monday night. "Just as I have felt all offseason, I feel Juan will soon be officially exonerated."

"The White Sox respect the Dominican legal process and to this point have refrained from comment on this matter," continued Williams in his Monday e-mail. "I personally will not comment any further on the matter other than to say that throughout the years Juan has given me no reason whatsoever to doubt his character, and unless there is proof of inappropriate behavior, I will continue to stand in his corner."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070108&content_id=1775300&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

SSSoxFan
01-09-2007, 12:00 PM
This was from Scott Reifert's blog today (1/9/07):

Juan Uribe never ceases to surprise. Late Friday afternoon, the AP ran a story from the Dominican quoting Juan as stating that he may have to miss the 2007 season because of charges made against him in October.
For those in the media who cover the White Sox (and for those of us who know Juan), he is very quiet by nature, not saying a whole lot in Spanish or via translator. Everyone was very surprised to see so many quotes from Juan and obviously, to read him questionning his availability for the 2007 season.
But in the Spanish-language version of the story, there are actually four comments from Juan, with the final one saying that he hopes this doesn't make him late to spring training. So in that single story, his quotes ranged from missing the 2007 season to being late for spring training.
The next day a story ran with Juan correcting the impression that the 2007 season was in doubt. We certainly expect him to be in spring training. His representatives are hopeful that this case can be resolved before spring training or adjustments can be made so that his baseball status is unaffected. So while things can change over the next six weeks, this appeared to be much ado about nothing.
Each time this happens, it feels like a big game of telephone.

maurice
01-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Medias = socks = Sox. Thus, the Spanish "los Medias Blancas de Chicago" = "Chicago White Sox" = / = "Average White of Chicago."

An untranslated portion of the original Spanish text also says, roughly:
Friday, a judge ordered Uribe to appear twice a month to demonstrate that he's not trying to evade justice, and ordered the parties to prepare for a preliminary hearing. The judge's decision does not prevent Uribe from leaving the country but, if the case extends into February, then he would be forced to travel twice a month from Arizona, where the White Sox have their Spring Training.

BTW, it seems that the lawyer quoted in the piece is the alleged victim's lawyer--not a prosecutor representing the D.R.

caulfield12
01-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Medias = socks = Sox. Thus, the Spanish "los Medias Blancas de Chicago" = "Chicago White Sox" = / = "Average White of Chicago."

An untranslated portion of the original Spanish text also says, roughly:

BTW, it seems that the lawyer quoted in the piece is the alleged victim's lawyer--not a prosecutor representing the D.R.

calcetines is also socks

but in Spanish, the White Sox are medias blancas, Red Sox medias Rojos

the problem is that the translator doesn't translate it as socks, they change it to "medio" which is like normal, medium, average, in the middle, etc.

EMel9281
01-09-2007, 02:02 PM

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

"Me say justice good!"