PDA

View Full Version : White Sox and Alex Cintron agree on one-year contract

Chrisaway
12-27-2006, 12:57 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061227&content_id=1767940&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

thomas35forever
12-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Good move. Uribe now has his backup in case his wife has another baby.:D:

LuvSox
12-27-2006, 01:00 PM
I have Gload love for Cintron.

veeter
12-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Very nice.

asboog
12-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Great! I love having Alex as a back up.

eriqjaffe
12-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Good move. Uribe now has his backup in case somebody else gets too close to his Jeep.:D:Always glad to see the Sox avoid arbitration, and Cintron is a tremendous asset to the team.

XplodingScorbord
12-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Thumbs up. Versatile enough player, good price.

spiffie
12-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Good deal for the Sox. Keeps a versatile guy who doesn't seem to be unnerved in pressure situations around at an affordable price.

Slats
12-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Nice!

julio-cruz
12-27-2006, 03:21 PM
One year $1.9 million dollar contract per ESPN.

ShoelessJoeS
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM
I loved watching Absolut Alex in clutch situations last year. Glad to see him back, and at such a reasonable price.

Nice move KW

Fake Chet Lemon
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Kenny making more big moves to stop at nothing short of a World Series in 2007. World Series or bust in '07 for Reinsdorf!!!

OK........Cintron is our most valuable backup between Crede's back and Juan Uribe in general. Good move.

SoxxoS
12-27-2006, 03:28 PM
The Japanese just bombed Pearl Harbor

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 03:33 PM
The Japanese just bombed Pearl Harbor

:rolling:

Gavin
12-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Y-A-W-N

Lamest offseason ever.

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Y-A-W-N

Lamest offseason ever.

:rolleyes:

Gavin
12-27-2006, 03:39 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ShoelessJoeS
12-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Y-A-W-N

Lamest offseason ever.Lame post.

Lame signature.

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 03:48 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

All right, I'll bite. What were you expecting this offseason? The team only needed some tweaking. Thome, Konerko, Vazquez, Garland, Contreras, Pierzynski, Uribe and Mackowiak were under contract before the off-season even began. Picking up the options of Dye, Buehrle and Iguchi and declining the option on Hermanson were no-brainer moves. The Podsednik, Ozuna and MacDougal contracts were not unexpected. The Sox needed a backup catcher and got one. They needed to shore up the bullpen and addressed it by trading for Sisco and Aardsma. So now Cintron has been picked up and I know I'm not the only one who saw this coming. A good bench guy available on the cheap.

What more are you looking for?

digdagdug23
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
All right, I'll bite. What were you expecting this offseason? The team only needed some tweaking. Thome, Konerko, Vazquez, Garland, Contreras, Pierzynski, Uribe and Mackowiak were under contract before the off-season even began. Picking up the options of Dye, Buehrle and Iguchi and declining the option on Hermanson were no-brainer moves. The Podsednik, Ozuna and MacDougal contracts were not unexpected. The Sox needed a backup catcher and got one. They needed to shore up the bullpen and addressed it by trading for Sisco and Aardsma. So now Cintron has been picked up and I know I'm not the only one who saw this coming. A good bench guy available on the cheap.

Fireworks, gizmos and gadgets. Light it up!!!

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Lame post.

Lame signature.

I disagree on both counts.

ShoelessJoeS
12-27-2006, 04:03 PM
I disagree on both counts.Revert to post #15.

Vernam
12-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I wonder how many other backup infielders are making about $2M per year. So much for KW writing off 2007 . . .

Vernam

santo=dorf
12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5071&d=1167254398

Chisox003
12-27-2006, 04:21 PM

INR, why are you wasting your precious time with a :dtroll:?

A lame :dtroll: to boot.

Good move. Cintron's a stud.

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 04:27 PM
INR, why are you wasting your precious time with a :dtroll:?

I'm home sick. All I have is time.

:cool:

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 04:31 PM
[quote=Chisox003;1449780]INR, why are you wasting your precious time with a :dtroll:?

A lame :dtroll: to boot.

Just 'cause a poster wants to stir things up, doesn't mean he/she's a troll. He, like the rest of us, are waiting for that "big deal", to justify the trades of Garcia and BMac. I thougt the same thing when I heard it, BFD.

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Just 'cause a poster wants to stir things up, doesn't mean he/she's a troll. He, like the rest of us, are waiting for that "big deal", to justify the trades of Garcia and Fingernails on a blackboard. I thougt the same thing when I heard it, BFD.

If those "big deals" are on par with Gil Meche and Ted Lily, then KW should have his pants pulled down and spanked with moon rocks.

Gavin
12-27-2006, 05:13 PM
If those "big deals" are on par with Gil Meche and Ted Lily, then KW should have his pants pulled down and spanked with moon rocks.

Last time I checked, GMs can make "trades" that let them work outside of the free agent market.

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Last time I checked, GMs can make "trades" that let them work outside of the free agent market.

You don't say.

Trade, FA acquisition, whatever. I don't see KW going bananas this off-season based on the recent moves. Feel free to post any wild trades ideas in What's The Score.

Gavin
12-27-2006, 05:27 PM
You don't say.

Trade, FA acquisition, whatever. I don't see KW going bananas this off-season based on the recent moves. Feel free to post any wild trades ideas in What's The Score.

Your last post seemed to imply that "action" was synonomous with ****ty FA pickups, based on the examples you gave. I'm just calling you out on that. I'm not a GM, so I don't have any unfounded wild trade ideas.. it's not a question of whether there is a market or not, it's more of a question of what the buyer is willing to pay.

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Your last post seemed to imply that "action" was synonomous with ****ty FA pickups, based on the examples you gave. I'm just calling you out on that. I'm not a GM, so I don't have any unfounded wild trade ideas.. it's not a question of whether there is a market or not, it's more of a question of what the buyer is willing to pay.

Unless KW has some crazy scheme brewing, I think he has made it clear that he isn't willing to overpay for anything.

soxinem1
12-27-2006, 05:42 PM

Agree 100%. Was anyone hoping for an overhaul, or to aquire six stud relievers for spare parts? Sisco and Aardsma were probably two of the better guys out there stuff-wise to get.

Did Politte, Cotts, Vizcaino, Hermanson, Shingo, and Marte look good enough to lead the 2005 team to the World Series at this time in 2004? I like this group stuff-wise much better. And they will cost less than the Royals will be paying to Octavio Dotel in 2007.

And as far as Cintron is concerned, I hope his staying on will light a fire under the collective behinds of Iguchi and Uribe to get in shape, or they will be the back-ups, not him.

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 06:06 PM

I guess it's your perogative to be a smart ass...

I'm waiting for a trade where we can fill a position need by using some of this frickin' young pitiching talent we now have. We don't possibly have the resources to develop all of these pitchers. We're starting to look like the Mr. T of baseball. We've got all these gold chains on our neck, but we're still missing sleaves on our shirt.

Rockin Robin
12-27-2006, 06:10 PM
http://danielosullivan.com/lemonhead.png

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm waiting for a trade where we can fill a position need by using some of this frickin' young pitiching talent we now have. We don't possibly have the resources to develop all of these pitchers. We're starting to look like the Mr. T of baseball. We've got all these gold chains on our neck, but we're still missing sleaves on our shirt.

:?:

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 06:42 PM
:?:

What's your point?

Logan
Floyd
Haeger
Sisco
Aardsma
Masset
Danks
Broadway
Gonzales
Sierra

I personally don't think we can effectively work on all of these "projects".

digdagdug23
12-27-2006, 06:51 PM
What's your point?

Logan
Floyd
Haeger
Sisco
Aardsma
Masset
Danks
Broadway
Gonzales
Sierra

Pitchers are like children. Very rarely do they maintain well on their own and are always in need of reminders, tweaking, praise, and cajoling. All pitchers are projects, and you can say that about 95% of all pitchers in the game from pee-wee all the way to the majors. We have no idea how big of a project any or all the aforementioned pitchers on your list, so why project a view that has not even been validated?

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 06:56 PM
What's your point?

Logan
Floyd
Haeger
Sisco
Aardsma
Masset
Danks
Broadway
Gonzales
Sierra

As of now, one of these guys will be the fifth starter and two or three of the others will be in the pen. If the Sox farm system can't "handle" the six or seven pitchers remaining in your list, the Sox organization has some major problems.

HomeFish
12-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I thought Sierra = He Gone?

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Pitchers are like children. Very rarely do they maintain well on their own and are always in need of reminders, tweaking, praise, and cajoling. All pitchers are projects, and you can say that about 95% of all pitchers in the game from pee-wee all the way to the majors. We have no idea how big of a project any or all the aforementioned pitchers on your list, so why project a view that has not even been validated?

I agree with you. But we've now traded 2 pitchers from our '07 rotation. These return players are now going to we critqued beyond the norm and rightfully so. Again, I personally think we have our hands full now. It reminds me of a few years back when we had about 6 "future all-star" outfielders.

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 07:05 PM
I thought Sierra = He Gone?

You're correct. My mistake.

DSpivack
12-27-2006, 07:09 PM
I agree with you. But we've now traded 2 pitchers from our '07 rotation. These return players are now going to we critqued beyond the norm and rightfully so. Again, I personally think we have our hands full now. It reminds of a few years back when he had about 6 "future all-star" outfielders.

Huh? Not only does that statement not make any sense, Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, and Vazquez are returning from last season.

As for a "5th starter" issue, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, et al are MUCH more talented than Dan Wright, Josh Stewart, and company. Just because we have gathered quite a bit of young pitching talent does not mean we should give it up. In a market where Ted freaking Lilly is getting $10M+, there is perhaps no better asset than young, talented pitching that is ready or close to ML-ready. Danks, Floyd, and others fit this role.

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Huh? Not only does that statement not make any sense, Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, and Vazquez are returning from last season.

As for a "5th starter" issue, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, et al are MUCH more talented than Dan Wright, Josh Stewart, and company. Just because we have gathered quite a bit of young pitching talent does not mean we should give it up. In a market where Ted freaking Lilly is getting $10M+, there is perhaps no better asset than young, talented pitching that is ready or close to ML-ready. Danks, Floyd, and others fit this role.

We basically had 6 interchangable starters for the "07 rotation. That what I meant.

Having an abundance (sp?) of pitching is fine. But you can only use so many of them. We need to package some for more everyday help.

Daver
12-27-2006, 07:30 PM
I agree with you. But we've now traded 2 pitchers from our '07 rotation. These return players are now going to we critqued beyond the norm and rightfully so. Again, I personally think we have our hands full now. It reminds me of a few years back when we had about 6 "future all-star" outfielders.

You're wrong.

They traded one pitcher from their 2007 rotation, Freddy "I only really prepare for big games" Garcia. Brandon McCarthy was not guaranteed a place on that rotation.

I doubt Kirk Champion will have a problem developing the rest of them.

schmitty9800
12-27-2006, 07:31 PM
We basically had 6 interchangable starters for the "07 rotation. That what I meant.

Having an abundance (sp?) of pitching is fine. But you can only use so many of them. We need to package some for more everyday help.
Great, but we'll agree to disagree :). I'd rather go into the season with the same core as last year then see who's underperforming. If Uribe continues his downward trend, then we can start Cintron and consider a trade midseason for help. If BA starts dragging us down, we can start Mack and consider a trade midseason for help. If there's an injury, we can keep our options open. Remember, defense and offense were rarely our problems last year, the pitching was the largest problem.

Daver
12-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Great, but we'll agree to disagree :). I'd rather go into the season with the same core as last year then see who's underperforming. If Uribe continues his downward trend, then we can start Cintron and consider a trade midseason for help. If BA starts dragging us down, we can start Mack and consider a trade midseason for help. If there's an injury, we can keep our options open. Remember, defense and offense were rarely our problems last year, the pitching was the largest problem.

Better yet, make Cintron the starter in ST, and light a fire under Uribe's ass to perform or sit.

fquaye149
12-27-2006, 07:42 PM

I love how people, at the slightest hint that something is going to be like a year when we were unsuccessful, will immediately jump to the conclusion that things will be like that year, no matter how much evidence suggests the contrary.

i.e. "I don't want another power hitter. We had a lot of power hitters from '01-'04 and we didn't make the playoffs." Of course they neglect to acknowledge that the reasons we didn't have success those years were because of no depth in the lineup or on the bench and mediocre to poor pitching.

Now we have "we didn't know who our fifth starter was in '03 or '04 so that means that we will have another 5th starter debacle just like it in '07" And of course now we're neglecting to acknowledge that not a one of the pitchers who pitched in in '03 or '04 were ever thought to be worth a damn (except for Jon Rauch...but after his injury he was not thought to be worth a damn)

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 07:48 PM
You're wrong.

They traded one pitcher from their 2007 rotation, Freddy "I only really prepare for big games" Garcia. Brandon McCarthy was not guaranteed a place on that rotation.

I disagree. All year long we heard how a pitcher was going to be moved so McCarthy could pitch. Probably a BS statement, the way things have turned out, but a statement none the less.

How about McCarthy in a package for Michael Young or Crawford? I'm not ready to build a statue for KW until he truthfully answers why McCarthy went from untouchable to being dealt for more prospects.

Daver
12-27-2006, 07:59 PM
I disagree. All year long we heard how a pitcher was going to be moved so McCarthy could pitch. Probably a BS statement, the way things have turned out, but a statement none the less.

How about McCarthy in a package for Michael Young or Crawford? I'm not ready to build a statue for KW until he truthfully answers why McCarthy went from untouchable to being dealt for more prospects.

When Freddy was dealt, Kenny Williams was quoted, "This gives Brandon a chance to compete for a spot in the rotation", how does that equate to being guaranteed a spot in the rotation?

If you go a little further back, Kenny also said he would not trade a pitcher without recieving pitching back in the deal, last time I checked, Young and Crawford can't pitch.

You tell me, was their legit pitching talent packaged in the return package for either Crawford or Young, since you seem to know so much on the subject?

digdagdug23
12-27-2006, 08:01 PM

Ah, but from whom did you hear that? Not from Ozzie, and certainly not from Kenny. Kenny has never said anyone was untouchable, and while he may have said that at one point they were not willing to trade McCarthy, this does not mean he was staying in black for the rest of his career.

Why would you willing trade a decent pitcher for an outfielder who is going to be severely over-priced? Making trades just for the sake of making them is just dumb. While I think Crawford or A-Rod would be a great addition to the Sox, I am not willing to dump money down the toilet at the possible expense of losing the likes of Crede, or Dye, or anyone else we would potentially lose because of too much hope and padding of a wallet placed unduly in one player.

TheOldRoman
12-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Not with a name like that!:D:

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Ah, but from whom did you hear that? Not from Ozzie, and certainly not from Kenny. Kenny has never said anyone was untouchable, and while he may have said that at one point they were not willing to trade McCarthy, this does not mean he was staying in black for the rest of his career.

Last July:

The baseball world was all abuzz at midday yesterday with reports that the Sox were on the verge of acquiring Washington Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano in exchange for a package centered on pitcher Brandon McCarthy and centerfielder Brian Anderson. Talk quickly cooled down, however, and Kenny Williams took the unusual step of all but proclaiming McCarthy untouchable. "I have no intention whatsoever of trading [McCarthy] in any sort of deal," Williams said yesterday. "He's very much a part of our future... . Brandon is not going anywhere."

So yes, he basically stated he was untouchable.

I'll take Crawford over BA any day. And why would I take this "overpriced" player? Because we just saved 10 mill from dumping Freddy.

digdagdug23
12-27-2006, 08:27 PM
I'll take Crawford over BA any day. And why would I take this "overpriced" player? Because we just saved 10 mill from dumping Freddy.

But, you save 10 million, how about retaining Crede? It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Pitching for anything other than pitching, IMO is dumb.

and Kenny Williams took the unusual step of all but proclaiming McCarthy untouchable.

You don't get to pick and choose what part of the statement you pay attention to. It was what was going on at the time, much less 6 months removed. July and December are very different months and times of the year. While he may have thought the kid was a valuable part of the future, he got a twofer.

Daver
12-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Posting in a huge font adds a lot to the strength of your weak debate.

kwkonsl
12-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Last July:

The baseball world was all abuzz at midday yesterday with reports that the Sox were on the verge of acquiring Washington Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano in exchange for a package centered on pitcher Brandon McCarthy and centerfielder Brian Anderson. Talk quickly cooled down, however, and Kenny Williams took the unusual step of all but proclaiming McCarthy untouchable. "I have no intention whatsoever of trading [McCarthy] in any sort of deal," Williams said yesterday. "He's very much a part of our future... . Brandon is not going anywhere."

We in reality didnt save any money from dumping Freddy. His contract has been filtered in to all the arbitation elgible players we had. McDougal, Pods, Cintron, Pablo to name a few and we can also expect a raise from last years salary to Crede. Our payroll is already higher than last years not including Crede arbitation. I think BA is going to be fine this year. He put up good second half numbers and seemed to finally start making adjustments. Uribe and Pods are my only question marks. Uribe is way to streaky and Pods you never no about his health. It really affects him not only on the bases but also at bat. As much as I would like to upgrade both of them for some reason I dont mind going in to the season with them to see what you have. I truely believe if Pods is healthy he will put up decent numbers. He has something to prove because he will be a free agent after this season I think. The same goes with Uribe. He is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. His contract can be bought out after the season. So both these guys are playing for their futures this year and that usually brings out the best in people.

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Posting in a huge font adds a lot to the strength of your weak debate.

Sorry Daver, I was just trying to make the quote stand out. I'm not a board pro like yourself. You seem to make it a priority to make jack-ass remarks in your replies.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-27-2006, 09:47 PM
We in reality didnt save any money from dumping Freddy. His contract has been filtered in to all the arbitation elgible players we had. McDougal, Pods, Cintron, Pablo to name a few and we can also expect a raise from last years salary to Crede. Our payroll is already higher than last years not including Crede arbitation. I think BA is going to be fine this year. He put up good second half numbers and seemed to finally start making adjustments. Uribe and Pods are my only question marks. Uribe is way to streaky and Pods you never no about his health. It really affects him not only on the bases but also at bat. As much as I would like to upgrade both of them for some reason I dont mind going in to the season with them to see what you have. I truely believe if Pods is healthy he will put up decent numbers. He has something to prove because he will be a free agent after this season I think. The same goes with Uribe. He is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. His contract can be bought out after the season. So both these guys are playing for their futures this year and that usually brings out the best in people.

Great Post. Uribe wants the $$ he will improve, Tippy toes well I thought he was a goner, hopefully the odd number year thing is accurate. I think Danks is gonna be REAL good and heres a cheer for our White Sox.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 09:50 PM
But, you save 10 million, how about retaining Crede? It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Pitching for anything other than pitching, IMO is dumb.

You don't get to pick and choose what part of the statement you pay attention to. It was what was going on at the time, much less 6 months removed. July and December are very different months and times of the year. While he may have thought the kid was a valuable part of the future, he got a twofer.

Come on guy, you're now pulling out commentary from the quote. Quit nit-picking. KW said he's not going anywhere and was a part of our future. I guess he meant only for the remainder of 2006.

As for Crede, I'd like to keep him too. But we have his replacement ready to go.

I'd be more than happy to trade pitching for Crawford. He can hit, play D, and steal bases. That was as an issue last year. Our 1,8,9 completely sucked.

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 09:56 PM
As for Crede, I'd like to keep him too. But we have his replacement ready to go.

So Josh Fields and his 20 major league ABs is ready to replace Crede yet someone like Danks or Floyd or Haeger isn't ready to replace McCarthy?

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 10:20 PM
So Josh Fields and his 20 major league ABs is ready to replace Crede yet someone like Danks or Floyd or Haeger isn't ready to replace McCarthy?

No, he's not ready. The point I was trying to make was Fields is the reason
Crede won't be resigned for huge money. You can't say the same thing about Carl Crawford for BA or Michael Young for Uribe.

itsnotrequired
12-27-2006, 10:28 PM
No, he's not ready. The point I was trying to make was Fields is the reason
Crede won't be resigned for huge money. You can't say the same thing about Carl Crawford for BA or Michael Young for Uribe.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this one. What the heck does Crawford for Anderson or Young for Uribe and their contract status have to do with trading McCarthy for other top-tier prospects? No oofense but I can't understand what you are trying to say here.

Daver
12-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Sorry Daver, I was just trying to make the quote stand out. I'm not a board pro like yourself. You seem to make it a priority to make jack-ass remarks in your replies.

It doesn't take much more than an ability to debate the subject, all of us are still waiting for you to do that, instead of ignoring points and continuing on your specific rant.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-27-2006, 11:35 PM
What really is a shame is that our club hasn't spent $300 million on payroll so we could all agree how great everything will be in 2007.

Cintron... not a bad guy to have around. Too bad he doesn't cost more. The Sox would be getting major props in tomorrow's Cubune.

:wink:

DumpJerry
12-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Better yet, make Cintron the starter in ST, and light a fire under Uribe's ass to perform or sit.

I agree fully. However, Ozzie seems to have a man-crush on Uribe, so that won't happen. I'm very happy and not at all surprised by the signing. Kenny purused Cintron for over a year with the D-Backs before finally making a deal. He's not about to let him get away.

Last July:

Thank goodness you're not the Sox' GM. The first rule of being a successful GM is "never say never." Just because a GM says someone is "untouchable" does not mean that player will always be untouchable. All players are "touchable" if the right mix of players and $$ are on the table. That is Negotiation 101.

Simply stating that a player is "untouchable" means nothing since there is nothing legally binding to the statement. It is not contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement and closest thing you'll find to it is a No-Trade Clause in an indiviuals player's contract which is always waivable if the player wants to get out of town.

Standing Ovation
12-27-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this one. What the heck does Crawford for Anderson or Young for Uribe and their contract status have to do with trading McCarthy for other top-tier prospects? No oofense but I can't understand what you are trying to say here.

Hell, I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore. This started as "Cintron was signed today, whoopiddeedoo". We got sidetracked with a "what do you expect, KW's not overpaying". My point was...when do we stop stockpiling young pitching and start filling other positional needs? Obviously, KW soured on McCarthy somewhere between now and July of last year. I don't have a problem with the trade. But when do we start spinning these young guys into something bigger (Crawford, Young, possibly)? We can't pitch all of these young guys, lets move some of them. Bottom line (IMO), the 2007 rotation on paper looks weaker than 2006. If that's the case, when do we start upgrading LF, CF, SS?

DumpJerry
12-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Hell, I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore. This started as "Cintron was signed today, whoopiddeedoo". We got sidetracked with a "what do you expect, KW's not overpaying". My point was...when do we stop stockpiling young pitching and start filling other positional needs? Obviously, KW soured on McCarthy somewhere between now and July of last year. I don't have a problem with the trade. But when do we start spinning these young guys into something bigger (Crawford, Young, possibly)? We can't pitch all of these young guys, lets move some of them. Bottom line (IMO), the 2007 rotation on paper looks weaker than 2006. If that's the case, when do we start upgrading LF, CF, SS?
I don't think Kenny soured on McCarthy. He was offered a real good deal for him that hopefully benefits the White Sox in the short and long-term more than keeping McCarthy on board would have.

Standing Ovation
12-28-2006, 12:00 AM
I agree fully. However, Ozzie seems to have a man-crush on Uribe, so that won't happen. I'm very happy and not at all surprised by the signing. Kenny purused Cintron for over a year with the D-Backs before finally making a deal. He's not about to let him get away.

Thank goodness you're not the Sox' GM. The first rule of being a successful GM is "never say never." Just because a GM says someone is "untouchable" does not mean that player will always be untouchable. All players are "touchable" if the right mix of players and $$ are on the table. That is Negotiation 101.

Simply stating that a player is "untouchable" means nothing since there is nothing legally binding to the statement. It is not contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement and closest thing you'll find to it is a No-Trade Clause in an indiviuals player's contract which is always waivable if the player wants to get out of town.

Yes , I know. Thanks for stating the obvious. I just want to ****ing know when are we going to upgrade LF, CF, and SS? That's all! McCarthy was discussed in several rumors last year (and before someone wants to lecture me on what a rumor is, let me stop you) for Crawford, Tejada, Soriano, etc, and supposedly he was deemed off-limits. Before we have 50 Scott Ruffcorns on our hands, let's do something.

DumpJerry
12-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Yes , I know. Thanks for stating the obvious. I just want to ****ing know when are we going to upgrade LF, CF, and SS? That's all! McCarthy was discussed in several rumors last year (and before someone wants to lecture me on what a rumor is, let me stop you) for Crawford, Tejada, Soriano, etc, and supposedly he was deemed off-limits. Before we have 50 Scott Ruffcorns on our hands, let's do something.
Personally, I am very happy with Brian Anderson. He has the best arm in the AL, possibly MLB. Anderson will be an All-Star within 4 years. Mark my words.

Uribe has an excellent glove and arm. His hitting is frustrating because he won't lay off the first pitch-even if it's in the next county.

Pods is not my first choice for LF, but he is not as bad as, say Manny Ramirez whom allows fly balls to go by him, checks out the babes and runs to the potty between pitches.

digdagdug23
12-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Come on guy, you're now pulling out commentary from the quote. Quit nit-picking. KW said he's not going anywhere and was a part of our future. I guess he meant only for the remainder of 2006.

I'd be more than happy to trade pitching for Crawford. He can hit, play D, and steal bases. That was as an issue last year. Our 1,8,9 completely sucked.

1st: not a 'guy', women can have baseball knowledge, and sometimes MORESO than men. Look it up.

2nd: it is not nitpicking to say that Kenny nor the article said they would keep B-Mac forever and ever and ever. The article AND Kenny both stopped short of that, yet you seem intent on magnifying that which serves your purpose.

3rd: General managers speak in the short term because it is what it is. Love is love, but business is business. He was trying to get the mediots and the speculators to shut UP for about 5.5 minutes.

4th: You would trade B-Mac for an outfielder? Are you serious? You leave your pitching choices extremely limited, but you get yet ANOTHER outfielder, great!

jabrch
12-28-2006, 12:17 AM
How about McCarthy in a package for Michael Young or Crawford?

How about neither of those guys has yet been traded, and certainly not for a guy like McCarthy who is a back of the rotation guy this year, and maybe a middle rotation guy in 2-3 years.

Standing Ovation
12-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Personally, I am very happy with Brian Anderson. He has the best arm in the AL, possibly MLB. Anderson will be an All-Star within 4 years. Mark my words.

Uribe has an excellent glove and arm. His hitting is frustrating because he won't lay off the first pitch-even if it's in the next county.

Pods is not my first choice for LF, but he is not as bad as, say Manny Ramirez whom allows fly balls to go by him, checks out the babes and runs to the potty between pitches.

I like BA too, but I'm not sure about A.S caliber in 4 years. I wish Ozzie had just let him play last year. We just can't get into a platooning situation again this year. Rob M quickly became my least favorite player last year.

Uribe's D is solid (when he's paying attention), but the SS position has change a lot in the last 10 years. We now can expect power and average from the SS position.

Pods killed us last year. I hope he can rebound.

8,9,1 stalled us so many times last year. I just hope it's different this year.

Standing Ovation
12-28-2006, 12:45 AM
1st: not a 'guy', women can have baseball knowledge, and sometimes MORESO than men. Look it up.

2nd: it is not nitpicking to say that Kenny nor the article said they would keep Fingernails on a blackboard forever and ever and ever. The article AND Kenny both stopped short of that, yet you seem intent on magnifying that which serves your purpose.

3rd: General managers speak in the short term because it is what it is. Love is love, but business is business. He was trying to get the mediots and the speculators to shut UP for about 5.5 minutes.

4th: You would trade Fingernails on a blackboard for an outfielder? Are you serious? You leave your pitching choices extremely limited, but you get yet ANOTHER outfielder, great!

#1...How the hell would I look that up? A PERSON from Dubuque, Iowa, telling me to "look it up"...that's an oxymoron isn't it?
#2...You spun that one comment to your purpose, not vice versa.
#3...Yes, I know.
#4 I'd be happy as hell to trade McCarthy for another OF. Take Dye away and we have the worst outfield in all of baseball. Pods sucked leading off and played an awful LF, BA's bat was awful the first 5/6 of the season. They killed us last year.

Everyone's on my ass as if I'm making this up in my own head:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6305486

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061223rogers,1,1115531.column

Daver
12-28-2006, 12:57 AM

And we are back to what Kenny was quoted on, he will not trade a pitcher without recieving pitching in return, but you want to ignore that because it does not fit your rant.

jabrch
12-28-2006, 01:22 AM
McCarthy was discussed in several rumors last year (and before someone wants to lecture me on what a rumor is, let me stop you) for Crawford, Tejada, Soriano, etc, and supposedly he was deemed off-limits.

What did Crawford, Tejada and Soriano get traded for? Oh yeah - NOTHING

Before we have 50 Scott Ruffcorns on our hands, let's do something.

I'm sure we will have many many many Scott Ruffcorns over time. That's the nature of pitching prospects. But you shouldn't worry about how many Ruffcorns we have. They don't hurt you much. What you should worry about is how many #1, #2 or #3 SPs we have. That's where you actually have value. If you want to cry about all the potential bad things that could happen, that's your choice. But these two deals won't be judged based on who fails - they will be judged based on who succeeds. If just one of the guys we got from Freddy and Brandon becomes a legitimate #1 SP, then we win. If 2 of them are legitimate starters, we win. If we get a starter and some bullpen help, we win. Look at what in this deal could makes us better, and you'd find a lot. Focus on Scott Ruffcorn, and you are going to make yourself miserable for absolutely no reason.

TheCommander
12-28-2006, 02:36 AM

Correction:We traded one of our pitchers from our '06 rotation and one relief pitcher from our '06 bullpen. The last I checked,the roster isn't set until after Spring Training.

Sorry Daver, I was just trying to make the quote stand out. I'm not a board pro like yourself. You seem to make it a priority to make remarks about jack-asses in your replies.

Corrected that one for ya as well.

Truer words were never spoken. You should have stopped while you were ahead. Oh and one more thing:

:chickenlittle

IT'S DECEMBER FOR GOSH SAKES!

DumpJerry
12-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Something tells me Standing Ovation isn't getting one.......

digdagdug23
12-28-2006, 10:27 AM
#1...How the hell would I look that up? A PERSON from Dubuque, Iowa, telling me to "look it up"...that's an oxymoron isn't it?
#2...You spun that one comment to your purpose, not vice versa.
#3...Yes, I know.
#4 I'd be happy as hell to trade McCarthy for another OF. Take Dye away and we have the worst outfield in all of baseball. Pods sucked leading off and played an awful LF, BA's bat was awful the first 5/6 of the season. They killed us last year.

1.Well, don't make assumptions you are conversing with a man, there are quite a few women on this board, and unless you are certain, you don't assume.

2.You were the one who posted the comment, not me. You pick and choose the quotes that you think exemplifies your point, but you only saw what you wanted to see in the entire quote, not the overall message.

3. If you know, then............oy, whatever.

4. This is life. No guarantees, no promises kept. I have a feeling that BA is going to be a major contibutor to this team in the very near future. His rookie years was far from perfect; not great, but not bad. Pods has one off year after a stellar year in the past, and his money is right. So why not see what happens throughout the course of the off-season with the two you question, before dumping everything to bring in a big name that may or may not produce.

wdelaney72
12-28-2006, 10:51 AM
41 posts and he wants to take on one of the board's "admins" and longest reigning members.

Having an opinion and participating in a debate is one thing, your posts are another.

Standing Ovation
12-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Correction:We traded one of our pitchers from our '06 rotation and one relief pitcher from our '06 bullpen. The last I checked,the roster isn't set until after Spring Training.

Corrected that one for ya as well.

Truer words were never spoken. You should have stopped while you were ahead. Oh and one more thing:

:chickenlittle

IT'S DECEMBER FOR GOSH SAKES!

OK, Bryce Drew, whatever you think is fine. Have fun in Indiana.

This is getting funny. Doesn't anyone question KW anymore? You guys (and gal) are acting like Cubs fans. And, the sky is not falling. I couldn't really care less. I'm just curious as to why all the blind faith. Especially when there have been countless articles and talk radio discussions have popped up on these trades.

digdagdug23
12-28-2006, 11:24 AM

This is getting funny. Doesn't anyone question KW anymore? You guys (and gal) are acting like Cubs fans. And, the sky is not falling. I couldn't really care less. I'm just curious as to why all the blind faith. Especially when there have been countless articles and talk radio discussions have popped up on these trades.

It's not blind faith, there is just nothing in the trade of mcCarthy, or the re-signing of Cintron that makes us (at least me) question the integrity of the trades.
Why hit the panic button when there has not been one pitch thrown, one bat swung to date?

itsnotrequired
12-28-2006, 11:27 AM

There lies your problem. Look at the trades for what they are and avoid Mariotti-esque articles and North-esque talk radio, complete with requisite freak out call ins (i.e. I'm cancelling my season tickets because of this trade). You'll see things in a whole new light.

Standing Ovation
12-28-2006, 11:54 AM
41 posts and he wants to take on one of the board's "admins" and longest reigning members.

Having an opinion and participating in a debate is one thing, your posts are another.

Please elaborate. I'm simply having a debate. Where have I strayed? I guess until I become a "high priest" or some **** like that, I'm not allowed to discuss things. Makes sense to me. God forbid attract new posters.

Standing Ovation
12-28-2006, 12:05 PM
And we are back to what Kenny was quoted on, he will not trade a pitcher without recieving pitching in return, but you want to ignore that because it does not fit your rant.

The last I checked, we traded:

Marte(P) for Mackowiak
Rowand, Daigwood(P) and Gonzalez (P) for Thome
Bajeranu (SP?)(P) for Cintron
LaMura (P) for Alomar Jr.

Ol' No. 2
12-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Marte(P) for Mackowiak
LaMura (P) for Alomar Jr.You can't be serious.:o:

Standing Ovation
12-28-2006, 12:13 PM
You can't be serious.:o:

Yes I am. I'm just showing that KW has traded pitching without getting any in return.

That's been my "rant" the entire time. Lets use some of this abundance of pitching to help LF, CF, SS.

Ol' No. 2
12-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Yes I am. I'm just showing that KW has traded pitching without getting any in return.

That's been my "rant" the entire time. Lets use some of this abundance of pitching to help LF, CF, SS.Let me get this straight...you're actually equating Jeff Bajenaru and Damaso Marte with John Danks, Gavin Floyd and Lance Broadway??? :o::o::o:

itsnotrequired
12-28-2006, 12:31 PM

That's been my "rant" the entire time. Lets use some of this abundance of pitching to help LF, CF, SS.

Okay, let's say this is what KW wants to do. Uribe, Anderson and Podsednik are owed about $7.5 million next year, collectively. So if all three were to move on in addition to 3-4 of the minor league prospects, let's say the Sox could free up $8 million in salary. How much do you think a "decent" LF, CF and SS will cost, combined? $12 million? $15 million? So any trades would result in the Sox losing a good chunk of the pitching talent they just received in addition to finding another $4-$7 million of salary. And this is a best-case scenario. In reality, the Sox would probably have to spend $10+ million additional.

If JR is feeling generous, KW might be able to get that money but the bigger task will be willing to find teams to make trades with. If Uribe, Pods and Anderson are so crummy in your opinion, who would want to take them? Why would a team trade their "better" talent for "lesser" talent? It would take the right deal which would most likely in the Sox giving up a lot of prospects or sending cash to other teams. I just don't see this happening.

Daver
12-28-2006, 12:31 PM

Marte(P) for Mackowiak
LaMura (P) for Alomar Jr.

All of those trades were made before Kenny made the statement about trading pitching, but it was a nice try though.

Hitmen77
12-28-2006, 12:46 PM

Everyone's on my ass as if I'm making this up in my own head:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6305486

Ok, I read the linked article and saw this about Anderson:
On offense, many Sox fans are concerned about Brian Anderson's ability to be an every-day player in the majors. Considering his numbers last season (.225 AVG/.290 OBP/.359 SLG), that's understandable at first blush. However, Anderson, 24, has a reasonably strong minor league track record, and in the second half of 2006 he cobbled together a kinda-sorta-vaguely respectable batting line of .257 AVG/.301 OBP/.393 SLG. He's a skilled defender, and he should make strides with the bat in '07. In other words, Anderson, while not yet a demonstrable asset, doesn't figure to be the offense's problem in 2007.

How does this help your argument about needing another CF?:?:

Standing Ovation
12-28-2006, 12:46 PM
All of those trades were made before Kenny made the statement about trading pitching, but it was a nice try though.

The Alomar Jr. was after, but that's fine. KW has traded pitching without getting pitching back, end of story. I doubt that he had a huge revelation in July of 06 to change how he runs things.

digdagdug23
12-28-2006, 12:47 PM

Daver, sweetie, it's like you are trying to have a battle of whits with an unarmed person.

FloridaSox
12-28-2006, 12:52 PM
For those alarmed by a "boring offseason" wait until next year when Mark, Vasquez and JD all head off multi-year multi big buck contracts. We will have big holes in our lineup and rotation to fill.

When is Crede a free agent?

Daver
12-28-2006, 12:53 PM
For those alarmed by a "boring offseason" wait until next year when Mark, Vasquez and JD all head off multi-year multi big buck contracts. We will have big wholes to fill.

After 2008.

itsnotrequired
12-28-2006, 12:54 PM

EDIT: I mean after.

Ol' No. 2
12-28-2006, 12:59 PM
The Alomar Jr. was after, but that's fine. KW has traded crappy pitching without getting pitching back, end of story. I doubt that he had a huge revelation in July of 06 to change how he runs things.Fixed that for you. The only exception of those you listed was trading a fairly low-level pitching prospect for a possible HOF player to fill a much larger hole than what they currently have in LF, CF or SS.

Standing Ovation
12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Daver, sweetie, it's like you are trying to have a battle of whits with an unarmed person.

I bet you're a catch, ain't ya?

Gavin
12-28-2006, 01:20 PM
While I am fully responsible for lighting this flame war, I must ask you, Standing Ovation:
How are you doing this? How have you done any of this?

digdagdug23
12-28-2006, 01:33 PM

soxinem1
12-28-2006, 01:45 PM

You should do a thread search and see how many posters have ripped KW on trades made, trades rumored, and trades to come. In fact, check out the two most recent ones on Garcia and McCarthy, you will see hundreds.

There is no blind loyalty here, unless you call respecting the guy who brought the first World Championship to Chicago since the TR administration a bad thing.

I for one have stated many times that in the sense of developing players from the draft, we have been weak since KW became GM. But he has been one of the savviest in recognizing players and rejects from other organizations that turned out to be great moves.

The issue here with everyone is your rant that is not holding water.

fquaye149
12-28-2006, 01:57 PM

So is the hallmark of a Sox fan to think they know better than team officials even though they can't put together a cogent argument?

Funny---I thought that was the hallmark of people who call in to wscr and sound like idiots

fquaye149
12-28-2006, 02:01 PM
For those alarmed by a "boring offseason" wait until next year when Mark, Vasquez and JD all head off multi-year multi big buck contracts. We will have big holes in our lineup and rotation to fill.

Bingo---you think this has anything to do with why Kenny thinks getting young pitching is a priority?

The Sox have not had very much success finding pitchers on the free agent market for a number of reasons---it's hard to get pitchers to come to our ballpark, we don't want to give more than three year contracts, the price of pitching is out of control....but the first and foremost reason we have not had much success finding pitchers on the free agent market is:

FREE AGENT PITCHING IS ONE OF THE DICIEST TRANSACTIONS A GM CAN MAKE

There is a very low success rate for FA pitching..and when our pitchers come up for FA they will be as dicey of choices as anyone else on the market

Iwritecode
12-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok, I read the linked article and saw this about Anderson:

How does this help your argument about needing another CF?:?:

I read the same article and had the same thoughts. Right after I laughed at who wrote the article...

That said, the influences of Chicago's home environment aren't enough to alter this prevailing fact: pitching was the problem last season.

Which kinda flies in the face of this arguement:

I'm not seeing the big problem here. Pitching (both starting and relieving) was the biggest problem last year. KW is trying to address that. Now somebody is complaining that the offense and defense needs to be upgraded as well? :dunno:

wdelaney72
12-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Please elaborate. I'm simply having a debate. Where have I strayed? I guess until I become a "high priest" or some **** like that, I'm not allowed to discuss things. Makes sense to me. God forbid attract new posters.

No problem...

GoSox2K3
12-28-2006, 03:12 PM
...meanwhile, I think signing Alex Cintron to a 1 year/$1.9 mill contract is a good move by the Sox.

and let's give a big standing ovation to this total thread hijack.

:hijacked::hijacked::hijacked:

Palehose13
12-28-2006, 03:18 PM

While I agree that I would have liked to have gotten Crawford or Young for McCarthy, KW didn't. There is nothing we can do about it and I actually like the trade now.

My question to you is, why go you have to be a freaking ******* to everyone about it?

digdagdug23
12-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Bingo---you think this has anything to do with why Kenny thinks getting young pitching is a priority?

The Sox have not had very much success finding pitchers on the free agent market for a number of reasons---it's hard to get pitchers to come to our ballpark, we don't want to give more than three year contracts, the price of pitching is out of control....but the first and foremost reason we have not had much success finding pitchers on the free agent market is:

FREE AGENT PITCHING IS ONE OF THE DICIEST TRANSACTIONS A GM CAN MAKE

There is a very low success rate for FA pitching..and when our pitchers come up for FA they will be as dicey of choices as anyone else on the market

Just look at what Zito is getting to go to the Giants......eee-gads, out-of-control is an understatement.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2006, 08:12 PM
There is no blind loyalty here, unless you call respecting the guy who brought the first World Championship to Chicago since the TR administration a bad thing.

It was actually the first Chicago baseball championship since the Wilson administration, but who's counting? I'm thinking WSIers are more of your "Bull Moose Party" type voters regardless.
:wink:

soxfanreggie
12-28-2006, 08:38 PM
If some of these pitchers turn out like they potentially could, KW is going to look like a genious. If B.Mac turns out to be a Cy Young award winner and nothing happens from the players we got, he's going to look foolish. I sure as heck hope this pans out for us.

JB98
12-28-2006, 08:53 PM
...meanwhile, I think signing Alex Cintron to a 1 year/$1.9 mill contract is a good move by the Sox.

and let's give a big standing ovation to this total thread hijack.

:hijacked::hijacked::hijacked:

LOL. I've been away from WSI for the last few days, and I wondered why there were so many replies to a thread about our utility infielder.

I should have known a hijack was involved.