PDA

View Full Version : Question?

Dadawg_77
03-10-2002, 02:31 PM
If the Sox put Clayton on waivers, assuming he clears and they send him down to the minors. They would still have to pay what his contract requires, but doesn't Royce have the option to become a FA? Assuming he does, do the Sox still have to pay him the 6 million or so? I know this won't happen but I am curious as what would happen if it did occur.

Daver
03-10-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If the Sox put Clayton on waivers, assuming he clears and they send him down to the minors. They would still have to pay what his contract requires, but doesn't Royce have the option to become a FA? Assuming he does, do the Sox still have to pay him the 6 million or so? I know this won't happen but I am curious as what would happen if it did occur.

The Sox have to pay his contract no matter what.

Paulwny
03-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by daver

Also Clayton has ml longevity and can refuse going to the minors.

baggio202
03-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

right..im sure clayton would refuse a minor league assignement

Dadawg_77
03-10-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

But if he refuses does that make him a FA?

Daver
03-10-2002, 05:42 PM

But if he refuses does that make him a FA?

If the Sox waive him,and he clears waivers,yes.He would not clear waivers though.

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 05:48 PM

If the Sox waive him,and he clears waivers,yes.He would not clear waivers though.

Unless someone picks him up off waivers, they would still have to pay off his contract.

rmusacch
03-10-2002, 06:17 PM

If the Sox put him on waivers and he is claimed by another team, the team that claims him has to pay his salary plus the waiver fee. If the Sox try to send him to the minors and he refuses the assignment and he becomes a free agent, I believe the Sox would not have to pay his salary but I am not sure.

Daver
03-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

If the Sox try to send him to the minors and he refuses the assignment and he becomes a free agent, I believe the Sox would not have to pay his salary but I am not sure.

They have to pay it,it's a guaranteed contract.

Dadawg_77
03-10-2002, 06:38 PM

They have to pay it,it's a guaranteed contract.

Right, but he choses to become a FA instead of going to the minors, isn't he opting out of the contract? Is there a clause in the CBA or standard in contracts that handles this?

Daver
03-10-2002, 06:42 PM

Right, but he choses to become a FA instead of going to the minors, isn't he opting out of the contract? Is there a clause in the CBA or standard in contracts that handles this?

He has the right to refuse being sent down,that is in the CBA,so if he refuses and they waive him they are liable to pay him,unless he is claimed.

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 06:45 PM

He has the right to refuse being sent down,that is in the CBA,so if he refuses and they waive him they are liable to pay him,unless he is claimed.

Ding! Give the man a prize!

For all players with over a certain amount of major-league experience, they have to give their team permission in order for the team to send them down to the minors. The only time they would do that is for a rehab assignment, and the CBA limits rehab assignments to 30 days.

The MLBPA has all their bases covered. There's no way out - someone is giving Royce 4.5 Million, unless he suddenly decides to retire.

baggio202
03-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Ding! Give the man a prize!

For all players with over a certain amount of major-league experience, they have to give their team permission in order for the team to send them down to the minors. The only time they would do that is for a rehab assignment, and the CBA limits rehab assignments to 30 days.

The MLBPA has all their bases covered. There's no way out - someone is giving Royce 4.5 Million, unless he suddenly decides to retire.

and that somebody is the white sox...or shall i say their patrons