PDA

View Full Version : "Untouchable" players the Sox can acquire now?

nodiggity59
12-23-2006, 05:20 PM
The Sox have acquired the following players this offseason:

Aardsma
Vasquez
Floyd
Gonzalez
Sisco
Danks
Masset

Packaged in some combo with their own prospects, could they make a run at Willis or Cabrera? Who else would even be desirable?

spiffie
12-23-2006, 05:48 PM
The Sox have acquired the following players this offseason:

Aardsma
Vasquez
Floyd
Gonzalez
Sisco
Danks
Masset

Packaged in some combo with their own prospects, could they make a run at Willis or Cabrera? Who else would even be desirable?
Tejada or Cabrera is pretty much the end of my discussion on this one. A-Rod if there's significant money sent back our way.

AnkleSox
12-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Hopefully a serviceable fifth starter... that is, if none of the new prospects can fill the role.

I really just don't want to see 2000-2004 again.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Hopefully a serviceable fifth starter... that is, if none of the new prospects can fill the role.

I really just don't want to see 2000-2004 again.
:(:Oh, god. I hope not too.:(:

Tragg
12-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Since when did Willis become an elite starter? He isn't and he isn't close. Florida has been quietly peddling him for a year.

He's priced like he is an elite starter, however. One aspect is that he's a showman, the fans like him, but that is of no value to the Sox. The Sox don't need gimmicks right now.

the1tab
12-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Can someone please explain to me why Kenny Williams sold out the kid that made Freddy Garcia expendable for a bunch of crap?

The "Rangers' top pick of 2003" has a career minor league record of 9 games under .500 and an ERA in the mid 4.00's. The other two guys also have little to nothing to show for their days in Double- and Triple-A.

If Kenny seriously thinks that sitting on the foul pole and spinning is an "aggresively conservative" approach to a productive offseason, he can pay me back for my season tickets. I have NO plans of being excited about what 2009 might look like. Dye and Crede have one year left in Chicago, and we have done nothing but ask them to play gold glove defense to make up for a new pitching staff that hasn't hit puberty.

There better be more moves coming, and soon. This one really pisses me off.

the1tab
12-23-2006, 09:34 PM
\

If Kenny Williams is too cheap to give Joe Crede, the homegrown stud, what he deserves, do you really think he's going to stare down the barrel of Cabrera's possible $200 million deal in 2009? Hell no!

Kenny needs to buy a clue, and quick

Daver
12-23-2006, 09:37 PM
If Kenny seriously thinks that sitting on the foul pole and spinning is an "aggresively conservative" approach to a productive offseason, he can pay me back for my season tickets. I have NO plans of being excited about what 2009 might look like. Dye and Crede have one year left in Chicago, and we have done nothing but ask them to play gold glove defense to make up for a new pitching staff that hasn't hit puberty.

Contact your ticket rep, and explain to him that Kenny pissed in your Wheaties, and you want a refund for your tickets.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Can someone please explain to me why Kenny Williams sold out the kid that made Freddy Garcia expendable for a bunch of crap?

The "Rangers' top pick of 2003" has a career minor league record of 9 games under .500 and an ERA in the mid 4.00's. The other two guys also have little to nothing to show for their days in Double- and Triple-A.

Have you ever considered calling in to sportsblab radio? You're sure to be a hit!

jabrch
12-24-2006, 12:00 AM
If Kenny Williams is too cheap to give Joe Crede, the homegrown stud, what he deserves, do you really think he's going to stare down the barrel of Cabrera's possible $200 million deal in 2009? Hell no!

Clean up in aisle 12 please...

TheOldRoman
12-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Have you ever considered calling in to sportsblab radio? You're sure to be a hit!
I can hear it now.
"Alright, we are back on the Score. Our next called is an irate blowhard Sox fan 'the1tab'. Tab, how are you feelin'"

"Not too good Murph. I was at the Grandstands today when I heard we was trading McCarthy for a frickin pile of nuthin. This team ain't goin nowhere. Where is the talent? They are gettin rid of Crede, gettin rid of Dye, tradin all der pitchers... this is a joke. I wish we had a good GM like Jim Hendry. He knows that you gotta spend some frickin money to win. Williams needs to be fired now. He has made too many mistakes. First of all, Judy Garland is horrible, and he should have been traded long ago. Kenny's biggest mistake was not signing Omar Viss-kell. He is too friggin cheap, thats why. Buehrle aint got it no more. He will be lucky to win a game next year."***

"Tab, I think you hit the nail on the head."

*** All were comments I heard at my old barber shop which was filled with ignorant, know-nothing blowhards.

XplodingScorbord
12-24-2006, 12:42 AM
I can hear it now.
"Alright, we are back on the Score. Our next called is an irate blowhard Sox fan 'the1tab'. Tab, how are you feelin'"

"Not too good Murph. I was at the Grandstands today when I heard we was trading McCarthy for a frickin pile of nuthin. This team ain't goin nowhere. Where is the talent? They are gettin rid of Crede, gettin rid of Dye, tradin all der pitchers... this is a joke. I wish we had a good GM like Jim Hendry. He knows that you gotta spend some frickin money to win. Williams needs to be fired now. He has made too many mistakes. First of all, Judy Garland is horrible, and he should have been traded long ago. Kenny's biggest mistake was not signing Omar Viss-kell. He is too friggin cheap, thats why. Buehrle aint got it no more. He will be lucky to win a game next year."***

"Tab, you're goin' to Brown's Chicken, Beef, Pasta, Hot Dogs, and Oil Changes for being the caller of the day!"

SOXSINCE'70
12-24-2006, 10:53 AM

*** All were comments I heard at my old barber shop which was filled with ignorant, know-nothing blowhards.

This is why I thank God I can afford a satellite radio in my car.

tick53
12-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Tampa Bay said in order for them to let Rocco Baldelli go, they would want two hard throwers and an outfielder. Maybe this is what Kenny has in mind.

NonetheLoaiza
12-24-2006, 11:09 AM

Minor league numbers tell a portion of the story. If minor league numbers were the end all and be all, we would have a rotation that would include Felix Diaz and Arnie Munoz.

the1tab
12-24-2006, 02:52 PM
First off, I've talked to Murph before. I'm a lot more literate than you paint me as. There ain't no way I'd use a wurd like "der" in a sentence.

In regards to the gentleman who is claiming Kenny Williams head is out of his cavity far enough to be putting a package together for Rocco Baldelli, if all Tampa wants is two arms and an OF, what's wrong with the dozen arms listed at the top of this discussion pre-McCarthy-Give-Up-Day? Couldn't we have moveda couple of the other arms we've got laying around gathering dust instead of throwing our rotation under the bus for the sake of having prospects to trade for a CF?

I look at our rotation and I see a guy in Vazquez who can't go 6 innings and a hole in the 5th spot of the rotation that could be seen by NASA. The bullpenis younger... but better?

Any money on the first place Don Cooper will send his resume in March?

ilsox7
12-24-2006, 03:04 PM
First off, I've talked to Murph before. I'm a lot more literate than you paint me as. There ain't no way I'd use a wurd like "der" in a sentence.

In regards to the gentleman who is claiming Kenny Williams head is out of his cavity far enough to be putting a package together for Rocco Baldelli, if all Tampa wants is two arms and an OF, what's wrong with the dozen arms listed at the top of this discussion pre-McCarthy-Give-Up-Day? Couldn't we have moveda couple of the other arms we've got laying around gathering dust instead of throwing our rotation under the bus for the sake of having prospects to trade for a CF?

I look at our rotation and I see a guy in Vazquez who can't go 6 innings and a hole in the 5th spot of the rotation that could be seen by NASA. The bullpenis younger... but better?

Any money on the first place Don Cooper will send his resume in March?

1. Tampa Bay is asking absurdly high prices for their players. So, if we are moving to make a deal with them, they are not going to take anything but top prospects. Our players "laying around gathering dust" won't do the trick.

2. Vazquez is a #4 starter. He has potential to be more, but as a #4, he is pretty darn good.

3. Brandon McCarthy, a young, unproven arm, was pencilled in to be our #5 starter. Instead, another young, unproven arm will be our #5 starter. How is this giving up or a drastic change?

It's comments like "Brandon McCarthy Give-Up-Day" and "where will Coop send his resume in March" that make people disrespect and discount your thoughts in what could be an intelligent exchange of ideas.

Daver
12-24-2006, 03:47 PM
First off, I've talked to Murph before. I'm a lot more literate than you paint me as.

You're not doing much of a job proving it.

Maybe you should stick to calling The Score.

ChiTownTrojan
12-24-2006, 03:59 PM
It's comments like "Brandon McCarthy Give-Up-Day" and "where will Coop send his resume in March" that make people disrespect and discount your thoughts in what could be an intelligent exchange of ideas.

I actually bet that Coop is loving this. He gets a bunch of new toys to play with next year. Merry Christmas! :D:

ilsox7
12-24-2006, 04:01 PM
I actually bet that Coop is loving this. He gets a bunch of new toys to play with next year. Merry Christmas! :D:

Coop has already been quoted as saying he loves a challenge and that sometimes change is good. There have also been some inferences that he and McCarthy did not see eye to eye. (no height jokes please)

soxfan13
12-26-2006, 10:49 AM

But you will spell word wrong and use aint in a sentence!!!!

nedlug
12-26-2006, 01:33 PM
A-Rod? :drool:

maurice
12-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Y'know, having been offline for the past several days, I was very concerned that I'd return to a wastland of unnavigable, crazy posts. A lot of people who couldn't even name the guys we got from Texas (much less tell you anything about them) are extremely peeved, and were certain to inflict their particular brand of nonsense at WSI.

Thanks to the mods, ilsox, et al. kicking ass and taking names while I was eating X-Mas cookies.
:gulp:

ChiTownTrojan
12-26-2006, 08:00 PM

hehehe.... bull penis.
:redneck

barney27
12-27-2006, 09:14 AM

Danks is widley considered a top 10 prospect in all of baseball. On top of that he is only three years removed from HS. Not that I am defending KW's trade but these guys are Sox now lets give them some time. On top of that I think Masset was the jewel of this trade, he has been blowing people away in winter league, and seems ready to take a setup spot in the bullpen. Our pen was our weakpoint last year and it has improved immensly with Sisco, Ardesma, and Masset, plus the resigning of Mac the ninth. Our bullpen rounds out to:
Sisco
Ardesma
Mac
Thorton
Jenks
Masset
sounds awfully good to me, much improved over last year.

TheVulture
12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Since when did Willis become an elite starter? He isn't and he isn't close. Florida has been quietly peddling him for a year.

Why would anyone think a guy who won 22 games with a 2.63 ERA at age 23 is an elite pitcher? That's got me scratching my head, too.

RKMeibalane
12-27-2006, 10:53 PM

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

RKMeibalane
12-27-2006, 10:54 PM
There ain't no way I'd use a wurd like "der" in a sentence.

Kittle42 is going to kick your ass.