PDA

View Full Version : Darin Erstad

Mingo
12-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I think Darin Erstad would be a great addition to the Sox. I wonder what the collective wisdom of this forum thinks of that proposition at this stage in Erstad's career?

Here are the reasons why I think he is a plus to this year's Sox:

1) Erstad has a Golden Glove at both first base and in CF.
2) He is coming off injury (I know he has a lot of them), but the Sox seem to think Herm S. can cure anything.
3) Erstad has been a leadoff hitter and is a decent number 2 base stealer and a great base runner.
4) An defensive outfield late in a game of Dye RF, Erstand CF and Anderson LF would be the best denfensive outfield in baseball.
5) Erstad would be insurance at 1st base if Konerko gets injured - without haveing to use Thome.
6) ERstad is a grinder, a team leader and a great teammate.
7) KW has been after Erstad in the past and he doesn't seem to forget that when he has an opportunity to finally acquire a guy.
8) Signing Erstad prior to Sox fest would be a great PR move.
9) Only the Colorado Rockies are reportedly negoiating with Erstad and KW and sit back and match what the Rockies might pay and take ERstad based on the tiebreaker of being on a contender - another point of leverage KW likes to use.
10) In summary - Erstad would up grade CF, provide insurance at leadoff and 1st base, be part of a formidable defensive outfield in the late innings, give Ozzie a guy with good speed and baserunning credentials and he will be popular with the fans and can be obtained for something reasonable since the Angels didn't want to pay him $8 million and the world has not beaten a path to his door to sign him (kind of like Dye's situation a couple of years ago).

Rip away my fellow Sox fanatics. :)

Realist
12-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Wts?

itsnotrequired
12-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Darin Erstad for a bag of balls? Worth a try, I think.

soxinem1
12-28-2006, 10:02 PM
If they could get him for the right price, it would be worth it. He's obviouslynot an everyday player anymore, but spotted the right way, he would have some value. And he is a winner, which helps.

MVP
12-28-2006, 10:05 PM
I think its a great idea. I'm not sure he can cover the same amount of ground he once did, but he would make a great addition to the team. Particularly in that he is a "grinder".

itsnotrequired
12-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Time to ask the obvious question: What will it take to aquire him? Throw out your wild ideas.

ChiTownTrojan
12-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Darin Erstad for a bag of balls? Worth a try, I think.
What type of money is he looking for? Would he accept a role as a backup? If the Rockies are offering him the starting spot over Tavares, I'm sure he'd rather go there for equal money.

eriqjaffe
12-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Time to ask the obvious question: What will it take to aquire him? Throw out your wild ideas.Now is the perfect time for KW to finally make that Garland-for-Erstad deal!

Craig Grebeck
12-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Meh, I'm pretty sure Luis Terrero could post a .605 OPS.

A. Cavatica
12-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Erstad would up grade CF, provide insurance at leadoff and 1st base, be part of a formidable defensive outfield in the late innings, give Ozzie a guy with good speed and baserunning credentials and he will be popular with the fans and can be obtained for something reasonable since the Angels didn't want to pay him $8 million and the world has not beaten a path to his door to sign him (kind of like Dye's situation a couple of years ago).

I think it's a near miss. I doubt he'd come to Chicago for fourth-outfielder money (which I figure is less than $2M). If he's willing to sign an incentive-laden contract then he'd be worth considering.

He'd be an upgrade defensively in left, and he can still get by in center. The problem is he hasn't had a good year with the bat since 2000. Since then his OBPs have been .331, .313, .309, .346, .325, and .279 [in 95 AB]. He's no leadoff hitter, that's for sure.

We don't need another 1B (Mackowiak will do).

Anyway, he's not going to hit. The only way he'd start for us is if Pods and/or Anderson are even worse. That's conceivable, but I'd rather see us find a real upgrade.

The collective reaction to an Erstad signing would be "is this the best you can do?"

soltrain21
12-29-2006, 12:14 AM
That was a supurb outline. I expect your thesis on my desk by next Tuesday.

Domeshot17
12-29-2006, 12:40 AM
The search button is an awesome tool, we have the same thread with the exact same title.

That said, I would rather see Sweeney back up the OF and 1b and get himself 200 ABs and break into the pros easily.

oeo
12-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Time to ask the obvious question: What will it take to aquire him? Throw out your wild ideas.

Well, he's a free agent, so a reasonable contract would work.

fquaye149
12-29-2006, 02:15 AM
4) An defensive outfield late in a game of Dye RF, Erstand CF and Anderson LF would be the best denfensive outfield in baseball.

I'm pretty sure that Erstad is not a better defensive CF than Anderson.

Besides from that, I'm surprised at how much of your post I agree with

ChiTownTrojan
12-29-2006, 10:41 AM
The search button is an awesome tool, we have the same thread with the exact same title.

That said, I would rather see Sweeney back up the OF and 1b and get himself 200 ABs and break into the pros easily.
I'm not sure Sweeney can play CF reliably. At least we know Erstad can do that.

batmanZoSo
12-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Come on, if you're a true Score caller the proper spelling is Earnstadt.

Domeshot17
12-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Sweeney looked fine in CF during his call up last year and has plenty of room to grow.

itsnotrequired
12-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Well, he's a free agent, so a reasonable contract would work.

Oh, I know. Actually, this is one of the more sane proposals I have seen on here but it still doesn't give us a "better" leadoff hitter.

ChiTownTrojan
12-29-2006, 11:37 AM
I like the idea of getting Erstad if he'll accept a deal in the $2 million range. I think Kenny might even be able to go a little higher. I trust him when he says he's allowed to open the wallet to acquire a guy that could help the team. I also think he'd rather spend money then trade away pitching prospects to get Baldelli.

Craig Grebeck
12-29-2006, 12:07 PM
I like the idea of getting Erstad if he'll accept a deal in the $2 million range. I think Kenny might even be able to go a little higher. I trust him when he says he's allowed to open the wallet to acquire a guy that could help the team. I also think he'd rather spend money then trade away pitching prospects to get Baldelli.
How exactly would Erstad help this team?

fquaye149
12-29-2006, 01:28 PM
How exactly would Erstad help this team?

The answer he would give to you is in the first post of this thread.

If you think that any of those points are wrong, address them instead of asking a question answered in the first post

Craig Grebeck
12-29-2006, 02:13 PM
1) Erstad has a Golden Glove at both first base and in CF. Mackowiak can play first just fine, and we already have a gold glover in CF.
2) He is coming off injury (I know he has a lot of them), but the Sox seem to think Herm S. can cure anything. In his last full, healthy season he had an OPS+ of 89.
3) Erstad has been a leadoff hitter and is a decent number 2 base stealer and a great base runner. No better than Pods at leading off. What do you base your opinion on his base running on?
4) An defensive outfield late in a game of Dye RF, Erstand CF and Anderson LF would be the best denfensive outfield in baseball. As long as Anderson's in CF it would look pretty nice.
5) Erstad would be insurance at 1st base if Konerko gets injured - without haveing to use Thome. Great. We'd be replacing one of our three best hitters with one of our worst.
6) ERstad is a grinder, a team leader and a great teammate. I wish statements like this were questioned as much as others about a player's attitude. How do you know Erstad isn't a total prick?
7) KW has been after Erstad in the past and he doesn't seem to forget that when he has an opportunity to finally acquire a guy. Not necessarily a good thing.
8) Signing Erstad prior to Sox fest would be a great PR move. Not quite sure about that.
9) Only the Colorado Rockies are reportedly negoiating with Erstad and KW and sit back and match what the Rockies might pay and take ERstad based on the tiebreaker of being on a contender - another point of leverage KW likes to use. There's probably a reason only the Rockies are looking at him. He's aging, injury prone, and not very good to begin with.
10) In summary - Erstad would up grade CF, provide insurance at leadoff and 1st base, be part of a formidable defensive outfield in the late innings, give Ozzie a guy with good speed and baserunning credentials and he will be popular with the fans and can be obtained for something reasonable since the Angels didn't want to pay him $8 million and the world has not beaten a path to his door to sign him (kind of like Dye's situation a couple of years ago). Except Dye had been league average or better every full season prior to coming here, Erstad OTOH is zero for his last six.

ChiTownTrojan
12-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Mackowiak can play first just fine, and we already have a gold glover in CF.
In his last full, healthy season he had an OPS+ of 89.
No better than Pods at leading off. What do you base your opinion on his base running on? As long as Anderson's in CF it would look pretty nice.
Great. We'd be replacing one of our three best hitters with one of our worst. I wish statements like this were questioned as much as others about a player's attitude. How do you know Erstad isn't a total prick?
Not necessarily a good thing. Not quite sure about that.
There's probably a reason only the Rockies are looking at him. He's aging, injury prone, and not very good to begin with.
Except Dye had been league average or better every full season prior to coming here, Erstad OTOH is zero for his last six.

Pods and Anderson are not going to play every game. Erstad would be a good alternative. The best part is that we wouldn't have to give up any prospects to get him (unlike Baldelli or anyone else that has been mentioned on this board).

JB98
12-29-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure Sweeney can play CF reliably. At least we know Erstad can do that.

At this stage of his career? Not so sure about that. Four years ago, yeah.

I wouldn't be excited about an Erstad signing.

JB98
12-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Pods and Anderson are not going to play every game. Erstad would be a good alternative. The best part is that we wouldn't have to give up any prospects to get him (unlike Baldelli or anyone else that has been mentioned on this board).

I'd rather part with a couple prospects and get Baldelli.

Craig Grebeck
12-29-2006, 11:28 PM
It would be worth it to acquire a promising, cheap, rising star CF.

Erstad has nothing left.

thomas35forever
01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
My uncle just told me over the phone about a rumor that the Sox are going after him. Signing him for $2 million would be a bargain these days. My question is where in the field would he benefit most if we signed him?

mjmcend
01-08-2007, 05:52 PM
My uncle just told me over the phone about a rumor that the Sox are going after him. Signing him for $2 million would be a bargain these days. My question is where in the field would he benefit most if we signed him?

Does your uncle work at an airport?

JermaineDye05
01-08-2007, 05:56 PM

IF Kenny did sign him I could see him going to center field he did win a gold glove there once and is a good lefty bat to compliment Brian.

SABRSox
01-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Erstad is washed up. I don't even think he can play CF anymore.

barney27
01-09-2007, 07:29 AM
I think Darin Erstad would be a great addition to the Sox. I wonder what the collective wisdom of this forum thinks of that proposition at this stage in Erstad's career?

2) He is coming off injury (I know he has a lot of them), but the Sox seem to think Herm S. can cure anything.
3) Erstad has been a leadoff hitter and is a decent number 2 base stealer and a great base runner.
5) Erstad would be insurance at 1st base if Konerko gets injured - without haveing to use Thome.
7) KW has been after Erstad in the past and he doesn't seem to forget that when he has an opportunity to finally acquire a guy.
9) Only the Colorado Rockies are reportedly negoiating with Erstad and KW and sit back and match what the Rockies might pay and take ERstad based on the tiebreaker of being on a contender - another point of leverage KW likes to use.
10) In summary - Erstad would up grade CF, provide insurance at leadoff and 1st base, be part of a formidable defensive outfield in the late innings, give Ozzie a guy with good speed and baserunning credentials and he will be popular with the fans and can be obtained for something reasonable since the Angels didn't want to pay him $8 million and the world has not beaten a path to his door to sign him (kind of like Dye's situation a couple of years ago).

His ability to play center is in doubt, he has a flat tire so he has lost a step on the basepaths and range wise, he has not hit well in 5 yrs or so, and he is still injury prone. After saying all of that, it can't hurt maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. Give him a one year deal and a tryout in spring training, if he doesn't cut it, cut him. If he works out that is great.

caulfield12
01-09-2007, 09:52 AM
His ability to play center is in doubt, he has a flat tire so he has lost a step on the basepaths and range wise, he has not hit well in 5 yrs or so, and he is still injury prone. After saying all of that, it can't hurt maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. Give him a one year deal and a tryout in spring training, if he doesn't cut it, cut him. If he works out that is great.

For every Loaiza, there is a Gil Heredia, Armando Rios or Brian Daubach or Jeff Nelson

White Sox Randy
01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
My guess is that if Kenny wanted an Erstad,a Bernie Williams, a Preston Wilson or whatever then...the Sox would have one.

I have to believe that he is still trying to acquire a young player with upside.

The Sox are in pretty good shape right now. I see the backup CFer as the only need and if most of the Sox young pitchers start the season well, then Kenny will have a lot of teams coming to him.

champagne030
01-09-2007, 02:54 PM
My guess is that if Kenny wanted an Erstad,a Bernie Williams, a Preston Wilson or whatever then...the Sox would have one.

I have to believe that he is still trying to acquire a young player with upside.

The Sox are in pretty good shape right now. I see the backup CFer as the only need and if most of the Sox young pitchers start the season well, then Kenny will have a lot of teams coming to him.

And if I win the Mega Millions drawing tonight......Seriously, we better all pray that at least 3 or 4 are serviceable because we have a hole at 5th starter and the 4-6 (or 7 if you believe the Sox) spots in the bullpen.

A. Cavatica
01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
For every Loaiza, there is a Gil Heredia, Armando Rios or Brian Daubach or Jeff Nelson

Gil Heredia looks pretty good compared to Gavin Floyd. :(:

bigredrudy
01-15-2007, 08:13 PM

I think the Sox will sign h-just a hunchm

UserNameBlank
01-15-2007, 09:14 PM
I think the Sox will sign h-just a hunchm

If Erstad was a plan KW had he'd already be on the roster. IMO the only way Erstad is signed is if it is a minor league deal and he is brought into ST to compete with Terrero, possibly Owens, and maybe someone else for the backup CF job.

Daver
01-15-2007, 09:20 PM
If Erstad was a plan KW had he'd already be on the roster. IMO the only way Erstad is signed is if it is a minor league deal and he is brought into ST to compete with Terrero, possibly Owens, and maybe someone else for the backup CF job.

Jerry Owens is not a center fielder.

UserNameBlank
01-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Jerry Owens is not a center fielder.

Neither is Mackowiak.

Right now Terrero doesn't have anyone to compete with. It makes no sense for the Sox to put Sweeney on the opening day roster as a backup when he could be playing everyday in Charlotte, and I doubt the Sox are going to just hand the job to Terrero. The Sox already said Sweeney would be competing with Anderson for fulltime CF duties, but whoever loses the job would probably head to AAA. So, who else would provide competition besides Owens?

I don't want to see Owens out there either, but there's no way around it unless KW signs another CF or two for ST.

Daver
01-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Neither is Mackowiak.

Right now Terrero doesn't have anyone to compete with. It makes no sense for the Sox to put Sweeney on the opening day roster as a backup when he could be playing everyday in Charlotte, and I doubt the Sox are going to just hand the job to Terrero. The Sox already said Sweeney would be competing with Anderson for fulltime CF duties, but whoever loses the job would probably head to AAA. So, who else would provide competition besides Owens?

I don't want to see Owens out there either, but there's no way around it unless KW signs another CF or two for ST.

I highly doubt Sweeney will make the 25 man roster, and why does a backup OFer need to compete for the job of sitting on the bench? Perhaps Kenny is not going to sign anyone that plays center, and force Ozzie to not platoon Brian Anderson.

UserNameBlank
01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
I highly doubt Sweeney will make the 25 man roster, and why does a backup OFer need to compete for the job of sitting on the bench? Perhaps Kenny is not going to sign anyone that plays center, and force Ozzie to not platoon Brian Anderson.

That's possible, but with the way Ozzie rests his starters, especially when they are struggling, I doubt he would make Brian start the first 150 games or so. I guess Ozzie could platoon Sweeney and Brian together using Sweeney vs. righties and Brian vs. lefties, but IMO both guys are starters and a platoon situation would hurt their development more than help them. Ozzie already said Mackowiak won't be in CF anymore so he isn't an option.

The Sox could go into ST without competition for Terrero but since Terrero was given a contract that says he won't make as much if he doesn't make the 25 man, I would guess the Sox never planned on giving the job right to him. I do think he is the one to beat though.

My guess is KW looks over minor league free agents and signs a couple CF's to minor league contracts just to help push Terrero as I can't remember a time when the Sox have given a job to any non-major leaguer without making him win it first. Erstad could be a nice fit but I'd imagine he would ask for, at the very least, a guaranteed spot on the 25 man if he was a backup. Off the top of my head, Texas would be a good fit since 900 year old Kenny Lofton is their everyday starter.

Rockabilly
01-22-2007, 08:33 PM
The Marlins and White Sox are among the finalists for free agent Darin Erstad, who could pick his team this week.

Source Rotoworld.com

lakeviewsoxfan
01-22-2007, 08:41 PM
I am so excited

soxfan123
01-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Ahh. I'm not sure about this. He's so good defensively though.

Rockabilly
01-22-2007, 08:45 PM
He is not a bad choice to be our 4th OF and a backup 1B...

I can't see him picking the Marlins over the Sox because he has a great chance to get another ring if he plays for us.

Beer Can Chicken
01-22-2007, 08:51 PM
We need a veteran 4th OF and I think Erstad would be perfect.
I'm not sure why the Marlins would be interested in him. Maybe to play 1st?

AJ Hellraiser
01-22-2007, 08:58 PM
consumate professional, hard-nosed player, 4th OF, still good defensively, wouldn't be bad at the bottom of the order, cheap...

fine by me...

crazyozzie02
01-22-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah i dont have a problem with it either. its a good back-up plan. we get a rowand-like player with more experience and gives anderson someone to help with get better

oeo
01-22-2007, 09:29 PM
If he's content on being the 4th outfielder, and for the right deal...why not?

itsnotrequired
01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
If he's content on being the 4th outfielder, and for the right deal...why not?

Works for me. Mackowiak is serviceable as a 4th outfileder but Erstad is a much better option.

JermaineDye05
01-22-2007, 09:45 PM
if Erstad wants a chance at starting he'll sign with the Marlins, but if he wants to win he'll come here. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go with Florida though.

ondafarm
01-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Erstad would help make Anderson a better fielder. A veteran outfielder would make good sense to strengthen the team. It would probably leave Mack or Ozuna out of a spot though.

Corlose 15
01-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Erstad would help make Anderson a better fielder. A veteran outfielder would make good sense to strengthen the team. It would probably leave Mack or Ozuna out of a spot though.

Wouldn't he be taking Gload's roster spot?

Jjav829
01-22-2007, 10:00 PM
As a veteran outfielder to come in and provide some competition in center, or backup at 1st and center, why not? We know he's always been a KW favorite, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

santo=dorf
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Erstad is running on E. At this point he looks like a Podsednik minus the speed. Can he even play CF at this point in his career?

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Absolutely dreadful. He provides zero value.

StepsInSC
01-22-2007, 10:49 PM
News, per Roto:

The Marlins and White Sox are among the finalists for free agent Darin Erstad, who could pick his team this week.
The Angels remain in the running, though they won't offer as much playing time as the competition. The Cubs, like the A's, appear to be out of it, as they perfer Cliff Floyd for their outfield mix. The Marlins would give Erstad a chance to be their regular center fielder if he's interested in playing in Florida. The White Sox, who nearly acquired Erstad for Jon Garland prior to the Angels' 2002 World Series run, would have him battle Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney this spring. Jan. 22 - 8:04 pm et
Source: FOXSports.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6396994)

oeo
01-22-2007, 11:27 PM
News, per Roto:

The funniest part is about the Cubs: they're more content with Cliff Floyd? Yeah, Hendry, just stockpile a bunch of corner outfielders, maybe they will let you play four outfielders? :dunno:

btrain929
01-22-2007, 11:32 PM
when you think about all the ways we could use him (give days off to our CF Sweeney or Anderson, spot starts in CF, maybe even give Konerko a day off if Mack isnt swinging so well, i believe its another huge reward, low risk maneuver that i would not mind. were not going to be giving him a ton of money and hes not going to be taking someones roster spot that is gonna get anyone in an uproar. i'd rather see him push for some PT than Terrero, IMO. Terrero probably has more skill and possible upside, but hasnt proved it yet. And if the ChiSox and the Marlins are truly the teams its down to, I cant see Erstad choosing FL as i dont think they'll repeat the success they had last year.

btrain929
01-22-2007, 11:34 PM
consumate professional, hard-nosed player, 4th OF, still good defensively, wouldn't be bad at the bottom of the order, cheap...

fine by me...

i couldnt have said it better myself. thumbs up if this goes through. another low risk / high reward move that can do wonders for our squad.

btrain929
01-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Works for me. Mackowiak is serviceable as a 4th outfileder but Erstad is a much better option.

he IS servicable as a 4th outfielder (thinking of the corners). just not as a backup CF. enter darin....

chaotic8512
01-22-2007, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't be against picking him up if it were for the right price. But something really caught my eye with Erstad.

I was just taking a look at his career stats... his 2000 was a complete anomaly across the board! Take a look at some of the career highs he set, followed in parentheses by his second best effort:

AB: 676 (631, 2001)
H: 240 (177, 2002)
R: 121 (99, 1997 and 2002)
HR: 25 (19, 1998)
RBI: 100 (82, 1998)
SB: 28 (24, 2001)
AVG: .355 (.299, 1997) :o:
OPS: .951 (.839, 1998)

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Why not? KW isn't stupid enough to sign him to some obscene one year/ overpayed deal, so go for it.

maurice
01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
This would be a good move in theory.

We'd just have to pray that Ozzie doesn't try to give him 400 ABs if he's hitting .220.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-23-2007, 03:09 PM
According the Rotoworld, the Sox are one of two finalists for Erstad. I wouldn't mind this guy as a backup.

JorgeFabregas
01-23-2007, 03:35 PM
WSCR just reported that the White Sox WILL sign Erstad and that Pods is having groin surgery.

oeo
01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
WSCR just reported that the White Sox WILL sign Erstad and that Pods is having groin surgery.

He's having surgery now? Why wasn't this done awhile ago?

crazyozzie02
01-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Offical. Erstad is a sox. I believe this thread can be closed now.:D:

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 06:33 AM
He got signed to be the BACKUP CF!

itsnotrequired
01-26-2007, 07:37 AM
He got signed to be the BACKUP CF!

He got signed to play whatever position he will end up playing, be it LF, backup CF, starting CF or otherwise.

Spring Training will tell all...

caulfield12
01-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Remember, he recently won a Gold Glove at 1B too, and that prevents Thome from being exposed to injury out there.

itsnotrequired
01-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Remember, he recently won a Gold Glove at 1B too, and that prevents Thome from being exposed to injury out there.

Before the Erstad signing, Mackowiak would have spelled Konerko at first. Thome should only be playing first during interleague and even then only a few times.

caulfield12
01-26-2007, 09:01 AM
I think Mackowiak would be better than Sheffield and Giambi, but I wouldn't have been looking forward to it either.

Lillian
01-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Listening to K.W. and Erstad, it appears more likely that Erstad will be given every opportunity to earn the Center Field spot, even after Pods returns.
Erstad says that he is healthy, and that the Doctors have given him the "green light" to go all out.
K.W. was quite emphatic in his assessment of Erstad's prospects. He asserted that Erstad was in a similar position to Dye, when he joined the Sox. Both had a recent history of injuries, from which they had recovered.
Willams seems confident that Erstad is now healthy, and "still young enough to have all of his baseball skills in tact".
The G.M. also argued that you can't look at recent statistics, given the injuries. He seems convinced that Erstad can still play like he has in the past, when healthy.
Maybe I'm just "drinking the Cool Aid", but that is what I sincerely believe we will see. I also like the fact that he is only signed for one year, at a modest salary. That should keep him highly motivated, though Erstad's motivation has never been questioned.

It will be very interesting to see who will have the best year, in the group of Center Fielders who have joined new teams this year. It wouldn't surprise me if Erstad outperformed, Pierre, Roberts, and Mathews.

If he stays healthy, Erstad will likely play a lot more than many of you think. I'm also confident that he would become a huge fan favorite.
He's a lot easier to like than Anderson, who seems too cocky for such an unproven youngster. It's not hard to understand how Ozzie may have been a little disenchanted with him. His lack of humility probably rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

It seems very strange that after K.W. finally addressed the need for more offensive production in Center, in order to avoid the big hole at the bottum of the order, many on this site seem so unenthusiastic about this acquisition.
Those of you who were so concerned about not having a viable defensive alternative to B.A., in Center, should be even more enthusiastic.

You never know how these things will work out, but given the cost, and the potential upside, I really like this move more every day.

Chisox003
01-28-2007, 02:49 PM
It's not hard to understand how Ozzie may have been a little disenchanted with him. His lack of humility probably rubs a lot of people the wrong way.
Oh the irony...
:rolling:

Who are you, his mom? Get over yourself.