PDA

View Full Version : White Sox involved in talks with Baltimore??

ukigdog
12-26-2006, 05:10 PM
So i have been scouring other message boards for information trying to see if there is any news.... and i came across some interesting stuff:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=118

There are also several trades in the works, including the long-rumored Randy Johnson (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/player_search.php?search_name=Randy+Johnson) to Arizona deal and one three-team deal that has three BIG names. Iím going to tease you with the last one because itís close enough that reporting it just might jinx it.

followed by:

I got this message from a friend.. That Paul White mention this trade rumor in an MLB Chat
Ken (Chicago IL)
Hey Paul what do you think about the White Sox trade with Texas and do you think Kenny Williams is done.
Paul White- I have heard some rumblings that the Sox will trade a few of the pitching prospects along with Garland to Baltimore for Tejada,Patterson and Cabrera. The trade might happen later this week.

What you guys think?? HMM.....

buehrle4cy05
12-26-2006, 05:14 PM
I sure hope not.

RoobarbPie
12-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Please God no.

munchman33
12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Paul White- I have heard some rumblings that the Sox will trade a few of the pitching prospects along with Garland to Baltimore for Tejada,Patterson and Cabrera. The trade might happen later this week.

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. That said, no way it happens. Baltimore isn't giving up that much talent.

CPditka
12-26-2006, 05:28 PM

Id do that, as long as Danks wasnt involved.

HomeFish
12-26-2006, 05:28 PM
No way does Baltimore make a trade that's that stupid on their part. Not unless they're being run by that guy who used to run the Mets a few years back.

samram
12-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Not a chance Baltimore does that. Cabrera may well be better than Garland next year.

Daver
12-26-2006, 05:57 PM
No way does Baltimore make a trade that's that stupid on their part. Not unless they're being run by that guy who used to run the Mets a few years back.

Never underestimate Peter Angelo's complete lack of intelligence.

CHISOXFAN13
12-26-2006, 05:59 PM
I sure hope not.

May I ask why?

UserNameBlank
12-26-2006, 06:01 PM
I got this message from a friend.. That Paul White mention this trade rumor in an MLB Chat
Ken (Chicago IL)
Hey Paul what do you think about the White Sox trade with Texas and do you think Kenny Williams is done.

I saw this a few days ago on an MLB.com board. There was no link there either, and I'm pretty sure it's BS.

First off, look at Corey Patterson's numbers last year: .276/.314/.443 with 16 HR and 53 RBI. Those numbers are very approachable for Brian Anderson. Brian is also a better fielder, and only Corey's 45 SB's make a big difference. If it was something where the Sox sent Anderson and a decent but not top 10 prospect to Baltimore, sure, but there is no way Corey is worth Brian and a top prospect. I doubt KW would upgrade at CF by only trading away top arms, that is stupid.

Daniel Cabrera sucks. We hammered him and it's easy to see why. 104 BB in 148 IP? With 130 hits for a WHIP of 1.58? This guy sucks and is much more than a "project" like Sisco or Floyd. That said, I wouldn't give up anything to get this guy since the Sox already have AAA starters who, even if rushed, could show more on the big stage than Cabrera.

Tejeda is the only one here really worth the upgrade, and it comes at the price of right now, our safest bet in our starting staff. He also adds more homeruns which, while nice to have, the Sox don't need. And he also brings with him a downgrade at SS and several less double plays and several more hits and runs given up over the course of the season. No thanks.

All in all, I think this is BS. No way does KW build up all these arms and then piss the away. That is something Baltimore would do.

CashMan
12-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Daniel Cabrera sucks. We hammered him and it's easy to see why. 104 BB in 148 IP? With 130 hits for a WHIP of 1.58? This guy sucks and is much more than a "project" like Sisco or Floyd. That said, I wouldn't give up anything to get this guy since the Sox already have AAA starters who, even if rushed, could show more on the big stage than Cabrera.

But he is a flamethrower!

thomas35forever
12-26-2006, 06:07 PM
May I ask why?
Do the words "trading Garland" mean anything to you?

UserNameBlank
12-26-2006, 06:12 PM

If that doesn't work, how about the words "and replacing him with Daniel Cabrera?" Yuck. If KW does this he's an idiot, and I don't think he is, which is why this is BS. I think this Paul White is about as fictious as the Boogeyman.

http://www.wwe-germanyhistory.de/images/tnmm_120_boogeyman.jpg

santo=dorf
12-26-2006, 06:12 PM
So what?

We traded Garcia for a bag of balls, why not get something of value for Garland?

Daver, I think you missed homefish's joke about Jim Duquette. He's their VP of baseball operations.

Daver
12-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Daver, I think you missed homefish's joke about Jim Duquette. He's their VP of baseball operations.

No I got it, but Peter is far more involved in operations than most MLB owners.

CHISOXFAN13
12-26-2006, 06:16 PM

You're right because Garland is far more valuable than Tejada. LOL. I mean, guys who hit .330 with 100 RBI at the sortstop position are readily available!!!!

But pitchers with mid-4 ERA's sure aren't.

Look, I like the players the Sox have, too, but if you really believe that trading Garland for Tejada is a bad move, I really don't know what to tell you.

Sox fans love to overvalue their players. It's just a simple fact.

Jjav829
12-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Seems like a trade neither team would make. The Sox would be trading young pitching for offense. And if the Orioles are going to trade those three players, they are going to want more established players in return.

UserNameBlank
12-26-2006, 06:34 PM
You're right because Garland is far more valuable than Tejada. LOL. I mean, guys who hit .330 with 100 RBI at the sortstop position are readily available!!!!

But pitchers with mid-4 ERA's sure aren't.

Look, I like the players the Sox have, too, but if you really believe that trading Garland for Tejada is a bad move, I really don't know what to tell you.

Sox fans love to overvalue their players. It's just a simple fact.

The move slightly lessens defense in CF while adding SB's, lessens defense at SS while adding more power, and removes an established young workhorse from our rotation who happens to be the most likely to have a solid, injury-free year. He is then replaced by a guy who walks everybody, still gives up hits, and has never pitched more than 161.1 IP in an entire season.

This move makes the Sox WORSE, much worse, and probably removes them from contention. The Sox need better pitching and need to at least sustain their defense up the middle. That is what makes a 90-win team a 95-win team. Another power bat does not.

DC Sox Fan
12-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Never underestimate Peter Angelo's complete lack of intelligence.

Well put, oh wise one.

buehrle4cy05
12-26-2006, 07:01 PM
May I ask why?

I know I'm in the minority here, but I feel that we don't need Miguel Tejada. Sure, he'd be nice, but adding another righty power bat isn't exactly what we need. I also think Daniel Cabrera would be a huge bust, thus leaving a gaping hole in the rotation that no amount of offense could fix.

Craig Grebeck
12-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Link?

robertks61
12-26-2006, 07:10 PM
No way does Baltimore make a trade that's that stupid on their part.

Didn't they pick up some wash up named Sosa a couple of years ago......

jabrch
12-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I'd certainly considerr it depending on who the prospects are.

oeo
12-26-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. A part of me says pull the trigger, because IMO, we're filling holes, not making more of them. I think Cabrera is going to be very good, but he needs to perform next year if this were to happen, and that's a risky move.

WhiteSox5187
12-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I don't want to give up Garland. GIve 'em all the kids we got in the trades. Not Garland.

kittle42
12-26-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't want to give up Garland. GIve 'em all the kids we got in the trades. Not Garland.

Agree as far as this year goes re: leaving another hole in the rotation, but tossing away your good minor leaguers frivolously is unwise.

KyWhiSoxFan
12-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Why trade Garland if he's under contract for two more years? I wouldn't be in a rush to move him.

MeanFish
12-26-2006, 09:40 PM
I agree. As much as I support the moves we've made thus far, creating another hole in the rotation would be a very bad move.

Daniel Cabrera would be a fantastic acquisition if he were the answer to our 5th starter position. But that wouldn't be the case if we were to lose Garland, who has become in many ways our most reliable arm.

No amount of Miguel Tejada can make up for a shallow rotation. Our offense and defense were good enough last year without him, and our pitching is where we need work. Let's stick to that logic and move forward from there. :)

Grzegorz
12-26-2006, 09:43 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I feel that we don't need Miguel Tejada. Sure, he'd be nice, but adding another righty power bat isn't exactly what we need. I also think Daniel Cabrera would be a huge bust, thus leaving a gaping hole in the rotation that no amount of offense could fix.

Yes...

Well said; my sentiments exactly. The Chicago White Sox need speed, pitching, & defense to get them back to the World Series. Miguel Tejada brings little to no speed and he's not the greatest defensive player. Daniel Cabrera doesn't fill me with confidence when it comes to being a starting pitcher.

Iguana775
12-26-2006, 10:33 PM
But he is a flamethrower!

Coop would work his magic and make him the next Roger Clemons. :)

itsnotrequired
12-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Coop would work his magic and make him the next Roger Clemons. :)

Roger Clemons? Isn't that Bilbo Baggins' cousin?

:tongue:

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-26-2006, 10:59 PM
I'd hate to lose Garland, but I'd love to gain Tejada. There's enough prospects the Sox could give 'em. I still won't believe a word until I see it happen.

rdivaldi
12-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Isn't this like the same trade that has been bandied about for the past three years? We've been getting Tejada every year since 2002...

QOTSA
12-27-2006, 02:16 AM
So what?

We traded Garcia for a bag of balls, why not get something of value for Garland?

Jeremy Reed was a great prospect who hit .400 in AA, then he broke his wrist. Not exactly a bag of balls...

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-27-2006, 02:49 AM
Jeremy Reed was a great prospect who hit .400 in AA, then he broke his wrist. Not exactly a bag of balls...

I think he was referring to the Garcia/Philly trade.

fquaye149
12-27-2006, 03:20 AM
I think he was referring to the Garcia/Philly trade.

Nevertheless not a bag of balls...

grow up whoever

KyWhiSoxFan
12-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Speculation of this Tejada trade makes no sense. The last thing the Sox can afford is to trade another starter when they're already looking for fifth starter.

Any further trades will address one of the outfield positions, either left or center.

The Sox went into the winter knowing they had to improve 8-9-1 in the lineup and have not done so yet.

oeo
12-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Speculation of this Tejada trade makes no sense. The last thing the Sox can afford is to trade another starter when they're already looking for fifth starter.

Any further trades will address one of the outfield positions, either left or center.

The Sox went into the winter knowing they had to improve 8-9-1 in the lineup and have not done so yet.

I have a hard time believing that Kenny would have traded McCarthy if he did not have a plan for a fifth starter. They're pretty high on Gavin Floyd, maybe they think he can get the job done. Or maybe they'll take a risk on a guy like Mulder?

Some people are really freaking out right now, and there's no reason for it. The offseason isn't over yet, and Kenny has said time and time again that he never wants to be in the 5th starter situation again...I HIGHLY doubt that we will go into the season with that problem.

Tragg
12-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Exactly, in return for more power at SS and a couple of more steals, we give up: up the middle defense at SS and CF; a solid rotation starter; a ton of young near ML ready pitching.
And Tejada has a high salary...in return for taking on a high salary, they should receive less talent.

And while Sox fans may overvalue their players, there is an immense "grass is always greener" effect on other teams' players, too.

WhiteSox5187
12-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Yea, someone said it earlier, the Sox need more speed, better defense and starting pitching to return to the promised land. Tejada doesn't give us this. I, personally, think Tejada is a bit over rated. Just my opinion.