PDA

View Full Version : Coop on the Score right now...

CPditka
12-26-2006, 03:07 PM
I'll try to summarize when its done.

sox1970
12-26-2006, 03:15 PM
I love Coop....the guy cracks me up....

CashMan
12-26-2006, 03:22 PM
He keeps defending the McCarthy trade, and saying we have DEEP pitching in the minors.

SoxFanPrope
12-26-2006, 03:25 PM
It seems both Coop and Goff and the other guy (I can't spell his name) keep repeating the same questions and answers over and over concerning McCarthy.

Also, anyone hear Coop yell at his dogs??

SoxxoS
12-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Its funny how a lot of people comment that "Maybe Coop saw something in this guy's delivery" or whatever...and Coop just said he doesnt talk to KW...and he isn't involved in player scouting but player development only. KW doesnt talk to Coop about bringing prospects in.

Interesting, definitely.

sox1970
12-26-2006, 03:27 PM

Yeah, that was funny. I'm sure that sound bite will be played a lot.

CPditka
12-26-2006, 03:27 PM
-Coop sad to see McCarthy go. But excited (actually sounded excited and he said it for the new players). Hes excited for the challenge of working on these new players.

-Has full faith in Kenny.

-Says that Sox fans are/were emotionally attached to Cotts, Freddy, McCarthy, etc.

-Says Buerhle was CRAP after allstar break

-Kept referring to McCarthy as a prospect. Traded 2 for 1 prospects. He thinks they are better prospects. Cant evaluate trade now, in 2/3 years sure. Says that Brandon had earned a shot at the 5th starter, but wasnt guaranteed the spot.

-Sox are going to "roll their sleeves up" to win a World Series. That is their goal, to win a WS in 2007.

-Was very confrontational to Score hosts, very defensive.

-Kenny has always made good trades.

- 12 pitchers, 13 position players are the plan... and Coop is ready to do "Battle"

-Didnt seem to have a 5th starter in mind as a leading candidate (appx 7 names) But know one knows yet who.

-He hasnt seen these new players but is excited by the reports on them, both physical and mental reports.

-Quote "Im not in the job of player transactions, Im in the job of player development".

Thats about it.

CPditka
12-26-2006, 03:28 PM

Yup, that was top notch.

"Shut the door, shut that door!!!"

maurice
12-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the recap, guys.

He keeps . . . saying we have DEEP pitching in the minors.

He's right. We've been discussing this very subject on the minor league forum.

12 pitchers, 13 position players are the plan

:?:
1 Pierzynski
2 Konerko
3 Iguchi
4 Uribe
5 Crede
6 Podsednik
7 Anderson
8 Dye
9 Thome
10 Mackowiak
11 Hall
12 Cintron
13 Ozuna

So, who's the backup CF, since they've already (wisely) ruled out Mackowiak?

spiffie
12-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Interesting that they're talking about a 12 man pitching staff. Wonder if that's because they just have so many guys they want Coop to be able to work with, or if they're planning for a lot of long days for the pen every 5th day.

jabrch
12-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Interesting that they're talking about a 12 man pitching staff. Wonder if that's because they just have so many guys they want Coop to be able to work with, or if they're planning for a lot of long days for the pen every 5th day.

How about - we have a strong and deep bullpen and can use relievers in defined roles (7th, 8th, 9th) and allow Ozzie to go L/R when he wants and not force our starters to go 8 innings to win?

You have a way to find the most negative possible options don't you?

JermaineDye05
12-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the recap, guys.

He's right. We've been discussing this very subject on the minor league forum.

:?:
1 Pierzynski
2 Konerko
3 Iguchi
4 Uribe
5 Crede
6 Podsednik
7 Anderson
8 Dye
9 Thome
10 Mackowiak
11 Hall
12 Cintron
13 Ozuna

So, who's the backup CF, since they've already (wisely) ruled out Mackowiak?

I think we're looking at Hall in Center seeing how mack is our emergency backup catcher

spiffie
12-26-2006, 03:50 PM
How about - we have a strong and deep bullpen and can use relievers in defined roles (7th, 8th, 9th) and allow Ozzie to go L/R when he wants and not force our starters to go 8 innings to win?

You have a way to find the most negative possible options don't you?
Actually the first half wasn't intended to be negative at all. There's a lot of guys in our organization who could probably benefit more from being with the big club and getting tutored by Coop on a regular basis(Sisco, Floyd, Aardsma, Tracey, Masset) than being in AA or AAA. Hence wondering if the decision would be made to allow him to work with more of the young pitching personally.

voodoochile
12-26-2006, 03:50 PM

Some of both I would believe, in addition, why send MLB ready prospects to the minors when they can be learning on the job in the majors and helping the team?

Buehrle, Garland and a host of other projected starting pitchers through the years have spent time in the BP early in their big league careers. It's a tried and true method of finding out which of the young guns have the mental makeup and ability to actually handle big league hitters.

Daver
12-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Actually the first half wasn't intended to be negative at all. There's a lot of guys in our organization who could probably benefit more from being with the big club and getting tutored by Coop on a regular basis(Sisco, Floyd, Aardsma, Tracey, Masset) than being in AA or AAA. Hence wondering if the decision would be made to allow him to work with more of the young pitching personally.

Is this an implication that Kirk Champion is not capable of developing these pitchers?

spiffie
12-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Is this an implication that Kirk Champion is not capable of developing these pitchers?
Nope. Simply that they may feel that they've passed a point in their development where being tutored in a AA or AAA environment will be beneficial to them, in comparison to being tutored in a major league environment. All of the guys I mentioned except for Massett and Tracey have a decent amount of major league experience. The Sox may be feeling that they simply need some refinement, or a better understanding of the psychology of pitching at a major league level, which would be better gained with the major league pitching coach and by pitching in major league games.

hose
12-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Coop likes who we got for McCarthy and didn't believe Brandon was a lock for winning the #5 position. He wasn't putting McCarthy down in the least bit but again he was thrilled who we got in return.

No sooner is the interview over and a caller calls Coop an idiot. :angry:

Here is probably one of the best pitching coaches in the bigs and the fill in host don't even stand up for Coop.

Ol' No. 2
12-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Its funny how a lot of people comment that "Maybe Coop saw something in this guy's delivery" or whatever...and Coop just said he doesnt talk to KW...and he isn't involved in player scouting but player development only. KW doesnt talk to Coop about bringing prospects in.

Interesting, definitely.Yet just last spring KW specifically said that Thornton was identified by Cooper as a guy he wanted.

dickallen15
12-26-2006, 05:24 PM
FWIW, the chances of Cooper ever going on the radio and blasting Kenny Williams for making a trade is very small.

bigfoot
12-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Yet just last spring KW specifically said that Thornton was identified by Cooper as a guy he wanted.

Was that before or after the trade was made?

The Coopview seemed to have a bit of "Glad we got the arms that we did for BMac", tacitly saying that Coop can get the arms to put the ball over the plate, but had a hard time getting more than very low 90's out of Bmac with what looked like little movement. Much like a tall bball player,.... you can teach a lot of things, but 7 feet tall and 97mph fastball comes prepackaged.

Frontman
12-27-2006, 06:32 AM
It was a great interview, would of been a HELL of a lot better with actual on-air talent. (I give Matt and Jason props as a fill-in team, but man, how many times do you need to ask "So McCarthy was a prospect?"

:wink:

I have a feeling as well that Coop's point of not talking to KW was talking to KW directly. Ozzie is Coop's boss, and he probably tells Ozzie who he would like to see in the 'pen, in development, Ozzie considers it, then presents KW with the names he (Ozzie) would like to see.

Front

fquaye149
12-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Yet just last spring KW specifically said that Thornton was identified by Cooper as a guy he wanted.

it seems like, from the comments, coop has from time to time asked KW for players, but it's not like KW is running trades by Coop or only getting guys Coop has specifically asked for

34 Inch Stick
12-27-2006, 11:44 AM

And feeling confident in talking about the players the sox recieved from Texas, even though he had little to no opportunity to see them in person.

voodoochile
12-27-2006, 11:52 AM
And feeling confident in talking about the players the sox recieved from Texas, even though he had little to no opportunity to see them in person.

I'm sure he's seen the current scouting reports.

pearso66
12-27-2006, 04:48 PM
They were replaying the interview today on the Score, well parts of it anyway, I don't believe the guys on the show today were the same ones that gave the interview, but anyway my point is that the guys today were absolutely ripping him to shreds over his interview. One of their basic statements was "so now we can't trust the White Sox, because they are only overhyping their players so they can get good trades out of them, and fill the park. We now can't believe them that Broadway is any good, or that Fields is any good, or that Sweeney is any good."

And then I was listening later, I don't know if it was the same show or not, but they had Steve Stone on, and he was praising these trades essentially, and stating that nobody should question the White Sox on their talent evaluation, as they have shown to have great talent evaluation in the past.

Ol' No. 2
12-27-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm sure he's seen the current scouting reports.I'm sure they all got together at the team meeting last fall...KW, Coop, scouts, etc. The list of "targets" that KW talks about undoubtedly came out of that meeting.

34 Inch Stick
12-28-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm sure they all got together at the team meeting last fall...KW, Coop, scouts, etc. The list of "targets" that KW talks about undoubtedly came out of that meeting.
But wouldn't that contradict his earlier statement about his involvement in things other than player development.

Ol' No. 2
12-28-2006, 11:49 AM
But wouldn't that contradict his earlier statement about his involvement in things other than player development.I don't know what Cooper was thinking when he made that statement, but it's ridiculous on its face. What else would they be talking about at the organizational meetings? Also, after acquiring Thornton last year, Kenny specifically said that Cooper had identified him as a pitcher he wanted.

itsnotrequired
12-28-2006, 11:52 AM
I don't know what Cooper was thinking when he made that statement, but it's ridiculous on its face. What else would they be talking about at the organizational meetings? Also, after acquiring Thornton last year, Kenny specifically said that Cooper had identified him as a pitcher he wanted.

I heard that Cooper is asked to leave the room when player aquasitions are discussed.

:redneck

hawkjt
12-28-2006, 11:57 AM
I heard the interview and it was yet another example of how bad those SCORE fill-in hosts are. Mattabatacola fancies himself a Bernstein clone, with his confrontational, nit picking on each word, superior than thou style. It is so obvious it is laugable.

They tried to provoke a reaction from Coop and I do not blame coop for firing back a little. Of course the rest of the day and the next day with holmes,another wannabee, they used sound bites to build some case for the sox hyping mccarthy and then trading him- which is what every fricking GM in the league does, like it was some kind of betrayal of sox fans , deceiving the league on mccarthys true value-- how dare they???

coop does not suffer fools like this lightly and I am surprised he kept it civil.

maurice
12-29-2006, 02:30 PM
We now can't believe them that Broadway is any good, or that Fields is any good, or that Sweeney is any good.

That's right. Just like every smart team, the Sox overhype their prospects. The result is a series of outstanding trades, where the Sox swap a marginal player or a B-level prospect for a quality major leaguer. Fortunately, the Sox are not counting on Broadway, Sweeney, and Fields in 2007.

Then again, if the idiot radio hosts took their profession seriously, they always could do what I do: actually go watch these guys play and form their own opinions.
:rolleyes: