PDA

View Full Version : Crasnick: Dye a Long Shot to Re-Sign with Sox

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-30-2006, 07:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2702125

Sigh. I sure hope the Sox approach Dye this Spring about an extension. I know he's always an injury risk, but his numbers last year exceeded even Vlad Guerrero's.

Whether or not the Sox resign him may be a litmus test for whether the Sox will be committed to spending major dollars to win, or whether they try the Oakland/Minnesota/Cleveland approach of heavy reliance on pre-arbitration talent. The obvious problem with the later approach is that the Sox do not draft nearly as well as thos organizations; our minor league system is highly mediocre.

(Another interesting tidbit: Crasnick thinks it's only 50/50 that Zambrano resigns with the Cubs. Heh.)

southside rocks
12-30-2006, 09:40 AM
I don't think Crasnick actually knows anything there, he's just filling up column space.

Whether or not the Sox will re-sign JD is a big question, and I hope that the club does come to an agreement that keeps JD in Chicago. Obviously, they're not going to give a 7-year contract to a guy who's 33 years old -- Jim Hendry isn't running this club, thank goodness -- but they could work out a shorter-term deal.

KW and JR have made it very plain that they won't do a long-term contract for a pitcher -- and I think that's quite sane and reasonable -- but they've never said that about a position player. They gave Konerko an excellent contract, and I have gotten the impression that they'd love to offer a multi-year deal to Crede, if only he'd have back surgery.

So I don't think it's an automatic that JD's gone after 2007. I hope not, anyway!

ondafarm
12-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Whether or not the Sox resign him may be a litmus test for whether the Sox will be committed to spending major dollars to win, or whether they try the Oakland/Minnesota/Cleveland approach of heavy reliance on pre-arbitration talent. The obvious problem with the later approach is that the Sox do not draft nearly as well as thos organizations; our minor league system is highly mediocre.

While the Sox may not draft well, if you've got three quality outfielders coming up or just arrived just being cheapskates like you seem quite ready to denigrate, seems like the smarter approach.

oeo
12-30-2006, 12:00 PM

Sigh. I sure hope the Sox approach Dye this Spring about an extension. I know he's always an injury risk, but his numbers last year exceeded even Vlad Guerrero's.

(Another interesting tidbit: Crasnick thinks it's only 50/50 that Zambrano resigns with the Cubs. Heh.)

I can't ****ing believe this bull****. What in the hell has gotten you the idea that they are going to spend like Oakland/Minnesota/Cleveland? These are the most ridiculous comments around here. Come talk to me when our payroll stoops that low, right now, it's not even close, and I highly doubt it will be anytime soon.

Frater Perdurabo
12-30-2006, 12:30 PM
I do not think that JD is an "injury risk" any more than any other player.

I'm not advocating letting him go at all.

Still, we Sox fans ought not become too sentimentally attached to players - even those who perform admirably and give us wonderful moments and memories. (I will admit that I have done this very thing over Frank Thomas, so it's the pot and the kettle...)
:redface:

The reality of the situation is that if JD puts up another season like his 2006, he's going to be worth a ton of money on the free agent market.

If you were KW and had money to afford to re-sign either Buehrle or Dye (but not both), who would you choose?

Let's hope it doesn't come to that and that Dye would choose to stick with the Sox on a three-year deal with a team option for a fourth and a fifth.

Frater Perdurabo
12-30-2006, 12:36 PM
...if you've got three quality outfielders coming up...

Dye or Buehrle may be the dilemma after 2007.

Crede or Garland may be the dilemma after 2008.

Knowing that the Sox don't have a Yankees-like budget, how KW chooses to answer these questions may hinge on the prospects in which he has the most faith to produce at the major league level (Sweeney or Danks, Fields or Gio, etc.).

DumpJerry
12-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Does Crasnick have this week's lottery numbers? Nobody can tell the future, espcially when it comes to injuries.

jabrch
12-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Who is Jerry Crasnick?

champagne030
12-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Dye or Buehrle may be the dilemma after 2007.

Crede or Garland may be the dilemma after 2008.

Knowing that the Sox don't have a Yankees-like budget, how KW chooses to answer these questions may hinge on the prospects in which he has the most faith to produce at the major league level (Sweeney or Danks, Fields or Gio, etc.).

:yup:

I think that you're right on the mark with that call.

RadioheadRocks
12-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Who is Jerry Crasnick?

Not to be confused with :cleo

Tragg
12-31-2006, 09:32 AM

We're spending 90-100 mill now on our ML club, in contrast to those teams.

I don't recall Cleveland's raging success under its current approach. A lot of their talent was aquired via trade (Colon), not draft. And at that, they've finished behind the Sox in each of the last 5 seasons and haven't made the playoffs.