PDA

View Full Version : Ratto: A Blanton-Milledge Deal?

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-31-2006, 05:36 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/12/31/SPGQINARV71.DTL

From Ray Ratto of the SF Chronicle:

"[T]he next cleat to fall will not be on the Giants' side, but in Oakland, where the dramatically more successful Athletics, having already lost Frank Thomas, Jay Payton and Ken Macha, are likely to also dispatch their winningest pitcher, Joe Blanton, to New York as part of a deal that would fetch one of Billy Beane's longest-held desirables, outfielder Lastings Milledge."

If Minaya was crazy enough to accept it, I sure wouldn't mind it if KW sent Vazquez to NY for Milledge, straight-up.

Daver
12-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Can he pitch?

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Can he pitch?

Uh, no. But he'd sure look nice in CF. Stats are here: http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/lastings-milledge.shtml

Daver
12-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Uh, no. But he'd sure look nice in CF. Stats are here: http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/lastings-milledge.shtml

Why would you trade a starting pitcher out of your rotation to fill a position you already have filled?

Frater Perdurabo
12-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Why would you trade a starting pitcher out of your rotation to fill a position you already have filled?

Because Brian Anderson is a terrible CF. Aaron Rowand is the best CF the Sox have ever had, and I'm going to hate Anderson no matter what he does because Rowand was a grinder and he's the reason the Sox won in 2005 and didn't repeat in 2006 and because the Phillies stole Rowand and KW allowed himself to be ripped off. At the very least, if Anderson doesn't suck, he can move over to left.

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-31-2006, 07:11 PM

Good question. Milledge is one of the top propects in baseball. I am not too down on Anderson. I think in time he will hit; he's already excellent defensively. I would put Milledge in LF, and keep Anderson in CF.

I think Vazquez is generally a mediocre pitcher If we could swap him, and perhaps a prospect, for Milledge, I'd do it in a second. Heck, Billy Beane, accoring to Ratto, is prepared to deal Blanton for Milledge.

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Because Brian Anderson is a terrible CF. Aaron Rowand is the best CF the Sox have ever had, and I'm going to hate Anderson no matter what he does because Rowand was a grinder and he's the reason the Sox won in 2005 and didn't repeat in 2006 and because the Phillies stole Rowand and KW allowed himself to be ripped off. At the very least, if Anderson doesn't suck, he can move over to left.

Well, I think Jim Landis rates far ahead of Rowand...

Anyway, the reason the Sox won it all in 2005 but not in 2006 is because their starting pitching underperformed, and their bullpen was nowhere near as effective.

soxfan26
12-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, I think Jim Landis rates far ahead of Rowand...

Teal = sarcasm. :thumbsup:

FedEx227
12-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Pass. Milledge is not as impressive as people have talked up. I know many of Met fans friends who can't wait to maximize the value of Milledge before teams really realize the holes in his game.

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Pass. Milledge is not as impressive as people have talked up. I know many of Met fans friends who can't wait to maximize the value of Milledge before teams really realize the holes in his game.

What are the "holes." I know he is considered a head case, but he's supposed to have impressive tools.

delben91
12-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I think Vazquez is generally a mediocre pitcher If we could swap him, and perhaps a prospect, for Milledge, I'd do it in a second. Heck, Billy Beane, accoring to Ratto, is prepared to deal Blanton for Milledge.

Making the rotation Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Haeger, and Floyd?

:?:

Daver
12-31-2006, 10:47 PM
What are the "holes." I know he is considered a head case, but he's supposed to have impressive tools.

Joe Borchard had impressive tools.

Mark Johnson had impressive tools.

Both were first round draft picks.

RKMeibalane
12-31-2006, 11:58 PM

The NY media was hyping Milledge as the second coming of Darryl Strawberry (pre-drugs), but I don't see what the big deal is. He looks like he may turn out to be a good player, but there's no reason for teams to give up proven players for him, especially teams with possible holes in their starting rotation. With Zito gone, Oakland should be looking to retain the arms that they have, not trading them. Then again, this is Billy Beane we're talking about.

jabrch
01-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Heck, Billy Beane, accoring to Ratto, is prepared to deal Blanton for Milledge.

And if Billy Beane would do it, it would have to be right?

Joe Blanton, just to be clear, had a 4.82 ERA, a .309 opp avg and a 1.54 WHIP in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in baseball. Beane would, of course, trade him for a prospect like Milledge. Minaya wants either Haren or Harden.

Beautox
01-01-2007, 09:22 AM

Milledge (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/Lastings-Milledge.shtml) does has some flaws in his game, but hes also gone about making adjustments at AAA he cut down on his Ks and walked more while his BA suffered a little bit.

.337/.399/.579 as a 19yr old at A
.302/.385/.418 as a 20yr old at A+
.337/.392/.487 as a 20yr old at AA
.277/.388/.440 as a 21yr old at AAA

I would say those career milb numbers for a 21yr old are very impressive.

he's a 5 tool talent there is no denying that, for a comparison Hanley Ramirez (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/Hanley-Ramirez.shtml) as a 20yr old at AA .310/.360/.512

If Beane lands him the future will be looking very bright for the A's, Kendall's contract will be done after this year and then very talented Kurt Suzuki (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Kurt-Suzuki.shtml) will step in behind the dish, they'll be pretty strong up the middle. Their OF will be stacked in both the talent and attitude department (Milledge & Bradley).

Arkham
01-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Heck, Billy Beane, accoring to Ratto, is prepared to deal Blanton for Milledge.

Ratto's wrong. Beane wants Milledge AND a pitcher in return for Blanton, either a grade-A prospect like Mike Pelfrey or a MLB-ready player like Heilman (other names mentioned include John Maine and Philip Humber.) The Mets have wisely said no thus far, though I don't know what kind of pressure Minaya's under to fill the rotation.