PDA

View Full Version : Masset in Mexico

jabrch
12-23-2006, 11:39 PM
From Rotoworld

"Before coming home from Mexico, he had 15 saves and a 22/2 K/BB ratio in 20 2/3 innings this winter."

I'm not sure what his DIPS, VORP or WARP5 is, but I know that's pretty damn good, even if you have to convert it from pesos to dollars.

ilsox7
12-23-2006, 11:41 PM
From Rotoworld

"Before coming home from Mexico, he had 15 saves and a 22/2 K/BB ratio in 20 2/3 innings this winter."

I'm not sure what his DIPS, VORP or WARP5 is, but I know that's pretty damn good, even if you have to convert it from pesos to dollars.

I have a serious question that may come off as me insulting stats people, but it is not intended to. Are DIPS, VORP, and WARP5 actual statistics? I am pretty sure I've heard of VORP, hence my thinking the other two may actually be real. Can anyone shed some light?

jabrch
12-23-2006, 11:49 PM
I have a serious question that may come off as me insulting stats people, but it is not intended to. Are DIPS, VORP, and WARP5 actual statistics? I am pretty sure I've heard of VORP, hence my thinking the other two may actually be real. Can anyone shed some light?

DIPS = Defensive Independent Pitching Statistics
VORP = Value of Replacement Player
WARP = Wins Above Replacement Player

Now there are 3 WARPs, WARP-1, WARP-2 and WARP-3. WARP - 1 is an non-adjusted number. WARP-2 factors in league differences. WARP-3 factors in games played - noramlizing to a 162 game season - I believe.

So yes - they are real statisics. I took the liberty of going to WARP-5, only because I was watching the Tribbles episode of Star Trek and Kirk was ordering Scotty to get to WARP-5. But the point still stands.

ilsox7
12-23-2006, 11:50 PM

Now there are 3 WARPs, WARP-1, WARP-2 and WARP-3. WARP - 1 is an non-adjusted number. WARP-2 factors in league differences. WARP-3 factors in games played - noramlizing to a 162 game season - I believe.

So yes - they are real statisics. I took the liberty of going to WARP-5, only because I was watching the Tribbles episode of Star Trek and Kirk was ordering Scotty to get to WARP-5. But the point still stands.

My head hurts.

jabrch
12-23-2006, 11:56 PM
My head hurts.

You aint seen nothing yet.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/glossary/index.php?context=all&category=true

Go down the list and try and digest some of this ****...

Here's the thing. Statistics are great - when looked at in context. The problem is the desire for some to take some of these statistics out of context; and to evaluate players strictly on one or two numbers, rather than on the context of a baseball game.

ilsox7
12-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Here's the thing. Statistics are great - when looked at in context. The problem is the desire for some to take some of these statistics out of context; and to evaluate players strictly on one or two numbers, rather than on the context of a baseball game.

I agree 100%. Stats can add a lot to the analysis and scouting of the game. But nothing can ever replace watching the game and how it is played. Baseball is not corporate finance: you cannot do pro forma models and somewhat accurately predict the future or control earnings.

JB98
12-24-2006, 12:49 AM
I agree 100%. Stats can add a lot to the analysis and scouting of the game. But nothing can ever replace watching the game and how it is played. Baseball is not corporate finance: you cannot do pro forma models and somewhat accurately predict the future or control earnings.

I look forward to seeing the new acquisitions pitch. I'll form some opinions about them during spring training. Frankly, all this stathead stuff means nothing to me.

whitesoxfan1986
12-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Is Masset's future in the majors exclusively as a reliever? Is there any chance he may be a starter?

ilsox7
12-24-2006, 12:58 AM
I look forward to seeing the new acquisitions pitch. I'll form some opinions about them during spring training. Frankly, all this stathead stuff means nothing to me.

I've never been to Soxspring training. I wish I could go this year. I'd love milling around all of those B games to watch these guys throw.

JB98
12-24-2006, 01:24 AM
I've never been to Soxspring training. I wish I could go this year. I'd love milling around all of those B games to watch these guys throw.

Me neither, but since I work nights, I get to watch the spring training games in the afternoon on Comcast Sportsnet. It really is a nice way to get a look at all of our prospects. Ozzie isn't shy about giving the minor-leaguers a chance in those games.

MetroPD
12-24-2006, 05:55 AM
Is Masset's future in the majors exclusively as a reliever? Is there any chance he may be a starter?
After the season our relievers had last year, I'd be happy to have some quality guys come right out of the pen. If anything the time used could be much as what the Sox did with Brandon McCarthy last year, experience building. It can't be much worse.

QCIASOXFAN
12-24-2006, 07:17 AM

23 years of baseball/old mansoftball/hr derbey/slugger/obessive sox fan, and I had no of this stuff you speak of.:nuts:

jabrch
12-24-2006, 08:57 AM
23 years of baseball/old mansoftball/hr derbey/slugger/obessive sox fan, and I had no of this stuff you speak of.:nuts:

There is lots of cool stuff being done with numbers on spreadsheets. There's even cooler stuff being done between the chalk lines that those numbers will never be able to mathematically digest.

fquaye149
12-24-2006, 11:51 AM

I don't think the calculate VORP in bar-league softball:cool:

Craig Grebeck
12-24-2006, 12:18 PM
There is lots of cool stuff being done with numbers on spreadsheets. There's even cooler stuff being done between the chalk lines that those numbers will never be able to mathematically digest.
And they're not mutually exclusive!

jabrch
12-24-2006, 06:51 PM
And they're not mutually exclusive!

That's not the attitude of the loyalists to either philosophy.