PDA

View Full Version : Final Farewell for Tiger Stadium

dcb56
12-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Too bad the Sox don't open the season in Detroit next year becuase if they did I'd definitely plan a trip to check this out:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061218/UPDATE/612180429

DoItForDanPasqua
12-19-2006, 05:53 PM
I would love to go, but is it worth missing the Sox opener?

chisoxmike
12-19-2006, 05:54 PM

No.

Fenway
12-19-2006, 06:00 PM
from the Free Press

The City of Detroit hosted a 90-minute tour of Tiger Stadium on Monday for representatives of 10 companies seeking the rights to auction stadium memorabilia next year.
Firms toured the city-owned stadium that saw its last major league game played on Sept. 27, 1999.
We hope to get "as much money as possible from the sale," said Matt Allen, press secretary for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, adding that $3 million was raised from a renovation of Fenway Park in Boston. :?: :?:

The only thing the Red Sox have sold was the grass from 2004.....

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612190330

I want Mags back
12-20-2006, 12:43 PM

ahhhhhh......no

Madvora
12-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Allen said the interior is so dilapidated that there are several feet of standing water in some places.
Feet!? Wow!

crazyozzie02
12-20-2006, 03:04 PM
it was kinda sad reading this article. Knowing how many historic moments and players played there, and to have it in that condition, its depressing. i know if old comiskey was still there, i wouldnt want it like that

Rocky Soprano
12-20-2006, 03:18 PM
it was kinda sad reading this article. Knowing how many historic moments and players played there, and to have it in that condition, its depressing. i know if old comiskey was still there, i wouldnt want it like that

Exactly!

Only in Detroit.

ewokpelts
12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Exactly!

Only in Detroit.there have been TONS of people that have offered to restore the site, even partially.....but illitch and his lobbyists hold too much power in this...the city charged a special ticket tax in 1999 to finance demolition, but the money was instead spent on hiring the tigers grounds crew to maintain the lawn and for security. now, the city cant afford to tear down the site. and they let the stadium rot. most of the seats are now unsellable.

at least the sox took some care in demolishing comiskey

Fenway
12-20-2006, 03:33 PM

I posted these photos back in June. To drive up to that stadium is surreal.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72584

It was Saturday afternoon and the area around Michigan and Trumbull was devoid of any sign of human life. It really felt like visiting a ghost town in Arizona. What amazed me was nobody in the past 6 years stole the bleacher entrance sign.

Michigan Avenue hasn't been paved in years and is worn down to red brick pavement and you can see the old streetcar tracks. The most depressing thing is the entire city is like that. It is obvious that 50 years ago it was a very vibrant city with a great downtown area. Hudson's Department Store downtown was the second largest in the country after Macy's in Manhattan. (http://www.detroityes.com/downtown/09hudsons.htm)
I believe where Hudson's stood is now Ford Field.

People talk about East St. Louis and Camden, NJ being horrific cities but can anything top the decline of Detroit? It is simply depressing to visit.

Oblong
12-20-2006, 06:52 PM
I posted these photos back in June. To drive up to that stadium is surreal.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72584

It was Saturday afternoon and the area around Michigan and Trumbull was devoid of any sign of human life. It really felt like visiting a ghost town in Arizona. What amazed me was nobody in the past 6 years stole the bleacher entrance sign.

Michigan Avenue hasn't been paved in years and is worn down to red brick pavement and you can see the old streetcar tracks. The most depressing thing is the entire city is like that. It is obvious that 50 years ago it was a very vibrant city with a great downtown area. Hudson's Department Store downtown was the second largest in the country after Macy's in Manhattan. (http://www.detroityes.com/downtown/09hudsons.htm)
I believe where Hudson's stood is now Ford Field.

People talk about East St. Louis and Camden, NJ being horrific cities but can anything top the decline of Detroit? It is simply depressing to visit.

Ford Field is the old Hudson's Warehouse. They were going to keep one of the walls up, they even cleaned up the bricks but something must have happened because they knocked it down. The Hudson's dept store is where Compuware's headquarters are located.

http://www.compuware.com/images/misc/r_cpwr2.gif

What's great about Compuware is that the owner and Ilitch do not get along. Karmanos owns the carolina hurricanes and guess who had a big Stanley Cup celebration just a few blocks from "Hockeytown Cafe"?

The City of Detroit is inept at keeping up it's buildings and historical artifacts. It's criminal.

As for Tiger Stadium. I'm not going back. I said my goodbye on Sept. 27 1999. Going back now would be like digging up grandma's corpse for one last look.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-21-2006, 12:15 AM

The article said the public would be allowed a final goodbye before Opening day. IMO, this will be held the weekend before Opening Day or prior, not on Opening Day itself. I am sure the club would rather have fans focus on the AL Champion Tigers and their current stadium come Opening Day.

Tigers Stadium was always one of my favorite based on the fact all the seats were so close to the action. I was at the last game played there and wouldn't mind being on hand one last time before they knock it down.

MrRoboto83
12-21-2006, 02:06 AM
As for Tiger Stadium. I'm not going back. I said my goodbye on Sept. 27 1999. Going back now would be like digging up grandma's corpse for one last look.

Nicely put! I don't blame you one bit. It would make me sad to even walk into that stadium.

crazyozzie02
12-21-2006, 02:21 AM
you guys are lucky. I have never been there, but i would have killed to go there before they closed it. I actually had tickets for the last sox-tigers series played their, but my parents had to sell the tickets becasue our car got banged up. I wouldnt mind going, but im afraid that seeing it in that condition would ruin the image that i have of it in my head.

MUsoxfan
12-21-2006, 02:28 AM
but im afraid that seeing it in that condition would ruin the image that i have of it in my head.

It would. It did that for me and I merely walked around the perimeter of the exterior early this year

soxfanreggie
12-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I bet they can raise tons of money from an auction, even with a lot of dilapidated stuff. With how well the Tigers did last year, this is the best time to have a sale.

itsnotrequired
12-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Feet!? Wow!

Not that surprising. Without maintenance, the drainage system likely has clogs and any of the sump pits have certainly overflowed.