PDA

View Full Version : How did you find out about the trade? (BMac that is)

gobears1987
01-01-2007, 03:55 PM
I've just spent the last couple of weeks having the time of my life in Eretz Yisrael so I'm sure my story is different from most

I was in Israel having the time of my life. I was actually in a Bedouin Tent in the middle of the Judean Desert when I found out about it from a friend via cell phone. I was pretty pissed off about it. (It was around 4:15 am in Israel and I was up since we were going to climb Masada before sunrise). Let me just say my mind wasn't on the climb when I did it.

Now I'm worried that this team lacks a 5th starter. Going through 2004 without a 5th starter was hell. I just hope Kenny has something in mind. I'll be willing to give him some time before I truly rip him, but let me say I'm worried and hope my fears aren't realized.

FarWestChicago
01-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't suppose there is any chance you could go back to Israel? :redneck

gobears1987
01-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't suppose there is any chance you could go back to Israel? :redneck
Oh you are mean. I suppose I'm going to get the blame now for Grossman's game yesterday.:redneck

crazyozzie02
01-01-2007, 04:05 PM
i found out by looking at espn on my cell phone. I was at the field musuem and had just gotten out of the king tut exhibit and just sat down on the floor and put my head in my knees. my family didnt know what was wrong but i tossed them my cell phone and my dad did almost the same thing.

CaptainBallz
01-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I overheard KW on his cell phone at the airport...

SABRSox
01-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I found out here. At first I thought it was a joke, then I read about who we got and was thrilled.

whitesoxwilkes
01-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I got a text from my buddy Moose (Sox fan who lives in Dallas and posts here) that said "Sox traded McCarthy? ***?"

I was never a big FOFOAB, so I was pretty blase about the whole thing.

TDog
01-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Now I'm worried that this team lacks a 5th starter. Going through 2004 without a 5th starter was hell. I just hope Kenny has something in mind. I'll be willing to give him some time before I truly rip him, but let me say I'm worried and hope my fears aren't realized.

I don't understand the confidence people had in Brandon McCarthy becoming the "fifth starter" the Sox had in 2005.

Baby Fisk
01-01-2007, 04:19 PM
i found out by looking at espn on my cell phone. I was at the field musuem and had just gotten out of the king tut exhibit and just sat down on the floor and put my head in my knees. my family didnt know what was wrong but i tossed them my cell phone and my dad did almost the same thing.

Good grief man! Consider your previous honour revoked!

buehrle4cy05
01-01-2007, 04:24 PM
My brother posted something on my facebook wall referring to the "McCarthy trade." I was over at a friends house and causally checked my facebook, which led me to that wall post. I went to ESPN.com immediatly and found the story.

DaleJRFan
01-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Erik the Red text messaged me. I pissed my pants at first but then did ****ing cartwheels when I found out the trade netted John Danks AND Nick Masset. Holy crap, whaddda trade!

itsnotrequired
01-01-2007, 04:49 PM

:?:

I walk around with a knife to my throat at all times just in case I get news like the McCarthy trade.

:rolleyes:

Chisox003
01-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Instead of an "Appreciation thread" McCarthy loyalists are having a grievance thread. This is hilarious. "Well, I was taking a dump when all of the sudden my phone rang...."

:whiner:

Answer this: What's more annoying, your signature or your complete ignorance toward what the White Sox are trying to do? *waits for another tantrum*

eastchicagosoxfan
01-01-2007, 05:04 PM
My barber told me. Seriously, I saw it posted on this board.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-01-2007, 05:10 PM
I was busy picking posies along the edge of this cliff. Suddenly my carrier pigeon flew down beside me with a note attached to its foot. I read the note, dropped to the ground, pulled out the cyanide tablet I always store inside the sewn hem of my pants leg...

:cool:

goon
01-01-2007, 05:18 PM
where were you when kennedy was shot?

digdagdug23
01-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Good grief man! Consider your previous honour revoked!

I was busy picking posies along the edge of this cliff. Suddenly my carrier pigeon flew down beside me with a note attached to its foot. I read the note, dropped to the ground, pulled out the cyanide tablet I always store inside the sewn hem of my pants leg...

:roflmao: :kneeslap: :rolling:

I found out the way I usually find things out.........on these boards.

batmanZoSo
01-01-2007, 07:49 PM
I was on a pile of money, with many beautiful ladies.

I'm sorry, but this totally isn't a "where were you" moment, unless you happened to be in the middle of the Judean Desert at the time.

SoxFanPrope
01-01-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm sorry, but this totally isn't a "where were you" moment, unless you happened to be in the middle of the Judean Desert at the time.
Or unless this was something really important, like the Bears losing a meaningless game to Green Bay.

Just wondering, but has the sun come out since McCarthy was traded?

DumpJerry
01-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Kenny told me about that morning while we were getting our haircuts.

So, I'm just wondering, threadstarter, is this an event in your life you will remember forever and tell your grandchildren about?

"Kids, there was once a pitcher for the White Sox named Brandon McCarthy. He got traded to the Texas Rangers for some other pitchers."

"Gramps, who was Brandon McCarthy? Was he as good as Jon Garland?"

"*silence*"

batmanZoSo
01-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Or unless this was something really important, like the Bears losing a meaningless game to Green Bay.

Just wondering, but has the sun come out since McCarthy was traded?

Not in my heart. :(:

soxfanreggie
01-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I was talking with Bafia. It was shocking news, and I really didn't see it coming.

Corlose 15
01-02-2007, 02:52 AM
http://uk.geocities.com/zaz_fan/zaz_web_pages/air29.gif
"I was in the Magumba Bar in Drambui off the Barbary Coast when I found out. The mood in the place was downright ugly."

soxstarter
01-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah......we were shocked. Change is a bad thing!

Yet they will form, storm, and then just wait till April!

CLR01
01-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I found out here in the "recapping Kenny's lousy trades..." thread. I logged in and it was the first thread I saw and opened. My first reaction was :?: what the hell is he talking about Kenny didn't trade McCarthy. I then backed out of the thread and noticed the McCarthy trade thread. :redface:

Iwritecode
01-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm very rarely on my computer on weekends so I was oblivous to the trade for a good day. I finally found out when a friend of mine said something like "Why did the Sox trade McCarthy for a couple of minor leaguers from Texas?"

Then I came on here and found the full story.

Frontman
01-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Listening to the radio. I was like "Daaaaaaaaaamn, flying sock won't be fun for a few days." :wink:

Front

mccoydp
01-02-2007, 01:14 PM
I was settled in to my two week vacation in Mexico. I had just checked the site in the morning, but checked it again later that day just to be sure Kenny wasn't wheeling and dealing.

Ho hum. We'll see what happens next.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I was really sick so I wasn't paying much attention to TV and radio...once my fever hit and I felt well enough to site up, I logged on here....
In all honesty, were it not for this site, I'd not know 1/2 the things I do about the team and the goings on....in this town, anyway.

DumpJerry
01-02-2007, 01:24 PM
The bigger question is how did you find out that the Sox had traded away Tommy Agee?

CLR01
01-02-2007, 01:32 PM
The bigger question is how did you find out that the Sox had traded away Tommy Agee?

An even better question will be how long will the banning be for the next person(s) who responds to this thread with something other than an answer to the original question.

spawn
01-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Funny thing...I was away from my computer, and figured I'd come here to see the latest gossip. I then see the second 'McCarthy Traded' thread. At first I was thinking *** did KW do now? Then I saw what we got for him and realized KW would've been a fool for not pulling the trigger on that deal.

itsnotrequired
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I was at my wife's aunt's house and her cousin was on the ESPN homepage. I saw some headline which said McCarthy traded. I said "Whoa!" and had him click on the link. Then I used their other computer to hop on WSI and saw the site going nuts.

AuroraSoxFan
01-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I was at an x-mas party and saw it on the ESPN ticker. Didn't go into a depressed state like some seemed to have done. I just kinda scratched my head and tried to make sense of it. Still haven't been able to make too much sense of it. But that's why I'm not a GM. I really hope the Sox don't end up plugging in different people into the #5 spot. But I really doubt Kenny would let that happen again. So it will be fun to see how it all turns out.

23Ventura
01-02-2007, 02:25 PM
I found out from these boards.

Jerksticks
01-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I was at an x-mas party and saw it on the ESPN ticker. Didn't go into a depressed state like some seemed to have done. I just kinda scratched my head and tried to make sense of it. Still haven't been able to make too much sense of it. But that's why I'm not a GM. I really hope the Sox don't end up plugging in different people into the #5 spot. But I really doubt Kenny would let that happen again. So it will be fun to see how it all turns out.

Exactly man. All I could do was scratch my head because I have never seen Danks n company pitch. It's exciting though. Masset sounds like a beast.

But FYI, FOAB, IMO, will always be FOAB.

:gulp: Here's to McCarthy bein GONE!

maurice
01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I saw it on ESPN's bottom line. All I could make out was McCarthy and some nobody for John Danks and 2 other guys. I said, "Holy ****, KW did it again! He got the guy he always wanted. But why would Texas trade Danks for McCarthy and a total nobody?!?" Then, having no Internet access from home, I frantically called a fellow WSIer to get the identity of the other 2 prospects and to confirm that KW didn't give up anything else.

Then I thought, "There's no way that Phil Rogers can spin this into his theory that JR/KW are dumping payroll and White Flagging the 2007 season," since KW traded a low-payroll guy instead of Garland, Buehrle, Vazquez, or Contreras.
:redface:

caulfield12
01-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I might have a winner, and it doesn't bode well for the White Sox.

I was in southern Poland at the Galicja Hotel, about 5 minutes' distance by taxi from Auschwitz Concentration Camp.

I found out the night of the 26th because all the Internet cafes were closed in Europe the 24th-26th, so I was pretty shocked, but not completely, as those same names were mentioned with Garland talks earlier.

MeanFish
01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
I found out while checking my e-mail. A friend of mine had made a crack to the effect of "So, how long before Kenny Williams has replaced the entire rotation?"

I'm sitting here thinking, "really, we only lost Garcia...or did we lose someone else?" So I checked ESPN and sure enough, FOBB had been traded (Fingernails On A Blackboard -- the acronym works double duty!).

That's pretty much it.

thomas35forever
01-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I saw on the forums home "Rangers Acquire...". Immediately, I went over to the team's web site to find out.

letsgosox15
01-03-2007, 12:22 AM
i was hearing that it was vasquez close to being traded which i was happy about then i was driving listening to 670 and heard it was McCarthy... i was so pissed.:angry:

Pike
01-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I just found out (llok at time stamp)

I am living in Africa, so I do not get to much information. I don't remember hearing anything on Sportscenter (It comes on very late here). Also, being from New Orleans, and a lifelong Saints fan, I have been understandably "distracted."

Anyway, I am not upset nor elated. I wasn't all that impress with him in 2006, and he was only projected to be the # 5 starter. I personally like the idea of an open competition for the 5th spot. You like to think that some young arm is going to come out looking good enough to hold down the 5th spot.

One of the reasons I am a Sox fan (I moved to Chicago back in 2001) was because I like KWs attitude and his willingness to do whatever it took to have sustained success. I am actually more upset about Freddy Garcia. He was one of my favorite pitchers. I wish him luck. As I said, I have my trust with KW until he proves otherwise.

russ99
01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I was in an internet cafe' in Zurich, Switzerland on the 27th. Initally, I was appalled with the deal, but have since warmed to it. I just hope the Sox don't end up with another dud at the 5 spot in the rotation.

soxfan13
01-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I was actually running around all day xmas shopping. Later that evening a Cub fan at my local watering hole asked me what I thought of the McCarthy trade. And that was the first I heard he had to fill me in on the players