PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 12-23

Lip Man 1
12-23-2006, 01:52 AM
December 23, 1990 - Sox fans get an early Christmas gift as new G.M. Ron Schueler makes one of his first and best deals. Schueler sends outfielder Ivan Calderon and pitcher Barry Jones to Montreal for All Star left fielder and stolen base threat Tim "Rock" Raines and pitcher Jeff Carter. Raines would provide speed at the top of the order. He stole 143 bases in his five years with the Sox and he hit .444 in the 1993 ALCS against Toronto.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/7d/a5/a7c7_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Tim-Raines-Autographed-Baseball-Card_W0QQitemZ190065123920QQihZ009QQcategoryZ73396 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
12-23-2006, 02:42 AM
December 23, 1990 - Sox fans get an early Christmas gift as new G.M. Ron Schueler makes one of his first and best deals. Schueler sends outfielder Ivan Calderon and pitcher Barry Jones to Montreal for All Star left fielder and stolen base threat Tim "Rock" Raines and pitcher Jeff Carter. Raines would provide speed at the top of the order. He stole 143 bases in his five years with the Sox and he hit .444 in the 1993 ALCS against Toronto.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/7d/a5/a7c7_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Tim-Raines-Autographed-Baseball-Card_W0QQitemZ190065123920QQihZ009QQcategoryZ73396 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Lip

This was one of, if not the best move by Ron Schueler. Tim Raines should be a first ballot Hall of Famer though I think the BBWAA will screw it up (I hope I am wrong).

Glad to see you back Lip and I would like to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas, including your son who is hopefully still home (or at least in America) after his tour in Iraq.

SSHM

Britt Burns
12-23-2006, 03:22 AM
I remember reading about this deal in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (IIRC) whilst visiting relatives over the holidays and thinking...YES! Shows how much faith Schu had in Frank (and to a lesser extent) Robin--Calderon had been the Sox biggest power threat the previous 3 seasons, and he trades him for a tablesetter for guys who had yet to really prove themselves at the ML level. Great trade, and getting a marquis name name ahead of the new park and a new-look team that was damn good for the half-decade.

StatManDu
12-23-2006, 03:27 AM
Jeff Carter's claim to fame? He was the Sox starting pitcher in the July 31, 1991 game in which Robin Ventura hit a walkoff grand slam off Texas' Rich Gossage.

The Sox have that trade taking place on the 24th.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Calderon became expendable after it became obvious Frank Thomas would provide all the offensive power the Sox would need for a long time to come. Still I was sorry to see Calderon go. He had a lot of style.

http://flyingsock.com/BaseballCards/Calderon88.jpg

I have one of his old bats and it is still one of my favorite pieces of White Sox memorabilia. I pick it up and start swinging when I'm on conference calls.
:redface:

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I remember where I was when I learned about this trade - watching ESPN in a motel in Blytheville, Arkansas.

My family had left Chicago to drive to Houston for Christmas. We listened to the Bears beat Tampa Bay 27-14 on the van's radio. Just outside of St. Louis, snow and ice began to fall much faster than snow plows and salt trucks could clear it. We had hoped to make it to Texarkana or at least Little Rock, but by 4 p.m. the Arkansas State Police had closed I-55 and I-40. So we had to stay overnight in Blytheville.

After checking in, we tuned into ESPN to see what else had happened aroud the NFL that day, when we saw that the Sox had acquired Raines. Like PHG, I was sad to see Calderon go, but knew that Raines would be huge leading off with Frank Thomas batting third.

Hitmen77
12-23-2006, 11:38 AM
IIRC, at first many saw this as a bad trade by the Sox. In the first half of the '91 season Calderon was on fire for Montreal and, in fact, he ended up starting in the All-Star game (not voted in, but named as a starter to replace someone who dropped out of the game).

At the same time, Raines really struggled in his first few months with the Sox. Of course, the local media really had a field day with this - crowing about how the Sox made such a boneheaded move.

But, Calderon quickly faded and never again saw the success he had with the Sox. Raines rebounded to be an important part of those successful early 90s Sox teams. Of course, once the trade started looking good for the Sox, i think it was hardly mentioned in the local press again.

StatManDu
12-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Calderon was an interesting figure, IMO. His numbers were good and he played a key role in that renaissance season of 1990. BUT he still comported himself in such a manner that a friend of mine referred to him as "The Dog."

Raines did get off to horrendous start with the Sox. When he first arrived, he made it clear that he wanted to be known as "Rock." When his average dipped below .100, Sox management named him Tim again.

TommyJohn
12-23-2006, 12:55 PM
IIRC, at first many saw this as a bad trade by the Sox. In the first half of the '91 season Calderon was on fire for Montreal and, in fact, he ended up starting in the All-Star game (not voted in, but named as a starter to replace someone who dropped out of the game).

At the same time, Raines really struggled in his first few months with the Sox. Of course, the local media really had a field day with this - crowing about how the Sox made such a boneheaded move.

But, Calderon quickly faded and never again saw the success he had with the Sox. Raines rebounded to be an important part of those successful early 90s Sox teams. Of course, once the trade started looking good for the Sox, i think it was hardly mentioned in the local press again.

Shades of 1985. LaMarr Hoyt started out 13-3 for San Diego and even
started and won the All-Star Game that year. The Chicago media had
a field day with it. Harry Caray even crowed by introducing Hoyt for a
10th inning interview as "the hottest pitcher in the National League!"
Of course, Hoyt faded due to arm problems and drugs, while the other
side of the trade paid off in a huge way for 12 years and again in 2005.

:moron

"and what way is that, scum Sox fan?"

batmanZoSo
12-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Raines is one of my favorite players of all time and I think he should be a hall of famer. He's got the numbers and the oh, so important ring with New York.

Hitmen77
12-24-2006, 10:27 AM
...one more thing about Calderon - interestingly he ended up back with the Sox 2 1/2 seasons later ('93), but by then he was washed up and that was his last season in baseball.

Too bad his life was cut short. RIP Ivan. :(:

Hitmen77
12-24-2006, 10:29 AM
So 16 years later to the day, the Sox make another bombshell trade. It'll be interesting to see in 3-5 years what we'll be saying about "This date in Sox history: 12-23-2006".