PDA

View Full Version : Tribune's Top 10 Local Stories of 2006

ChiTownTrojan
12-31-2006, 01:30 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-061230local,1,3673301.htmlstory?coll=cs-home-headlines

I don't really subscribe to all the "Cubune" and media bias talk, but I thought I'd throw in a little fodder for those conspiracy theorists out there, which I've come to learn is pretty much the majority of this board.
6. Barrett punches out Pierzynski
Come now. Why would anyone want to harm an unassuming, milquetoast, workaday Joe like A.J. Pierzynski? What would possibly compel Cubs catcher Michael Barrett to haul off and slam a roundhouse into Pierzynski's chin after a home-plate collision on May 20?

Barrett had 10 days off to think about that, while Pierzynski would continue on his nondescript, entirely unirritating way right through a shoving match with the St. Louis Cardinals' David Eckstein during a professional wrestling pay-per-view event Dec. 10. Which proves what we knew all along: that Eckstein character is bad news.
They rip into A.J. pretty good here. And how about the title? Makes it seem like Barrett knocked A.J. out cold, when what really happened was that he stood there and took it like a man.

Also, Pinella's hiring is #1? Over the Bears?

Actually, I may be starting to come around to all this "Cubune" talk....

RadioheadRocks
12-31-2006, 01:36 AM
More like "The Creampuff Heard 'Round the World". :cool:

Seriously, I'd rank that can of whoop-ass A.J. opened on Ryan Dempster at Wriggly on July 1 with two outs in the 9th inning, not to mention the cascade of trash flung onto the field as one of the best Chicago sports moments from 2006.

ondafarm
12-31-2006, 09:55 AM
I think the final line:

To counter, the Cubs signed every television station in Chicago to $75 million contracts.

is pretty funny.

bryPt
12-31-2006, 10:41 AM
The Tribune and all its offspring are a pile of crap (can I say that?). And apparently Brian Hamilton is no different.

DumpJerry
12-31-2006, 11:06 AM
I guess you're not a regular reader of the Trib. These are Hamilton's Top 10, not the Trib's. For the past few weeks they have been running each sports reporters' Top 10 stories they covered. Obviously some were more White Sox oriented than others and some did not even mention baseball at all.

kittle42
12-31-2006, 12:39 PM
I guess you're not a regular reader of the Trib.

I would hope no one was.

Hitmen77
12-31-2006, 02:48 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-061230local,1,3673301.htmlstory?coll=cs-home-headlines

I don't really subscribe to all the "Cubune" and media bias talk, but I thought I'd throw in a little fodder for those conspiracy theorists out there, which I've come to learn is pretty much the majority of this board.

They rip into A.J. pretty good here. And how about the title? Makes it seem like Barrett knocked A.J. out cold, when what really happened was that he stood there and took it like a man.

Also, Pinella's hiring is #1? Over the Bears?

Actually, I may be starting to come around to all this "Cubune" talk....

I like to rip the Cubune as much as anyone. But to be fair, you have to acknowlege that they made some positive Sox comments too. In the very same article:
10. Sox overtake Cubs in ratings
Neither made the playoffs, but the Sox won a title they had not enjoyed in quite some time: Chicago's favorite baseball team. Ratings-wise, anyway. The Sox's television ratings topped the Cubs' this year for the first time in memory, up 21 percent while the Cubs' numbers dropped 22 percent.

Plus, a study by Scarborough Research had the Sox as the city's favorite team

...and in another article:
For the first time in a long, long time, there's a genuine tussle for the affection of Chicago baseball fans. No longer should the city be considered strictly a "Cubs town"--the White Sox drew higher TV and radio ratings and had comparable attendance in 2006......Associate Managing Editor/Sports Dan McGrath

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-20thingsin07-story,1,6763081.story?coll=chi-news-hed

ondafarm
12-31-2006, 05:30 PM
I guess you're not a regular reader of the Trib. These are Hamilton's Top 10, not the Trib's. For the past few weeks they have been running each sports reporters' Top 10 stories they covered. Obviously some were more White Sox oriented than others and some did not even mention baseball at all.

Yeah, the soccer guy really had me perplexed.