PDA

View Full Version : the key for a successful 07 season...

JermaineDye05
12-29-2006, 11:57 AM
have at it

JohnTucker0814
12-29-2006, 12:03 PM
I think Buehrle is a huge key for our success. If we can count on him to get 16 wins, sub 4 era and 7-8 innins per start that will help out our bullpen tremendously! I think the thing we need to realize is that our bullpen was used a lot last year because our starters were out of the game in the 6th inning almost on a regular basis. If we can start throwing some complete games or go 8 innings we can use our bullpen how they are supposed to be used. The starters can make it easy on the bullpen by going a full 7 or 8 innings. It is a lot easier to start the inning as a reliever than to come in with runners on 1st and 2nd and no one out. Ozzie needs to do a better job of not "letting" his starter go out for the 7th or 8th inning when they are spent.

ondafarm
12-29-2006, 12:20 PM
I think this is the year that Buehrle wins 20 games.

FoxsMightyMite
12-29-2006, 12:22 PM
MB should come back strong this year if he has worked on an off-season conditioning program. If not expect to see a drop off.

ChiTownTrojan
12-29-2006, 12:38 PM
The key is the top of the rotation: Buehrle and Contreras. If they can dominate like they can, we'll again have one of the best rotations in baseball to go along with one of the best offenses.

rdwj
12-29-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm going with the pen. I think we have enough lumber to stay in games. The pen needs to be able to hold leads.

buehrle4cy05
12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Buehrle's going to be back next year. He's had the whole offseason to rest up and could be motivated to pitch for a massive contract. I'm also really not worried about the leadoff spot, as if Pods doesn't perform KW will go out and get somebody before June (just a hunch). You really don't need a whole lot of production out of the back of the order, and if BA comes back and hits the way he did the second half of the '06 season, the #9 slot will be fine.

The key really is going to be the young, hard-throwing bullpen. I'm not worried about MacDougal or Jenks. Can Thornton repeat 2006? Hopefully. Aardsma and Sisco have had limited time in the majors with varying success, and Masset has pitched around 10 innings at the MLB level. If the bullpen has success, then the Sox have success.

Mickster
12-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Pitching in general.

TheOldRoman
12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
:vazquez:

This is a big year for Vazquez. He has gone through a lot in his career, and despite what many people on here think, he hasn't been horrible. He has been about average, or a little better. He has spent one year with Coop, and this is the year he either breaks out or is doomed to be a career .500 pitcher. I saw how he improved of the last few months of the year, and I think he will become an ace in 07. We need Buehrle strong, but I don't think anyone aside from dark clouds and pants-pissers are predicting him to perform like 06. There is no reason to believe Contreras won't be healthy. If he is healthy, he will be a horse for us. If Vazquez puts it together, and I think he will, this team will be in the playoffs. I am predicting he will win 18 games.

ChiSoxLifer
12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
I agree with Vasquez improving. In the last two months, he sported a sub 4.00 era and in his last ten losses, the Sox scored less than two runs a game. If he got the same run support 87 mph heat Freddy got, Javier would've won 17 easily. In 13 of Freddy's 17 wins, the Sox scored 6 or more runs.

sox1970
12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Pitching in general.

Ditto.

Contreras and Buehrle need to be good from start to finish. The bullpen has to settle into roles, and get outs.

soxfan26
12-29-2006, 01:29 PM
The starting rotation.

fquaye149
12-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Ditto.

Contreras and Buehrle need to be good from start to finish. The bullpen has to settle into roles, and get outs.

double ditto...it's not just Burly's fault we didn't make the playoffs. It's him, Vazzy, Freddy and the bullpen's

the gooch
12-29-2006, 01:34 PM
The starting pitchers for our AA and AAA clubs.

I am hoping for Charlie Haeger in the starting rotation. The Sox have said they would prefer to evaluate Haeger in September '06 than Spring '07 because of Arizona's climate. He showed a lot of good things, so I believe Haeger is our guy unless someone really steps up to earn it in Spring Training.

(another plus is I would know what days he is pitching, and I love watching knuckleballers.)

itsnotrequired
12-29-2006, 01:39 PM
The starting pitchers for our AA and AAA clubs.

I am hoping for Charlie Haeger in the starting rotation. The Sox have said they would prefer to evaluate Haeger in September '06 than Spring '07 because of Arizona's climate. He showed a lot of good things, so I believe Haeger is our guy unless someone really steps up to earn it in Spring Training.

(another plus is I would know what days he is pitching, and I love watching knuckleballers.)

Does anyone know how Hall is at catching knuckleballers? Pierzynski isn't the best.

TheOldRoman
12-29-2006, 01:40 PM
I agree with Vasquez improving. In the last two months, he sported a sub 4.00 era and in his last ten losses, the Sox scored less than two runs a game. If he got the same run support 87 mph heat Freddy got, Javier would've won 17 easily. In 13 of Freddy's 17 wins, the Sox scored 6 or more runs.
But... but... but... you don't understand! Vazquez only won because of the offense. They bailed him out repeatedly! He was winning games with scores of 15-13!

buehrle4cy05
12-29-2006, 01:46 PM

This is a big year for Vazquez. He has gone through a lot in his career, and despite what many people on here think, he hasn't been horrible. He has been about average, or a little better. He has spent one year with Coop, and this is the year he either breaks out or is doomed to be a career .500 pitcher. I saw how he improved of the last few months of the year, and I think he will become an ace in 07. We need Buehrle strong, but I don't think anyone aside from dark clouds and pants-pissers are predicting him to perform like 06. There is no reason to believe Contreras won't be healthy. If he is healthy, he will be a horse for us. If Vazquez puts it together, and I think he will, this team will be in the playoffs. I am predicting he will win 18 games.

I like the way you think. He's got the stuff to do it, and he showed down the stretch that he can. Maybe he just needed a year to get readjusted to the AL, I don't know...but something tells me that he'll win his fare share of games this year.

skottyj242
12-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Isn't pitching the key to any succesful year?

sox1970
12-29-2006, 02:02 PM

Yes, but they need to lean on Buehrle and Contreras this year. If the Sox only play .500 ball in their starts, the Sox won't make the playoffs. If Jose and Buehrle combine for 65 starts, the Sox need to win 42-43 of them. That means consistent quality starts.

MarySwiss
12-29-2006, 02:49 PM
To paraphrase KW:
The key is to play the last game of the year...and win it!:cool:

chisoxfanatic
12-29-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm going with the elusive fifth starter spot. We won the World Series in 2005 because we had five quality starters who all gave us a shot at victories. In the couple years before that, we had the "fifth starter" problem, where we got very few wins from that spot, ultimately hindering our opportunities of getting to where we wanted to see this team. It is imperative to have a complete rotation to give yourself the greatest opportunity at success.

Chisox003
12-29-2006, 03:04 PM
The 11 or 12 pitchers, and each of them pitching to their capabilities for the entire 162 games (plus). The talent is certainly there. Now we need results.

whitesoxfan1986
12-29-2006, 04:31 PM

I like the way you think. He's got the stuff to do it, and he showed down the stretch that he can. Maybe he just needed a year to get readjusted to the AL, I don't know...but something tells me that he'll win his fare share of games this year.

I agree with the both of you. I have a gut feeling that Javy is going to win the Cy Young award next year, only because his performance will come out of nowhere. If the voters don't feel that way, than Johan SAnTANa will win it again.

SOXSINCE'70
12-29-2006, 04:36 PM
:burly
"Beuhrle's the name,Mark Beuhrle.If I suck in 2007,
man,are the White Sox doomed.But if I pitch the way
i'm capable of pitching,hoo boy,am I gonna get
PAID in 2008".

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-29-2006, 04:47 PM
If I could vote for everything, I would. However, since it's only a one response answer, I'm going to prioritize my vote into MB/ Bullpen. The least important to me is a "lethal" leadoff hitter, only because I think our team is powerful enough to leave that spot open for grabs for Pods/ Sweeney.

Daver
12-29-2006, 05:12 PM
If I could vote for everything, I would. However, since it's only a one response answer, I'm going to prioritize my vote into MB/ Bullpen. The least important to me is a "lethal" leadoff hitter, only because I think our team is powerful enough to leave that spot open for grabs for Pods/ Sweeney.

Sweeney is not a leadoff hitter, not even close.

santo=dorf
12-29-2006, 05:14 PM
First off, it's Vazquez.

Second of all, Garcia didn't win because of run support, in fact, he got less run support than Vazquez or the Overrated Garland.

Third, who really gives a **** about individual win totals for a pitcher?

Your argument about Vazquez's ERA being below 4.00 holds more water than anybody saying he will suck because he is a career .500 pitcher

Mohoney
12-29-2006, 05:22 PM
IMO, the keys are:

1) Getting rebound performances from Buehrle and Podsednik
2) Developing a continuity for our bullpen with well-defined roles

A better Buehrle, a better Pods, and a better bullpen goes a long way toward us winning this division.

Daver
12-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Second of all, Garcia didn't win because of run support, in fact, he got less run support than Vazquez or the Overrated Garland.

Garland is over rated how?

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Sweeney is not a leadoff hitter, not even close.
That's not my point. My point is, is that we can do WITHOUT a leadoff hitter, if it bolied down to that (under circumstances to which Kenny isn't going to leave untendered). Either one of those guy's mentioned would fit the role perfectly, not necessarily being leadoff men. Sorry, I didn't fully explain my reasoning.

jabrch
12-29-2006, 06:16 PM

Daver, there are folks here who call him one of the best pitchers in the league when his name comes up in trade talks. He had a 4.5 ERA last year and a 3.5 ERA the year before. That's decent, but he's not one of the best pitchers in the league despite his win totals. He's a #2 or #3 - not a legitimate #1.

Overrated? Garland? By some - yes.

santo=dorf
12-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Some people here wouldn't trade him as part of a package for Manny, A-Rod, or Tejada.
A good amount of people were calling him our 2006 "ace" and bashing Garcia's performance despite the fact that Garica in a "down" year (which he later admitted shoulder issues) had a season very similar and arguably better than the untouchable Garland. Garland was arguably our third best pitcher last season.

My sig also has a great point made by a fellow poster on how Garland is viewed in this market.

Oooh, but he won 18 games in back to back seasons.

Daver
12-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Daver, there are folks here who call him one of the best pitchers in the league when his name comes up in trade talks. He had a 4.5 ERA last year and a 3.5 ERA the year before. That's decent, but he's not one of the best pitchers in the league despite his win totals. He's a #2 or #3 - not a legitimate #1.

Overrated? Garland? By some - yes.

Is he one of the best in the league? No.

Is he a legit #1 starter? Not for the Sox.

Is a pitcher that can give you 200+ innings year in and year out without landing on the DL worth having in your rotation? Yes.

Daver
12-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Some people here wouldn't trade him as part of a package for Manny, A-Rod, or Tejada.
A good amount of people were calling him our 2006 "ace" and bashing Garcia's performance despite the fact that Garica in a "down" year (which he later admitted shoulder issues) had a season very similar and arguably better than the untouchable Garland. Garland was arguably our third best pitcher last season.

My sig also has a great point made by a fellow poster on how Garland is viewed in this market.

Oooh, but he won 18 games in back to back seasons.

Your sig is somewhat flawed then, Because Jon does not make 22 mil, he will make ten for 2007, and Ted Lilly wishes he could throw the innings that Jon does every year, and stay off the DL.

JB98
12-29-2006, 07:30 PM
I think the starting rotation as a whole is the key to 2007, so I voted for Mark Buerhle in this poll.

We scored enough runs last season. We'll score enough this season. What we need is for some pitchers to start shutting people down again.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-29-2006, 08:06 PM
The starting rotation.

That's what I believe. It starts with the guys going out there every fifth day. Buerhle is extremely important, but so are Contreras, Garland and Vasquez, as well as the mystery number 5 guy. As far as the offense goes, a comparison between '05 and '06 indicates that good pitching goes farther than good hitting. Giving up 3-4 runs per game wins more often than scoring 4-5 runs per game. Or as Hawk puts it, " It's not what you hit, but when you hit it. "

soxinem1
12-29-2006, 09:39 PM
The key for the 2007 White Sox is for the starting line up to perform to it's career norms, for the starting pitchers to do the same, and for the bullpen to do it's job.

Enough said.

drewcifer
12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Buehrle. If he's consistent and pitching well, it will all come together.

digdagdug23
12-29-2006, 10:52 PM
No, the key to a successful year is lots and lots of churros, and the reason I voted other. :redneck

SABRSox
12-29-2006, 10:58 PM
I think this is the year that Buehrle wins 20 games.

I think so too. Just have that feeling.

A. Cavatica
12-29-2006, 11:05 PM
All of the above.

Hitmen77
12-29-2006, 11:11 PM
The key for '07 will be the same as it was for '06 - Buehrle and Contreras. If those two had given us a solid performance througout '06, I believe the Sox would have been back in the playoffs regardless of our other issues (bullpen, Pods, BA, Uribe, etc.).

Likewise, I think our two top starters will again be the key to our success in '07.

Will MB come back strong in his contract year? It'll be very interesting to see how it turns out - not only for the Sox fortunes but for Buehrle's future with the team.

jabrch
12-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Is he one of the best in the league? No.

Is he a legit #1 starter? Not for the Sox.

Is a pitcher that can give you 200+ innings year in and year out without landing on the DL worth having in your rotation? Yes.

Agreed Daver. He's good. But there are some, who when the Garland to Tex/NYM rumors came out were calling him an ACE. If that's how he's looked at, he is overrated.

itsnotrequired
12-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Agreed Daver. He's good. But there are some, who when the Garland to Tex/NYM rumors came out were calling him an ACE. If that's how he's looked at, he is overrated.

If other teams view him as an ace and want to give us the world for him, then he is an ace.

If other teams view him as a #3 or #4 guy and want to lowball us, then he is an ace.

Result? He is an ace.

:redneck