PDA

View Full Version : Next Move

clarkent
12-23-2006, 11:08 PM
I believe there is another move coming and it will be off the free agent list. I am intersted in some of the names-- many could be good 5th starters.

Who do you think it might be?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2705758

PalehosePlanet
12-23-2006, 11:22 PM
I think the 5th starter will be probably come from within the organization. I'm leaning towards Charlie Hagar at the moment. Of the FAs Steve Trachsel would probably come fairly cheap and will certainly put up better numbers than a Jason Marquis.

clarkent
12-23-2006, 11:26 PM
I think the 5th starter will be probably come from within the organization. I'm leaning towards Charlie Hagar at the moment. Of the FAs Steve Trachsel would probably come fairly cheap and will certainly put up better numbers than a Jason Marquis.

I think Trachsel, Franklin or Ohka would be a good insurance policy.
And why not Mulder who won't be ready until June? Remember this is only for the 5th spot.

A. Cavatica
12-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Redman? Don't forget, Ozzie made him an All-Star.

clarkent
12-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Redman? Don't forget, Ozzie made him an All-Star.
He wouldn't be a bad 5th either.

Craig Grebeck
12-23-2006, 11:48 PM
He wouldn't be a bad 5th either.
If you'd settle for Mark Redman, you might as well just put any of our young guys in there. Redman is pathetic.

SABRSox
12-24-2006, 12:52 AM
Kenny will throw a ton of money at Roger Clemens.

ilsox7
12-24-2006, 01:06 AM

I think KW would if there was even a remote chance of him considering it. But all signs point to there being no chance in hell that happens.

oeo
12-24-2006, 01:22 AM

Roger Clemens is everything Kenny Williams isn't. I just don't see Kenny going after a guy that will not travel with the team and only be with the team when he starts. Screw Clemens.

SABRSox
12-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Hey, I don't really like the idea of Clemens not traveling on the road, and all of that. But if ever there was a time Kenny just said, "**** it, what's it going to take, Roger?" now would be that time.

jabrch
12-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Hey, I don't really like the idea of Clemens not traveling on the road, and all of that. But if ever there was a time Kenny just said, "**** it, what's it going to take, Roger?" now would be that time.

I think that the only way to get him right now is to be in Houston or NY. I don't see him going anywhere other than those two cities.

NonetheLoaiza
12-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Mark Mulder is my guess. Under the radar, of course.

Bucky F. Dent
12-24-2006, 12:36 PM
IMHO, the next move has to be in the outfield, and as far as I can tell, it's not anyone on the free agent wire. Positively nothing left worth wasting your money on on that list.

CanBuehrleWait
12-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Bring em home. Even if Ozzie kinda trashed him :redneck

JUribe1989
12-24-2006, 06:44 PM
If you'd settle for Mark Redman, you might as well just put any of our young guys in there. Redman is pathetic.

And you're the guy who made the post wondering if posters on WSI watched baseball? Well, as long as you watch baseball you should know that Mark Redman would be an extremely formidable fifth starter. In 2 of his starts against us last year he went 7 IP and gave up 2 ER in May, and in September he went 7 IP and gave up 1 ER. He also pitched great in numerous other starts against AL Central foes. And it's a known fact that our division has lots of trouble with the slowball pitcher types like Redman.

ilsox7
12-24-2006, 06:46 PM
And you're the guy who made the post wondering if posters on WSI watched baseball? Well, as long as you watch baseball you should know that Mark Redman would be an extremely formidable fifth starter. In 2 of his starts against us last year he went 7 IP and gave up 2 ER in May, and in September he went 7 IP and gave up 1 ER. He also pitched great in numerous other starts against AL Central foes. And it's a known fact that our division has lots of trouble with the slowball pitcher types like Redman.

Mark Redman had an ERA of 5.71 last year. His WHIP was 1.59. Opponents hit .307 against him. He SUCKS. Regardless of what he did in 2 of his 29 games last year, he completely blew the rest of the time.

infohawk
12-24-2006, 11:35 PM
You know, I thought about that. Clemens would be expensive, but it would probably be a one-year deal for a top-of-the-rotation pitcher. I can honestly see where the Sox might consider shelling out the dough to bring him in for one year. I don't know if it will happen, but I'll bet their have at least been some discussions internally about it.

Craig Grebeck
12-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Mark Redman had an ERA of 5.71 last year. His WHIP was 1.59. Opponents hit .307 against him. He SUCKS. Regardless of what he did in 2 of his 29 games last year, he completely blew the rest of the time.
But did you watch two of his starts last year? He shut down guys like Brian Anderson, Juan Uribe, and Scott Podsednik.

itsnotrequired
12-25-2006, 09:32 AM
But did you watch two of his starts last year? He shut down guys like Brian Anderson, Juan Uribe, and Scott Podsednik.

Anderson went 3-7 with a walk against Redman last season. Podsednik never faced him. He did have Uribe's number though and went 1-8 with 3 Ks.

Craig Grebeck
12-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Anderson went 3-7 with a walk against Redman last season. Podsednik never faced him. He did have Uribe's number though and went 1-8 with 3 Ks.
I was referencing the comment about Redman being formidable based on him shutting us down.

itsnotrequired
12-25-2006, 12:51 PM
I was referencing the comment about Redman being formidable based on him shutting us down.

The Sox owned Redman at The Cell in 2006. As a team they hit .356 against him.

TheOldRoman
12-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I would think so normally, but someone is going to give him a monstrous contract despite his injury. It looks like he will sign with Arizona.

ChiTownTrojan
12-25-2006, 01:26 PM

Shouldn't that be in teal? Who DIDN'T shut down those guys last year?

ChiTownTrojan
12-25-2006, 01:27 PM
You know, I thought about that. Clemens would be expensive, but it would probably be a one-year deal for a top-of-the-rotation pitcher. I can honestly see where the Sox might consider shelling out the dough to bring him in for one year. I don't know if it will happen, but I'll bet their have at least been some discussions internally about it.
If there was any chance of it actually happening, I'm sure they would open up the wallet. But Clemens doesn't want to start over with a new team and new city now. The only places that have a shot are Houston, NY, and Boston.

ChiTownTrojan
12-25-2006, 01:29 PM
And it's a known fact that our division has lots of trouble with the slowball pitcher types like Redman.

Then how about a slowball pitcher like Haeger? :cool: