PDA

View Full Version : ESPN looks ahead to next year's FA market

maurice
12-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2702125)

The featured potential-FAs are Jason Jennings, Carlos Zambrano, Ichiro Suzuki, Carlos Guillen, Toriiii Hunter, Andruw Jones, and our very own JD. (Wells is off the market.)

Some interesting possibilities. Maybe a team (not us) falls out of contention and puts their guy on the market before the deadline. How does a mid-season upgrade from Podsednik to Suzuki sound? KW reportedly went after Jones in the past and could do so again. Will KW decide to give up on a superstar OF and instead extend his starting rotation? Will KW extend JD with Sweeney on the horizon? With the recent FA spending spree, how many teams will have enough free $$$ to sign these guys?

It's WAY too early to tell, but it should be interesting.

asboog
12-19-2006, 02:54 PM
How does a mid-season upgrade from Podsednik to Suzuki sound?

Sounds great put it won't happen

maurice
12-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Maybe I should have put that in deeppink.

OTOH, if Suzuki does hit the market, I suspect that KW will take a long, hard look.

Iguana775
12-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Maybe I should have put that in deeppink.

OTOH, if Suzuki does hit the market, I suspect that KW will take a long, hard look.

And then Ol' Jerry will say 'He costs too much..." (quoted by the Cubune)

:redneck

spiffie
12-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2702125)

The featured potential-FAs are Jason Jennings, Carlos Zambrano, Ichiro Suzuki, Carlos Guillen, Toriiii Hunter, Andruw Jones, and our very own JD. (Wells is off the market.)

How the Cubs failed to lock up Zambrano is beyond me. If he has another year like he has had the last few years he's going to get 6/115 or so, as I can only think of one other pitcher who if put on the open market right now would likely be a bigger catch (Johan of course).

VenturaFan23
12-19-2006, 04:51 PM
How the Cubs failed to lock up Zambrano is beyond me. If he has another year like he has had the last few years he's going to get 6/115 or so, as I can only think of one other pitcher who if put on the open market right now would likely be a bigger catch (Johan of course).

They don't need Zambrano. They locked up pitching superstars Lilly and Marquis for years to come.

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2006, 05:16 PM
They don't need Zambrano. They locked up pitching superstars Lilly and Marquis for years to come.Which may make it impossible for them to afford Zambrano. This is what happens when you throw money at mediocrity. Nice work, Hendry.

Jerksticks
12-19-2006, 05:19 PM
They don't need Zambrano. They locked up pitching superstars Lilly and Marquis for years to come.

Don't forget they still have Larry Rothsthshild (worst name ever). If he can nurture Hill n Marshall like he did Wood n Prior- then Zambarno becomes totally expendible.

The Immigrant
12-19-2006, 05:38 PM
If he can nurture Hill n Marshall like he did Wood n Prior- then Zambarno becomes totally expendible.

:?:

My brain...it hurts.

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2006, 05:43 PM
:?:

My brain...it hurts.You n me both.

jabrch
12-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Which may make it impossible for them to afford Zambrano. This is what happens when you throw money at mediocrity. Nice work, Hendry.

If they don't resign Carlos Zambrano next offseason, then this offseason will be the biggest disaster in Cubs history.

batmanZoSo
12-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Which may make it impossible for them to afford Zambrano. This is what happens when you throw money at mediocrity. Nice work, Hendry.

Hey it pleased local reporters. Isn't that what it's all about?

WizardsofOzzie
12-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Don't forget they still have Larry Rothsthshild (worst name ever). If he can nurture Hill n Marshall like he did Wood n Prior- then Zambarno becomes totally expendible.
Who's Zambarno? Is that like Zambrano's brother who he was talking to on the internet so much that one year?? :D:

Hitmen77
12-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Interesting how the Cubune constantly talks about Buehrle being a goner because his contract is up next year - but there's absolutely no mention of Zambrano being up for FA too.

maurice
12-19-2006, 08:49 PM
How the Cubs failed to lock up Zambrano is beyond me.

Keep in mind that they remain the Loveable Losers.

Zambrano obviously cares about the outcome of the games he starts. He tries real hard to win and gets mad when they lose. He takes a beating from his incompetent managers and doesn't complain or go on the DL. That makes him insufficiently "loveable" and insufficiently "losery" for the Friendly Confines. Kerry Wood, OTOH . . . .

Domeshot17
12-19-2006, 08:53 PM
This season will have a lot of impact on Zambrano I think. He really really wants a CY YOUNG, and he admits it (which I can respect). If the Cubs continue to not be able to win for him, It won't be long until he says "peace out" (probably via email).

spiffie
12-20-2006, 09:44 AM
This season will have a lot of impact on Zambrano I think. He really really wants a CY YOUNG, and he admits it (which I can respect). If the Cubs continue to not be able to win for him, It won't be long until he says "peace out" (probably via email).
In which case I hope Mr. Williams is clearing the financial decks for the 2007 offseason. Yes he's insane, and he points at the sky, and blah blah blah. Sign him to a 6 year front-loaded deal. The kid is a freaking horse, and would be an anchor for the rotation for years to come.

White Sox Randy
12-20-2006, 11:20 AM

Some interesting possibilities. Maybe a team (not us) falls out of contention and puts their guy on the market before the deadline. How does a mid-season upgrade from Podsednik to Suzuki sound? KW reportedly went after Jones in the past and could do so again. Will KW decide to give up on a superstar OF and instead extend his starting rotation? Will KW extend JD with Sweeney on the horizon? With the recent FA spending spree, how many teams will have enough free $$$ to sign these guys?

I can definitely see Kenny trading Buehrle at the deadline. But, I would think for young pitching. I can't imagine him trading for Ichiro or Jones or any other rent a player.

He would only do the reverse, trade prospects. That could happen but with the way they are going about it now, I don't think so. It looks like they want to start working in some youth each year.

maurice
12-20-2006, 11:47 AM
If we're in contention at the deadline and Ichiro becomes available for prospects as a "rental," I suspect that KW will be all over it . . . along with many other contending teams. The good news is that we probably have more MLB-ready minor-leaguers than some other contending teams.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2006, 12:26 PM
If we're in contention at the deadline and Ichiro becomes available for prospects as a "rental," I suspect that KW will be all over it . . . along with many other contending teams. The good news is that we probably have more MLB-ready minor-leaguers than some other contending teams.It all depends on what the team is doing. If Anderson and Podsednik are playing like the did in 2006, then he'd definately be interested in Ichiro. But if Anderson comes around and Podsednik is playing like the first-half 2005 version, why blow valuable prospects on Ichiro?

Goose
12-20-2006, 12:46 PM
It all depends on what the team is doing. If Anderson and Podsednik are playing like the did in 2006, then he'd definately be interested in Ichiro. But if Anderson comes around and Podsednik is playing like the first-half 2005 version, why blow valuable prospects on Ichiro?

Because Ichiro does it year in and year out for a number of seasons now. This is to say he is consistent, unlike Pods. Brian is still young...can't give up on him yet.

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Because Ichiro does it year in and year out for a number of seasons now. This is to say he is consistent, unlike Pods. Brian is still young...can't give up on him yet.Year in and year out is irrelevant. Don't imagine Ichiro can't have a poor month or two just like anyone else. He won't come cheap - probably at least two top pitching prospects. I wouldn't spend that much on a two-month rental except to fill a serious deficiency.

White Sox Randy
12-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Because Ichiro does it year in and year out for a number of seasons now. This is to say he is consistent, unlike Pods. Brian is still young...can't give up on him yet.

His consistency would only mean something to the Sox if they had him long term but that's very unlikely that the Sox will bid that high for him.

Is it too much too hope that our Shingo, Iguchi connections help us with Ichiro ?

maurice
12-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Ideally, everybody we have will have a great year, and a deadline deal will be unnecessary. I'm hopeful that Podsednik will bounce back, but IMO it's probable that Suzuki's late-2007 production will be substantially better than Podsednik's late-2007 production. It seems like Pods' legs wear down in the second half, even when Ozzie rests him a lot.

Hitmen77
12-22-2006, 08:03 AM

They list the JD's likelihood of signing an extension and staying put as a "long shot". Does everyone agree with this assessment? They bring up some good arguments - insane market, his monster numbers last year, his age. JD doesn't seem like the take the money and run type like Magglio. But, then again this is a business.

They don't even mention Buehrle in this article. I wonder what his chances are of signing an extension? I know according to Phil Rogers it's zero, but I think he's misquoting KW and/or misinterpreting the Sox game plan.

Madvora
12-22-2006, 09:38 AM
I can definitely see Kenny trading Buehrle at the deadline. But, I would think for young pitching. I can't imagine him trading for Ichiro or Jones or any other rent a player.
I don't think that's going to happen because I expect the Sox to be in contention next year. Usually starting players don't leave a successful team in the middle of the year, especially pitchers.

maurice
12-22-2006, 11:42 AM
They list the JD's likelihood of signing an extension and staying put as a "long shot". Does everyone agree with this assessment?

There are WAY too many variables. Do the Sox make the playoffs? Does Dye stay healthy? Does he replicate his 2006 numbers? How many other bats are available during the offseason? How does Sweeney do at Charlotte? Does KW deal for another OF? etc.

FedEx227
12-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Rentals are never a good idea, even though I'd love to have Ichiro if we only have him for 2-months and give up prospects its a loss in my mind.

itsnotrequired
12-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Rentals are never a good idea, even though I'd love to have Ichiro if we only have him for 2-months and give up prospects its a loss in my mind.

There is a time and place for rentals but that rental needs to be the last piece needed to make a World Series team.

jabrch
12-23-2006, 12:13 AM
In which case I hope Mr. Williams is clearing the financial decks for the 2007 offseason. Yes he's insane, and he points at the sky, and blah blah blah. Sign him to a 6 year front-loaded deal. The kid is a freaking horse, and would be an anchor for the rotation for years to come.

Not happening...If he leaves the Cubs, he ends up getting something like 6 years and 120mm. He won't get that here.

whitesoxfan1986
12-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Zambrano will be a Met or Yankee in 2008 IMO.

chaerulez
12-23-2006, 01:48 PM

The Cubs will be real lucky if either of them turn out to be good as Zambrano. On a good team, he would've had a much better record (probably 20 games) and would've been a Cy Young canadiate. Not to mention he's proven his worth on a NL team with his bat too. I know he's not very popular with Sox fans, but he's like AJ you love to hate him when he plays for another team but if he's on your team he's a player you love.

soltrain21
12-23-2006, 02:26 PM
The Cubs will be real lucky if either of them turn out to be good as Zambrano. On a good team, he would've had a much better record (probably 20 games) and would've been a Cy Young canadiate. Not to mention he's proven his worth on a NL team with his bat too. I know he's not very popular with Sox fans, but he's like AJ you love to hate him when he plays for another team but if he's on your team he's a player you love.

I disagree. AJ doesn't have huge meltdowns that cost his team games. Zambrano does. I hate that guy.

oeo
12-23-2006, 02:38 PM

The two are nothing alike. Zambozo has head problems, AJ just likes to get into your head. Ironically, AJ has done it to the Bozo numerous times.

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2006, 06:05 PM
The Sox now have the prospects to deal for Ichiro, if the Sox wanted and needed him.

The Dude
12-23-2006, 10:00 PM
How does a mid-season upgrade from Podsednik to Suzuki sound?
Like **** because it means we had to deal with him for another half of a season! :wired: