PDA

View Full Version : Howry for Bobby Hill?

jklm
03-09-2002, 11:15 PM
Sam Smith suggested Bob for Bob...

Check their poll.

http://www.chicagosports.com/cubs/content/story/0,1984,177281,00.html

Closer like Howry would ease sting of losing Gordon

Daver
03-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Please post links,in lieu of the entire article.

Thank you.

Pete_SSAC
03-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Harris and Hummel.

We have enough people to play second as it is. I think Howry would be better served getting us pitching.

- Pete

czalgosz
03-09-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Harris and Hummel.

We have enough people to play second as it is. I think Howry would be better served getting us pitching.

- Pete

Bobby Hill is a huge prospect. I really doubt that the Cubs would pull the trigger on that one, but if they do, it's a no-brainer. If you don't think there will be space for Hill, you either make room (by trading Hummell) or you trade him away. Hill could get you a lot more in return than Bob Howry could.

Pete_SSAC
03-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Bobby Hill is a huge prospect. I really doubt that the Cubs would pull the trigger on that one, but if they do, it's a no-brainer. If you don't think there will be space for Hill, you either make room (by trading Hummell) or you trade him away. Hill could get you a lot more in return than Bob Howry could.

Very true, I forgot about that.

Hey, as long as we are dreaming, how about Hummel, Howry, Clayton and Paul for Hill and Prior?

- Pete

jklm
03-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Bobby Hill for Bob Howry is a no brainer for the Sox. He is the clear number one 2B prospect in the league.

Vsahajpal
03-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by jklm
Sam Smith suggested Bob for Bob...

Check their poll.

http://www.chicagosports.com/cubs/content/story/0,1984,177281,00.html

Closer like Howry would ease sting of losing Gordon

Smith needs to stick to covering basketball.

Vsahajpal
03-09-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by jklm
Bobby Hill for Bob Howry is a no brainer for the Sox. He is the clear number one 2B prospect in the league.

Andy MacPhail wouldn't do it

czalgosz
03-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

I was wondering when you'd chime in on this, Vic...

Smith needs to look at the Cubs' roster. When Delino Desheilds is your everyday secondbaseman, you don't trade away the best 2B prospect in baseball.

Daver
03-09-2002, 11:27 PM

Damn shame Lynch is gone.:redneck

Vsahajpal
03-09-2002, 11:33 PM

When Delino Desheilds is your everyday secondbaseman

you had to go there didn't ya? kicking a guy when he's down...Why don't you remind me that Jesus Sanchez is the 5th starter, while yer at it.

:whiner:

Vsahajpal
03-09-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by daver

Damn shame Lynch is gone.:redneck

Did I ever tell you Ed Flynch's response this past fall at the AFL when I asked him why the Cubs didn't select Borchard in the 2000 amateur draft?

czalgosz
03-09-2002, 11:37 PM

you had to go there didn't ya? kicking a guy when he's down...Why don't you remind me that Jesus Sanchez is the 5th starter, while yer at it.

:whiner:

LOL! Hey, you can point out that Sandy Alomar, Jr. is the Sox starting catcher...

Chisox_cali
03-09-2002, 11:37 PM

Did I ever tell you Ed Flynch's response this past fall at the AFL when I asked him why the Cubs didn't select Borchard in the 2000 amateur draft?

Is this one of those things like "This guy was so tall..." "How tall was he?" :D:

czalgosz
03-09-2002, 11:38 PM

If you did, I missed it... what did he say?

Daver
03-09-2002, 11:39 PM

No you haven't,but then again the guy selected Beanball Ben,how smart can he be?

Vsahajpal
03-09-2002, 11:42 PM

If you did, I missed it... what did he say?

well first, I say, "Hey Ed, Why didn't we draft Borchard, clearly a need position in the system (prototype corner OF), and probably the best player on the board not named Harrington?"

And he says, "We? Are you with the Cubs?"

And so I say, "In the grand scheme of things, yes"

And he says, "I don't know why, he's a real good player."

*** is that? I don't know? If you don't know, and you're making the call, who the hell knows?

thank God for Jim Hendry

Vsahajpal
03-09-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by daver

No you haven't,but then again the guy selected Beanball Ben,how smart can he be?

Supposedly, that was Hendry's call. I'll never condone what Ben did, but man, he was a consensus top 5 pick before the incident, and he fell to 26.

DrCrawdad
03-09-2002, 11:44 PM

Because of character concerns?

Because you know that the Cubbies only draft guys with clean backgrounds.

Actually VIC I haven't read what Head said in response and I'd love for you to recount it.

- DrCrawdad.

czalgosz
03-09-2002, 11:49 PM

well first, I say, "Hey Ed, Why didn't we draft Borchard, clearly a need position in the system (prototype corner OF), and probably the best player on the board not named Harrington?"

And he says, "We? Are you with the Cubs?"

And so I say, "In the grand scheme of things, yes"

And he says, "I don't know why, he's a real good player."

*** is that? I don't know? If you don't know, and you're making the call, who the hell knows?

thank God for Jim Hendry

I just looked up Luis Montanez to see how he did last year... ouch. Sorry 'bout that.

RichH55
03-10-2002, 09:55 PM

I just looked up Luis Montanez to see how he did last year... ouch. Sorry 'bout that.

Ouch:) But seriously if you are going to pull one over in trade talks on the Cubs ...trading them a reliever who doesn't have his best stuff is the way to go! Garland for crap and then Quevado for Weathers.....both are trades that are really really going to look bad down the road and were panned at the time too

Vsahajpal
03-11-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Ouch:) But seriously if you are going to pull one over in trade talks on the Cubs ...trading them a reliever who doesn't have his best stuff is the way to go! Garland for crap and then Quevado for Weathers.....both are trades that are really really going to look bad down the road and were panned at the time too

Montanez will be fine this year, he struggled, but he was just 19 and entering his first full season of professional ball. He batted .180 in April, and .300 in September, obviously he improved over the season, which is what you want to see in a prospect with his ability.

Obviously Karchner for Garland was an asinine move by Lynch, but the Quevedo deal will end up in the Cubs favor if you ask me. In addition to receiving Weathers for half a season, they received a young Dominican pitching prospect with plus stuff (Roberto Miniel), and two high draft choices, the Mets 2nd rounder (56 overall), and a supplemental pick (36th overall). We'll see though.

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 07:07 AM
I would guess the scrubs had to learn their lesson from the Garland for karchner deal. Maybe not? I doubt this will happen, but Hill would be nice trade bait if they were to do this deal.

Vsahajpal
03-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I would guess the scrubs had to learn their lesson from the Garland for karchner deal. Maybe not? I doubt this will happen, but Hill would be nice trade bait if they were to do this deal.

From the Daily Herald:

The Cubs also were laughing over published speculation that they'd trade Hill to the White Sox for reliever Bob Howry. They say such a deal isn't even in the realm of possibility.

FarWestChicago
03-11-2002, 02:35 PM

From the Daily Herald:

The Cubs also were laughing over published speculation that they'd trade Hill to the White Sox for reliever Bob Howry. They say such a deal isn't even in the realm of possibility.
Lou Brock, Greg Maddux... Who are they laughing at? :smile:

Soxboyrob
03-11-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Lou Brock, Greg Maddux... Who are they laughing at? :smile:

Maddux wasn't traded. But Garland was....and Palmiero.