PDA

View Full Version : Darin Erstad

bigredrudy
12-20-2006, 11:43 AM
This guy is still out there and plays both center and first. There does not seem to be a lot of interest in him and so he would not be very expensive. He could be a backup at both positions. He plays hard and might need a fresh start. I know about all his injuries and his poor OPS but he might be a better bet than Luis Terrero. And for all we know, he might be better than Brian Anderson. And he has hit second in his career.

PennStater98r
12-20-2006, 11:59 AM
No - no and no. Other than one good season - the guy's been over rated. I just don't think he's got bat.

JohnTucker0814
12-20-2006, 12:06 PM
For the Rowand love that has gone around here, I'm puzzled why people are not asking for Erstad more... He is a gritty, hard nosed player; a la Rowand... BA and OBP are very similar to Rowand... hey he is Rowand from the left side of the plate...

nodiggity59
12-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Sure, for less than $3mil. Would leave us with the over abundance of lefties on the bench though.

White Sox Randy
12-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Never was a big fan...even when he good and young and healthy. He had one really good year.

I like his temperament and would be a good clubhouse guy. If we could get him VERY cheap and have him compete in camp with Terrero and Owens and he shows that he's healthy and playing well.....then I could see him as a 4th OFer.

In no way should he be impeding Brian Anderson's develpment.He's not that good.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Please god the last thing we need is another LH on the bench KW needs to acquire a RH hitting legit 4th OF and no Luis Terrero is not the solution if anything he adds to the problem.

maurice
12-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Ideally, it would be a guy who can bat right-handed and run--like a CF version of Pablo.

White Sox Randy
12-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Ideally, it would be a guy who can bat right-handed and run--like a CF version of Pablo.

You mean like TAVERAS ?

12-20-2006, 02:05 PM
I like it...he would be a good replacement for Gload. He's a gamer with Playoff and WS experience, and KW is a fan of him. I'd do it.

maurice
12-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Sure, if KW can get him cheap.

Ol' No. 2
Ideally, it would be a guy who can bat right-handed and run--like a CF version of Pablo.Why do they need a RH hitter? If they're looking for someone to back up Anderson, I'd think a LH batter would make more sense. He can play once a week or so against tough righties.

mjmcend
You mean like TAVERAS ?

The ability to play the game of baseball was implied. This leaves Willie out of the discussion.

maurice
12-20-2006, 02:36 PM
1. Anderson hit righties at least as well (or rather NOT well) as he hit lefties this year, despite Ozzie's hangup with lefty-righty matchups. Besides, if I'm a young player in the AL, I want a day off when Santana, Sabathia, Johnson, etc. are pitching.

2. Ozzie wants another righty because his bench is lefty-dominant . . . at least that was the reason he gave for rejecting KW's offer to promote Sweeney or Owens last year. (Of course, there were other reasons not to promote Sweeney or Owens, but that's the one Ozzie gave, IIRC.) As it stands, he can only use Ozuna as a righty PH, and he's better utilized as a PR. Hall would be a good PH, but Ozzie probably won't use him that way without another C option.

3. Ozzie likes to rest Podsednik against lefties. If you dislike Ozuna's defense in LF (and many here do), a speedy right-handed OF could help fill this role.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-20-2006, 02:37 PM
1. Anderson hit righties at least as well (or rather NOT well) as he hit lefties this year, despite Ozzie's hangup with lefty-righty matchups. Besides, if I'm a young player in the AL, I want a day off when Santana, Sabathia, Johnson, etc. are pitching.

2. Ozzie wants another righty because his bench is lefty-dominant . . . at least that was the reason he gave for rejecting KW's offer to promote Sweeney or Owens last year. (Of course, there were other reasons not to promote Sweeney or Owens, but that's the one Ozzie gave, IIRC.) As it stands, he can only use Ozuna as a righty PH, and he's better utilized as a PR. Hall would be a good PH, but Ozzie probably won't use him that way without another C option.

3. Ozzie likes to rest Podsednik against lefties. If you dislike Ozuna's defense in LF (and many here do), a speedy right-handed OF could help fill this role.

:yup:

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2006, 02:51 PM

3. Ozzie likes to rest Podsednik against lefties. If you dislike Ozuna's defense in LF (and many here do), a speedy right-handed OF could help fill this role.Anderson hit righties as well as lefties in large part because he sat against the toughest RH pitchers.

Carrying 11 pitchers leaves you with only 4 bench players (not counting backup C), so having only 1 RH bench player isn't as extreme as it sounds, especially when you consider Ozzie's tendancy to play his lefties against RHP, which puts another RH bat on the bench.

I didn't really mind seeing Ozuna in LF once in a while. He's far from a gold-glover, but he was hardly the catastrophe that he was made out to be, especially when you condsider he's replacing Pods, who is only a fair fielder at best.

crazyozzie02
12-20-2006, 03:00 PM
i like it, but i dont for all different reasons

Mickster
12-20-2006, 03:09 PM
i like it, but i dont for all different reasons

Clear as mud. :wink:

Zisk77
12-20-2006, 05:36 PM
I highly dougt he can still play an effective Cf. And we seem to have enough Dh/1b types around here.....so I vote no. Next!:tongue:

Jimmy Piersall
12-20-2006, 06:18 PM
He sure as hell would play it better than Mackowiak,and besides,he's a gamer.If he comes cheap,i sez we get him.He could also take Gload's
job (sorry Jenn ! ) as the late inning defensive sub for Paulie.

palehozenychicty
12-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Ehh, he wasn't that good in his prime. The intangibles are all good, but pass.

markopat
12-21-2006, 12:25 AM
PLEASE SANTA...No Darin Erstad!

rowand33
12-21-2006, 12:46 AM
would he warrant anything more than a minor league contract?

he might be an ok bench player. certainly a good fielder. decent speed. he's hit righties very well over the course of his career. and he's hit well in the cell.

I'd gladly take him on the bench if the price is right.

UserNameBlank
12-21-2006, 01:05 AM
This idea will probably be shot down, but if they both became cheap enough, what about Erstad and Aaron Boone on the bench? Boone can play 3B and provides RH power, plus he can play for a few days in a row if Crede goes down without having to use an option on Fields. Erstad can be the backup 1B and CF and also play for short stretches if need be.

IMO, Cintron will be the sub at both 2B and SS. Erstad is a much better 1B and outfielder than Ozuna or Mackowiak, so basically signing these two would free up Mackowiak or Ozuna for a trade, preferrably Rob since Ozuna has more valuable legs and a better bat.

Just a thought, but both these guys are probably going to be looking at the bench or minor league deals. I think they would make our bench a bit better.

crazyozzie02
12-21-2006, 02:15 AM
i really wouldnt want arron boone of the sox. i dont think that him and aj would get along to fell after what happened in 05.

getonbckthr
12-21-2006, 02:45 AM
i really wouldnt want arron boone of the sox. i dont think that him and aj would get along to fell after what happened in 05.
What are you talking about AJ can teach him the "Boone Walk".

Grzegorz
12-21-2006, 06:05 AM
I didn't really mind seeing Ozuna in LF once in a while. He's far from a gold-glover, but he was hardly the catastrophe that he was made out to be, especially when you condsider he's replacing Pods, who is only a fair fielder at best.

Ozuna is a bad outfielder; worse than Pods played last year.

If there was any player that could have used winterball to hone his outfielding skills it was Ozuna.

I am not sure why the 2007 White Sox feel they have to carry eleven pitchers; shouldn't the performance of Cooper's crew dictate the number of roster spots?

If the price and conditions are right, room on the roster by not having to carry eleven pitchers and Erstad's acceptance of a bench role, I believe Erstad could help this team by backing up Konerko at first base and helping in the outfield.

maurice
12-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Anderson hit righties as well as lefties in large part because he sat against the toughest RH pitchers.

You already know that I don't believe this, so there's no need for me to go into it again. In any event, my point that many (most?) of the toughest pitchers in the AL are lefthanded still stands. KW said the same thing when he announced the Hall signing.

having only 1 RH bench player isn't as extreme as it sounds

You're right that it's not "extreme," but it's less than "ideal." That's all I'm saying.

I agree with you, but I think we may be the minority. I don't know what Ozzie and KW think about this.

TheVulture
12-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Why do they need a RH hitter? If they're looking for someone to back up Anderson, I'd think a LH batter would make more sense. He can play once a week or so against tough righties.

I don't understand that either-

Ozuna RH
Hall RH
Cintron SH
Mack LH
????? LH

Seems like a good balance to me, especially since 2/3 of the regular line-up is RH.

johnnyg83
12-22-2006, 02:12 AM
He's a defensive improvement over Gload in every position. I'd prefer him over Pods in LF in late innings too.

Mohoney
12-22-2006, 06:29 AM
1 year, $1 million and he can play both 1B and CF in a bench role.

Sign me up.

Craig Grebeck
12-22-2006, 10:36 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that Rogo would outperform him as 1B backup. Offensively, he's a liability. He's been below average since 2000 and isn't getting better.

barney27
12-27-2006, 09:36 AM
This guy is still out there and plays both center and first. There does not seem to be a lot of interest in him and so he would not be very expensive. He could be a backup at both positions. He plays hard and might need a fresh start. I know about all his injuries and his poor OPS but he might be a better bet than Luis Terrero. And for all we know, he might be better than Brian Anderson. And he has hit second in his career.
I say wait alittle bit then sign him to a minor league contract when all other options for him are gone. Let him prove he can still play CF, if he can't cut him or send him down.