SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-27-2006, 03:50 AM
http://southsidesox.com/story/2006/12/26/192443/00#readmore

Good stuff over at SouthSideSox.

hose
12-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I read this at the bottom and it has Masset as a lefty:?:
Plus Nick isn't Mick

.....What about Mick Masset? Even though Danks is the gem of this deal, the acquisition of Masset could have other complications in the White Sox Organization. For those of you not familiar with Masset, I was able to dig up a little tidbit of info on the lefty. This time from MLBTradeRumors (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/):
" He had Tommy John surgery as a senior in high school, which could be viewed as a positive (given that his new tendon/ligament doesn't have a lifetime of wear and tear on it). Masset converted to relief this year and was able to dial his fastball into the high 90s. He could be yet another hard thrower in Chicago's explosive bullpen in 2007."

The typical type of pitcher Williams has sought after this winter.

Now what are the complications Masset presents to the White Sox?
They may have now found their LOOGY in the bullpen.

veeter
01-02-2007, 10:33 AM
I love the Aardsma desciption, "pie-thrower mechanics". That's funny stuff.

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 07:59 AM
I've seen a few reports that Rassner is the sleeper of the deal (like Liriano in the Nathan/Bonser deal for AJ) and that he might end up being the best of the bunch.

Of course, he could just as easily end up like Josh Rupe, Kevin Beirne or Aaron Myette.

rdivaldi
01-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Of course, he could just as easily end up like Josh Rupe, Kevin Beirne or Aaron Myette.

Don't lump Rupe in with those two busts yet...

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Don't lump Rupe in with those two busts yet...

Rupe, I would imagine, has at least a 50/50 chance to make the Rangers' rotation.

Of course, they said the same thing last season. Castro turned out to be the pitcher that had the biggest impact that we "missed" from our organization, although there's no guarantee he could/would have replicated those results in Chicago.

I also wish that we could have kept Grilli, but it seems that KW viewed him more as a starter than a reliever. But he was very solid for DET last year, and would have filled the Nelson/Riske/Politte spot well IMO.

letsgosox15
01-03-2007, 10:15 AM
i think sisco is way too high on this. he is not top 5 caliber to me. yes he has a lot of upside but being in the majors for the last 2 seasons i really cant think of u still being a prospect and putting up not so good of #'s. i think Sisco should be 6th and have everyone else slide up a spot.

caulfield12
01-03-2007, 10:23 AM
i think sisco is way too high on this. he is not top 5 caliber to me. yes he has a lot of upside but being in the majors for the last 2 seasons i really cant think of u still being a prospect and putting up not so good of #'s. i think Sisco should be 6th and have everyone else slide up a spot.

It's more based on Sisco's rookie season (the fact that he had one VERY solid year in adverse conditions in KC) and the fact that he was a very young/inexperienced pitcher in the bigs.

Of course, most view him as a reliever, but you could argue past results versus future potential forever.

Sure, Masset, Aardsma and Rassner and even Vazquez could end up having a better overall career, but #5 isn't a bad placement either.

Realistically, they should have Floyd, Sisco and Aardsma in their own category in comparison with the other guys.