PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 2007

Lip Man 1
12-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Folks:

Just FYI, I'll be starting my important dates in franchise history for the upcoming year on Friday, January 5th, for January 6th.

That is the first entry for 2007.

I've added a couple hundred new additions so as we go through the year you'll see new historical items in addition to some you may remember from when I started this back in June.

I hope all of you will enjoy it.

Happy new year to you and yours.

Lip

Hitmen77
12-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to reading your posts throught 2007. Happy New Year!

2007 will be the 30th anniversary of the 1977 South Side Hitmen. It'll also be the 40th anniv. of the '67 pennant contending team.

Frater Perdurabo
12-31-2006, 04:33 PM
2007 will be the 30th anniversary of the 1977 South Side Hitmen. It'll also be the 40th anniv. of the '67 pennant contending team.

And the 90th anniversary of the 1917 World Series Champions! :D:

BRDSR
12-31-2006, 04:55 PM
And the 90th anniversary of the 1917 World Series Champions! :D:

I'm really glad that we can put a smiley face next to that statement. Only reason being that it is the 2nd anniversary of the 205 World Series Champions! :D: Definitely would not have a smiley face otherwise.

StatManDu
12-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Have a Happy New Year everybody. One of the best things that happend to me in 2006 was the discovery of this site and its message boards and the great information provided by Lip and his posts.

I have a This Date in White Sox History journal/blog on AOL that is updated daily if anyone is interested. There is no financial stake involved for me. It's free. There are no ads other than the ones aol uses. I have no motive other than the proliferation of information to the White Sox Nation, passing time during the offseason and getting all this stuff organized for my files personally. Check out my profile for the address.

Britt Burns
12-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks Lip, love the series. Can't wait to relive all the highlights of the 1917 World Championship team! :smile:

palehozenychicty
12-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks Lip, love the series. Can't wait to relive all the highlights of the 1917 World Championship team! :smile:

Touche!

Lip Man 1
01-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Hitmen:

2007 is also the 35th anniversary of the 1972 'Outhouse To Penthouse' White Sox. (That term was coined by Sox outfielder Rick Reichardt who wondered which direction the Sox were heading.)

Lip

rwcescato
01-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Hitmen:

2007 is also the 35th anniversary of the 1972 'Outhouse To Penthouse' White Sox. (That term was coined by Sox outfielder Rick Reichardt who wondered which direction the Sox were heading.)

Lip

Thanks for all the info Lip.

StatManDu
01-01-2007, 02:36 PM
That 1972 team was one of the most underrated and -- as time passes -- underappreciated teams in Sox history. Clad in red pinstriped uniforms, that team did much to pump life and interest back into the franchise.

When Roland Hemond came to my town last April, I talked to him about the 1972 team in an interview which encompassed Hemond's career:

“We made quite a number of trades that first winter (before the 1971 season) and improved by 23 games. The next year, Al Campanis of the Dodgers said he would consider trading Dick Allen. He wanted Tommy John and Terry Forster. I said, ‘I can’t give you Forster. He could be another Koufax.’ In any event, we arrived at a trade.

“Chuck Tanner had known Dick real well. They lived in the same area. I said, ‘Chuck, what do you think?’ And Chuck said, ‘I’d love to have him.’ ”
Allen went on to win the 1972 American League MVP Award in becoming (with the help of the club’s TV voice Harry Caray) one of the most popular figures in Chicago.

“Allen came and he was a success story, the MVP. The club drew over a million. If (third baseman Bill) Melton (who had won the last two A.L. home run titles) didn’t come up with a herniated disc in mid-season, he played just 60 games that year, I think that club would have gone onto the World Series.”