PDA

View Full Version : Riske Gone, signs with the Royals

HotelWhiteSox
12-20-2006, 10:33 PM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061220&content_id=1765317&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

We needed the pen help at the time, but really didn't like that deal

santo=dorf
12-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Why? We gave up a non-roster invitee to get him. At least we didn't give up a package involving Andy Marte to get him. :o:

Also, why is Dayton Moore trading young bullpen guys like MacDougal, Burgos and Sisco to make room for one year deal guys like Dotel and Riske?

SoxSpeed22
12-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Also, why is Dayton Moore trading young bullpen guys like MacDougal, Burgos and Sisco to make room for one year deal guys like Dotel and Riske?
He may attempt to stockpile more prospects by doing so. Of course, whether or not that works, we'll see.

DaleJRFan
12-21-2006, 01:16 AM
YES! Now the Sox can tee off on his wonderfully straight 87mph fastball! I love this signing!

SABRSox
12-21-2006, 01:48 AM
He may attempt to stockpile more prospects by doing so. Of course, whether or not that works, we'll see.

I think he's loading up for a trade deadline fire sale. It costs him nothing in terms of prospects to sign veteran free agents he only plans on keeping for half a season. It's actually not a bad strategy. Worse-case scenario is the guy is untradeable, and you cut ties with him at the end of the season.

Of course, that Gil Meche contract could become untradeable, and they could be in some trouble there.

Hitmen77
12-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Am I right that Riske was a Type A free agent, but since the Sox didn't offer him arbitration, we don't get a draft pick for losing him?

If that's correct, then why didn't the Sox just offer arbitration to him and then either get the draft pick if he declined or trade him if he accepted?

chisoxmike
12-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew he was going to suck when they got him.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1187390&postcount=42

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1187396&postcount=46

SABRSox
12-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Am I right that Riske was a Type A free agent, but since the Sox didn't offer him arbitration, we don't get a draft pick for losing him?

If that's correct, then why didn't the Sox just offer arbitration to him and then either get the draft pick if he declined or trade him if he accepted?

You can't do a sign and trade in MLB, and they had no idea what he'd get in arbitration. I guess they decided the risk wasn't worth it.

Hitmen77
12-21-2006, 11:29 AM
You can't do a sign and trade in MLB, and they had no idea what he'd get in arbitration. I guess they decided the risk wasn't worth it.

If I'm not mistaken, that only applies to free agents. I thought you could trade someone that goes through arbitration. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but any confirmation would be appreciated.

the gooch
12-21-2006, 12:08 PM
if he just signed a one-year deal with a bottom feeder (though they look like they are trying something in KC), he definitely would have accepted arbitration with a contender. This makes me feel good about not offering arbitration, because there is no way we would have gotten a draft pick out of him.

Foulke You
12-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Why? We gave up a non-roster invitee to get him. At least we didn't give up a package involving Andy Marte to get him. :o:

As SoxSpeed pointed out, I think the Dotel/Riske moves were made with future prospects in mind. Veteran relievers (even mediocre ones) are always in demand around the trade deadline, especially ones that have no long term financial commitments. The Royals will hedge their bets and see how their team performs in '07 but they know that they'll probably fall off the pace because they don't have the guns to hang with the Twins, Sox, and Tigers. When this happens, they will trade off their 1 year deal guys for prospects. It isn't that bad of a strategy for a low budget team that is rebuilding.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-21-2006, 03:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that only applies to free agents. I thought you could trade someone that goes through arbitration. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but any confirmation would be appreciated.

I just skimmed through the CBA (not all that well written). I think that you are correct - it is only the players signed after the "election period", which is defined as the Arbitration Period, who are subject to staying with the team until June 15. However, it looks like it is basically just a no-trade clause and the player could waive it and be traded prior to June 15.

Here's the relevant section:
(a) Any Club signing a contract after the expiration of the election period with a Player under this Section B may not assign his contract until after the next June 15. However, notwithstanding the foregoing, such contract may be assigned for other Player contracts and/or cash consideration of $50,000 or less prior to the next June 16 if the Player gives written consent to such transaction.

palehozenychicty
12-21-2006, 05:20 PM
if he just signed a one-year deal with a bottom feeder (though they look like they are trying something in KC), he definitely would have accepted arbitration with a contender. This makes me feel good about not offering arbitration, because there is no way we would have gotten a draft pick out of him.

Dayton Moore did apprentice under Schuerholz for years, so he ought to have a clue. Yet again, Krivsky worked under Terry Ryan in Minny and some have said that he's been awful so far e.g. Kearns/Lopez for reliever stiffs. We'll see, as KC has young position prospects with upside.

thomas35forever
12-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Kay-See - The perfect place for him to screw his career even further.

MrRoboto83
12-22-2006, 03:23 AM
I guess I will have to get rid of my Riske jersey now. :whiner:

chisoxfanatic
12-22-2006, 10:06 AM

Where did Ambiorix Burgos go?

I don't mind this at all. We appear to have a pretty nice bullpen set.

SoxSpeed22
12-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Where did Ambiorix Burgos go?The Mets, for Brian Bannister, the son of Floyd Bannister.

chaerulez
12-22-2006, 12:41 PM
I still don't understand why KW didn't offer him arbitraition. Unless he thought Riske would accept, even then he could've traded him to a team like the Royals for cheap. But if Riske declined and signed elsewhere, the Sox could've gotten a compensation pick.

soxfanreggie
12-26-2006, 07:15 PM
I'd rather take less money from the Sox and have a realistic chance at a ring than play for a AAAA club like the Royals that have a "prize" acquisition of Gil Meche.

Unregistered
12-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Oh well - I guess now is the last time I'll be using this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4492&d=1150521414

:bandance:

soxfanreggie
12-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Slap some blue on it and some KC clothes and you can use it when we're hitting homers off of him :D: , as in "Putting him in against the Sox is...Riske Business!"

Fake Chet Lemon
12-28-2006, 12:48 PM

I guess no use having a good bullpen if your team blows. It's kind of useless as the Cubs proved with Howry and Eyre last year. That was $8mildo down the tube for the Cubbies last year.

SOXSINCE'70
01-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Slap some blue on it and some KC clothes and you can use it when we're hitting homers off of him :D: , as in "Putting him in against the Sox is...Riske Business!"

He might snap his neck watching the flight on the
straight 87 MPH heaters he throws to Konerko,
Dye,Thome or Crede.:D: :D:

Arkham
01-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Of course, that Gil Meche contract could become untradeable

Could? That contract became untradeable the minute the ink dried. Is there any other team in baseball stupid enough to give Gil Meche $55M?