PDA

View Full Version : I think Houston is gonna try for it!

Fisk Fan
07-31-2001, 02:46 PM
It appears that they just traded for Pedro Astacio. I don't know what kind of impact this will have, but I like their guts! They could, and will, catch the Cubs.

Come on Astros!

KVinc
07-31-2001, 02:51 PM
Cool, calm, just like my mom
With a couple of valium inside her palm.
:)anyway dont forget Mike williams to the astros thats a good bullpen now, Dotel,Williams(the other one),Wagner, and Williams(the one they just got from PIT)

Chisox353014
07-31-2001, 03:06 PM
Good God this is depressing. Our season has pretty much been reduced to desperately rooting for another team to knock off the Scrubs. Don't get me wrong-I'm not knocking you guys, I have a seat on the Astro bandwagon right next to you-but if someone had told me before the season that on August 1st we would be looking up at both the Twinkies and Flubs I would have fallen down laughing.

No-Neck
07-31-2001, 03:21 PM
GO ASTROS GO!

I'm going to today and tomorrow's game at Comiskey, so...

KingXerxes
07-31-2001, 03:25 PM
They certainly didn't hurt themselves by getting Williams - BECAUSE THEY GOT HIM FOR NEXT TO NOTHING - ARE YOU READING THIS JR and KW?????, but I think Astacio for Elarton may turn out to be a collossal yawn. I was never sold on all the hype with Astacio.

Iguana775
07-31-2001, 03:52 PM
:KW
"But I got a steal with Embree!!! He is going to be something in this league"

:embree
"Gee, thanks Kenny. Now where should I put your car when I am done washing it?? Oh, and your dry cleaning will be done in about an hour."

Randar68
07-31-2001, 04:08 PM
originally posted by KingXerxes
They certainly didn't hurt themselves by getting Williams - BECAUSE THEY GOT HIM FOR NEXT TO NOTHING - ARE YOU READING THIS JR and KW?????, but I think Astacio for Elarton may turn out to be a collossal yawn. I was never sold on all the hype with Astacio.

Ummmmmm, If you know anything about Houston's farm system, that Mike Williams trade is the equivalent of us trading a Garland or Danny Wright for him, that was no steal. The Elarton trade was a good deal, Elarton appears to be just about done, and Astacio is a ground ball pitcher....we'll see, but Houston gave up a very good young pitcher to get Mike Williams, someone who's 32 and been inconsistent his whole career save the past few months.....imagine Foulke's value on that scale......

i ate canada
07-31-2001, 04:21 PM
imagine Foulke's value on that scale......

:KW

"I could get Ozzie Canseco and Mike Maddux for him!"

By the way, Tony McNight's arm is not comparable to Garland or Danny Wright's. He was a little lower on Houston's depth chart than Garland and Wright are on ours. I'd compare it to us trading Biddle.

IA_soxfan
07-31-2001, 04:25 PM
Cool, calm, just like my mom With a couple of valium inside her palm.
And I thought I was the only Eminem fan on this board.

Sox Content: Sox trading Biddle, sounds good to me.

Randar68
07-31-2001, 04:50 PM
originally posted by IAC
By the way, Tony McNight's arm is not comparable to Garland or Danny Wright's. He was a little lower on Houston's depth chart than Garland and Wright are on ours. I'd compare it to us trading Biddle.

*****!!!

Yeah, IAC, that's it, dumb it down......

Tony McKnight was a 1st round pick, and of Oswalt and Redding, McKnight is only very marginally behind. He is Houston's #4 overall prospect entering this season and also the #4 pitching prospect....

In our System, that would be equivalent to Danny Wright (#5 overall, #3 pitcher on a list that did not include Kip Wells, Jon Garland, or Mark Buehrle)....

For your information, Biddle was ranked as the 14th best in the Sox Ordganization entering this year, and if you included him this year, would probably be behind even more pitchers, as several others have emerged this season.

Here's a short synopsis of his abilities:
"McKnight reminds scouts of Ron Darling because he has three plus pitches at times: a 92-94 mph fastball, a curveball and a changeup. He throws strikes and has a deceptive delivery. When he was less than 100 percent physically, he was tagged as soft, but he is now recognized as a competitor. "

Iguana775
07-31-2001, 04:52 PM
hey, i like M & M's!! lol. but i also like the rapper(is that what he is?? lol), eminem.

KingXerxes
07-31-2001, 05:05 PM
Okay - McKnight is a fine prospect, but the fact is that his ERA was almost 5 in AAA and I think he has the sum total of 1 major league win. I don't think that's giving up too much in order to try and win a division.

Would I trade Garland or Wright for someone who I thought could put us over? Hell yes.

Randar68
07-31-2001, 05:07 PM
Mike Williams is 32 years old, here's what ESPN says of the trade (fact based)....

The Astros also add bullpen depth by getting Williams from the Pirates. While he's Pittsburgh's closer and has converted 22 of 24 save chances, Williams is hardly a dominating reliever, allowing 39 hits, 21 walks and six homers in 41.2 innings. All six of his homers have come vs. lefties, who have slugged .488 against him. McKnight is another of Houston's good pitching prospects, a notch below the Oswalt-Redding-Miller level. He's a 24-year-old righty who isn't overpowering but has a 3.91 ERA in nine career starts. He should step into Pittsburgh's rotation

oldcomiskey
07-31-2001, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Good God this is depressing. Our season has pretty much been reduced to desperately rooting for another team to knock off the Scrubs. Don't get me wrong-I'm not knocking you guys, I have a seat on the Astro bandwagon right next to you-but if someone had told me before the season that on August 1st we would be looking up at both the Twinkies and Flubs I would have fallen down laughing.

and if somebody told me that 6 pitchers would be hurt and Frank Thomas I wouldve said cant happen--but you know something--it did--and something else--when everybody is healthy we will win again because Cleveland and Minnesota aint been able to dispose of us properly

i ate canada
07-31-2001, 05:36 PM
Well when I saw McNight pitch he was throwing 88-90 and was your average run of mill control pitcher. Guess I don't know as much about Houston's farm system as I thought I did. I still think Garland and Wright have better arms than him.

we will win again because Cleveland and Minnesota aint been able to dispose of us properly

I think Minnesota has taken care of us pretty well.

oldcomiskey
07-31-2001, 05:39 PM
yeah that may be true but we aint pout of it yet are we