PDA

View Full Version : LOL@ Sullivan's article today

PatK
12-20-2006, 12:05 PM
http://http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061219cubs,1,6115652.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed (http://http//www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061219cubs,1,6115652.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed)

Oh my God, only Cubune would be stupid enough to make out Larry Rothschild as some kind of miracle worker.

CaptainBallz
12-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Link no work...

aha--there's two http:'s...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061219cubs,1,6115652.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

Quite the doosy from CubHQ... No worries Cubs fans, Rothschild will make right outta him, like he has so many others.:rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2006, 12:32 PM
There were nice articles about the Cubs, Blackhawks, Bulls and Bears in today's rag. Didn't we use to have another major sports team in Chicago? They won something or other recently, didn't they?

SOXPHILE
12-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Had to laugh when I read that article. Me thinks the Cubune is in full spin mode on this, because of the the talk about them overpaying for a mediocre pitcher, at best. I love how Sullivan says the Cubs think the Cardinals "damaged Marquis' psyche when they asked him to take a pounding in a couple of games", including giving up 13 runs to the White Sox. Yeah, right. They "asked" him to go out there and get lit up. This is just the Cubune telling the criminally stupid Blue Sheep that everything is alright here, we've made GREAT moves in the offseason, don't worry, etc.

PaulDrake
12-20-2006, 12:54 PM
http://http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061219cubs,1,6115652.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed (http://http//www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061219cubs,1,6115652.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed)

Oh my God, only Cubune would be stupid enough to make out Larry Rothschild as some kind of miracle worker. That really got my gag reflex in overdrive. Why did I waste my time?

maurice
12-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Wait, they're saying that the CARDS coaching staff is the one that damages pitchers and makes them perform worse, while the CUBS staff heals and improves them?
:rolleyes:

Chez
12-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Isn't Dave Duncan generally held in high regard as a pitching coach? Certainly in higher regard than Rothschild is. Anyone spotted Marquis doing the towel throw yet?

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Isn't Dave Duncan generally held in high regard as a pitching coach? Certainly in higher regard than Rothschild is. Anyone spotted Marquis doing the towel throw yet?Not in Cubune spin world. That's all this is.

southside rocks
12-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Wow, this bit was hilarious: "The Cubs believe the Cardinals damaged Marquis' psyche when they asked him to take a pounding in a couple of games—13 runs in five innings against the White Sox and 12 runs in five innings against Atlanta—that destroyed his ERA."

So -- he gets shelled because he's a lousy pitcher, and after that shelling he's no longer a lousy pitcher, he's a guy with a "damaged psyche"?

:redneck Makes perfect sense to me!

Iwritecode
12-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Quite the doosy from CubHQ... No worries Cubs fans, Rothschild will make right outta him, like he has so many others.:rolleyes:

Well just look what he was able to do with Wood. Is he still throwing across his body?

And Prior he didn't even have to touch. He had perfect mechanics already.

:roflmao:

PatK
12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
I love how Sullivan says the Cubs think the Cardinals "damaged Marquis' psyche when they asked him to take a pounding in a couple of games", including giving up 13 runs to the White Sox.

I also love how they blame those "couple of games" for his ERA. The guy pitched almost 200 innings.

Vernam
12-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Wow, this bit was hilarious: "The Cubs believe the Cardinals damaged Marquis' psyche when they asked him to take a pounding in a couple of games—13 runs in five innings against the White Sox and 12 runs in five innings against Atlanta—that destroyed his ERA."Right! Facing the Sox twice per year will probably throw him into a deep depression. :redneck

I'm going to enjoy all this Trib-bashing until another purge of the Flubsessed comes along. :duck: I'm guessing pretty soon now . . .

Vernam

WhiteSox5187
12-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Yea, I don't get the fascination with Rothschild. I USED to think he was a good pitching coach, but then Wood and Prior kept breaking down and it was like "Jeez, that's gotta be a mechanics thing." He's the anti-thesis of Coop, Coop does get pitchers to start pitching (look at how well he has done with guys like MacDoogal and Thornton) and his starters consistently throw 175+ innings. With the exception of Contreras (who is fifty) how many starters have been injured while Coop has been in charge?

PennStater98r
12-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Had to laugh when I read that article. Me thinks the Cubune is in full spin mode on this, because of the the talk about them overpaying for a mediocre pitcher, at best. I love how Sullivan says the Cubs think the Cardinals 'damaged Marquis' psyche when they asked him to take a pounding in a couple of games", including giving up 13 runs to the White Sox. Yeah, right. They "asked" him to go out there and get lit up. This is just the Cubune telling the criminally stupid Blue Sheep that everything is alright here, we've made GREAT moves in the offseason, don't worry, etc.

Isn't it also feeding into a blame game - for when he doesn't work out. Doesn't it give Cubs fans more fingers with which to point. Who better than the Cardinals and the White Sox?

"But - but - but..."

fquaye149
12-20-2006, 05:34 PM
I don't see Sullivan claiming Rothschild is a miracle worker. The article, to me, seems to say that Marquis, not Sullivan, is convinced that Rothschild can help him.

StillMissOzzie
12-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I also love how they blame those "couple of games" for his ERA. The guy pitched almost 200 innings.

Department of Fairness:

Steve Stone, whose opinion is generally held in high regard in these parts, thinks Larry Rothschild is a pretty decent pitching coach. However, his only evidence of this is that he was pursued by the Tigers with a 3 year offer, and he turned down that offer to stay with the Cubs.

I don't know where you draw the line between the coaching and the trainer staff, though, for the Cubs' inability to keep their arms healthy.

As for Jason Marquis, I did a little math. Even if you throw out his two horrid starts entirely* (which you shouldn't do, but I did for this exercise), then his pitching line would be this:
14-14 record, 184.3 IP, 105 ER, for an impressive NL ERA of 5.13

Maybe he did get asked to take one for the team in his start vs. the Sox, who had just pummelled the Cards the day before 20-6, using 6 pitchers (Mulder + 5 bullpen), but the Cards needed some innings eaten and he wasn't up to the task.

* If I do throw out these two bad starts, perhaps I should also throw out two of his good starts to really be fair. I might look those up and further revise my calculations.

SMO
:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Department of Fairness:

Steve Stone, whose opinion is generally held in high regard in these parts, thinks Larry Rothschild is a pretty decent pitching coach. However, his only evidence of this is that he was pursued by the Tigers with a 3 year offer, and he turned down that offer to stay with the Cubs.

I don't know where you draw the line between the coaching and the trainer staff, though, for the Cubs' inability to keep their arms healthy.

As for Jason Marquis, I did a little math. Even if you throw out his two horrid starts entirely* (which you shouldn't do, but I did for this exercise), then his pitching line would be this:
14-14 record, 184.3 IP, 105 ER, for an impressive NL ERA of 5.13

Maybe he did get asked to take one for the team in his start vs. the Sox, who had just pummelled the Cards the day before 20-6, using 6 pitchers (Mulder + 5 bullpen), but the Cards needed some innings eaten and he wasn't up to the task.

* If I do throw out these two bad starts, perhaps I should also throw out two of his good starts to really be fair. I might look those up and further revise my calculations.

SMO
:gulp:The fair comparison is to throw out the two worst starts for other pitchers. I'm pretty sure almost every pitcher has a stinker or two each season. Do the same for Mark Buehrle and his 4.99 ERA drops to 4.45. I suspect you'll see about a 0.5 ERA drop for most pitchers.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-20-2006, 08:03 PM
As bad as the Cubune has been of late (and I'm including Phil Rogers in this number), I must single out Paul Sullivan as the absolute worst for serving up the corporate Kool-Aid to the legions of idiots the Cubune needs to keep buying seats next season.

McGrath is now letting all the writers have their picture next to their articles/columns. Paul Sullivan's should have his covered with a paper bag for some of the nonsense he has written lately.
:o:

SOXSINCE'70
12-20-2006, 08:52 PM
There were nice articles about the Cubs, Blackhawks, Bulls and Bears in today's rag. Didn't we use to have another major sports team in Chicago? They won something or other recently, didn't they?

Do you mean the Chicago Wolves??:roflmao: :roflmao:

The sCrUBune strikes again!! The White Sox get
ZERO credit for winning the 2005 World Series.
What else is new??

Hitmen77
12-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Had to laugh when I read that article. Me thinks the Cubune is in full spin mode on this, because of the the talk about them overpaying for a mediocre pitcher, at best. I love how Sullivan says the Cubs think the Cardinals "damaged Marquis' psyche when they asked him to take a pounding in a couple of games", including giving up 13 runs to the White Sox. Yeah, right. They "asked" him to go out there and get lit up. This is just the Cubune telling the criminally stupid Blue Sheep that everything is alright here, we've made GREAT moves in the offseason, don't worry, etc.

So a veteran like Marquis can't handle "taking one for the team" to save his bullpen? Sheesh - I hope the Cubs bullpen doesn't need any rest during the season next year. God knows that if the Cubs are getting blown out, they better run out their entire bullpen in a futile effort in order to preserve his precious "psyche". :rolleyes:

Tragg
12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Hasn't Rothchild been the Cubs pitching coach before?
These names sound so familiar.

bryPt
12-22-2006, 11:49 AM
seriously, it is getting out of hand. Is anyone running the joint over there in the tower or are the inmates running the show?

You would think Morrissey and Downing and the rest of the cubune staff would have a conscience. Or does money really rule their lives and they could care less what kind of lies or crapola they spew in their articles? I mean, that much dedication to toeing the company line and promoting the Cub/dissing the Sox so that they could protect their 401k, ESOP and stock is just plain wrong.

Ol' No. 2
12-22-2006, 12:28 PM
seriously, it is getting out of hand. Is anyone running the joint over there in the tower or are the inmates running the show?

You would think Morrissey and Downing and the rest of the cubune staff would have a conscience. Or does money really rule their lives and they could care less what kind of lies or crapola they spew in their articles? I mean, that much dedication to toeing the company line and promoting the Cub/dissing the Sox so that they could protect their 401k, ESOP and stock is just plain wrong.It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it.

-Upton Sinclair