PDA

View Full Version : Source: Randy Johnson Deal Near Complete

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-30-2006, 07:11 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1167457026175360.xml&coll=1

Newark Star Ledger reporting.

Money quote:
"A baseball official who spoke with one of the teams involved yesterday said a trade that would send Johnson from the Yankees back to the Arizona Diamondbacks was nearing its completion."

Save McCuddy's
12-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Cashman and KW are on the same train of thought -- bolster the minor league systems. In a year or so when revenues flatten out, teams are not going to be able to afford the gigantic contracts that are currently being signed. Veterans will be readily available if you have enough depth in the minors to acquire them.

That, and the fact that the Unit is pretty ordinary in the AL at this stage of his career.

batmanZoSo
12-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Cashman and KW are on the same train of thought -- bolster the minor league systems. In a year or so when revenues flatten out, teams are not going to be able to afford the gigantic contracts that are currently being signed. Veterans will be readily available if you have enough depth in the minors to acquire them.

That, and the fact that the Unit is pretty ordinary in the AL at this stage of his career.

Considering KW pwned Cashman in the past, it'd be in his best interest to emulate KW's operations.

ewokpelts
12-30-2006, 12:42 PM
this trade's stupid for arizona...great for the yanks....johnson has sucked big time in the big apple

buehrle4cy05
12-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Is it a rule that Arizona must have one old, washed-up player each year?

What a terrible trade for the Diamondbacks. They have no chance of winning the division and they're just giving up guys that could help them in the future.

And their uniforms suck.

Gregory Pratt
12-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Randy Johnson sux kthnxby

Oblong
12-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Randy Johnson should have no trade value at all. He's done.

HotelWhiteSox
12-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Johnson probably won't make a difference and I wouldn't give up good prospects for him, especially if I'm Arizona, but I'd still take him now (w/ NY picking up some of the tab) over some of these guys that have been given insane deals this offseason. He'll probably do okay in the NL too, either the NL just sucks that bad, or 1 less batter makes that much of a big difference

soxinem1
12-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Contrary to some beliefs posted here, Johnson does not suck. He is a first ballot HOF'er and even though he is a total prick sometimes, I'd rather have him here right now than Vazquez, even at the tail end of his career. You can't argue with over 4500K's, 280 wins, and a .656 winning percentage. And he did win 34 games in two NYY seasons. He's one of the best LHP's in MLB history. He may not bring it like he once did, but as a 42 year old, he is a better option than the younger recent FA signees who majored in mediocrity most of their careers (except Zito) and cashed in big time. He's definitely better as his age than Tom Seaver, Don Sutton, and Steve Carlton were.

He did have 200 IP, 17 wins, and 172 K's in 2006, levels that nobody in this years FA SP class were able to achieve. He did it with a bad back as well. Most other SP's, especially this years FA group, would have shut themselves down.

True, ARZ should not give up so much AND take on another three years of salary, but honestly, he's pitched very well in Arizona in the past, and for $15 million, he's a better risk than Suppan, Meche, and Lilly.

SABRSox
12-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Randy Johnson should have no trade value at all. He's done.

He's not done. Put him back in the NL where he can face pitchers instead of a DH, and he'll do much better. He may not be as dominating as he once was, but he can still get hitters out and win games.

Palehose Pete
12-30-2006, 03:00 PM
True, ARZ should not give up so much AND take on another three years of salary, but honestly, he's pitched very well in Arizona in the past, and for $15 million, he's a better risk than Suppan and Lilly.

I agree with you that Johnson is not washed up, but this trade is horrible for the D-Backs. Giving up three young arms for one old arm that comes with a huge contract is not the way to build a franchise. And to compare the Johnson signing with the Lilly and Suppan signings is just comparing shades of dumbness.

soxinem1
12-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree with you that Johnson is not washed up, but this trade is horrible for the D-Backs. Giving up three young arms for one old arm that comes with a huge contract is not the way to build a franchise. And to compare the Johnson signing with the Lilly and Suppan signings is just comparing shades of dumbness.

I personally don't think any player is worth that kind of money, but if this is what the market is dictating, and if I was in the position to shell it out, I'll give Randy Johnson $45 million over the next three years before I give Gil Meche $55 million for the next five, three of which will be riddled with DL time.

BTW, Suppan and Lilly COMBINED will not have as many wins as RJ when they are done..... Guaranteed.

It's a great trade for the NYY. In a couple years they open their new place, pull in even more $$$$$, and will be able to buy every other team's best SP's and have baseball's first eight man starting rotation!!!

HotelWhiteSox
12-31-2006, 02:21 AM
supposedly radio in NY saying it's complete, RJ for a couple of prospects