PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis columnist votes for McGwire

Fenway
12-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I still think he will get less than 40% of the votes

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/2713BF1E7B832BFD862572470015AE04?OpenDocument
Unlike many of my colleagues who now fashionably demonize McGwire less than a decade after fawning over his 70 home-run pyrotechnics and transforming him into a national hero, I refuse to be two-faced.

If a voting member of the Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) held fire on the topic of McGwire and steroids in 1998, they surrendered the moral high ground on the debate over his Hall of Fame credentials.

If a voting member of the BBWAA chose to glorify McGwire in 1998, then they're being phonies if they condemn him now, because we had strong steroid suspicions in '98.

My "Yes" for McGwire is also a vote against blatant hypocrisy.

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2006, 04:28 PM

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/2713BF1E7B832BFD862572470015AE04?OpenDocumentSo if you do something stupid, it's better to continue doing said stupid thing rather than admit you were wrong. Who's he kidding?

samram
12-19-2006, 04:33 PM
So if you do something stupid, it's better to continue doing said stupid thing rather than admit you were wrong. Who's he kidding?

He also seems to be assuming that all the information available now was available then. I think he probably voted for him simply because he didn't want to catch the ****storm from St. Louis fans he would have if he didn't vote for him.

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2006, 05:47 PM
He also seems to be assuming that all the information available now was available then. I think he probably voted for him simply because he didn't want to catch the ****storm from St. Louis fans he would have if he didn't vote for him.Steve Wilshire blew the whistle on McGwire's Andro use in 1998. The story was ignored by the rest of the media and Wilshire was almost banned from the Cards clubhouse. Maybe the reason it took so long for all the details of steroid use to come out is because reporters like this putz didn't do their jobs.

http://talks.php.net/presentations/slides/debugging/evil.jpg

Blueprint1
12-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Steve Wilshire blew the whistle on McGwire's Andro use in 1998. The story was ignored by the rest of the media and Wilshire was almost banned from the Cards clubhouse. Maybe the reason it took so long for all the details of steroid use to come out is because the reporters like this putz didn't do their jobs.

http://talks.php.net/presentations/slides/debugging/evil.jpg

What an annoying season. I was in Carbondale so I had St.Louis and Cubs fans putting up homerun scores on the tower windows. Some of these same people still think they didn't do steroids.

I hate when People say these two saved baseball. I think the Yankees getting good again had a lot to do with the popularity of the game. When New York is good New Yorks tunes in.

daveeym
12-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Steve Wilshire blew the whistle on McGwire's Andro use in 1998. The story was ignored by the rest of the media and Wilshire was almost banned from the Cards clubhouse. Maybe the reason it took so long for all the details of steroid use to come out is because reporters like this putz didn't do their jobs.

http://talks.php.net/presentations/slides/debugging/evil.jpg While I believe he did steroids and I wouldn't have voted for him, the andro issue really is apples and oranges since it wasn't banned or illegal to purchase back then. I'm not going to demonize guys on creatine if they ban it in the future and Mac doesn't deserve it for andro. There's enough questions with him without the andro.

AnkleSox
12-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty of Chicago writers voting for Sosa when the time comes....

PaulDrake
12-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Even if you totally ignore steroids what's so special about McGwire? Gary Gaetti, Juan Gonzalez, Vada Pinson, Andres Galaragga, Joe Carter, Larry Walker, Harold Baines, Dwight Evans, Fred McGriff and Tony Perez have more extra base hits than McGwire. Jim Rice, Rusty Staub, Dave Parker, Jeff Bagwell, and Andre Dawson, have more RBIs. When at least some of them get in the Hall of Fame, then maybe it would be time to give McGwire some consideration. That is, if you don't care about the steroids.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2006, 12:22 PM
While I believe he did steroids and I wouldn't have voted for him, the andro issue really is apples and oranges since it wasn't banned or illegal to purchase back then. I'm not going to demonize guys on creatine if they ban it in the future and Mac doesn't deserve it for andro. There's enough questions with him without the andro.But the andro was just the tip of the iceberg, which they would have found out if they just spent some time doing their jobs. Selig & Co. did their best to sweep it under the rug and the writers were happy to go along.

Palehose13
12-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty of Chicago writers voting for Sosa when the time comes....

Yep and they will be wrong too.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-20-2006, 07:57 PM

The next clear-minded thought on this subject to come out of St. Louis will be the first.

Some people say Cincinnati's fans are blind to the faults of their local hero, Pete Rose. These folks have never been to St. Louis.

Everything is better there. Just ask 'em.

:cool:

daveeym
12-20-2006, 09:09 PM
But the andro was just the tip of the iceberg, which they would have found out if they just spent some time doing their jobs. Selig & Co. did their best to sweep it under the rug and the writers were happy to go along.
I'll agree with that.

ewokpelts
12-21-2006, 02:11 AM
What an annoying season. I was in Carbondale so I had St.Louis and Cubs fans putting up homerun scores on the tower windows. Some of these same people still think they didn't do steroids.

I hate when People say these two saved baseball. I think the Yankees getting good again had a lot to do with the popularity of the game. When New York is good New Yorks tunes in.the yankees didnt save anything...thier "dynasty" had some of the lowest rated WS in history.
2000 was the then lowest(later broken by 2002 and 2005)
people HATE the yankees