PDA

View Full Version : Rauch 'the Buehrle of 2002'

Chisox_cali
03-09-2002, 11:27 PM
RAUCH (http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,177285,00.html)

czalgosz
03-09-2002, 11:30 PM
That would make me pretty nervous. Buerhle had shown promise in 2000, and it was obvious that he was making the team in some capacity last season. Rauch is an unknown quantity right now.

Chisox_cali
03-09-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
That would make me pretty nervous. Buerhle had shown promise in 2000, and it was obvious that he was making the team in some capacity last season. Rauch is an unknown quantity right now.

But ya really never know, he could break camp and just explode. We wont know until April 1st.

czalgosz
03-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

But ya really never know, he could break camp and just explode. We wont know until April 1st.

I hope you're right... Right now he seems to be the only pitcher that Manuel's happy with.

Chisox_cali
03-09-2002, 11:55 PM

I hope you're right... Right now he seems to be the only pitcher that Manuel's happy with.

I hope so too. And yeah it does seem like he's the only injured pitcher Manuel's happy with. Looking good so far: Buehrle, Garland, and Rauch.

If Danny Wrong gets hit up tomorrow against the A's it will look that much better for Rauch to grab that no.5 spot

Daver
03-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Jack Macdowell was the same way.

Chisox_cali
03-10-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by daver
Jack Macdowell was the same way.

The same in that he jumped from AA to the rotation without prior experience?

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 12:07 AM

The same in that he jumped from AA to the rotation without prior experience?

No, noone expected Jack McDowell to make the team in 1990 - he had had an audition in 1988, was mediocre, and was reassigned to the minors, apparently for good. He impressed everyone at Spring Training in 1990 and ended up the Sox ace by the end of the year.

Chisox_cali
03-10-2002, 12:09 AM

No, noone expected Jack McDowell to make the team in 1990 - he had had an audition in 1988, was mediocre, and was reassigned to the minors, apparently for good. He impressed everyone at Spring Training in 1990 and ended up the Sox ace by the end of the year.

Ohhh ok.....I didn't really know thanks for clearing that up. Thats kind of like Buehrle with the jump to the ace position last year.

Daver
03-10-2002, 12:10 AM

He shoots,he scores!

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 12:11 AM

Ohhh ok.....I didn't really know thanks for clearing that up. Thats kind of like Buehrle with the jump to the ace position last year.

Wow, hard to believe it was already 12 years ago...

Daver
03-10-2002, 12:12 AM

Makes me feel old,don't do that again.:redneck

Chisox_cali
03-10-2002, 12:14 AM

And I didnt know those fact because I was hmmmmm...... 5 at the time.

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 12:14 AM

LOL! You probably don't even remember Old Comiskey, do you?

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 12:16 AM

Makes me feel old,don't do that again.:redneck

I'll try to keep it to a bare minimum.

Chisox_cali
03-10-2002, 12:17 AM

LOL! You probably don't even remember Old Comiskey, do you?

Barely I wish I could remember it vividly like most of you guys :whiner: I know I had been there a few times because I recently found some old photo's of me and my dad at a game but I could have been there a couple of other times as a baby and pictures werent taken.

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 12:18 AM

Barely I wish I could remember it vividly like most of you guys :whiner: I know I had been there a few times because I recently found some old photo's of me and my dad at a game but I could have been there a couple of other times as a baby and pictures werent taken.

It was a great place. I still miss it.

Daver
03-10-2002, 12:21 AM

Old Comiskey was a legend,a shrine to the game,the stadium on the south of 35th street is not.

Chisox_cali
03-10-2002, 12:22 AM

Hey just be glad that when you close your eyes you can at least picture the place vividly. I can only picture the new place and not even that well I havent been there since '98

nut_stock
03-10-2002, 12:23 AM
How hard does Raunch throw? What are his best pitches?

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 12:23 AM

Hey just be glad that when you close your eyes you can at least picture the place vividly. I can only picture the new place and not even that well I havent been there since '98

You've been there more recently than I have - 1994 was my last visit to Comiskey.

GASHWOUND
03-10-2002, 12:25 AM

I only went to Old Comiskey 5 times in my life, the first time I was only 4...so don't remeber the first few times that well. But my last trip to Comiskey 1 was in '89, which would have made me around 9. I have pics from that game that I'll cherrish though.

Chisox_cali
03-10-2002, 12:29 AM

Old Comiskey was a legend,a shrine to the game,the stadium on the south of 35th street is not.

Hey if I had a time machine that place would be the first stop :smile:

Daver
03-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
How hard does Raunch throw? What are his best pitches?

When healthy he throws in the low 90's,he is not a power pitcher ala R. Johnson though,he also throws a slider and a curve,and can change speeds on his fastball.

nut_stock
03-10-2002, 12:40 AM

When healthy he throws in the low 90's,he is not a power pitcher ala R. Johnson though,he also throws a slider and a curve,and can change speeds on his fastball.

Manuel was quoted as saying that Raunch not only has good stuff, but knows how to pitch.

GASHWOUND
03-10-2002, 12:41 AM

you're telling me that new Comiskey isn't a legend, and a shrine to the game!!! I'm shocked you would say such a thing.

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock

Manuel was quoted as saying that Raunch not only has good stuff, but knows how to pitch.

Best case scenario - think Greg Maddux, only a foot taller.

Pete_SSAC
03-10-2002, 12:45 AM

I was 8, and I DO remeber the old Comiskey, I have odd images of driving past it when it was being torn down too. And going to a Blue Jays and A's game.

Very vauge though.

- Pete

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

I was 8, and I DO remeber the old Comiskey, I have odd images of driving past it when it was being torn down too. And going to a Blue Jays and A's game.

Very vauge though.

- Pete

My last game at Comiskey Park that I remember - The Sox clobbered the Yankees 12-1 that day. Scott Fletcher hit a home run that hit the yellow stripe on top of the wall and caromed back into play. He was halfway to third before he saw the umpire's ruling.

Sammy Sosa hit a homer for the Sox that day too - after the Sox were already up by 9.

GASHWOUND
03-10-2002, 12:49 AM

Hey if I had a time machine that place would be the first stop :smile:

I'm a big fan of old Comiskey, but if I had a time machine OC would not be my first stop(even if I've never been there) buti get your point :smile:

Daver
03-10-2002, 12:50 AM

With a much better fastball,and intimidating the batter from the mound.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Chisox_cali
03-10-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

I'm a big fan of old Comiskey, but if I had a time machine OC would not be my first stop(even if I've never been there) buti get your point :smile:

Maybe it wouldnt be my first stop I dont know what my first stop would be but It would definately be one of the first. Course I dont have a time machine so I don't even know why the hell I'm typing this...

GASHWOUND
03-10-2002, 01:08 AM
Course I dont have a time machine so I don't even know why the hell I'm typing this...

lol, boredom? :smile:

Chisox_cali
03-10-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

lol, boredom? :smile:

ding! ding! ding!

Randar68
03-10-2002, 01:17 AM

Rauch was timed in the 8th inning of a game right at the end of the 2000 season, hitting 95-96 mph consistently. Maddux was never even able to do that in his dreams.

Generally, though, he'll throw about 93-94 and throws a cut fastball off that as well at about 88-90...

Reports I have read/heard indicate that his velocity will likely be up as he really took the conditioning program seriously and is in the best throwing shape of his life...

Randar68
03-10-2002, 01:19 AM
Sammy Sosa hit a homer for the Sox that day too - after the Sox were already up by 9.

LOL, it's flash-backs like this that remind us how little his attitude and performance in the "clutch, stat-padding innings" has never really changed

voodoochile
03-10-2002, 11:34 AM

With a much better fastball,and intimidating the batter from the mound.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Yeah, I've read that Rauch can hit 95 on the gun. Which is only considered low because of his height and the additional leverage that allows him to generate. He isn't a strict power pitcher, but he has plenty of giddyup on his fastball.

Randar beat me to it... He is the man if you are looking for minor league info, no doubt...

kermittheefrog
03-11-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Rauch was timed in the 8th inning of a game right at the end of the 2000 season, hitting 95-96 mph consistently. Maddux was never even able to do that in his dreams.

Generally, though, he'll throw about 93-94 and throws a cut fastball off that as well at about 88-90...

Reports I have read/heard indicate that his velocity will likely be up as he really took the conditioning program seriously and is in the best throwing shape of his life...

Yeah all the scouting reports I've read on Rauch emphasize his ability to maintain his velocity deep into games.

RichH55
03-11-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Yeah all the scouting reports I've read on Rauch emphasize his ability to maintain his velocity deep into games.

Just keeps sounding better and better.....I think of all the young arms we've collected he is probably an untouchable(duh), but his emergence later on this year, should allow us the leeway to make a trade or two to really turn that contender corner

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

That's sounds more accurate. I thought i heard he thre around 95. With this guy changing speeds and having a good breaking ball , it's got to be a bitch to pick up his release being close to 7 feet tall. I hope he's ready for the biggs. I can't wait to see him at Comiskey. (yeah, I know, I've said that before.) :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
but his emergence later on this year, should allow us the leeway to make a trade or two to really turn that contender corner

:reinsy
You paying for this new player? We can't afford the team we have now.

SOXit2EM
03-11-2002, 06:36 PM
From what I know, his 4 seam fastball is CONSISTENTLY around 95, his 2 seamer is the one he can cut, and that tops out around 91. He also has a Very Good curve to complement a plus change. Not only does he have good control, but he is also very difficult to pick up, as hitters have to adjust not only to his height, but also to his deceptive arm angles........... He is definitely an Ace'n'waiting. And I project him to make the 5th spot this year and win close to 20, w/ a era around 3; which would definitely make him the '02 "Rookie of the Year.

RichH55
03-11-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

You paying for this new player? We can't afford the team we have now.

Actually I was talking either late 2002 or for 2003....and by 2003 the books clean up as Royce begins his pouting in Newark....we clear about 15 million...half of that to get another player and Jerry the books will still look better than they did in 2002

Good Stuff kid....but stop bothering Kenny with this sunk cost crap, how do you expect him to retain plausible deniablity when you float all that "fuzzy math" out there?

:KW
Man! Look at this guy...he hit .406! Anyone got the number for Ted William's agent? We could use a good veteran out there