PDA

View Full Version : mlb.com: Huff to be an O

White_Sock
12-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Huff is movin on up from 5th to 3rd place.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061230&content_id=1768479&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

i's and t's to be dotted and crossed, but pretty much going to happen.

buehrle4cy05
12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
That was fast, it seemed like an hour ago it was reported that the O's had offered him a deal.

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-30-2006, 06:38 PM
I sure wish the Sox had signed him. He'd look a lot better in LF than any of our current options.

DSpivack
12-31-2006, 03:00 AM

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061230&content_id=1768479&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

i's and t's to be dotted and crossed, but pretty much going to happen.

Well, he was with Houston the last few months of the seaosn. I'd call that a step down.

DaleJRFan
12-31-2006, 03:09 AM
I sure wish the Sox had signed him. He'd look a lot better in LF than any of our current options.

Why? Not only is he a terrible defensive outfielder, but his average, walks and power have all been declining rapidly since 2003. He hit a whopping 267/21/66 last year. How that looks "a lot better" than any of the Sox leftfield options is beyond me. Can he lead-off? Does he run well? Does he steal bases and motor from 1st to 3rd on a single? The Sox two middle infielders could possibly out-perform Huff this season.

Arkham
12-31-2006, 06:28 AM

Nah, O's will finish 4th. This is exactly the kind of signing that makes Baltimore one of the most incompetently-run teams in baseball today. Were they at all close to competing with the Yankees? No. Were they at all close to competing with the Red Sox? No, not really. Frankly I think the Blue Jays are light-years beyond them as well. So what do they do? Spend $20M on a 30 year-old league-average corner-player.

munchman33
12-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Nah, O's will finish 4th. This is exactly the kind of signing that makes Baltimore one of the most incompetently-run teams in baseball today. Were they at all close to competing with the Yankees? No. Were they at all close to competing with the Red Sox? No, not really. Frankly I think the Blue Jays are light-years beyond them as well. So what do they do? Spend $20M on a 30 year-old league-average corner-player.

The east is not as good as people think. The Yankees can rake, but their pitching got worse. And now they're trading the unit. Who's picking up those innings? Pettite was average in the NL. And the Red Cubs pitching, for all the articles about how good it could be, has a ton of question marks. Papelbon starting? Shilling's health? Matsuzaka's fastball in the majors? Josh Beckett learning to pitch in the AL?

Who would you rather have; Huff for 3 years, $20 milllion or Drew for 5 years $75 million? Drew isn't that much better than Huff. And Huff's a better bet to play the whole year.

The gap in the east is closing. The Yankees and Red Cubs aren't as good anymore. And the other teams are making great strides. Seeing Toronto win the division is certainly feasible. And I expect the O's and Rays to stay in the race for most of the year.

Ken Rosenthal predicted both the Yankees and Red Cubs would miss the playoffs this year. I can definately see that happening.

HawkDJ
12-31-2006, 05:09 PM
I sure wish the Sox had signed him.

I believe this was said of every free agent that didn't sign with the Sox.

palehozenychicty
12-31-2006, 05:29 PM
The east is not as good as people think. The Yankees can rake, but their pitching got worse. And now they're trading the unit. Who's picking up those innings? Pettite was average in the NL. And the Red Cubs pitching, for all the articles about how good it could be, has a ton of question marks. Papelbon starting? Shilling's health? Matsuzaka's fastball in the majors? Josh Beckett learning to pitch in the AL?

Who would you rather have; Huff for 3 years, $20 milllion or Drew for 5 years $75 million? Drew isn't that much better than Huff. And Huff's a better bet to play the whole year.

The gap in the east is closing. The Yankees and Red Cubs aren't as good anymore. And the other teams are making great strides. Seeing Toronto win the division is certainly feasible. And I expect the O's and Rays to stay in the race for most of the year.

Ken Rosenthal predicted both the Yankees and Red Cubs would miss the playoffs this year. I can definately see that happening.

i feel you 100%. The East coast media won't mention it, but the Tigers/White Sox dominating the ALeast the past two postseasons show the balance in power has shifted in the AL. Period.

delben91
12-31-2006, 05:31 PM

There was an article in The Onion a few years back about how the Yankees signing all 700+ players in MLB, and working on a deal to buy all the minor league teams too.

If only the Sox would do that...

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
01-01-2007, 04:50 AM

Well, he's more productive than Pods. Plus, he's fairly cheap.

Arkham
01-01-2007, 05:30 AM
The east is not as good as people think.

Not at all relevant to the Huff signing. Whatever the balance of power between the east and the other divisions, within the AL East, New York and Boston are still on top, Toronto is knocking on the door, and Baltimore and Tampa Bay are still trailing by a wide margin, far wider than Aubrey Huff can begin to make up for.