PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehrle and a torn rotator cuff

minutia
12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
My uncle told me last night that he heard on the Score last week that the reason that Mark Buehrle was so ineffective is that he may have been playing half of last season injured and now may have a torn rotator cuff. I realize that the Score was talking about this but does anyone think there may be any truth to it?
I apologize if this has been discussed. I did a search and it did not pop up.

Madvora
12-28-2006, 01:27 PM
My uncle told me last night that he heard on the Score last week that the reason that Mark Buehrle was so ineffective is that he may have been playing half of last season injured and now may have a torn rotator cuff. I realize that the Score was talking about this but does anyone think there may be any truth to it?
Sorry, but threads that start with "My uncle told me last night" aren't usually destined to last long.
There has been no official source as I know for anything like this. This seems to be a part of a conversation that was overheard, probably by a random Score caller just bringing up ideas. They will put anyone on the radio.

I apologize in advance if this turns out to be true in anyway. But as for now, I think this is all crap.

Ol' No. 2
12-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I apologize if this has been discussed. I did a search and it did not pop up.While theoretically possible, I see no reason whatsoever to put any credence to anything you hear on WSCR.

AuroraSoxFan
12-28-2006, 01:30 PM

I have had a lot of injuries. Several shoulder ones included. But a torn cuff has never been one of them. However, I have to imagine it would hurt like all hell. I would also think he would have been in quite a lot of noticeable discomfort if he tried to pitch on an injury like that. I have not heard any rumors regarding that type of injury with Buerhle. I sure hope that is nothing but one of many phony rumors flying around AM radio.

Luke
12-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Mark continually to insisted that he was healthy last year. It sounds like dopes throwing our theories.

CashMan
12-28-2006, 01:31 PM
I was listening, and someone told Larurence Holmes, that he said, "Don't be surprised if 1 of the LHers comes up with a rotator cuff injury". The caller went on to support this with the recent LHP prospects Kenny has received in the recent trades. I think if he had that injury, he would feel a lot of pain.

Luke
12-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I have had a lot of injuries. Several shoulder ones included. But a torn cuff has never been one of them. However, I have to imagine it would hurt like all hell. I would also think he would have been in quite a lot of noticeable discomfort if he tried to pitch on an injury like that. I have not heard any rumors regarding that type of injury with Buerhle. I sure hope that is nothing but one of many phony rumors flying around AM radio.

I just got diagnosed with one. The pain can range any where from 2-10 on a scale of 1-10. Still, I wouldn't put any credence to what that caller said.

thomas35forever
Mark continually to insisted that he was healthy last year. It sounds like dopes throwing our theories.
"Dopes throwing theories?" Come on! That "pennies in a jar" theory was perfectly rational!!!

Ol' No. 2
I was listening, and someone told Larurence Holmes, that he said, "Don't be surprised if 1 of the LHers comes up with a rotator cuff injury". The caller went on to support this with the recent LHP prospects Kenny has received in the recent trades. I think if he had that injury, he would feel a lot of pain.So to sum up the logic:

1. Kenny got a number of LH pitching prospects, so therefore,

2. One of the current LHers has a rotator cuff injury.

Impeccable WSCR logic. Unfortunately, all too common.

AuroraSoxFan
12-28-2006, 01:37 PM
I just got diagnosed with one. The pain can range any where from 2-10 on a scale of 1-10. Still, I wouldn't put any credence to what that caller said.

Sorry to hear that. hope it heals ASAP for you.

Luke
12-28-2006, 01:37 PM
So to sum up the logic:

Who would ever want a LH prospect otherwise? They're not very valued in baseball

INSox56
12-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Freddy said the same exact thing last year but once he got traded said that he had been suffering from fatigue and tendinitis. Yeah, I guess "feeling fine and great"=tendinitis. I don't listen to much that many players/GMs/Mgrs say because they can tell us anything, they don't owe anything to us. Be that as it may, I don't believe it at all.

Ol' No. 2
12-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Freddy said the same exact thing last year but once he got traded said that he had been suffering from fatigue and tendinitis. Yeah, I guess "feeling fine and great"=tendinitis. I don't listen to much that many players/GMs/Mgrs say because they can tell us anything, they don't owe anything to us. Be that as it may, I don't believe it at all."Feeling fine" is relative. All pitchers have a certain amount of fatigue and soreness by August. Was it any worse than normal? If he's telling himself he's fine, he's likely to believe the soreness he feels is normal. If he's searching for an excuse later, he can tell himself it was worse than normal. It's completely subjective and heavily influenced by what a player wants to be true.

southside rocks
12-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Freddy said the same exact thing last year but once he got traded said that he had been suffering from fatigue and tendinitis. Yeah, I guess "feeling fine and great"=tendinitis. I don't listen to much that many players/GMs/Mgrs say because they can tell us anything, they don't owe anything to us. Be that as it may, I don't believe it at all.

"Feeling fine" is relative. All pitchers have a certain amount of fatigue and soreness by August. Was it any worse than normal? If he's telling himself he's fine, he's likely to believe the soreness he feels is normal. If he's searching for an excuse later, he can tell himself it was worse than normal. It's completely subjective and heavily influenced by what a player wants to be true.

Also, tendinitis is very often a chronic condition -- Jim Thome has it in his wrist, and heck, I have it in my right hand. When it flares up, it's bothersome. Other times, no big deal. A cortisone shot takes care if it most of the time. (Jim Thome and I go to the same ortho doctor for our shots, I found out last fall.)

A torn rotator cuff is not like tendinitis. It's a pretty serious injury and I can't imagine that any pitcher would insist for 2-3 months that he felt fine, if he had a torn rotator cuff. He'd be risking his entire future career, and that'd be awfully dumb of him.

CashMan
12-28-2006, 02:04 PM
So to sum up the logic:

It was actually the caller who made all the points, Laurence kinda thought it was interesting.

Ol' No. 2
12-28-2006, 02:05 PM
It was actually the caller who made all the points, Laurence kinda thought it was interesting.Anyone with two working brain cells would think it was dumb.

veeter
12-28-2006, 02:08 PM
MY neighbor's, nephew's, uncle heard that Mark Buehrle was simply out of shape last year. He threw many innings en route to a world championship. He got married in the off-season. He then basically basked in the glory of being THE main horse, on the best team in baseball. In summary: he lived it up. When it came time to prepare for 2006, he may have taken it for granted a little. Also heard was; Mark's arm is fine and Chicago radio guys are stupid.

Luke
12-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Sorry to hear that. hope it heals ASAP for you.

Thanks!

eriqjaffe
12-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but there's a guy over at Baseball Think Factory (http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/search/results/679a70bfd1b664b8ac043359038cf15a/) (a former minor-league pitcher) that did a series of blogs analyzing pitcher's mechanics. He contacted my brother (who also writes on BBTF) looking for some video of Mark Buehrle to see if he could spot any mechanical differences before & after the All-Star Break.

He decided not to do a write-up, since he didn't notice any mechanical changes at all. If Buehrle was pitching hurt, it wasn't affecting his pitching motion. Not that it acutally proves anything, really.

Chicken Dinner
12-28-2006, 03:41 PM
I thought it was just a bad case of bad location, a curable condition that usually lasts about a season.

SOXSINCE'70
12-28-2006, 03:41 PM
:whatever:

It sounds like:bs:to me.

munchman33
12-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I didn't realize Bruce Levine was allowed to call the score. :dunno:

gosox41
12-28-2006, 08:00 PM

I heard the caller call in to Holmes' show about it. What's sadder is Holmes seemed to believe it, but he seems to contradict himself every other sentence.

My guess is the Sox probably performed some end of year physical on all the players, or at the very least examined him before the picked up his option.

If he had a torn rotator cuff, I doubt the Sox would have picked up the option. They may have renegotatied his contract giving him a couple of years at a lower base plus incentives but KW wouldn't be dumb enough to pay $9.5MM to a pitcher he knows has a potentially career ending injury.

Bob

Save McCuddy's
12-28-2006, 08:54 PM
I heard the caller call in to Holmes' show about it. What's sadder is Holmes seemed to believe it, but he seems to contradict himself every other sentence.

He loves to hear himself talk as much as Coppock did in his hey day. If it takes contradicting himself every so often, he's more than willing.

slavko
12-28-2006, 09:56 PM
He loves to hear himself talk as much as Coppock did in his hey day. If it takes contradicting himself every so often, he's more than willing.

Laurence tries to be a "good host" by not cutting off his listeners when they talk blather. This is what you get because of it. Don't believe anything unless you see it at WSI.

DSpivack
12-29-2006, 12:26 AM
I was playing Baseball Mogul and Buehrle got injured with a torn rotator cuff, out 16 months. Perhaps it's an omen.

harwar
12-29-2006, 09:04 AM
2006 was the first season that players were not allowed to take their precious "greenies".
Now i may not be as sharp as i once was,but it seems to me that Mark and a whole lot of players around the league were dragging their butts on and off the field.
I took amphetamines,for a time,when i was a commercial fisherman and i got very tired when i stopped taking them.

Flight #24
12-29-2006, 09:28 AM
[Phil Rogers]I can safely report that Mark Buehrle does indeed have a torn rotator cuff. I know this because no one in the Sox organization has told me that he doesn't have a torn cuff. Hiding this from the fans is just another despicable Reinsdorfian move by this organziation [/Phil Rogers]

:rolleyes:

eriqjaffe
12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
I was playing Baseball Mogul and Buehrle got injured with a torn rotator cuff, out 16 months. I've been playing Out Of The Park, it's 2017, and the 38-year-old Buehrle has tallied 329 career wins so far.

SBSoxFan
12-30-2006, 12:30 AM
I've been playing Out Of The Park, it's 2017, and the 38-year-old Buehrle has tallied 329 career wins so far.

All in a White Sox' uni I hope.

drewcifer
12-30-2006, 12:36 AM
[Phil Rogers]I can safely report that Mark Buehrle does indeed have a torn rotator cuff. I know this because no one in the Sox organization has told me that he doesn't have a torn cuff. Hiding this from the fans is just another despicable Reinsdorfian move by this organziation [/Phil Rogers]

:rolleyes:

Almost wasted intelligence and humor in this post... almost.

Save McCuddy's
12-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Laurence tries to be a "good host" by not cutting off his listeners when they talk blather. This is what you get because of it. Don't believe anything unless you see it at WSI.

I agree that he is conscientious to his callers, but during regular air time, he is an unequivocal ham who can't stop practicing his radio voice.