PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone on the score..

JermaineDye05
12-29-2006, 01:07 PM
for anyone interested

Flight #24
12-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Nice teaser. Any recap?

JermaineDye05
12-29-2006, 02:29 PM
basically he just talked about both clubs and the Zito signing by the Giants. He said that one reason he believes the Sox traded Brandon was because he never truly developed his fastball with any movement, it was still the same fastball that if he didn't have enough velocity with it it was gonna be hit out of the ballpark. He also said that this is a pretty good trade for the White Sox and that people are judging it too early, Danks should be a very good middle of the rotation guy probably a number 3 who's fastball's comparable to Thornton's in speed just a little slower, and has a really good slider. Also stated that Masset is going to be one of the premier set up men in the majors.

ewokpelts
12-29-2006, 02:31 PM
basically he just talked about both clubs and the Zito signing by the Giants. He said that one reason he believes the Sox traded Brandon was because he never truly developed his fastball with any movement, it was still the same fastball that if he didn't have enough velocity with it it was gonna be hit out of the ballpark. He also said that this is a pretty good trade for the White Sox and that people are judging it too early, Danks should be a very good middle of the rotation guy probably a number 3 who's fastball's comparable to Thornton's in speed just a little slower, and has a really good slider. Also stated that Masset is going to be one of the premier set up men in the majors.but he also said to look at this trade at six months...that it looks bad NOW....

TheOldRoman
12-29-2006, 02:43 PM
basically he just talked about both clubs and the Zito signing by the Giants. He said that one reason he believes the Sox traded Brandon was because he never truly developed his fastball with any movement, it was still the same fastball that if he didn't have enough velocity with it it was gonna be hit out of the ballpark. He also said that this is a pretty good trade for the White Sox and that people are judging it too early, Danks should be a very good middle of the rotation guy probably a number 3 who's fastball's comparable to Thornton's in speed just a little slower, and has a really good slider. Also stated that Masset is going to be one of the premier set up men in the majors.
From what I have read, Danks looks like a future #1. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe Stone meant he might be a #3 on the Sox or Twins. Also, Thornton throws 97-98, and Danks is 91-93, IIRC. That isn't really comparable.

Daver
12-29-2006, 03:00 PM
From what I have read, Danks looks like a future #1. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe Stone meant he might be a #3 on the Sox or Twins. Also, Thornton throws 97-98, and Danks is 91-93, IIRC. That isn't really comparable.

Velocity does not directly equate to a good fastball, at one time Rocky Biddle had the best fastball on the Sox staff, but he didn't throw the hardest.

TheOldRoman
12-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Velocity does not directly equate to a good fastball, at one time Rocky Biddle had the best fastball on the Sox staff, but he didn't throw the hardest.
I understand that, but how does his fastball compare to Thornton's? Is it in the movement, because I thought Matt's was pretty straight?

Daver
12-29-2006, 03:24 PM
I understand that, but how does his fastball compare to Thornton's? Is it in the movement, because I thought Matt's was pretty straight?

Thornton is deceptively fast, his motion in no way reveals how hard he is throwing the ball, and he sets it up well against his other pitches. Danks basically does the same thing, how well, I wouldn't know, as I have yet to see him pitch.

TheOldRoman
12-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Thornton is deceptively fast, his motion in no way reveals how hard he is throwing the ball, and he sets it up well against his other pitches. Danks basically does the same thing, how well, I wouldn't know, as I have yet to see him pitch.
OK, thanks.

itsnotrequired
12-29-2006, 03:27 PM

I'm amazed every time I see Thornton pitch. He has such a smooth, fluid, effortless motion that it looks like he is just lobbing it in there. Then I look at the speed and its at 98.:o:

Gammons Peter
12-29-2006, 03:27 PM
he said Masset=Thornton not Denks

sox1970
12-29-2006, 03:43 PM
he said Masset=Thornton not Denks

Bobby Jenks

John Danks

Let's not start going down this road.

HotelWhiteSox
12-29-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm amazed every time I see Thornton pitch. He has such a smooth, fluid, effortless motion that it looks like he is just lobbing it in there. Then I look at the speed and its at 98.:o:

it's a thing of beauty

Vernam
12-29-2006, 04:59 PM
he said Masset=Thornton not DenksThat sounds right. One of the early wire stories after the trade said Danks throws high 90s, but I think it was a mistake -- every other story has said low 90s for him, with Masset more in the Thornton range. And I agree about raw speed being over-rated to a point. What makes Jenks so tough is all the movement he combines with pretty consistent high speeds. That's why he didn't get raked when his velocity dipped occasionally.

Vernam

Foulke You
12-29-2006, 05:49 PM
It is by far, the smoothest 98 mph heater you'll ever see. You look at guys like Mike MacDougal who wrench their whole body and sling it to throw it that hard and Thornton looks like he is just soft tossing it to the catcher for a new baseball.:D: Even the Hawkeroo who has been around the game forever says it is the easiest 97 mph he has ever seen and that is saying something considering how many pitchers he has viewed in his playing and broadcasting career.

SoxxoS
12-29-2006, 07:06 PM

You know who else does that but he can't stay healthy - Rich Harden.

Chisox003
12-29-2006, 07:12 PM
You should see him play long toss. Man soo needed 2 cut off men last year. :o: