PDA

View Full Version : Uribe NOT in the clear.

ChiTownTrojan
12-29-2006, 12:46 PM
I started a new thread because the old one had a misleading title. Based on the most recent news (which i guess is all we've got to go on), Uribe is clearly not off the hook yet.
Under Dominican law, suspects in criminal cases can be jailed preventatively while under investigation.

So I ask this: what do we do if this drags on into the season? I don't know how it works in the DR, but murder cases here generally aren't open-and-shut. If some people thought we had a hole at SS with Uribe there, now it's multiplied if we're going with Cintron.

hi im skot
12-29-2006, 01:09 PM
I started a new thread because the old one had a misleading title. Based on the most recent news (which i guess is all we've got to go on), Uribe is clearly not off the hook yet.

So I ask this: what do we do if this drags on into the season? I don't know how it works in the DR, but murder cases here generally aren't open-and-shut. If some people thought we had a hole at SS with Uribe there, now it's multiplied if we're going with Cintron.

Nobody got murdered.

rdwj
12-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Everything I've seen says he's in the clear. Unless you have an actual article that says differently, I'll assume he's got no problems.

ChiTownTrojan
12-29-2006, 01:28 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/12/new_evidence_in.html[/URL]

[URL]http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9894999 (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/1...idence_in.html)

These stories have already been posted. They were at the bottom of the "Uribe is in the clear" thread, which is why I started the new one because the more recent articles say the opposite.

esbrechtel
12-29-2006, 01:51 PM
we should have gotten michael young for mccarthy....

soxfan26
12-29-2006, 02:17 PM
we should have gotten michael young for mccarthy....

It would have been just as posible to acquire Cy Young circa 1895. Which would still leave us with a hole at SS...

ChiSoxLifer
12-29-2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.1800beisbol.com/archives/BarryBonds.bmpWell, that makes two of us.

Pasqua's Mailman
12-29-2006, 02:41 PM
My guess is that there is very little to this... Uribe is out of the country at this point and probably won't return unless he can come to some agreement with the court on how this will be handled...

Huisj
12-29-2006, 06:08 PM
It would have been just as posible to acquire Cy Young circa 1895.

I dunno, I'm not sure how well he'd adjust to the strike zone now, and he'd need a better slider . . . although, Coop could do some work on him and make him a star.

southside rocks
12-29-2006, 08:51 PM
I dunno, I'm not sure how well he'd adjust to the strike zone now, and he'd need a better slider . . . although, Coop could do some work on him and make him a star.

Yeah, Coop can usually help pitchers who have that dead arm thing going on.

dakuda
12-29-2006, 09:10 PM
http://sportsline.com/mlb/story/9894999

Just when you think things have cleared up...

hi im skot
12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Just when you thought there were enough threads covering this...

dakuda
12-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Just when you thought there were enough threads covering this...

Glad I could prove you incorrect.

Domeshot17
12-29-2006, 10:15 PM

As much as this could do a lot of harm to the team, its not like going from Uribe to Cintron would be a BIG deal. We would lose a little defense, gain more offenive consistency, wouldn't mean much. We wouldn't get the 15 homers, but we would get about .35-.40 more points of batting average

hi im skot
12-30-2006, 12:21 AM
Glad I could prove you incorrect.

You owe the mods a drink.

:D:

ondafarm
12-30-2006, 11:26 AM

As the starter of the old one with the supposedly misleading title, I disagree. Although Uribe could possibly be jailed, the DR wouldn't do that to a baseball player at Uribe's level. Pujols is more likely to be jailed for a traffic ticket. They will work something out.

Lip Man 1
12-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Some additional information:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061229sox,1,7327673.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

ondafarm
12-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Being compelled to be a witness is a far cry from being the defendant. Uribe may have argued with the guy but all the evidence (according to reports) indicates Uribe was not involved in the shooting.

Get Real! Domincans are as big baseball fans as anyone in the Caribbean.

maurice
01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
It appears that Uribe was subpoenaed as a witness. That's completely innocuous and not even close to a criminal indictment. The prosecutor says there's no evidence that Uribe was involved in the shooting.

PennStater98r
01-02-2007, 02:28 PM
ChiTownTrojan doesn't work for everyone's favorite New Paper in Chicago - does he?

ViPeRx007
01-02-2007, 05:00 PM
It appears that Uribe was subpoenaed as a witness. That's completely innocuous and not even close to a criminal indictment. The prosecutor says there's no evidence that Uribe was involved in the shooting.

Darn. I guess my nickname, Juan "Killing in the Name Of" Uribe is irrelevant now before it was even unveiled.

(and yes, I know, even if it was him, he never really killed anyone. Though when you shoot at somebody it's usually assumed that you were trying to)

BRDSR
01-02-2007, 06:29 PM
If some people thought we had a hole at SS with Uribe there, now it's multiplied if we're going with Cintron.

Although this is not the point of the thread, I'm not entirely convinced that Cintron starting at SS would be more of a hole than Uribe. Now, we'd be without a good utility infielder on the roster, so that would be a hole, but man for man I think Cintron could be a better SS than Uribe. Uribe's got a better arms and better range, and is a better defensive SS overall, but sometimes he makes me vomit at the plate. He's just not a disciplined hitter. The team has so many more options with Cintron at the dish than Uribe.

But back to the topic, I wouldn't get all bent out of shape about Uribe's legal troubles. Kenny and JR can always float a few Gs to someone down in the Dominican Republic to get him to Spring Training on time. I bet that works down there.