PDA

View Full Version : Angels sign Hillenbrand

eriqjaffe
12-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Didn't see a thread about this, so...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2708779

Hillenbrand, who split last season between Toronto and San Francisco, gets $6 million next year, and the Angels hold a $6.5 million option for 2008 with a $500,000 buyout. The option could become guaranteed based on his plate appearances next season.

asboog
12-27-2006, 10:13 AM
I suppose this is good for the Angels but I don't think it is anything to get excited about for them.

Foulke You
12-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I really think this is one of the steals of the free agent market this year. Hillenbrand is a quality left handed hitter and a serviceable fielder. In this free agent market, I expected Shea to sign for more money and more years. The Angels needed offense and they found a pretty good bargain to improve their lineup. If Hendry was smart, he would have passed on signing Aramis Ramirez for stupid money and gotten Shea to play 3rd for 1/3 the salary and would have had $12 million more to spend on CF or more pitching. No one accused the Cubs of making savvy baseball moves though.:cool: Nice move by Stoneman for the Angels though.

julio-cruz
12-29-2006, 11:55 AM
I really think this is one of the steals of the free agent market this year. Hillenbrand is a quality left handed hitter and a serviceable fielder. In this free agent market, I expected Shea to sign for more money and more years. The Angels needed offense and they found a pretty good bargain to improve their lineup. If Hendry was smart, he would have passed on signing Aramis Ramirez for stupid money and gotten Shea to play 3rd for 1/3 the salary and would have had $12 million more to spend on CF or more pitching. No one accused the Cubs of making savvy baseball moves though.:cool: Nice move by Stoneman for the Angels though.

He is a right-handed hitter. Not sure why they don't put Kendry Morales over there?

eriqjaffe
12-29-2006, 12:32 PM
I really think this is one of the steals of the free agent market this year. Hillenbrand is a quality left handed hitter and a serviceable fielder. In this free agent market, I expected Shea to sign for more money and more years.I don't think Shea is good enough to overcome the the "clubhouse cancer" tag he picked up last year before Toronto DFA'd him.

Foulke You
12-29-2006, 12:42 PM
He is a right-handed hitter.
Reason #1 why I shouldn't post before having that first cup of coffee.:D: You are correct, he is right handed and a career .287 hitter to boot. He's also good for 20-25HRs. Not exactly reminding anyone of Troy Glaus's numbers but for 6 million, I think he is a bargain.

Foulke You
12-29-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't think Shea is good enough to overcome the the "clubhouse cancer" tag he picked up last year before Toronto DFA'd him.
I think that had more to do with their manager since he had spats with several Jays players I believe. As far as I know, the Red Sox or D'backs never complained about him when he was on those teams.

You are correct though, the cancer tag probably effected Shea's market value. Look at how much the "clubhouse cancer" tag hurt AJ Pierzynski's market value after his year with the Giants. The Sox signed him for practically nothing before '05.

eriqjaffe
12-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I think that had more to do with their manager since he had spats with several Jays players I believe. As far as I know, the Red Sox or D'backs never complained about him when he was on those teams.
You are correct though, the cancer tag probably effected Shea's market value. Look at how much the "clubhouse cancer" tag hurt AJ Pierzynski's market value after his year with the Giants. The Sox signed him for practically nothing before '05.True, Gibbons is the one who challenged him to a fistfight and threatened to quit if Shea wasn't removed, but Hillenbrand was the guy who wrote "The Ship is Sinking" on the clubhouse bulletin board, which is what set Gibbons off in the first place.

FedEx227
12-29-2006, 02:24 PM
He's a consistently good player, its a great signing by the Angels. You're going to get .280 avg, .350 obp, 20 HR, 81 RBIs.