PDA

View Full Version : Was there ever any chance that Zito wouldn't go to the Mets ?

White Sox Randy
12-20-2006, 12:29 PM
He hasn't signed yet so don't get excited.

But, realistically, hasn't this been a charade from the start ? The Mets ignoring the Zito situation for months and acting disinterested. And, Boras trying to make it sound like Barry will play anywhere and there are a handful of teams that will give him $ 100 mil. YEAH RIGHT!

Zito only wants to play for the Mets and they know that. Texas could offer $ 30 mil. more and Zito might take it grudgingly if BORASS pressures him enough. And, then live to regret it.

I think the Mets are just trying not to pay any more than they have to for Zito because, let's be honest, he's a real good pitcher but he isn't any Johan Santana. He's not a guy that you'll kick yourself the rest of your career for missing out on.

Right ?

CashMan
12-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I would agree with you. Isn't he a fly-ball pitcher? If you Barasss, as you agent, usually there is only one thing on your mind, and that is money.

caulfield12
12-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Don't you think the Rangers already learned their lesson with A-Rod?

White Sox Randy
12-20-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure if the Rangers have learned aany lessons. On the one hand, I think they are spending a crazy amount of money.

On the other hand, they picked up some pretty interesting guys and with their farm system and in that division - they might be looking pretty good right now.

As far as BORASS goes, I think that he would sell Siberia as a wonderful vacation spot if it would line his pockets.

caulfield12
12-20-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure if the Rangers have learned aany lessons. On the one hand, I think they are spending a crazy amount of money.

On the other hand, they picked up some pretty interesting guys and with their farm system and in that division - they might be looking pretty good right now.

As far as BORASS goes, I think that he would sell Siberia as a wonderful vacation spot if it would line his pockets.

PITCHING, PITCHING, PITCHING.

Always the case with the Rangers, for at least the past 15 years.

They have Millwood and Padilla in their rotation.
That's it. Everything else is a question mark.

They have Benoit, Haigwood, Koronka, Loe, Rheinecker, Rupe and Volquez, among others. Two of those guys are former White Sox prospects...

At any rate, can you imagine competing with the A's or Angels with three of those seven guys in the rotation. They made a major mistake trading Young and then trading for Carlos Lee when they were already dead and buried. Eaton got away and didn't do much of anything for them. They have a "questionable" Gagne as their closer.

At best, they're 5-10 games under .500

White Sox Randy
12-20-2006, 02:06 PM

They have Benoit, Haigwood, Koronka, Loe, Rheinecker, Rupe and Volquez, among others. Two of those guys are former White Sox prospects...

At any rate, can you imagine competing with the A's or Angels with three of those seven guys in the rotation. They made a major mistake trading Young and then trading for Carlos Lee when they were already dead and buried. Eaton got away and didn't do much of anything for them. They have a "questionable" Gagne as their closer.

I agree somewhat. No, they don't have enough pitching still. But, most likely Gagne is fine and they have bullpen depth now that they didn't have before.

Otsuka can bring a decent starter back. And, Millwood and Padilla are pretty good. Also, last year Koronka, Loe and Rheinecker weren't that bad.

They've got Volquez, Danks and Diamond on the horizon. They could compete pretty well in that division.

PennStater98r
12-20-2006, 06:36 PM
:borass: "You're talking about a very special guy who has never missed a start," Boras says. "His durability has been rewarded with 102 wins. He has (a Cy Young trophy) in his back pocket. He has three All-Stars. He beat ( Minnesota's Johan) Santana (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6441), the best pitcher in baseball, in the postseason.
"Barry could be one of the best left-handed pitchers of all time. Players like this are Maddux-esque."

:?:

caulfield12
12-20-2006, 07:04 PM
I agree somewhat. No, they don't have enough pitching still. But, most likely Gagne is fine and they have bullpen depth now that they didn't have before.

Otsuka can bring a decent starter back. And, Millwood and Padilla are pretty good. Also, last year Koronka, Loe and Rheinecker weren't that bad.

They've got Volquez, Danks and Diamond on the horizon. They could compete pretty well in that division.

There's no way Otsuka brings a solid starter back, he's not even a proven closer and he's not a fireballer either.

White Sox Randy
12-20-2006, 07:15 PM
I disagree. Otsuka was 32 for 36 in saves. He could easily bring a starter like a John Lieber, if Philly needed a closer.

He will bring a decent starter back, maybe with a minor prospect added.

palehozenychicty
12-21-2006, 06:26 PM
I disagree. Otsuka was 32 for 36 in saves. He could easily bring a starter like a John Lieber, if Philly needed a closer.

He will bring a decent starter back, maybe with a minor prospect added.

He would be a nice set-up man for Gordon and possibly take his place if Gordon falls off, cause he is old/injury prone.

Baby Fisk
12-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Until Zito actually signs with the Mets, he's not a Met.

Yet.

White Sox Randy
12-23-2006, 04:51 PM

I guess NOW we know where they're getting more starting pitching !

thomas35forever
12-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I saw on SI.com last night that the Yankees might enter the Zito race. What are the chances of Zito being the Yankees' big name pick-up this offseason?

Flight #24
12-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I saw on SI.com last night that the Yankees might enter the Zito race. What are the chances of Zito being the Yankees' big name pick-up this offseason?

Now there's the kind of move I think big market teams ought to be making. Trade away a guy who's fading but has a big name for prospects, and then use your big market resources to pay for a younger FA replacement. It's not like they're worried about the financial impact.

StillMissOzzie
12-29-2006, 04:24 AM
Mets......Rangers........Yankees :rolleyes:

Don't quit your day jobs yet, guys.

SMO
:gulp: