PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Great Falls

DumpJerry
12-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Soxstarter and I went to Great Falls, Montana, last week and stopped in at Centene Stadium, home of the Rookie League Great Falls White Sox.

It was a great visit. The sign outside said that they gift shop was open during the say, so we rushed in to get Great Falls White Sox shirts, etc. It was closed.:whiner: While we stood around and I was about to suggest going upstairs to the business office to plead with them to sell us some stuff, a man appeared who turned out to be Bob Pinski, The GF White Sox Marketing Executive/Stadium Operations Mananger and Chicago native. He opened up the shop and, while it is a tad bit smaller than Grandstand, the prices were great. The authentic Rawlings jerseys were $40, tee shirts under $20 and sweatshirts on sale for $20something. Bob told us that the unsold jerseys are used by team for uniforms.

While we were in the business office, Bob and the woman who worked with him (name unknown) were lamenting the loss of Brandon McCarthy. They seemed to have liked him. They were excited that Boone Logan passed through their way as well as Brian Anderson. There were several 8X10 photos on the walls of various players. Most of the players I never heard of (18 year olds, but there were pics of McCarthy and Logan on the wall.

They play 36 home games during the season and the most "expensive" season ticket package was $220. I told them that my full season ticket package was slightly higher and also there is multi-tiered pricing for different games (all the games at GF have the same price). Bob Let us out to the stands to check out the field-I got some pics of the snow-covered field and seats which I'll try to post here when I get them back.

Anyway, it was exciting to meet front office people who meet tomorrow's heroes when they are just one of a million faces with no name yet.

soxfanreggie
01-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Gotta love minor league baseball. Would love to get out there to Great Falls and see a game.

soxstarter
01-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Yes, Great Falls White Sox Stadium was really nice. At 4500 seats, this rookie league affliate was doing very well. They reportedly fill 83% of seats for the season. Not too shabby and proof positive that they are grown well this organization.

goldglovesox
01-01-2007, 11:55 PM
I had the pleasure to play in Great Falls two years ago and I can tell you that it is a tremendous town. The people of Great Falls were just fantastic and the support of the team is phenomenal. The stadium is great and they put on a great show. The people that run the team are first class they really make you feel special. Great people, great town, great spot to play and great spot to watch a game.

goofymsfan
01-02-2007, 07:11 AM
I had the pleasure to play in Great Falls two years ago and I can tell you that it is a tremendous town. The people of Great Falls were just fantastic and the support of the team is phenomenal. The stadium is great and they put on a great show. The people that run the team are first class they really make you feel special. Great people, great town, great spot to play and great spot to watch a game.

I grew up in Great Falls and visited that stadium many a time during the summer months. At the time though they were associated with the Giants for a short time and then the Dodgers for 19 years. My mom got me a Great Falls White Sox Sweatshirt for Christmas along with a shot glass. I only wish the sweatshirt had the logo on it as I love the logo they have now.

It's a small quaint stadium and they have done some renovations recently. They have some great promotions as well. My mom got me a replica WS Statue, hat and a Great Falls White Sox Golf towel. She also got me a set of this past year's team set.

The stadium was mentioned in an article in SI a few years ago while it was still host to the Dodgers Rookie ball team. If anyone has the chance to visit Great Falls to see the team play, I can also give you some ideas of other things to check out while in town. GF maybe small, but there are some cool things around the area.