PDA

View Full Version : Brewers get their Christmas present a day early

PKalltheway
12-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Jeff Suppan has signed a 4 year, 42 million dollar deal with Milwaukee should he pass his physical. If Sheets can stay healthy, and Capuano continues his success, the Brewers should have a decent rotation going into next year.

More info here: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ajz1hm4w57BzlQyKriVRcpw5nYcB?slug=ap-brewers-suppan&prov=ap&type=lgns

MrX
12-24-2006, 09:57 PM
I would have rather received a lump of coal

SOXSINCE'70
12-24-2006, 10:27 PM
I would have rather received a lump of coal

According to the hack sports writers in this city,
the Sox DID recieve a lump of coal when their
"messiah":rolleyes: Brandon McCarthy was traded.
Better to judge the trade a complete failure before the
fans (and Sox personnel) can see for themselves what they
inherited in this trade.

Well,I guess it's like Terry Boers used to say;
"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

God knows the Chicago media doesn't.:angry:

StillMissOzzie
12-24-2006, 10:28 PM
I just saw this on the crawl during the NBC-5 news. If a pitcher like Suppan is good for 4/$42M, then Freddy Garcia should be able to get 4/$50M, if not more.

SMO
:gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
12-24-2006, 10:31 PM
I just saw this on the crawl during the NBC-5 news. If a pitcher like Suppan is good for 4/$42M, then Freddy Garcia should be able to get 4/$50M, if not more.

SMO
:gulp:

And if Mark Beuhrele pitches the way he did in 2005,
he should be worth even MORE.No teal needed.

soxfan26
12-24-2006, 10:45 PM
If Sheets can stay healthy...

:roflmao:

palehozenychicty
12-25-2006, 12:21 AM
:roflmao:

Not only is he brittle, but has never won more than twelve games in his career. He's a classic case of overrated.

DSpivack
12-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Not only is he brittle, but has never won more than twelve games in his career. He's a classic case of overrated.

Just a case of an good pitcher who is injury-prone. He hasn't gotten many wins because he plays for the Brewers, and because of all his injuries he hasn't pitched a full season since 2004. Since then, in the limited time he has pitched, he has pitched well. I wouldn't call him overrated because IF he gets in a full season while healthy again, he should be a very good pitcher. He's better than say, Mark Prior (not to be cubsessed but seems the best example I can think of) a similar injury-prone player in his division.

palehozenychicty
12-25-2006, 01:44 AM
Just a case of an good pitcher who is injury-prone. He hasn't gotten many wins because he plays for the Brewers, and because of all his injuries he hasn't pitched a full season since 2004. Since then, in the limited time he has pitched, he has pitched well. I wouldn't call him overrated because IF he gets in a full season while healthy again, he should be a very good pitcher. He's better than say, Mark Prior (not to be cubsessed but seems the best example I can think of) a similar injury-prone player in his division.

That we can agree upon. It's just that Sheets has been hyped as one of the better young arms in the game since the start of the decade, and it hasn't happened. Then again, the Brew Crew has had no supporting talent whatsoever until now, and it's still developing. I think '07 is a big year for this team. Like the Indians, they've been hyped the last few years but have yet to be a serious contender.

Banix12
12-25-2006, 04:22 AM
That we can agree upon. It's just that Sheets has been hyped as one of the better young arms in the game since the start of the decade, and it hasn't happened. Then again, the Brew Crew has had no supporting talent whatsoever until now, and it's still developing. I think '07 is a big year for this team. Like the Indians, they've been hyped the last few years but have yet to be a serious contender.

In the last three years, when he has been on the mound, he has only walked 68 batters, struck out 521 batters, all in 499 and 2/3 innings. He has a career WHIP of 1.21 and a career ERA of 3.83. I'd say Ben Sheets has lived up to his hype when he has pitched, the brewers were just an awful, awful team through most of his tenure.

As for him being injury prone, while he did miss time in 2005, most of that time missed was due to Vertigo and not because of arm problems. He missed the last two starts that year to arm issues I believe and 2006 was the first year he ever missed substantial time because of a wear and tear on the arm. I have a hard time calling him injury prone and brittle. Before the Vertigo attack in 2005 he had never missed a start and was coming off three straight seasons of pitching 200+ innings.

If he has a second season of arm troubles this year then i would pronounce him injury prone.

I like the brewers this year, the hitting should have matured a bit and the division isn't that great as usual. I won't pronounce them a lock for the divison but they'll contend.

Mohoney
12-25-2006, 08:39 AM
For me, 4 years and $42 million for Jeff Suppan seems like a Pyrrhic victory for a team like the Brewers. Yes, they went out and got a guy to give them innings, and adding him to Capuano, Davis, and Bush (all 200+ inning guys last year), plus Sheets (when he's healthy, he's an upper echelon pitcher comparable to any other NL Central team's #1 guy), makes sense on the surface, but in my opinion that price tag is way too high for a 32 year old.

Sure, he'll most likely give you 400+ innings the next 2 years, but his ERA will definitely be over 4, his WHIP will be around 1.35 or 1.4, and he'll give up over 50 home runs. Plus, odds are he'll only strike out roughly 200 batters. I guess that this is worth $20 million in today's market, so I guess that the first 2 years are justified.

However, think of the 3rd year of the deal. He'll be 35. The 4th year, he'll be 36. Not exactly a tradeable commodity, even if he is producing as a 35 or 36 year old, and if age catches up with him and his performance diminishes, you have to eat salary to trade him, which is the last thing that the Brewers can afford to do.

If a big market team made this signing, it would be a no-brainer, but for a team like the Brewers, it's a huge risk. I would probably rather hang my hat on Capellan as my 5th guy and save those precious payroll dollars, or see if 2 years, $26 million could have netted me a comparable guy.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Suppan succeeds in Milwaukee. I really do. They have a really nice park, and if the Brewers can get to a level where they win 90+ games per year for the lifetime of Suppan's contract, they could draw 10+ million fans. That would be great for baseball as a whole. Ditto with Cincinnati if they could field a winning team. Good baseball towns, beautiful new parks, easier league to compete in, etc.

Signings like this, though, puzzle me sometimes.

FedEx227
12-25-2006, 10:13 AM
For me, 4 years and $42 million for Jeff Suppan seems like a Pyrrhic victory for a team like the Brewers. Yes, they went out and got a guy to give them innings, and adding him to Capuano, Davis, and Bush (all 200+ inning guys last year), plus Sheets (when he's healthy, he's an upper echelon pitcher comparable to any other NL Central team's #1 guy), makes sense on the surface, but in my opinion that price tag is way too high for a 32 year old.

Davis was actually traded earlier in the offseason to the Diamondbacks for Johnny Estrada.

So their rotation appears to be looking like:

Sheets, Capuano, Suppan, Bush and either Villanueva/Vargas/Capellean

Jjav829
12-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Another awful contract. They are going to really regret this deal in two years when they're desperately looking to move Suppan's contract so they can afford to sign their young players and still be players in free agency.

In the short-term, the addition of Suppan improves their chances of being a contender in 2007. However, they're going to need a healthy Ben Sheets all year to be a contender.

FedEx227
12-25-2006, 10:19 PM
This really screws up their chances of being able to resign Prince Fielder, Ben Sheets and Rickie Weeks in the future.

nedlug
12-26-2006, 12:11 AM
This really screws up their chances of being able to resign Prince Fielder, Ben Sheets and Rickie Weeks in the future.

Would they really be wanting to lock up Sheets long-term? I know some moron GM will throw 3-4 years at him when his contract gets up, but isn't he too injury-prone to smartly give him that?

FedEx227
12-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Would they really be wanting to lock up Sheets long-term? I know some moron GM will throw 3-4 years at him when his contract gets up, but isn't he too injury-prone to smartly give him that?

I would think so, but the market is REALLY changing, Sheets would be likely to get a 5-6 year deal, no joke.

Unfortunately, the team is going to realize he is very lazy. Not sure if this is a good assessment or not, but I've seen 7 Sheets starts in Milwaukee and one thing I noticed he has probably the worst pre-game regime I've ever seen. He stretches for only a short period of time almost 1/2 of what I've seen normal pitchers stretch and only runs about 4 wind-sprints.

Also of the times I've seen him warm up he is maybe 20% fastball, 80% other which is a bit alarming considering he throws many more fastballs come game time. I'm no baseball expert, so I'm not sure that I'm not just nitpicking.

DumpJerry
12-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Suppan stays in the NL, Zito moves to the NL. I likey these deals.